✟78,078.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Fascinating topic.

I am currently researching why people want to change their appearance for religion for an essay I am working on.

So my question is: why do people want to change their appearance/dress for religious reasons? (Meaning- Judaism does not teach that women are to wear any tzitzis, and modern fashions mean that they would be redundant on 99.9% of the garments people wear in our society, so why do people who do not need to wear nor have an immediate reason to wear such things go out of their way to make a reason to wear them?)

Upvote 0

xDenax

Jewish
Jul 20, 2009
United States
✟13,510.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Fascinating topic.

I am currently researching why people want to change their appearance for religion for an essay I am working on.

So my question is: why do people want to change their appearance/dress for religious reasons? (Meaning- Judaism does not teach that women are to wear any tzitzis, and modern fashions mean that they would be redundant on 99.9% of the garments people wear in our society, so why do people who do not need to wear nor have an immediate reason to wear such things go out of their way to make a reason to wear them?)

I dress a bit more modestly now then I did previously but I don't look "religious". I didn't do it to look religious either. Frankly, I think tzitzit look silly on women. That's just my opinon same as people probably think some of the things I would wear look silly.

Upvote 0

ContraMundum

Messianic Jewish Christian
Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Visit site
✟78,078.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm not sure about where you live, but Tunics are in high fashion here at the moment. Everything that isn't very 80s style coming out, is very tunic-friendly clothing for Spring/Summer 2012.

Ignorant male question: what's an 80's tunic look like? :sorry:

Upvote 0

ContraMundum

Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Visit site
✟78,078.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Identification. People want to identify with something they adhere to. Clothing is how we identify. An outward sign of an inward decision.

Yes, quite true, I figured that much out so far, but the question is: why? What's so important about wanting the world to know what you identify with? I started pondering this due to the prevalence of the burka (sp?) in the area I am now ministering in, and then I got to thinking...a lot of people are really into wearing "colours" (as the gangs call it) to identify their religion- my own colleagues included (although I have pretty much ditched it except for certain occasions myself)

See what I am getting at? I wonder what the underlying deep rooted motive is. I have thought about my own practice of clerical wear too, and my own religious heritage from before the cloth.

Upvote 0

ContraMundum

Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Visit site
✟78,078.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I dress a bit more modestly now then I did previously but I don't look "religious". I didn't do it to look religious either. Frankly, I think tzitzit look silly on women. That's just my opinon same as people probably think some of the things I would wear look silly.

Modesty is wonderful, but strictly speaking you don't have to be religious to dress modestly or have the conviction that it is a good thing.

I don't particularly like tzitzit on women either- but is it a result of my own religious conditioning? Is it really just a cultural reaction? Anyway....that's probably not important right now...but thanks for your input.

Upvote 0
M

MessianicMommy

Ignorant male question: what's an 80's tunic look like? :sorry:
Style 1
Style 2

Style 3
Style 4
Style 5

Maternity style 1
Maternity style 2

Not all have 4 corners, but most can be modified for such if one is a bit more curvy. I've done it before.

The big thing right now are the kimono-tops/Butterfly armed tops that were really popular around the time of Charlies Angels, Buck Rogers and Battlestar Gallactica. (Late 70s, very early 80s)

I really like the ones I saw over at Alsharifa. Yes, it is a shop for muslimas, but the tunics and Kurti from there are beautiful and pretty common.

Upvote 0

ChavaK

להיות טוב ולעשות טוב
May 12, 2005
US
✟158,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Interesting topic, would love to read it if you can share it when done.
So my question is: why do people want to change their appearance/dress for religious reasons?
Cultural norm/religious acceptance. I don't look any different than anyone else walking down the street, so people aren't going to say "Look! An Orthodox Jew!" But put me in a religious setting, and if I didn't cover my hair or follow tzunius, I'd stick out like a sore thumb.
I don't wear a sheitl or long skirts/long sleeved tops to announce to the world what or who I am. I do it because my beliefs require it, and let's face it, everyone wants to fit in with their "peer" group.

Upvote 0

anisavta

Never Forget!
May 25, 2008
Too far away from Jerusalem
✟16,693.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
@MM I wear those kinds of tunics. I pick them up in Israel and I find them at thrift stores. First they are comfortable and they are modest.
It's interesting when at the kotel. You can spot the branches of Judaism by the dress - for women more so than men - except by their hats. I can tell who are Satmars and who are Breslovers by the colors and styles of skirts, hats, scarves or sheitl.
It use to be you could tell the Christians apart, but sad to say many young girls (and their mothers too) look no different than the gals I pass on the street waiting for a good night's wage.
I guess you could spot me a mile away at Walmart. I'm the one not wearing low slung pajama pants and a sports bra.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ChavaK

להיות טוב ולעשות טוב
May 12, 2005
US
✟158,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
At my walmart women wear short skirts/tight jeans and stripper heels.
Sounds like Ben Yehuda mall.

At My Wal-Mart no one my age dares to have everything hanging out in public :);)

Upvote 0

ChavaK

להיות טוב ולעשות טוב
May 12, 2005
US
✟158,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
why do people who do not need to wear nor have an immediate reason to wear such things go out of their way to make a reason to wear them?
Good question. I've asked that here before, regarding why many Messianics pattern their dress after what Jews do....yarmulkes, complete hair covering, tallis katan, peyes, wearing Jewish jewelry. I don't understand why they are
trying to identify with a group that is not their own.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

yonah_mishael

הֱיֵה קודם כל בן אדם
Jun 14, 2009
Tel Aviv, Israel
Visit site
✟27,173.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
You've got Ikea! What more could you want? ;)

Are you aware that the one in Hertzliah burnt down last year? We have one in Palmachim, near Rishon Lezion, which is really close to my town. I've never been to that one, though! I went to the one up north before they built this new one.

Upvote 0

ChavaK

להיות טוב ולעשות טוב
May 12, 2005
US
✟158,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Are you aware that the one in Hertzliah burnt down last year? We have one in Palmachim, near Rishon Lezion, which is really close to my town. I've never been to that one, though! I went to the one up north before they built this new one.
No wasn't aware it had burned down. We have one about an hour from my
place, but I haven't been to it yet.

Upvote 0

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Good question. I've asked that here before, regarding why many Messianics pattern their dress after what Jews do....yarmulkes, complete hair covering, tallis katan, peyes, wearing Jewish jewelry. I don't understand why they are trying to identify with a group that is not their own.

It is the same thing that draws some people to native American traditions. Community. It is also why so many can be drawn into cults. People want more than just going to religious meetings once or twice a week. They want to be part of something that binds them to others like them. Even though I don't agree with the Jewish religion today, they have community with each other that is enviable.

Upvote 0

anisavta

Never Forget!
May 25, 2008
Too far away from Jerusalem
✟16,693.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
You've got Ikea! What more could you want? ;)
Are you aware that the one in Hertzliah burnt down last year?
That's the one I use to go to. I loved wandering around listening to Israeli music and seeing everything we have here only with price stickers in shekels. And you could go to the cafeteria and order anything without having to ask if it has pork in it!

Upvote 0

ContraMundum

Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Visit site
✟78,078.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Good question. I've asked that here before, regarding why many Messianics pattern their dress after what Jews do....yarmulkes, complete hair covering, tallis katan, peyes, wearing Jewish jewelry. I don't understand why they are
trying to identify with a group that is not their own.

Well, the same question I would bring before people of all religions...what's with the need to change one's appearance or to comply with a "uniform code" of any religious community?

See where I am comng from?

Upvote 0