• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

soaring as eagles

May 8, 2004
N E Lincs
✟15,204.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Last night i found out that somehow my group leader has got to know that i self harm. I have only told a few select people before like my best friends that would keep it confidential.

I have been wanting to tell them but felt i couldnt be honest.

I cant even have a week off church etc without them ringing up for answers every single time. i know they care but every motion is monitored.

I dont know who told her about it but it was sone very inconspicuous.

I dont know what to say to them as they have not liked me going to the hospital so feel a bit scared in a way.

Any ideas on how to approach the subject if its mentioned

Reactions: lonnienord

BlackRain

Dec 21, 2004
texas
✟8,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
if they bring it up tell them to drop it. ask them to treat you just like everyone else. pray about it! pray that God would keep them quiet about the situation.
in a good look at things: maybe since they know, you won't be so likely to do it. get my drift? it could very well be an answer to prayer. you never know!

Upvote 0

Johnnz

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟74,521.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Support is very important. No one self harms without having experienced some really bad things at some time. If your chuch people are genuinly caring and supportive their knowing will be to your advantage. We often are afraid to reveal our struggles, but that is so helpful PROVIDED you are still loved and cared for, not judged.

You are now best to admit your stuggles, tell them about any support/counselling you are getting, and see how they respond.

Feel free to pm me once you know their reaction.

John
NZ

Upvote 0

GaelSong

gaelstrom
Sep 24, 2004
✟50,702.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
It's not easy when things we think should remain secret become knowledge to others. I think though in your case, if you are loved and supported (and i'm sure you are) that it's good that this is out of the closet. Pray for the people who know about this, that they will not divulge your secret further. I will pray for you.

Upvote 0

Ariella

Daughter of the King
Feb 27, 2005
Within God's Kingdom
✟214,941.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
it can be really hard when people think they need to monitor you ... over anything, support can be great but it needs to be helpful and what you need not what someone else thinks you need ... as others have said ... pray about this and .... be truthful about what would help you .... they may also need to know you are seeking help (are you?) before they will back off

Upvote 0

madison1101

Senior Veteran
Sep 17, 2004
Pennsylvania
✟5,939.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
We have a saying in Alcoholics Anonymous. "You are as sick as your secrets." The less I keep secret about my behavior, the healthier I am. I have friends from church who know I used to cut. My best friend knows about my cutting, drinking, binge eating, and sex addiction. She confronts me when I am doing any of them. She asks me if I am acting out. She tells me she loves me, and that it hurts her to see ME hurt her friend with my acting out. Because of her love and support, I haven't cut or had a drink in years. I haven't acted out sexually in over a year.

Don't keep secrets. Be honest and open about your behavior. It will get rid of the shame and help you overcome the behavior.

Upvote 0