A Pilgrim and a Sojourner...
Sep 21, 2013
✟13,263.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
... God's rules, not mine...
Yes, and we are considered to be terrible people for believing them, and for thinking they should be followed. Words are invented, and we are assigned a demeaning stigma for holding to the truth of God.

A bright young woman here has argued for the correct position according to the scriptures, and it is as if others are trying to tell her she does not have to let men dominate her.

Last edited:
Reactions: EdwinWillers
Upvote 0

inlight12

Aug 10, 2014
✟7,882.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Guys, guys, guys. Do you realize when we (twin, abacab, metal, oz, blue etc.) argue like this in the last few threads, all the ladies eventually disappear? Its like ladies are amused at the indignation we are showing at each other and are not wiling to participate.

I did not vote. But I have a solution. Let women be pastors, but only in women and children's service i.e. services that do not include men. That way they can be pastors and they won't have authority over men in the church. How about that?

Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,534.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Guys, guys, guys. Do you realize when we (twin, abacab, metal, oz, blue etc.) argue like this in the last few threads, all the ladies eventually disappear? Its like ladies are amused at the indignation we are showing at each other and are not wiling to participate.

I did not vote. But I have a solution. Let women be pastors, but only in women and children's service i.e. services that do not include men. That way they can be pastors and they won't have authority over men in the church. How about that?

The problem with your solution is that it isn't based in Scripture but in emotion. The Scriptures alone, the whole of Scriptures not just a verse or two, is our rule of faith and practice. We are not free to do just anything we feel like doing in the worship of God.

Upvote 0

terryjohn

Sep 26, 2014
✟8,626.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
We have far too many leaders and so little leadership and authority, because Christ came to serve not to be served. If anyone wants authority let them be a humble servant and if they want to be authority let them speak the truth in love. If anyone wants position of power in any other way they are not worthy of Christ for we are not to have authority over one another in anything but love.

Upvote 0

Blue Wren

Sep 22, 2014
Solna, Sweden
✟26,447.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Meh. I don't think a poll on a forum means that much. Most Protestant churches today do ordain women. I'd never attend one that didn't believe in it, and I guess people who are passionate about women not being ordained can go to whatever church supports that belief.

Upvote 0

mikedsjr

Master Newbie
Aug 7, 2014
Fort Worth,Tx
✟17,192.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I guess people ..... can go to whatever church supports that belief.

And there lies the evangelical problem. I've yet to see theological

It would be impossible within evangelicalism to have a council to settle theological doctrinal issues like this. People don't have the patience to settle them properly. They rather be lazy and splinter the church of the one true Triune God.

Upvote 0

Blue Wren

Sep 22, 2014
Solna, Sweden
✟26,447.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
And there lies the evangelical problem. I've yet to see theological

It would be impossible within evangelicalism to have a council to settle theological doctrinal issues like this. People don't have the patience to settle them properly. They rather be lazy and splinter the church of the one true Triune God.

It doesn't seem to be a problem at all in the Baptist church I attend, praise God. We're in a very secularized city and despite this, the church keeps growing and growing. The pastor now, he is a man, but under the leadership of a woman pastor the church grew the most. She retired last year. They had to buy church building because people could no longer fit into one. :)

I'm from Sweden, the highest position in the Church of Sweden is held by a woman. I had no idea anyone believed women couldn't be ordained in Protestant churches until I came here to the US. The Baptist church I attend here, it has ordained women for decades.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DeaconDean

γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον
Jul 19, 2005
Gastonia N.C. (Piedmont of N.C.)
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

So what is wrong with standing up for what scriptures advocate?

I, and a few others, have not said one thing that should have insulted any women.

Do I treat my wife as a "second class citzen" just because she's a female?

"God forbid"!

And as has been pointed out, if you compromise the scriptures, where will it stop?

I could care less if such-and-such church in Europe has been ordaining women for decades.

What I do care about, is the church following the teachings of scriptures.

And it is clear, that the closer we come to the "end times", the further and further away from scriptures we go.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

abacabb3

Jul 14, 2013
✟73,913.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It doesn't seem to be a problem at all in the Baptist church I attend, praise God. We're in a very secularized city and despite this, the church keeps growing and growing. The pastor now, he is a man, but under the leadership of a woman pastor the church grew the most. She retired last year. They had to buy church building because people could no longer fit into one. :)

I'm from Sweden, the highest position in the Church of Sweden is held by a woman. I had no idea anyone believed women couldn't be ordained in Protestant churches until I came here to the US. The Baptist church I attend here, it has ordained women for decades.

Are Swedes culturally superior to Americans? What are you trying to say here?

I don't think anyone these days want to prevent women from being elders in the Church. However, they desire more to be obedient to the plain reading of the Scripture, because it is our sole authority, not whether we like something or not.

Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,534.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married

I don't think anyone these days want to prevent women from being elders in the Church. However, they desire more to be obedient to the plain reading of the Scripture, because it is our sole authority, not whether we like something or not.

:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Blue Wren

Sep 22, 2014
Solna, Sweden
✟26,447.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

You sure are projecting a lot more than what was written. Nope, I never said Swedes were culturally superior to Americans. They are culturally different. You and those who agree with your position can keep on going round and round and round about how you feel the Bible states women can't be overseers. Many others completely disagree with you and believe the Bible and Christ himself supports women being in leadership. That is why the Church of Sweden has a female in the highest position, and the majority of other Protestant churches also fully support women being ordained. She is devoted to the authority of the Bible, too. She just doesn't interpret it the way you do, nor do the others who support women being ordained. Historical context of verses is key to understanding how it should be applied.

This is a fruitless and repetitive conversation. I've never met a Christian in real life who doesn't support women being ordained. You no doubt no plenty of people who have the same beliefs as you. We'll just go our own ways and try to serve the Lord the best we can.

Upvote 0

abacabb3

Jul 14, 2013
✟73,913.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
First question for Blue Wren: What must I do to be saved?

You sure are projecting a lot more than what was written. Nope, I never said Swedes were culturally superior to Americans. They are culturally different.... I've never met a Christian in real life who doesn't support women being ordained.

I don't think I read too much into anything given how you ended your post...

Many others completely disagree with you and believe the Bible...
Actually, the vast majority that do, do not hold a position of inerrancy. We went through this in two threads and we had OzSpen avoiding the fact that he "summarised" a position that blatantly said Paul was wrong.

In fact, find a single traditionalist that does not hold to the position of inerrancy. You can't find it. Now, as for egalitarians, there are tons of egalitarians who doubt the inerrancy of Scripture, literally too much to count.

...Christ himself supports women being in leadership.

No, find a single verse.

She is devoted to the authority of the Bible, too...Historical context of verses is key to understanding how it should be applied.

Hmmm, we can see where this is going. Interesting, do you have any real, non-made up history, that would help your position?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.