Visit site
✟1,021,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
So, in a few days, my husband and I will be married for 8 months. I love being married to him and am so thankful for our marriage.

That said, we are struggling (and apparently even more so for him) with the epidemic of never having any time to do anything except work, work, work. He commutes 2+ hours each way almost every day, I work until 6:15 or 6:30, make dinner and we are ready to eat about 7:30 or 8, work around the house for about 2 hours, sit down for about an hour and go to sleep...repeat the next day and so forth. Weekends are packed as well with getting stuff done around the house. We planned on traveling, doing lots of fun things together, etc - and we haven't done much of that. Life is just so crazy.

How do all you handle this? Do you have any tips for how to keep life under control? For anyone who has commute time, how do you handle long term travel without extreme stress?

Odetta

Thankful for grace
Jan 24, 2014
Georgia
✟32,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
What exactly do you mean "work around the house" that it takes you so much time to do? If it's cleaning, yard maintenance, etc. type of things, you can hire services for that. If it's DIY remodeling type of stuff, well, that's just going to consume your time. If you want to do fun things, you will need to schedule them, like you did dates when you were just dating.

Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
What exactly do you mean "work around the house" that it takes you so much time to do? If it's cleaning, yard maintenance, etc. type of things, you can hire services for that. If it's DIY remodeling type of stuff, well, that's just going to consume your time. If you want to do fun things, you will need to schedule them, like you did dates when you were just dating.
It is mainly cleaning, yard work, cooking, etc. DIY remodeling is too much work for us right now until we don't have the commuting. We are trying to pay off debt and save up for a house in the country (he hates hearing the traffic in town and has a hard time sleeping with it), so we would prefer to avoid getting services to do that, though perhaps it will be worth doing that for the sake of our sanity.

Regarding date nights - normally, our weekends seem to fill up due to church choir rehearsals, church Saturday night, Sunday morning, him getting home late and some Saturday's working. Weeknights he is exhausted (me too, though I'm not driving home as far).

I think we might need to skip some Saturday service though, since it is important for us to spend time together. I'll check with my church too - maybe someone is looking for extra money who would be good at house maintenance, etc which could be good for both us and them.

Thanks for the suggestions! Thinking about it, some hiking some Saturday mornings might be good as well, since we both love the outdoors.

Upvote 0

Odetta

Thankful for grace
Jan 24, 2014
Georgia
✟32,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I remember when we were newly married and having to figure out priorities as a couple. The reality is there is never enough time to do everything, so sometimes even good things need to be sacrificed for better things. You'll figure it out!

Reactions: All4Christ
Upvote 0

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It happens often here in the DC area.
Difficulty for us is that until we were married, he was a half hour from work, but the house we own (previously mine) is 2+ hours from his work. We were planning to find a job for him here, but nothing has worked out. It's a big difference going from 30 minutes to 2 hours. Seems to happen a lot though in DC, NJ / NY, etc.

Upvote 0

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Ahhh, ok, DC, I know the drill, my folks used to live in Arlington, Virginia and owned a restaurant in Dupont Circle

Thankfully it was close. I was always grateful the metro / bus lines were there
Ours is in the tri-state area (work in NJ, live out of state), so unfortunately there aren't any bus lines / metros for us. If we were in NY / NJ, we would have the metros for that. Maybe someday the NJ transit will extend someday to go to other areas!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JohnNess

Feb 17, 2012
✟8,009.00
Faith
Non-Denom
It may be impertinent, but if he commutes so much further, it would seem you have a couple hours a day or more at home without him. Perhaps once or twice a week, you could try to do some of the chores (it seems like a long time for two people to be working around the house every single day, though) in the morning after he leaves. You could also try making larger meals and freezing the leftovers so you can have an easy meal later. Clearing out your weekend schedule is a great idea, too, but it may be worthwhile to do that and then leave a lot of the work around the house until the weekend so you can both unwind during the weeknights. With both of you working on the house, you should be able to do the housework (dinner dishes aside, of course) on Saturday morning. Aside from the dishes, are there any chores you're doing more than once a week that you could cut to just on Saturday?

Upvote 0

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It may be impertinent, but if he commutes so much further, it would seem you have a couple hours a day or more at home without him. Perhaps once or twice a week, you could try to do some of the chores (it seems like a long time for two people to be working around the house every single day, though) in the morning after he leaves. You could also try making larger meals and freezing the leftovers so you can have an easy meal later. Clearing out your weekend schedule is a great idea, too, but it may be worthwhile to do that and then leave a lot of the work around the house until the weekend so you can both unwind during the weeknights. With both of you working on the house, you should be able to do the housework (dinner dishes aside, of course) on Saturday morning. Aside from the dishes, are there any chores you're doing more than once a week that you could cut to just on Saturday?

I work 9 or 10 hours each day, so I work until 6:30 or 7 each evening at my job, go home, cook dinner and have it ready around 7:30 or 7:45 depending on when I get out. He gets out of work at 5, so I am finishing up dinner when he gets home. I run errands prior to work while he is driving up there as well as doing chores in the house. He mainly does outdoor work afterwards, while I am doing the work inside the house. He often works outside in the garden and yard after work, so that takes up most of his evening. Much of the work I end up doing is cooking, cleaning up after cooking, laundry, paper work, finances (budgeting, bills for both personal and our side-businesses), and, well...I'm honestly not sure how the evenings get full so quickly! Maybe planning out a week of when to get things done would be helpful for us to figure out where the time is going. As of now, I don't think we could fit all the chores into one morning, but it might work to cut a few days out and only do it a couple times each week. Even 2-3 evenings would be helpful. Larger meals would be helpful, though he hates casseroles :) and I'm not sure what else can be premade. I'll look up some freezer meal recipes online to see if I can work something out with that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

WolfGate

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2004
South Carolina
✟448,579.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Odetta said it. If you allow it to happen, things (church, work, etc.) will always demand every minute of your time. Sometimes you have to make decisions on who else to cheat so that you don't cheat each other. That 4 hour commute doesn't help. I'd be looking for a way to change that - even though it seems that would mean somebody changing their job.

Reactions: Tinkerbells
Upvote 0

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Odetta said it. If you allow it to happen, things (church, work, etc.) will always demand every minute of your time. Sometimes you have to make decisions on who else to cheat so that you don't cheat each other. That 4 hour commute doesn't help. I'd be looking for a way to change that - even though it seems that would mean somebody changing their job.
The commute does need to stop...it's just a matter of figuring out what to do with our jobs that is tough now! But that's something we are working on. There isn't really any 'great' option for us right now. We may need to choose to financially take a serious paycut and perhaps require me to continue working full time after kids, depending on our choices...but that's a whole other matter.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

contango

...and you shall live...
Jul 9, 2010
Sometimes here, sometimes there
✟16,996.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So, in a few days, my husband and I will be married for 8 months. I love being married to him and am so thankful for our marriage.

That said, we are struggling (and apparently even more so for him) with the epidemic of never having any time to do anything except work, work, work. He commutes 2+ hours each way almost every day, I work until 6:15 or 6:30, make dinner and we are ready to eat about 7:30 or 8, work around the house for about 2 hours, sit down for about an hour and go to sleep...repeat the next day and so forth. Weekends are packed as well with getting stuff done around the house. We planned on traveling, doing lots of fun things together, etc - and we haven't done much of that. Life is just so crazy.

How do all you handle this? Do you have any tips for how to keep life under control? For anyone who has commute time, how do you handle long term travel without extreme stress?

Replying to a few points I've seen in the thread so far.

Firstly, when you've got very little time to call your own don't get sucked into attending every single service at church. It's very easy to get into the mindset that if there's a service you need to be at it, and all it will do in your situation is leave you resenting church.

If his commute shifted from 30 minutes to 120 minutes when you married, is it an option for one of you to change jobs? It may involve a reduction in salary but if it gains 2-3 hours of time every day that might be an acceptable price to pay. I remember when I commuted over an hour each way to work (necessary when working in central London) and constantly being aware that I was spending the best part of two working days every week stuck on the train. If his commute drops from 2 hours to 30 minutes each way, that's three hours per day or 15 hours per week. That's effectively saving enough time to take on a part time job.

Sometimes people stay in jobs even though the job is more of a liability than an asset. Some years ago I knew a guy whose wife insisted she wanted to keep working after the children were born because she "wanted to keep her career". So she continued to go to work, earning less than it cost to commute and pay childminders, to stay in a job that had literally no future prospects. This couple would have had more money in their pockets had she quit working completely and raised her own kids, but they chose to effectively pay for her to go to work. It's their choice, but it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Is your husband commuting so far, spending a lot of money in gas and car-related costs, for a job that isn't worthwhile given the costs of getting there? If so, are the long-term prospects worth sticking it out, or would he be better off walking away even if it does involve a total life change?

Is the "stuff around the house" really necessary, and are you doing it efficiently? For many years my wife and I would periodically spend an entire day cleaning and tidying, but what it actually meant was that we'd take a lot of junk out of drawers, shuffle it around, throw maybe one or two items out, and put the rest back. So we'd spend a day "doing something useful" while actually achieving nothing at all. If you've gotten into that pattern, stop doing it because it takes up precious time and doesn't accomplish anything at all.

Work like mowing the lawn takes time but anyone can do it and you don't even need to be home. Is there a local teenager who might like a few extra bucks for running a mower over the lawn for you?

If you're spending two hours every day "doing stuff around the house" I'd suspect you're either hugely house-proud or using time inefficiently. Try taking a day off and not doing that stuff around the house, and see whether it actually makes a difference. You describe "sitting down for about an hour", so if you cut the "stuff around the house" and the "sitting down" one evening you'd have three hours. Throw in the time you take to cook a meal, and you've got maybe 4 hours. That's more than enough time to go out together. Let someone else do the cooking for once - even if you only go to the local pizza joint it's something you didn't have to cook yourself, and you can relax a bit (you also save the time washing dishes)

There are a few meals you can cook in bulk and reheat. Most things based around pasta can work - spaghetti bolognaise can be reheated at least once, as can a beef chilli or similar. You can also look for meals that are quick to throw together, or that don't need a lot of input from you (the kind of thing that might take 10 minutes to prepare and then 40 minutes in the oven) so you're not necessarily having to take a lot of time to prepare a meal every day.

Using disposable cutlery and crockery may not be particularly environmentally friendly but can save you some time. My wife and I often use a paper plate for sandwich-type lunches or if we have a piece of cake or something mid afternoon. It saves having to wash a proper plate, can be reused a few times (assuming you're not putting anything messy on it), and goes in the recycling when we're done with it.

Upvote 0

rivulet

I wish I had courage enough to be myself
Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
✟15,420.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I hate to be the one to say this but maybe you ought to cut back on your "extra curricular" activities at church. You guys are newly married so it is important that you focus on each other.

When we first married, my husband and I cut our church activities to one service a week. We bought a house, which yes is labor intensive to maintain. We do things together (including yard work or housework). If he's doing great yard work then I do it with him. If he's working in the study, I sit in there with him. If I'm making dinner, he chats with me.

Sometimes, we take a "staycation" where we get off of work and stay home for two days leading up to a weekend. The rule is, no house work. We go out to eat, see a movie, go for a walk, go to the park, play and just hang out and have a good time. It's really refreshing just to laugh and have a good time and relax with my husband when life gets really really busy.

Upvote 0

Johnnz

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟74,521.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
You need to redress your scehules and activities. For a season less church activity seems a good idea. You need to invest in your marriage. Societal pressures are immense and unfounded in biblical values. That is a constant tension. Make some household chores into joint, fun or even pre-sexual fun times to allow more direct and enjoyable relationship together.

John
NZ

Upvote 0

Tinkerbells

Jul 17, 2015
San Diego
✟15,210.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Absolutely. Spending that much time away from your spouse is not healthy and IMHO not what God intended. I made the tough decision to give up my career (for now) to have enough time to spend with my husband. Otherwise we would have opposite schedules nearly 8 months out of the year (I’m taking about 5-5 days of the week not having even an hour with each other). He is a police officer and gone for 11 hours while at work. That’s if there is no mandatory overtime. His shift schedule would make it nearly impossible for us to spend time with each other 4-5 days out of the week. I asked myself, is this the marriage that I want? Is this healthy?

While my husband wanted me to get a full time job and said “Not to not worry about it" and that we would “Figure it out down the road,” I had a long discussion with him on how spending that much time apart (especially after just getting married) could lead to us growing apart or one of us becoming unfaithful. I compromised with him and said I would look for a part time job. In doing so, we downgraded. We went from a large townhouse, to a one bedroom and he now has to commute 30 minutes to work back and forth, whereas in the past it was 10 minutes. We are actually happier than in our last place, believe it or not.

I have yet to find a job this year. I have applied and have had no luck. I cannot figure out why, but I assume it’s because God doesn’t want me working yet. What I do know is this. God comes first in my life, then my husband.

Money is not important and as hard as it is to say, my career at this point is not as important as maintaining my marriage.

Is working 9-10 hours a day that important to you? If so, why? Are you afraid God will not provide if you reduce your hours or get a part time job? Does your husband have to have that job 2 hours away? Something has got to give. 8 months married is nice because it’s new, but keep this up for years to come and it could cause issues in the marriage. I hope you two can figure it out. Pray about it daily together.

Upvote 0

RedPonyDriver

Professional Pot Stirrer
Oct 18, 2014
USA
✟76,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Democrat
2 hours a day doing stuff around the house when there's nobody home all day seems excessive. When my husband and I both worked full time, I think I spent MAYBE 45 minutes on the house daily during the week...feed critters, sift litter boxes, unload the dishwasher (usually while dinner was cooking). Depending on need, maybe toss a load of laundry in...fix dinner, clean up after dinner, turn the dishwasher on and snuggle with the hubs on the couch or go out. While I was doing that, my hubs would run the vacuum, scoop the doggie droppings outside, take the trash out (if needed). Saturday mornings were our big housecleaning time...dusting, vacuuming (a never ending job with critters), yardwork, bathrooms, all that stuff. We'd be done usually by noon on Saturday and had the rest of the weekend to do whatever.

Admittedly, my worst commute was just over an hour most days, his was usually shorter. Now I have the option to work from home most of the time, I go into the office usually only for meetings. Even now, "housework" still doesn't take me more than an hour a day...I spend more time grooming the critters and taking care of my car.

Something's gotta give...2 hours sounds a little crazy. Pare the "to do" list down to the minimum, cut back on church activities...you don't have to be there every time the doors are open.

Upvote 0