Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Sure, it's 1 Cor 10:17.. and sorry, it's not ye, it's we.

For we being many are one bread, and one body: for we are all partakers of that one bread.

I think this is one instance where the English in the KJV can be misunderstood. Here is the ESV version of the same verses.

1 Corinthians 10:14-22
Therefore, my beloved, flee from idolatry. I speak as to sensible people; judge for yourselves what I say. The cup of blessing that we bless, is it not a participation in the blood of Christ? The bread that we break, is it not a participation in the body of Christ? Because there is one bread, we who are many are one body, for we all partake of the one bread. Consider the people of Israel: are not those who eat the sacrifices participants in the altar? What do I imply then? That food offered to idols is anything, or that an idol is anything? No, I imply that what pagans sacrifice they offer to demons and not to God. I do not want you to be participants with demons. You cannot drink the cup of the Lord and the cup of demons. You cannot partake of the table of the Lord and the table of demons. Shall we provoke the Lord to jealousy? Are we stronger than he?

This emphasizes that the one loaf of bread that is shared and the cup that is shared is what brings about the communion of the worshipers. This communion is not one of idolatry; because this is the bread and cup of the Lord. It is this sharing in the communion that builds up the church. In sharing the body of Christ (literal) we become part of the body of Christ (metaphor for the church). Where you see one term used in an identical way, I see one term used in two different ways to make a point about a spiritual mystery.

Reactions: tadoflamb
Upvote 0

ThatTrueLight

John 1:9
Feb 12, 2015
✟2,579.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In sharing the body of Christ (literal) we become part of the body of Christ (metaphor for the church). Where you see one term used in an identical way, I see one term used in two different ways to make a point about a spiritual mystery.

Sheer nonsense.. we are members of the body of Christ because God sealed us with the Holy Spirit of promise after we believed the gospel. That's why, and we are His flesh and bone because we are His future bride to be..

So what precedent do you know of where the bride eats her husband?

Upvote 0

tz620q

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2007
Carmel, IN
✟574,516.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Sheer nonsense.. we are members of the body of Christ because God sealed us with the Holy Spirit of promise after we believed the gospel. That's why, and we are His flesh and bone because we are His future bride to be..

So what precedent do you know of where the bride eats her husband?

So when you say that we are Christ's flesh and bone you mean this literally? That we are actually of the same substance as God (homooúsios)?

Upvote 0

ThatTrueLight

Feb 12, 2015
✟2,579.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So when you say that we are Christ's flesh and bone you mean this literally? That we are actually of the same substance as God (homooúsios)?

The context of Ephesians 5 is about a man leaving His Father and Mother (like Christ) and being made one with His wife.. the church of God.. in that aspect, yes, it means literally.. we literally do have flesh and bones don't we.. and we are the body of Christ.

Do you have any precedent for a woman eating her husband to be? I've answered your question, why not answer mine.

Upvote 0

PaladinValer

Traditional Orthodox Anglican
Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It seems that there are quite a few who would rather worship their own assembly rather than its Head.. they say things like their men are infallible and can't be wrong with regard to faith and morals. They say that they are the one true church.. they say that their men are traced right back to the Apostles and are a continuation of them..

They say that their men can pray and turn bread into God's flesh. They can turn wine into blood.

They can forgive sins.

They can baptize a person in water and declare them to be born again.

It goes on and on and on..

Straw Man based on false premises.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The context of Ephesians 5 is about a man leaving His Father and Mother (like Christ) and being made one with His wife.

But not literally.

the church of God.. in that aspect, yes, it means literally.. we literally do have flesh and bones don't we.. and we are the body of Christ.
Not literally. That would be even more grotesque than what you are accusing the RCs of believing about their Holy Communion.

Upvote 0

ThatTrueLight

Feb 12, 2015
✟2,579.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But not literally.

You don't believe that the Lord Jesus Christ is going to be married to the church of God, and that you are bethrothed to one husband?

Not literally. That would be even more grotesque than what you are accusing the RCs of believing about their Holy Communion.

I agree, we'd literally be eating one another.. because WE ARE the body of Christ.. the exact thing the priest says when he delivers the bread to a member of the assembly. That's why it's absurd, and once again, I can't believe that I need to be on this side of the argument.. A bride to be doesn't eat her self or her husband.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Why, isn't eating His flesh literal to you, or is it just a metaphor?
When we say that the wine and bread become his body and blood, that is not a metaphor; "For my flesh is real food and my blood is real drink." But when we refer to the Church being the Body of Christ that is a metaphor.

Reactions: tadoflamb
Upvote 0

ThatTrueLight

Feb 12, 2015
✟2,579.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When we say that the wine and bread become his body and blood, that is not a metaphor; "For my flesh is real food and my blood is real drink." But when we refer to the Church being the Body of Christ that is a metaphor.

That's certainly convenient. :)

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
That's certainly convenient. :)
It has nothing to do with convenience. When we read or listen, we must always make decisions from context whether the other person is speaking literally or metaphorically. I see no reason to be flippant simply because sometimes things are literal and other times they are figurative.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ThatTrueLight

Feb 12, 2015
✟2,579.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You think it is funny that we consider Christ's body to be infallible?

Perfect in Christ, absolutely.

Infallible, of course not, we're not God, we're believers in God. When we first believe we're babes in Christ in need of the sincere milk of the word in order to grow, and easy prey for the rulers of this dark world to deceive before they're even aware of it. As we grow in the grace and in the knowledge of Jesus Christ we understand that we need the full armour of God to stand in this evil day.

There's no person or assembly completely immune to deception, imo that is deception in itself.. thinking that you can't be wrong about something.. Paul mentions something to this effect doesn't he.. that if we think we know anything we know nothing as we ought.. the entire NT is practically about correcting assemblies.. not how any one of them was without error.

NOW if you'd like to insist that your assembly can't be wrong about anything, I'd ask what makes you think that.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
It seems that there are quite a few who would rather worship their own assembly rather than its Head.. they say things like their men are infallible and can't be wrong with regard to faith and morals. They say that they are the one true church.. they say that their men are traced right back to the Apostles and are a continuation of them..

They say that their men can pray and turn bread into God's flesh. They can turn wine into blood.

They can forgive sins.

They can baptize a person in water and declare them to be born again.

It goes on and on and on..

Do you need a hug?

-CryptoLutheran

Reactions: Rick Otto
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Not so sure, doesn't the Orthodox Church also preach the same thing.. and what do they call their person.. His All Holiness or something silly like that?

Here, I'll help you:

http://www.amazon.com/Church-History-In-Plain-Language/dp/0849938619

This was, along with Justo Gonzalez' The Story of Christianity, my introductory text to the history of Christianity.

It was incredibly helpful when i first started learning about the history of Christianity.

-CryptoLutheran

Reactions: Rick Otto
Upvote 0