God's own
May 16, 2009
Finland
✟37,132.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well I think most computer games are somehow unchristian but I think Josh would be old enough to understand that and to know games from real life LOL. And from what I've heard of you I don't think you'd ever let him play too much so he'd get too fond of it so I don't see why he shouldn't play at all. An when it comes to your mum... Well everyone disagrees with their parents about something especially concerning kids so no need to be sad about that. A computer game is a small issue after all.

Upvote 0

Obzocky

Senior Contributor
Dec 24, 2009
Rain Land
✟33,236.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Being the awful person that I am I believe something only has as much power as you give it.

Josh knows that the game is fictional, he knows that it's all a story made for entertainment, you're a very capable mother and Josh is a bright young man; between you i'm sure the game can be enjoyed for what it is, pure entertainment, rather than what people could make it into, which according to some (not just your mother) a method by which children are being led to the occult.

I'm aware of the verses people throw out in response to things even slightly related to witchcraft and whatnot, and to be honest i'm still of the opinion that if you know that what you are playing/reading/whatevering is pure fantasy, and you know the truth, then playing is not an issue. If it consumes you and the game becomes far more important than the truth, then it's an issue.

As I said before, i'm sure you're capable enough to make sure Josh does not fall into it so deeply that fantasy world becomes his life.

Upvote 0

MacFall

Agorist
Nov 24, 2007
Western Pennsylvania, USA
✟25,688.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The only problem I have with fantasy of any kind is if it leads a person to be distracted from real life (by playing the game too much, or engaging in excessive daydreaming while not playing) or from God (by subtly introducing concepts that oppose Him). So unless he's the type of kid to be prone to the former, or unless the magic used in the game has some dark spiritual element, which is usually absent in fantasy, I wouldn't worry about it. And even if it does contain some of the latter, it would only be a problem if he is open to recieve that sort of idea, and I would suppose that you have taught him well enough to avoid that.

People who conflate fantasy with the occult bother me. All fiction lies on a sliding scale of fantasy vs. realism, but in the end, it's all fiction. And fiction involving unrealistic elements (whether technological or magical) is no more or less dangerous than realistic fiction involving weapons or lies or recklessness or cruelty. All effective fiction portrays darkness in some form, the better to show light by contrast; and if a person is opposed to some kind of darkness in fiction, then they really should oppose conflict altogether; and fiction without conflict is worthless.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lord Herdsetk

What were they thinking?
Dec 4, 2010
Alabama
✟16,810.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I learned witchcraft from Harry Potter. I frequently cast spells on my friends :D

...I wouldn't worry about the game teaching kid witchcraft. Just make sure that he's not talking with any weird people and it'd probably be okay. I've never actually played Wizard101, so maybe it doesn't allow you to chat with others freely, meaning it may have like a selection of phrases you can use to talk. If that's the case, I really don't see anything wrong with it whatsoever.

EDIT:
I looked up how the chat system works, basically anyone under 13 can't talk with other folks freely. So yeah, I'd say it should be fine.

Upvote 0

Tink

our God is faithful. ♥
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2004
Texas
✟56,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I think your mom needs to "step off" for lack of better terms. :D

You're Josh's mother, and are perfectly capable of making the decisions regarding his welfare.

As for the game specifically, it look kinda interesting. :)

Upvote 0

Inkachu

Bursting with fruit flavor!
Jan 31, 2008
Somewhere between Rivendell and Rohan
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thanks, Sara lol. I love my mom to bits, and I know Josh is like, her whole world, and I wouldn't change that for anything. But ever since she got into the Pentecostal movement...ugh...everything is "supernatural"...it's maddening. I love her so much, and she helps me SO much with Josh, I can't damage their relationship. But I HAVE to be Josh's mom first and foremost, and I really think she's doing harm to his mental/emotional state sometimes.

:sigh:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MacFall

Agorist
Nov 24, 2007
Western Pennsylvania, USA
✟25,688.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Pentecostal movement

Ah.

Yeah, I've had Pentecostals tell me that female friends of mine were "communing with incubii" because they were wearing ankle bracelets. And that I was getting my story ideas from demons. Some of them ascribe to the demonic world far more power than it actually has - especially considering that a Christian cannot be touched by it in the first place. Sometimes I wonder if they just believe that stuff because it's more exciting that way.

Oh, and my favorite - I should stop hanging out with theology students because they have been "filled with a religious spirit".

Upvote 0

Amber.ly

Predictably eccentric and honestly hypocritical
Mar 1, 2010
Gone- PM if you need me
✟22,486.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I admit to being a bit of a prude. I think there are games that deal with supernatural themes and ideas that Christian families should not be involved with.

I recognize that you need to teach your children the difference between fantasy and truth but I think harm can come from these situations if you aren't very careful and on your guard.

This game seems harmless but honestly, I would sit down and play through it a bit, then take it to God and say "so, how is this looking?". I do hold that if you ask, He will answer LOL

The Bible gives us not just commandments but principles to follow. This seems to fall under that category.

Upvote 0

Inkachu

Jan 31, 2008
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ah.

Yeah, I've had Pentecostals tell me that female friends of mine were "communing with incubii" because they were wearing ankle bracelets. And that I was getting my story ideas from demons. Some of them ascribe to the demonic world far more power than it actually has - especially considering that a Christian cannot be touched by it in the first place. Sometimes I wonder if they just believe that stuff because it's more exciting that way.

Oh, and my favorite - I should stop hanging out with theology students because they have been "filled with a religious spirit".

I'm glad you understand, lol. I've had another person tell me that owning anything to do with dragons (books, posters, etc) is inviting demons into my home. I mean...:doh:...what CAN I do that's safe, according to them??

I admit to being a bit of a prude. I think there are games that deal with supernatural themes and ideas that Christian families should not be involved with.

I recognize that you need to teach your children the difference between fantasy and truth but I think harm can come from these situations if you aren't very careful and on your guard.

This game seems harmless but honestly, I would sit down and play through it a bit, then take it to God and say "so, how is this looking?". I do hold that if you ask, He will answer LOL

The Bible gives us not just commandments but principles to follow. This seems to fall under that category.

I don't think you're prudish, and I totally believe that we need to be VERY careful and vigilant about what we feed into our minds. We need to remember, in all things, that we belong to Jesus Christ, including our minds, and what goes in there needs to reflect that fact.

Upvote 0

Inkachu

Jan 31, 2008
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, my mom isn't like that. She's a wonderful, kind, sweet, loving, intelligent woman. But I think she's been searching her whole life, for meaning, comfort, security, etc. She's been through a lot of tragedies and hardships, and I think her stubborness and strength have kept her going. She's been a Christian for many, many years, but this most recent thing seems to be something she's latched onto. I suspect it's because my dad is probably in his last years with her, and she's going to be very alone when he's gone (we have no other family around, she has very few friends), and I think she's frightened and unsure of the future (I mean, I would be, too!), and she's sort of battling against the inevitable, or looking for something MORE than just simple faith. Like she wants to fight, instead of letting God do the fighting.

Wow, talk about getting off on a tangent...sorry about that lol.

Anyway...because she missed pretty much all the cues that spelled "trouble is coming" when my brother and I were little, I think she's wayyyyy over-compensating on Josh, even though he's one of the most grounded, happy, bright kids you could ever meet. I don't see him going down any of the awful paths that our family has gone down in the past.

Gonna shutup now.

Upvote 0