Would evangelism be useless if everyone worships Jesus?

Hestha

Jun 1, 2012
✟8,272.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Since evangelism is so important to the Christian faith, then would it be useless if everyone already worships Jesus?

Let's imagine a hypothetical world where everyone is a Christian (not possible, just imagine). If everyone is a Christian who expresses a personal relationship with God, then there is no point in evangelism, right?

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,044.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Since evangelism is so important to the Christian faith, then would it be useless if everyone already worships Jesus?

Let's imagine a hypothetical world where everyone is a Christian (not possible, just imagine). If everyone is a Christian who expresses a personal relationship with God, then there is no point in evangelism, right?

Nope. Christians need the Gospel preached to them. In the words of St. Paul it is the "power of God to save all who believe". The Gospel is the life-blood of Christianity. Likewise if the whole world were Christian there would still be prayer, repentance, confession, and absolution.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,149.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
True enough, until the next person gets born. Then you'll have someone who needs to be raised in the faith and "evangelized" to that way.

This isn't to say that the Gospel message would not continue to be reinforced among the believers. I'm just saying if you're in, there's no need to bring you in again, which is what evangelism is about - the bringing in.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,044.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
True enough, until the next person gets born. Then you'll have someone who needs to be raised in the faith and "evangelized" to that way.

This isn't to say that the Gospel message would not continue to be reinforced among the believers. I'm just saying if you're in, there's no need to bring you in again, which is what evangelism is about - the bringing in.

It's not about "bringing in" it's about proclaiming Gospel. That's what evangelism means. Gospel-ing. The proclamation of the Gospel isn't about trying to convert people to Christianity, but announcing what God has accomplished and is accomplishing, the Victory of God for us through Christ. We preach the Gospel, God draws us to Himself. Christ, our Lord, says,

"And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to Myself." - John 12:32

By the cross upon which He was crucified He saves and is saving us and all whom God calls. Yes the power of the Gospel is the Word that goes forth and by which God draws and saves; it is also the same Word that is now saving us, absolving us, and comforts us as we repent daily and confess our sins.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

talitha

Cultivate Honduras
Nov 5, 2004
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
Visit site
✟22,601.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

Right. One day, every knee will bow and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of Yahweh, the Father. At that point, it will no longer be necessary to go out as "fishers of men". Many things will no longer be necessary at that point. The Bible is clear on that.

Upvote 0

ephraimanesti

Senior Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Seattle, WA
✟23,171.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

MY FRIEND,

Strange question! EVANGELISM is conducted only in order to bring people who do not yet know the Lord into acceptance and a loving relationship with Him. Should, through the Grace of God, everyone in the world have developed this loving relationship with their Lord, evangelism would become irrelevant, and having served its purpose, disappear.

:bow:ABBA'S FOOL,
ephraim

Upvote 0