Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Hi everyone, I heard a preacher say that women are not ordained in the baptist church? Is this true, thank you :)

Agulhas,

What is your experience with Baptists in South Africa? Do they ordain women pastors? I note that you are Anglican. Do South African Anglicans ordain women?

While this is not specifically directed towards Baptists, you may be interested in what happened to Billy Graham's daughter: Anne Graham Lotz and 800 pastors’ shame.

Oz

Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,534.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hi everyone, I heard a preacher say that women are not ordained in the baptist church? Is this true, thank you :)

Women are not ordained in any truly Baptist Church. There is no such thing as a women pastor.

If a "church" has a women pastor and calls itself Baptist it is deceiving itself and others.

Upvote 0

South Bound

I stand with Israel.
Jan 3, 2014
✟31,159.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

In some liberal Baptist churches, they are, but it's rare, thank God.

The Bible does not allow for women pastors.

Reactions: Tony Merritt
Upvote 0

South Bound

I stand with Israel.
Jan 3, 2014
✟31,159.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm surprised, I thought it was completely taboo in Baptist churches. Learn something new everyday, I guess.

It's Unbiblical, but because Baptist churches are autonomous, it's their choice.

I have a cousin who's a female pastor in the UMC. She's one of my favorite people, but is wrong on this issue.

Upvote 0
Jun 7, 2013
✟15,388.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
We in the Anglican church do ordain women and I was even confirmed by a female bishop.I don't know much about baptists here, although there is one in the neighboring town. We in S.Africa are more familiar with the Dutch and United Reformed churches. Reason why I'm asking, is because I thought that the idea of women becoming pastors in the baptist church wasn't a problem? But from the looks of it many have differing opinions. Actually now that I think of it I have not heard of any women being ordained in the reformed churches I mentioned.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bluelion

Peace and Love
Oct 6, 2013
Pa
✟6,506.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
We in the Anglican church do ordain women and I was even confirmed by a female bishop.I don't know much about baptists here, although there is one in the neighboring town. We in S.Africa are more familiar with the Dutch and United Reformed churches. Reason why I'm asking, is because I thought that the idea of women becoming pastors in the baptist church wasn't a problem? But from the looks of it many have differing opinions. Actually now that I think of it I have not heard of any women being ordained in the reformed churches I mentioned.

The last church I was at had a woman pastor and yes she was ordained in spite of what other say. Women are allowed to preach, those who object don't understand what Paul wrote. Women are equal to men they can hold the same positions any one who tells you other wise does not understand God and what He said.

I am also in a baptist college being trained for ministry and there are plenty of women being trained with us. upon graduation they will be ordained. So those who were saying no really don't know what they are talking about and are out of date.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

least

To God be the Glory!
Dec 20, 2011
✟13,554.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I would be interested in someone from each view to present their biblical interpretations of this issue. To those who would respond, show from the Scripture by breaking down the word and please keep it in context. And please "speak the truth in love."

Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,534.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married

You will not find women pastors/preachers in any Bible believing church. Simple as that. Those who claim that we are out of date don't really believe the Bible. They, therefore, can make it mean and say whatever they want. They can claim that Paul was speaking in a cultural context all they desire but there were many cultures included during his time and he was very clear in what he said and culture wasn't an influence.

Adam was the federal head not Eve. If Adam had not eaten of the fruit then we would not have fallen in him. Eve would have simply died without incurring the guilt of sin on us. Part of the consequence of the Fall on Eve was that her husband would rule over her. Moreover Adam was created out of the dust of the ground but Eve was taken from Adam.

Paul was being Biblical in his instructions. That in no way means that women are second class creatures or less than men but that is the order set up by God according to His wise purpose from the beginning.

Reactions: PrincetonGuy
Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private

Agulhas,

Here in Queensland, Australia, this is the position with Baptists and ordination of women:

Regarding ordination of women in the Dutch Reformed Church (DRC) in South Africa, you may be interested in the DRC position:
In 1990 also, the General Synod of the Dutch Reformed Church in South Africa restored the ordination of women as ministers, probably to divert attention from their racial position and to counteract their image as socially hyper-conservative and patriarchal. However, since this was a decision taken without women, the real struggle for women's ordination in the DRC only began in 1990. The first woman was ordained only in 1995, namely Gretha Heymans as a youth worker in Bloemfontein. In 2000, the crisis of women being trained as ministers in the DRC and not receiving calls was so huge that a conference was held by female proponente (candidate ministers) under the title "Moeder Kerk en haar dogters" (Mother Church and her daughters) during which the situation was discussed. This led to the Dutch Reformed Church in South Africa on 17 November 2000 formally asking the women for forgiveness for having treated them for centuries as second class members. References to "feminist theology" were, however, absent from this conference (Christina Landman, 'Remembering feminist theology in South Africa' pp. 208-209).
Oz

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Blue Wren

Sep 22, 2014
Solna, Sweden
✟26,447.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Women are not ordained in any truly Baptist Church. There is no such thing as a women pastor.

If a "church" has a women pastor and calls itself Baptist it is deceiving itself and others.

Can you post the Biblical reasons to support your statements?

Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I would be interested in someone from each view to present their biblical interpretations of this issue. To those who would respond, show from the Scripture by breaking down the word and please keep it in context. And please "speak the truth in love."

Why don't you start a new thread to address this issue especially? Sounds like a good one for me.

Oz

Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
No true Scotsman. If a woman is being called by God to preach, who are we to stand in her way? It's not unbiblical for a woman to preach.
Ringo

But the thread is about women pastors, not women preachers.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.