Women who vote for Sanders do it for male attention.

TerranceL

Sarcasm is kind of an art isn't it?
Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
How desperate do you have to be to actually use the "we have the same genitals" argument to get votes.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/08/u...ight-hillary-clinton-bernie-sanders.html?_r=0

While introducing Mrs. Clinton at a rally in New Hampshire on Saturday, Ms. Albright, 78, the first female secretary of state, talked about the importance of electing a woman to the country’s highest office. In a dig at the “revolution” that Mr. Sanders, 74, often speaks of, she said the first female commander in chief would be a true revolution. And she scolded any woman who felt otherwise.

“We can tell our story of how we climbed the ladder, and a lot of you younger women think it’s done,” Ms. Albright said of the broader fight for women’s equality. “It’s not done. There’s a special place in hell for women who don’t help each other!”

Mrs. Clinton, 68, laughed, slowly clapped and took a large sip of her beverage.
There's a special place in hell for women who don't vote for Hillary.

Amazing.

Ms. Steinem, 81, one of the most famous spokeswomen of the feminist movement, took the sentiment a step further on Friday in an interview with the talk show host Bill Maher. Explaining that women tend to become more active in politics as they become older, she suggested that younger women were backing Mr. Sanders just so they could meet young men.

“When you’re young, you’re thinking: ‘Where are the boys? The boys are with Bernie,’ ” Ms. Steinem said.

Lawl u silly womynz thinking 4 urself!

In numerous remarks on social media over the weekend, female supporters of Mr. Sanders accused both women of undermining feminism.

“Shame on Gloria Steinem and Madeleine Albright for implying that we as women should be voting for a candidate based solely on gender,” Zoe Trimboli, a 23-year-old from Vermont who supports Mr. Sanders and describes herself as a feminist, wrote on Facebook. “I can tell you that shaming me and essentially calling me misinformed and stupid is NOT the way to win my vote.”

It's worse if your a male supporter for Sanders, you hate and harass women.

HOW COULD YOU?

https://theintercept.com/2016/01/31...squerading-as-journalism-and-social-activism/

The concoction of the “Bernie Bro” narrative by pro-Clinton journalists has been a potent political tactic — and a journalistic disgrace. It’s intended to imply two equally false claims: (1) a refusal to march enthusiastically behind the Wall Street-enriched, multiple-war-advocating, despot-embracing Hillary Clinton is explainable not by ideology or political conviction, but largely if not exclusively by sexism: demonstrated by the fact that men, not women, support Sanders (his supporters are “bros”); and (2) Sanders supporters are uniquely abusive and misogynistic in their online behavior. Needless to say, a crucial tactical prong of this innuendo is that any attempt to refute it is itself proof of insensitivity to sexism if not sexism itself (as the accusatory reactions to this article will instantly illustrate).

It’s become such an all-purpose, handy pro-Clinton smear that even consummate, actual “bros” for whom the term was originally coined — straight guys who act with entitlement and aggression, such as Paul Krugman — are now reflexively (and unironically) applying it to anyone who speaks ill of Hillary Clinton, even when they know nothing else about the people they’re smearing, including their gender, age, or sexual orientation. Thus, a male policy analyst who criticized Sanders’ health care plan “is getting the Bernie Bro treatment,” sneered Krugman. Unfortunately for the New York Times Bro, that analyst, Charles Gaba, said in response that he’s “really not comfortable with [Krugman’s] referring to die-hard Bernie Sanders supporters as ‘Bernie Bros'” because it “implies that only college-age men support Sen. Sanders, which obviously isn’t the case.”

But truth doesn’t matter here — at all. Instead, the goal is to inherently delegitimize all critics of Hillary Clinton by accusing them of, or at least associating them with, sexism, thus distracting attention away from Clinton’s policy views, funding, and political history and directing it toward the online behavior of anonymous, random, isolated people on the internet claiming to be Sanders supporters. It’s an effective weapon when wielded by Clinton operatives. But, given its blatant falsity, it has zero place in anything purporting to be “journalism.”

"Berniebro" is the new "racist". How dare you be critical of people running for office?

To see the blatant disregard for facts in which this narrative is grounded, let’s quickly look at two of the most widely cited examples of online “Bernie Bro” misogyny from this week’s deluge of articles on the topic, smartly dissected by columnist Carl Beijar (“How many smears on Sanders supporters can we debunk in one week?”). A much-cheered Mashable article — headlined “The bros who love Bernie Sanders have become a sexist mob” — purported to describe the “Bernie Bro” phenomenon as Sanders supporters who are “often young, white, and predominantly male” and whose messages are “oftentimes derogatory and misogynistic.” It cited a grand total of two examples, both from random, unknown internet users. Here was one of those examples, left in response to a Facebook post from New Hampshire Sen. Jeanne Shaheen about a Clinton rally she attended:
Not quoted because of vulgarity.
There are two small problems with this example. First, it’s written by a woman, not a man. Second, it’s not remotely sexist. If anything is sexist, it’s the branding of Carol Jean Simpson as a “bro” because she supports Sanders rather than Clinton.

How pathetic.

AHH who-stole-my-name

in accordance with Christ
Jul 29, 2011
✟27,817.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
How desperate do you have to be to actually use the "we have the same genitals" argument to get votes.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/08/u...ight-hillary-clinton-bernie-sanders.html?_r=0

There's a special place in hell for women who don't vote for Hillary.

Amazing.

Lawl u silly womynz thinking 4 urself!

It's worse if your a male supporter for Sanders, you hate and harass women.

HOW COULD YOU?

https://theintercept.com/2016/01/31...squerading-as-journalism-and-social-activism/

"Berniebro" is the new "racist". How dare you be critical of people running for office?

Not quoted because of vulgarity.

How pathetic.
Desperation is unbecoming and transparent.

Upvote 0

revanneosl

Mystically signifying since 1985
Feb 25, 2007
Northern Illniois
✟39,310.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Neither Madeline Albright nor Gloria Steinem seem to have been able to make the transition from 2nd Wave feminism with any sort of grace or nuance. I'll always be grateful to them though, for smashing so many obstacles that would have otherwise been in my way.

Upvote 0

TerranceL

Sarcasm is kind of an art isn't it?
Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
On the one hand, I don't see anything wrong with women wanting a female president. On the other, I find the way Hillary uses her gender to sidestep arguments pretty shameful.
You really don't see anything wrong with someone wanting to vote for someone because of their sex?

Reactions: seashale76
Upvote 0

A2SG

Gumby
Jun 17, 2008
Massachusetts
✟97,372.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
You really don't see anything wrong with someone wanting to vote for someone because of their sex?

Is it really that different from voting for someone because of some other commonality...say, religion?

-- A2SG, not like people haven't often made voting decisions based on emotion rather than logic, right?

Upvote 0

MerlinJ

Feb 11, 2014
✟9,268.00
Faith
Atheist
What I said was I don't see anything wrong with women wanting a female president, which is to say I understand their desire to see one of their own in a position that has until now been held exclusively by men. It's all good and well to say we're equal, but it'll take a few more presidents who aren't white Christian men before it feels that way to everyone.

Reactions: RuthD
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Neither Madeline Albright nor Gloria Steinem seem to have been able to make the transition from 2nd Wave feminism with any sort of grace or nuance. I'll always be grateful to them though, for smashing so many obstacles that would have otherwise been in my way.
Madeline Albright is like the kid brother you used to get to do things you wouldn't do yourself because they were so dumb or risky. Perhaps we remember that when Bill Clinton was unmasked in the Monica Lewinsky affair, the White House insiders picked her to go out to meet the press and lie for Bill, saying it was all untrue and made up. I'm certain that Al Gore and the others said "No way am I doing that. Let's get Madeline. She'll say anything."

Reactions: jimmyjimmy
Upvote 0

fargonic

Nov 15, 2014
✟14,445.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
People vote for those they identify with. People who value incessant mouthings of empty piety will vote for Ted Cruz. Women see in Hillary a woman who has made it to the upper reaches of the political pile and clearly she had to endure quite a bit of nastiness to get there.

It's arguable that since Hillary probably plays politics "Like a man" (ie probably pretty duplicitously, no different from zillions of other male contenders), but in the end she has progressive credentials, a track record of supporting various issues women will find important (like healthcare for which she took a lot of heat in the 90's).

Bernie is the more Progressive candidate by far, but Hillary probably has the ability to move the ball further down the field if only because she has developed the political machination skills.

There's nothing wrong with women looking to Hillary to advance the apparently unheard-of concept of a woman leading the country. Many of us still remember when Pat Schroeder took a beating for daring to cry. Now nearly 30 years later we have men like Boehner crying whenever he thinks about his own sad childhood or even a sad puppy.

There's the danger that Hillary will just be as aggressive and vile as any male politician could be, but there's a high chance that if she were elected we'd see America enter the 20th century with a woman in the lead and maybe it will be for the better.

Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
People vote for those they identify with. People who value incessant mouthings of empty piety will vote for Ted Cruz. Women see in Hillary a woman who has made it to the upper reaches of the political pile and clearly she had to endure quite a bit of nastiness to get there.

It's arguable that since Hillary probably plays politics "Like a man" (ie probably pretty duplicitously, no different from zillions of other male contenders), but in the end she has progressive credentials, a track record of supporting various issues women will find important (like healthcare for which she took a lot of heat in the 90's).

Bernie is the more Progressive candidate by far, but Hillary probably has the ability to move the ball further down the field if only because she has developed the political machination skills.

There's nothing wrong with women looking to Hillary to advance the apparently unheard-of concept of a woman leading the country. Many of us still remember when Pat Schroeder took a beating for daring to cry. Now nearly 30 years later we have men like Boehner crying whenever he thinks about his own sad childhood or even a sad puppy.

There's the danger that Hillary will just be as aggressive and vile as any male politician could be, but there's a high chance that if she were elected we'd see America enter the 20th century with a woman in the lead and maybe it will be for the better.
Maybe if she wasn't a sleezeball yes. But she is. Her genitals don't magically make her a better person or candidate.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Do they? The ones I've heard from think of her as simply a rider on Bill's coattails, for which she willingly paid the price of lying about and covering up numerous sexual escapades on his part. They don't admire that in another woman.

They also don't think her "experience" amounted to anything other than "marking time" in several political positions she didn't earn on her own.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

fargonic

Nov 15, 2014
✟14,445.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Yes. For instance evangelicals are attracted in no small numbers to Donald Trump who seems to be transparently faking his religious feelings. He refuses to tell anyone his favorite Bible verse yet he proclaims the BIble to be the bestest book on earth. He's clearly only interested in playing dog-whistle to the Evangelical Right.

Ted Cruz blathers on about how God runs everything in America...and he sounds like he's running for the leadership of a theocracy. Meanwhile he's actively working to ensure millions are left without affordable healthcare.

The ones I've heard from think of her as simply a rider on Bill's coattails

So sweet. Ask mom and dad what the early 1990's was like.

, for which she willingly paid the price of lying about and covering up numerous sexual escapades on his part. They don't admire that in another woman.

Oh I agree. She did "stand by her man" and any good feminist would have kneed him in the groin. I suspect that in the background Bill paid some pretty heavy price. Which is why I'm pretty sure Hillary is a pure political animal. I don't like the fact that she has chosen political expediency often in pursuit of power. But, again, she does have some amount of prog cred, even if not as much as we'd like.

They also don't think her "experience" amounted to anything other than "marking time" in several political positions she didn't earn on her own.

OF COURSE! I understand. Because you probably could have been elected to the Senate in NY and Secretary of State but you chose not to pursue those things. I'm not saying she's a great person overall. I rather suspect she's pretty nasty. She's playing the game like any good man would.

Mitt Romney had citizenship in Utah at the time he wanted to run for governor of Mass. (he was a native of Mass but Utah didn't allow dual state residencies). They bent the rules for Mitt to run for governor of Mass. He was as much a carpetbagger as Hillary was in NY. But Mitt became a demi-god of the GOP back in tha day.

As for political "experience" I'm not sure the Right should talk about that. Donald is salesman+tv show celebrity with ZERO elected experience. Ben Carson had ZERO elected experience. Marco Rubio is a first term Senator.

Hmmmmm......

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
As I said, that's not the case with the women I've been hearing from--neighbors and so on. They seem to be in the majority, too, since I'm constantly hearing commentators on the various networks lamenting and questioning why Hillary is doing so badly among younger women and not so hot among women in general.

OF COURSE! I understand. Because you probably could have been elected to the Senate in NY and Secretary of State
That's right. If I had been the spouse of the only member of my party to have been elected to the presidency in the past half-century, I am confident that the party would also have found ME a safe and open Senate seat (even though I didn't even live in that state!) and later on APPOINTED me to a cabinet position as a consolation prize for losing the presidential nomination. You bet. And if you doubt any of this, you aren't very familiar with the way politics actually works.

Upvote 0

Gadarene

-______-
Apr 16, 2012
London
✟75,247.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour

Not that there's really much more grace or nuance to be found in the subsequent waves.

Upvote 0

Gadarene

-______-
Apr 16, 2012
London
✟75,247.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
What I said was I don't see anything wrong with women wanting a female president, which is to say I understand their desire to see one of their own in a position that has until now been held exclusively by men. It's all good and well to say we're equal, but it'll take a few more presidents who aren't white Christian men before it feels that way to everyone.

On the other hand, voting in someone like Hilary Clinton will just make the old boys' club the old boys' and girls' club instead. Such change!

Upvote 0