Leah

2 Corinthians 5:21
May 26, 2005
✟7,700.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I thought I start a separate thread about it.

What exactly is worldliness and where does one draw the line to separte that from holiness? I also think it may help in understanding this when it comes to interacting with people, especially.

Note: If you think my question is dumb, then please be a pal and simply don't post. Ok?

Reactions: mourningdove~

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I personally don't think any question is dumb but I'm not sure I understand the question.

The bible seems to contrast worldliness with righteousness. The short answer is that righteousness is biblical love. Worldliness then would be the absence of that Love. Is that what you are looking for or something else I'm missing?

Upvote 0

SUNSTONE

Christian Warrior
Sep 2, 2002
Cocoa Village
Visit site
✟18,200.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Holiness is living life exactely like Christ did it, He is the perfect example.
He didn't live to please the flesh, He lived for God and for mankind.
He looked to serve mankind, instead of looking for ways to serve His own flesh.

Worldliness is selfish living, not serving others, sinning.

Upvote 0

Elijah2

No weapons formed against me will prosper.
Aug 15, 2006
Australia
✟26,096.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married

What exactly is worldliness and where does one draw the line to separte that from holiness? I also think it may help in understanding this when it comes to interacting with people, especially.

Note: If you think my question is dumb, then please be a pal and simply don't post. Ok?

"Holiness" is a state or character of being holy.

"Worldliness" is being "worldly" and "worldly-minded".

So basically "worldliness" is the mundane life of secularism, which is all opposed to heavenly and spiritual and religious things.

"Holiness" is being righteous, sinless, forgiving, loving, patient, self-controlled, faithful, gentle, good and kind. You don't have to be a believer to express those characters.

So, where are you going with this thread, because you draw the line when you become a "BELIEVER"?

By the way, we believers fail HIM all the time.

Be blessed in Jesus' Name.

Upvote 0

Leah

May 26, 2005
✟7,700.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Ok, the bible says that we are not to love this world nor the things of it, which is the lust of the flesh, lust of the eyes and the boastful pride of life.

So what things, in this world, are the lust of the flesh, eyes and boastful pride of life? And how can a christian be sure that he/she isn't doing those things?

Upvote 0

SUNSTONE

Christian Warrior
Sep 2, 2002
Cocoa Village
Visit site
✟18,200.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Ok, the bible says that we are not to love this world nor the things of it, which is the lust of the flesh, lust of the eyes and the boastful pride of life.

So what things, in this world, are the lust of the flesh, eyes and boastful pride of life? And how can a christian be sure that he/she isn't doing those things?

Renewing the mind, fasting, praying, reading, serving mankind, basicly doing things that Jesus did.

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Ok, the bible says that we are not to love the things of the world, which is the lust of the flesh, lust of the eyes and the boastful pride of life.

I know that some people on the forum get upset because I talk about biblical love so much, but let's talk about it a moment. Do you know what biblical love is?

I Cor. 13 is a picture of biblical love, so is the servant nature of our Lord. It is the sacrificial caring of another being more than yourself. It is becoming the least. It is removing self and inserting Christ. Righteousness is crucifying ourselves, our human desires and exchanging them for the Holy Spirit and the love He bring with Him when He dwells within us. Worldliness is all the other things we hold within, everything that is not God's love.

Upvote 0

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟439,210.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What exactly is worldliness and where does one draw the line to separte that from holiness?
I also think it may help in understanding this when it comes to interacting with people, especially.

Here is one passage from the Word of God that has been
helpful to me in defining and separating from 'worldiness'.
It was written by the apostle Paul, to believers:

"Therefore be followers of God as dear children.

And walk in love,
as Christ also has loved us and given Himself for us,
an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweet-smelling aroma.

But fornication and all uncleanness or covetousness,
let it not even be named among you, as is fitting for saints;
neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor coarse jesting,
which are not fitting, but rather giving of thanks."

Ephesians 5:1-4

Reactions: Leah
Upvote 0

Leah

May 26, 2005
✟7,700.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Here is one passage from the Word of God that has been
helpful to me in defining and separating from 'worldiness'.
It was written by the apostle Paul, to believers:

"Therefore be followers of God as dear children.

And walk in love,
as Christ also has loved us and given Himself for us,
an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweet-smelling aroma.

But fornication and all uncleanness or covetousness,
let it not even be named among you, as is fitting for saints;
neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor coarse jesting,
which are not fitting, but rather giving of thanks."

Ephesians 5:1-4

Then why are we not doing this??

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Not walking in love.

But then again, who am I to judge?
If your speaking in general, I would say the answer is in the story of the sheep and the goats. Jesus tells us that not everyone who calls Him Lord are His. True love, biblical love, only comes from the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. Anyone can claim this spirit, but only those who crucify the flesh, and live in the spirit can testify of Him.

Upvote 0

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟439,210.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What exactly is worldliness and where does one draw the line to separte that from holiness?
I also think it may help in understanding this when it comes to interacting with people, especially.

Here's another passage from Ephesians
that I sometimes need reminded of:

"Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth,
but what is good for necessary edification,
that it may impart grace to the hearers.

And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God,
by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.

Let all bitterness, wrath, anger, clamor, and evil speaking
be put away from you, with all malice.

And be kind to one another,
tenderhearted, forgiving one another,
just as God in Christ also forgave you."

Ephesians 4:29-32

Upvote 0

KleinerApfel

When I awake I am still with You
Mar 4, 2004
Somewhere
✟35,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Then why are we not doing this??

What makes you think we're not? :confused:

How many people here know each other well enough to know whether or not we are all being loving in our dealings with those around us?

We're disciples - that means we're learning! We will improve a little here or there, we will probably fail and stumble a lot too, but He'll pick us up.
Don't beat yourself up, you won't be perfect until He comes to take you home, and neither will I, so let's enjoy the journey together and be kind to each other.

Good night, God bless. :wave:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Giver

Sep 12, 2005
USA - North Carolina
✟8,112.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Politics
US-Others

I think your question is one of the most important thing we all need to ask of ourselves.

(1 John 3:17-19) “If a man who was rich enough in this world’s goods saw that one of his brothers was in need, but closed his heart to him, how could the love of God be living in him, how could the love of God be living in him? My Children our love is not to be just words or mere talk, but something real and active; only by this can we be certain that we are children to the truth, and be able to quieten our conscience in his presence, whatever accusations it may raise against us, because God is greater than our conscience and he knows everything

Personally I believe being of the world is; wanting things the world has to offer: Possessions, power, improper sexual pleasures, self-pride, trusting in army/police, trusting in money. There are probably more things that describe one being of the world, but I believe living in a Christian community that is being led by the Holy Spirit would eliminate most of what keeps a person in the world.

Upvote 0
Dec 18, 2003
✟11,355.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Holiness is an ongoing work of the indwelling Holy Spirit in each our lives as believers in Jesus that we are to co-operate with.

Where many Christians go wrong is that they are taught that holiness is brought about by our own effort and ability to live Godly. This is a futile approach. The only way we can each be sanctified and made more holy is in yielding to and following the leading of the Holy Spirit in our lives.

Because of the weakness of our sinful nature, we are not able to bring about holiness in ourselves through our own self discipline and keeping of rules and laws.

Rather we are to yield to the Holy Spirit's leading and work in our lives.

The same Spirit that raised Christ from the dead dwells within the believer. and if that same Spirit indwells us then that same Spirit will quicken our mortal bodies. We enter into this work in the same way that we received salvation from our sins....through faith.

Upvote 0
C

Cassidy

Holiness is an ongoing work of the indwelling Holy Spirit in each our lives as believers in Jesus that we are to co-operate with.

Where many Christians go wrong is that they are taught that holiness is brought about by our own effort and ability to live Godly. This is a futile approach. The only way we can each be sanctified and made more holy is in yielding to and following the leading of the Holy Spirit in our lives.

Because of the weakness of our sinful nature, we are not able to bring about holiness in ourselves through our own self discipline and keeping of rules and laws.

The same Spirit that raised Christ from the dead dwells within the believer. and if that same Spirit indwells us then that same Spirit will quicken our mortal bodies. We enter into this work in the same way that we received salvation from our sins....through faith.

Very well said! :amen:

Upvote 0

Elijah2

No weapons formed against me will prosper.
Aug 15, 2006
Australia
✟26,096.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married

Hi Twigy,

It all sounds nice what you have said above, but I was never taught that "holiness" is brought about "by our own effort and ability to live Godly", and I don't think anyone else was taught that either. That sort of belief and attitude comes from false teaching and the doctrines of demons of philosophy of empty deceit and milk.

"Faith" comes from hearing HIS WORD, not from quickneing our mortal bodies, and salvation has nothing to do with "holiness".

I was taught that "holiness" is a character of being holy, a form of Godliness through being righteous, sinless, forgiving, loving, patient, self-controlled, faithful, gentle, good, kind, joyful and peaceful, which are HIS two commandments and the "Fruit of the Spirit".

And I would say that if we all majored in HIS two Commandments and the Fruit of the Spirit, then what else could anyone say about our "character".

Be blessed in Jesus' Name.

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What makes you think we're not? :confused:

How many people here know each other well enough to know whether or not we are all being loving in our dealings with those around us?

We're disciples - that means we're learning! We will improve a little here or there, we will probably fail and stumble a lot too, but He'll pick us up.
Don't beat yourself up, you won't be perfect until He comes to take you home, and neither will I, so let's enjoy the journey together and be kind to each other.

Good night, God bless. :wave:
because love is more than just kindness. If you truly love, it will be seen in every part of your life, including the forum. It won't always be interpreted as love, but the Christ in you will show in everything you do if He is truly the center of who you are.

Edit: let me also say this very unpopular thing. We are way to quick to end all suffering. It is in the midst of suffering that God makes His presence known to us. His power revealed. It cements our commitments and glues together all the faith, trust, and confidence we have been learning to have

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.