ThatTrueLight

John 1:9
Feb 12, 2015
✟2,579.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It seems that there are quite a few who would rather worship their own assembly rather than its Head.. they say things like their men are infallible and can't be wrong with regard to faith and morals. They say that they are the one true church.. they say that their men are traced right back to the Apostles and are a continuation of them..

They say that their men can pray and turn bread into God's flesh. They can turn wine into blood.

They can forgive sins.

They can baptize a person in water and declare them to be born again.

It goes on and on and on..

Reactions: Liberasit

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It seems that there are quite a few who would rather worship their own assembly rather than its Head.. they say things like their men are infallible and can't be wrong with regard to faith and morals. They say that they are the one true church.. they say that their men are traced right back to the Apostles and are a continuation of them..

They say that their men can pray and turn bread into God's flesh. They can turn wine into blood.

They can forgive sins.

That strikes me as a potpourri of quite separate ideas, frankly.

Upvote 0

tz620q

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2007
Carmel, IN
✟574,516.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

They can forgive sins.

Ahh! A religion without any human involvement. I think you just invented the perfect religion. The only problem is that it wouldn't have any members. Now maybe we can discuss the right amount of human involvement.

Reactions: patricius79
Upvote 0

ThatTrueLight

Feb 12, 2015
✟2,579.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ahh! A religion without any human involvement. I think you just invented the perfect religion. The only problem is that it wouldn't have any members. Now maybe we can discuss the right amount of human involvement.

Would love to..

Do you know any humans who are infallible?

Upvote 0

tz620q

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2007
Carmel, IN
✟574,516.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Would love to..

Do you know any humans who are infallible?

That seems to be the opposite of what I proposed. Do you think that someone must be infallible to be a Christian? If not, then all Christian denominations are going to be made of fallible people and so how do you get a perfect religion made up of fallible humans?

Since I think we would agree that Christianity is for sinners as well as saints, can we dispense with this "I'm infallible and your not." line of thinking?

Upvote 0

tz620q

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2007
Carmel, IN
✟574,516.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
How about any men who can turn bread into God's flesh, or wine into His blood.

Know any men who can do that?
Not a one and priests would be the first to tell you that. But do you believe God could?

Upvote 0

ThatTrueLight

Feb 12, 2015
✟2,579.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not a one and priests would be the first to tell you that. But do you believe God could?

Right, they just say it and YOU believe it.. LOL..

God can't lie, so when He says that when we break this bread and drink this cup (of wine) we do show the Lord's death til He come.

Upvote 0

ThatTrueLight

Feb 12, 2015
✟2,579.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Or when He says that YE ARE that one bread.. it's true.. we ARE His FLESH and His BONES.. and so we don't EAT ourselves.. we break bread with HIM at His table.

We don't EAT Him at His table.

It's amazing I would even need to write that.. but here I am.. looking like the crazy one.. LOL

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tz620q

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2007
Carmel, IN
✟574,516.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Right, they just say it and YOU believe it.. LOL..

God can't lie, so when He says that when we break this bread and drink this cup (of wine) we do show the Lord's death til He come.

Why do I feel like I'm in a Monty Python skit? I paid for a discussion and you seem to want an argument. Why not address my questions as I have yours?

In regards to your first question, I would have to ask you what your definition of infallible is? Then I might be able to supply a few examples of humans that did possess infallibility. The definition that I found was "the inability to do wrong". Hmm. If I make the right decision am I infallible in that moment? Or is this an attribute that one must possess totally, not just at some random moment?

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate

They can forgive sins.

It sounds like you personally don't like the beliefs of apostolic churches, so you accuse us of "worshipping our churches." It's a low move, and pretty transparent.

Upvote 0

tz620q

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2007
Carmel, IN
✟574,516.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Or when He says that YE ARE that one bread.. it's true.. we ARE His FLESH and His BONES.. and so we don't EAT ourselves.. we break bread with HIM at His table.

We don't EAT Him at His table.

It's amazing I would even need to write that.. but here I am.. looking like the crazy one.. LOL
Could you provide the quote for "Ye are that one bread" so that I can read the context?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It just seems to me like it's always about their assembly.. as ROJ would say, other churches have some truth, but we have all truth.
Yes, but this means you are opposing one particular denomination--and admit it--although the OP seemed at first glance to be about a characteristic that could apply to a number of churches that think they are "the one and only."

Upvote 0

ThatTrueLight

Feb 12, 2015
✟2,579.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That seems to be the opposite of what I proposed. Do you think that someone must be infallible to be a Christian? If not, then all Christian denominations are going to be made of fallible people and so how do you get a perfect religion made up of fallible humans?

Since I think we would agree that Christianity is for sinners as well as saints, can we dispense with this "I'm infallible and your not." line of thinking?

Sure, I can, but good luck getting the "One True Church" to discard that one. It's their Ace up the sleeve.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ThatTrueLight

Feb 12, 2015
✟2,579.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, but this means you are opposing one particular denomination--and admit it--although the OP seemed at first glance to be about a characteristic that could apply to a number of churches that think they are "the one and only."

Not so sure, doesn't the Orthodox Church also preach the same thing.. and what do they call their person.. His All Holiness or something silly like that?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Not so sure, doesn't the Orthodox Church also preach the same thing.. and what do they call their person.. His All Holiness or something silly like that?
The Orthodox churches don't have a Pope, no, and so there's no single person considered to be infallible as in Roman Catholicism.

Upvote 0