Women In Leadership?

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
If it would divide a denomination to ordain women - then what women following Christ would want that? But if they are called to preach, it may be they need to leave that denomination and go where God is calling them. If the Lord is working within a body of believers, be sensitive to that situation.

I have never seen a good situation where women were "USURPING" power from men that was good but you need to see what that word means. That does not mean men should usurp power... the times were different when Paul was writing this...
It's interesting you should note what you did when it comes to the dynamic of ordination and the various ways that the concept of it shifted alongside understanding. For many, not ordaining women for certain positions was not the same as saying that women were not meant for leadership (i.e. not thinking that having a woman not being ordained as a priest meant she couldn't be in leadership as a sage/prophetess or governor/prime minister of a nation or a monarch or someone leading in the marketplace like a doctor or business developer akin to the Proverbs 31 woman).

There were other threads that actually touched on some of the issues you noted, as seen here if interesting in investigating the following:

Upvote 0

Floyd20

Aug 3, 2014
Burnaby, British Columbia
✟15,240.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
CA-Greens
So, separate "ordination of women" from "women as leaders in church." And, perhaps, bring back the issue of "orderly worship." But, it is not about running a successfully church -- at least not always. Jesus did some harsh things that were very unpopular and church leaders can do that too -- if it brings glory to God, guards the Gospel, and eventually leads to edification of the body. I do not think we need Scripture to defend these three causes.

So the questions may become: can women glorify God in orderly worship; can women guard the Gospel in orderly worship; and, can women edify the body of believers in orderly worship? Is there Scriptural evidence that leads to these conclusions?

And, perhaps, are there any restrictions? Some people have believed that women should not preside over Communion because of the nature of the service. Whether the significance is symbolic or mystical or beyond these and why a male leader may be needed can be discussed and be a concern for prayer. Similarly, lay ministry versus those with a professional calling for the sacraments can be discussed and be a concern of prayer.

The priesthood of all believers and equality among the Christians does seem to make for more open worship. Symbolism is one thing. Professionalism is another. Adequate Scriptural basis is unnegotiable. And that is why we are having trouble with the diversity of viewpoints on this thread.

If we merely look for the reasons behind our worship practices, then we may find ourselves becoming unscriptural. If we merely look for scriptural traditions, we may find ourselves becoming unspiritual. If I were to capitalize Scriptural and/or Spiritual, I may find myself privileging one over the other. I may have done this in some of my previous statements. How do we avoid being overly legal or overly puffed up by experiences? Can we examine ourselves? Knowing the Truth is more than strictly Scriptural.

Those who put the Cross and the Atonement as central and even above the teachings of Jesus may make different interpretations of what this means. Lifting up Jesus Christ in His Holiness is challenging, but if this be the result of debating and considering the ordination of women, than it shall be a good thing.

Upvote 0