Disciple
Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
✟15,117.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
I do not wear tzitzit as it is not considered a commandment for women. .

Considered by whom?
Are not women also "Children of Israel"?

Numbers 15:38 Speak unto the children of Israel, and bid them that they make them fringes in the borders of their garments throughout their generations, and that they put upon the fringe of the borders a ribband of blue:

15:39 And it shall be unto you for a fringe, that ye may look upon it, and remember all the commandments of the LORD, and do them; and that ye seek not after your own heart and your own eyes, after which ye use to go a whoring:

15:40 That ye may remember, and do all my commandments, and be holy unto your God.

My wife and daughters wear them.
Some women in my congregation wear them, some have not yet been convicted to do so.

It seems to be fairly straight forward to me - YHWH said wear them.
To me it is submission, obedience and yes - it helps us to remember.

But that's me
:)

Upvote 0

ContraMundum

Messianic Jewish Christian
Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Visit site
✟78,078.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Considered by whom?
Are not women also "Children of Israel"?

Numbers 15:38 Speak unto the children of Israel, and bid them that they make them fringes in the borders of their garments throughout their generations, and that they put upon the fringe of the borders a ribband of blue:

15:39 And it shall be unto you for a fringe, that ye may look upon it, and remember all the commandments of the LORD, and do them; and that ye seek not after your own heart and your own eyes, after which ye use to go a whoring:

15:40 That ye may remember, and do all my commandments, and be holy unto your God.

Some women in my congregation wear them, some have not yet been convicted to do so.

But that's me

I'm with the Rabbis on this one. Women are exempt from time-centered mitzvahs.

Upvote 0

ContraMundum

Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Visit site
✟78,078.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
And on what do you base this?
Where do you see in the Word the Most High giving women "an exemption"?

Check out the rabbinic argument, and you will see that it makes perfect sense. No use me going over the point again here.

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,928.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'm with the Rabbis on this one. Women are exempt from time-centered mitzvahs.
Not all Rabbis, I've heard of one quite awhile ago that studied on this miztvah and decided that it was for women too. He even went to the trouble himself to tie them to his wifes apron. :p:D

Upvote 0

ChavaK

להיות טוב ולעשות טוב
May 12, 2005
US
✟158,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
I used to wear tzitzits. It has been years though.
I no longer attend synagogue. I moved 6 hours away.
Why did you quit wearing them? Is it related to being so far away
from a congregation?

Upvote 0

xDenax

Jewish
Jul 20, 2009
United States
✟13,510.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

But that's me

I'm Jewish, not Christian. Our line of thinking is different. If you want to know about it then look it up. I don't do or not do anything because of "conviction". That's basically doing whatever you feel like doing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ChavaK

להיות טוב ולעשות טוב
May 12, 2005
US
✟158,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
xDena[/quote said:
I don't do or not do anything because of "conviction". That's basically doing whatever you feel like doing.
Ah, yes, the old "pick and choose". Is that what "convicted" means?
Deciding on one's own that one should do something?
I never quite understood the term as related to Christianity.

Upvote 0

xDenax

Jewish
Jul 20, 2009
United States
✟13,510.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't do or not do anything because of "conviction". That's basically doing whatever you feel like doing.
I never quite understood the term as related to Christianity.[/quote]

It's supposed to mean you wait for God to tell you what to do. But is that the reality? I don't believe so.

Upvote 0

yedida

Ruth Messianic, joining Israel, Na'aseh v'nishma!
Oct 6, 2010
Elyria, OH
✟25,205.00
Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
I never quite understood the term as related to Christianity.

It's supposed to mean you wait for God to tell you what to do. But is that the reality? I don't believe so.[/quote]

That's exactly what it is. I don't think you see (hear) that term much from us Messianics because we believe we already have God's instructions on how we are supposed to live as concerns both our physical lives and spiritual lives.
Back in the 70s I had a friend who wouldn't even go out for a meal or shopping without praying over it first! Of course, God never once ended up telling her not to come with me for a meal, nor did he ever tell her not to shop or go to a movie, but it sure got old waiting on her to do all that praying!
Don't get me wrong, praying is wonderful, but I think my friend was a bit overboard in the whole thing waiting for either a positive or negative "conviction" about any given situation.

Upvote 0

ChavaK

להיות טוב ולעשות טוב
May 12, 2005
US
✟158,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
It's supposed to mean you wait for God to tell you what to do. But is that the reality? I don't believe so.

I can see all kinds of problems with that....what happens if two people ask G-d the same question regarding an observance and receive two different answers? Who's right? Which way do you observe the commandment?

Upvote 0

yedida

Oct 6, 2010
Elyria, OH
✟25,205.00
Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
I can see all kinds of problems with that....what happens if two people ask G-d the same question regarding an observance and receive two different answers? Who's right? Which way do you observe the commandment?

Chava, I didn't say that, I think that quote is from Dena! Check my post prior to yours that I'm responding to - it came out weird on my post but those are not my words!! (Mine are 2 spaces below that section of quote marks.)

Yeah, it's from Dena's post #92.

Oh, and I answered your question on my post. Christianity very often seems like a feel-good, each-to-his-own religion. I think that's one of the reasons why many of us left the church. We realized that God has told us what and how to do his will, it's in the Torah, and the holy men of God in ancient times have told us many of the how-to's.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Pastor Joe Fox

Disciple
Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
✟15,117.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married

Respectfully: Yes, you do.

You do what you choose to do.
You make choices.
You decide to do something and you do it (or not)

Perhaps we have a different definition of "convicted". I could as easily (to my mind) written, "some have not yet decided to wear tzitzit." I could have also written, "some have not yet decided to be obedient to the Most High and His commands as written in Torah".

And FWIW - I do not consider myself a "Christian".

"I" choose to follow what my Father said in His word - not what some men say.

It's cool, it's a free country (sort of).
We all make choices in life.
Choices have consequences.
Choose wisely.

Upvote 0

yedida

Oct 6, 2010
Elyria, OH
✟25,205.00
Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship

You make choices.

Perhaps we have a different definition of "convicted". I could as easily (to my mind) written, "some have not yet decided to wear tzitzit." I could have also written, "some have not yet decided to be obedient to the Most High and His commands as written in Torah".

And FWIW - I do not consider myself a "Christian".

"I" choose to follow what my Father said in His word - not what some men say.

It's cool, it's a free country (sort of).
We all make choices in life.
Choices have consequences.
Choose wisely.

:amen: :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

xDenax

Jewish
Jul 20, 2009
United States
✟13,510.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

You make choices.

Perhaps we have a different definition of "convicted". I could as easily (to my mind) written, "some have not yet decided to wear tzitzit."

Conviction doesn't mean "the decision to do" so yes, we appear to have a different definition of the term.

Upvote 0

xDenax

Jewish
Jul 20, 2009
United States
✟13,510.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Exactly. This is why when someone tells me God "convicted" them of something I assume they are doing what they wish to do. For some reason they just think God told them to do it. It's a very convenient way to live your life, that is for sure. God always agrees with you. ;)

Upvote 0

ContraMundum

Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Visit site
✟78,078.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Replace "convinced" for "convicted" and you'll get the picture on the whole Christian notion of what it means.

I think everyone makes their own choices when it comes to religion. Even followers of Judaism make choices as to their level of observance. This is the same as being convinced of the veracity or holiness of something. The Christians use the term "convicted" more to reflect the belief that a personal relationship with God will result in Him bringing things to our attention through our conscience and convincing us to follow Him on various personal and religious matters.

Upvote 0