1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Work IS evil. My friendliness was shrugged off in a misunderstanding.

Discussion in 'Christian Advice' started by BridgeAcrossCultures, Oct 11, 2012.

1. BridgeAcrossCultures

BridgeAcrossCultures Newbie

Faith:
    Christian
    One of the things that makes my current job enjoyable is that most of us are truly friends, at least in my team, and the company environment is informal.

Why pose a limit on being myself just because some people take things too seriously?

Another way to put the question is: why should I sacrifice myself just to satisfy the grumpiness of another person?

2. BridgeAcrossCultures

Faith:
    Christian
    But was I in the wrong?

3. BridgeAcrossCultures

Faith:
    Christian
    I obviously didn't know that then and there.

Still, the question now is whether I should feel guilty about that and/or even whether I should limit my personal freedom to be who I am just because someone got irritated because I tried to be FRIENDLY with them!?

The difference between Jesus time and todays' time is that complaints and grievances usually serve a purpose, at least in theory, to solve internal issues, to pinpoint a liable person and take action against them.

Why else does something such as the LEGAL SYSTEM exist?

4. turkle

turkle Blessed

Faith:
    Christian
    How is insisting that you're right and beating it to death FRIENDLY? You don't seem to understand how annoying it is, though several people in this thread, as well as your own friends, have pointed it out to you. And then, when you don't like her response, you consider taking it to the CEO. This is not "friendly".

If you want to have good relationships, you really need to think about when to let go.

5. turkle

turkle Blessed

Faith:
    Christian
    Yes.

6. BridgeAcrossCultures

Faith:
    Christian
    Why?

7. BridgeAcrossCultures

Faith:
    Christian
    I was LITERALLY trying to be friendly. THAT WAS MY INTENTION. I had no other feelings in my heart than trying to say something nice and continue the discussion to clarify any misunderstandings!!!!!

But her final reaction put me on the defensive and made me worry about what sort of people I am working with...

But the main reason I'd take it to the CEO is simply to show what is happening before she could start spreading negative gossip about me - just because I tried to be FRIENDLY!

8. thesunisout

thesunisout brother

Faith:
    Christian
    The question is, why don't you let it go? You're still offended, when you need to forgive and forget and move on. Ask God for the wisdom to understand when you are crossing social boundaries.

Philippians 2:14

Do everything without complaining or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe

The principle we are taught in scripture is to bear our grievances, not to complain or make a big deal about them, and to give only love in return. He told us when someone slaps us to turn the other cheek. That is what Jesus did, and that is what we should do too.

9. Willie T

Willie T St. Petersburg Vineyard

Faith:
    Christian
    Bridge,

You are right, but it is like bucking City Hall. You don't control the power buttons, they do. Consequently, right or wrong, you are wrong.

10. turkle

turkle Blessed

Faith:
    Christian
    I can see that despite many people telling you why that was inappropriate, you don't get it. I'm not sure if that's because you refuse to listen, or you aren't capable of it. I am concerned about you, because you have posted about similar situation many times, and refuse to listen to what people tell you. That is certainly your prerogative, but the result will be that these situations will continue to repeat. I wish you well. I really do.

11. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Veteran

Faith:
    Baptist
    If the situation was reversed, would you like it if the senior employee treated you the way you are treating her? Read Luke 6:31 for some great advice.