Wives, be subject to your own husbands...

hsilgne

Frustrated in Hooterville.
Feb 25, 2005
Canada
✟39,329.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Gentlemen...

"... love your wives, even as Christ loved the church and handed himself over for her"

Do you understand that we are to love our wives unconditionally? Like Christ loves the Church... 'unconditionally'.

Don't treat her nicely or buy her gifts or help her with tasks in order to get something in return.

Love her, help her, honor her, treat her with respect at all times. Expecting nothing in return.

If we follow this instruction our marriages will flourish and our wives will submit as they are instructed to.

It's not about power. It's about love.

LaSorcia

Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2015
✟1,346,889.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Hey, I thought this was just going to be another sexist post. But really you are right, both sexes have to lay down their lives for the other partner when married. My opinion is that St. Paul was saying just that; he just put it in terms that people of his day and age would understand.

Upvote 0

LaSorcia

Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2015
✟1,346,889.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I am definitely a 'radical feminist'. But, as I said above, I truly believe St. Paul was just trying to tell both parties involved in a marriage basically the same thing, in diction they could both understand and agree with. Also, women in his day and age sometimes had less say in who their marriage partner was. And, many women were becoming Christians and their husbands were not in the early church.

But I still think the main point is that we are supposed to put the needs of the other above our own. If we all do this, God is happy. We all don't do this all the time, of course, being mere mortal humans, but when we are aware of it, we have to do it anyway.
You had me until the wives submit part, lol.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟440,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Gentlemen...

"... love your wives, even as Christ loved the church and handed himself over for her"

Do you understand that we are to love our wives unconditionally? Like Christ loves the Church... 'unconditionally'.

Don't treat her nicely or buy her gifts or help her with tasks in order to get something in return.

Love her, help her, honor her, treat her with respect at all times. Expecting nothing in return.

If we follow this instruction our marriages will flourish and our wives will submit as they are instructed to.

:oldthumbsup:

I like having respect for who i am.
Not occasionally helping out for a return.

Actually both should submit. [Ephesians]
Reading up on where Corinth was - Greece.
Pagan area... pagan ideas.
Women were treated as goddesses - and had rule over the men in most areas.
Im not sure which area, per say.
I ran across an archaeology program they uncovered pagan tombs - and the women were buried with their vows.
To which the man could have affairs but she ruled the home. It seemed like a calculated financial agreement.

Likely Paul was introducing a whole new way of life. Which is submission to the other.
Which makes sense.
I recall EWTN teaching...
'The last shall be first' - and in marriage if both put themselves last then the other is always putting them 1st - both are first.
If both are first - both are content.
If you truly love someone - putting them first should be instinctive.
Love - says Paul - doesn't insist on it's way.
plus he was talking to wives
many [protestant minded] men think its their duty to enforce submission.

Reactions: LaSorcia
Upvote 0

bill5

Jul 30, 2011
✟63,199.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Hey, I thought this was just going to be another sexist post.
I have to admit I wondered too based on the subject title (which doesn't match the OP-?). But anyway, yes, well said, and of course the same goes for wives towards their husbands.

Reactions: LaSorcia
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Hey, I thought this was just going to be another sexist post. But really you are right, both sexes have to lay down their lives for the other partner when married. My opinion is that St. Paul was saying just that; he just put it in terms that people of his day and age would understand.

true
both parties are to give 100%
but that does not manifest in the same way

Reactions: hsilgne
Upvote 0

longhair75

Searching once more
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2004
omaha
✟157,439.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Incomparable Sunflower and I are two halves of one whole being, equal partners and neither of us are above the other. There is no submission, just the two of us facing the future holding hands

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟440,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
The Incomparable Sunflower and I are two halves of one whole being, equal partners and neither of us are above the other. There is no submission, just the two of us facing the future holding hands
That's how it is supposed to be.
:)
For love isnt about hurting the other by insisting or dominating the other.
Its equal as two parts complimentary of the other.
The feminine and masculine align to make one.
God is all essence - divided into two genders to come back together and compliment the other.

St Paul was basically describing to each how to do it perfectly for ..."The Other."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,090,405.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Couples need to make mutual decisions and communicate frequently and well. What works for one couple may not work for another.

Each partner brings certain gifts and talents to the relationship, and their roles shouldn't be predetermined by gender but by gifts, talents, interests, and how much time they have to dedicate to running a household. That's just common sense.

While most of what you said was good, hsligne, the end part about "if we love our wives unconditionally then they will submit as they should..." had me thinking, "Oy, vey" a good post marred by ninth-inning manipulation.

Reactions: Paidiske
Upvote 0

hsilgne

Frustrated in Hooterville.
Feb 25, 2005
Canada
✟39,329.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
While most of what you said was good, hsligne, the end part about "if we love our wives unconditionally then they will submit as they should..." had me thinking, "Oy, vey" a good post marred by ninth-inning manipulation.

Satan has hardened the hearts of many with his wicked feminist agenda. This twisted lie is a direct assault from the evil one and aims to destroy the family. And it’s working evidenced by an out of control divorce rate, a gender confused society and a staggering obsession with inappropriate contentography. The devil has successfully used this lie as a distorted filter perverting holy words like ‘submission’. Convincing many that God’s call for husbands to 'love their wives as Christ loves the church' and for wives to 'submit to your husbands, the head of the family' is a fault.

Ladies and Gentlemen... obeying these commandments from God is not a sign of weakness as the devil would have you believe. On the contrary it is a sign of obedience, love and strength and is pleasing to God.

“If anyone has ears to hear, let them hear.”

Upvote 0

s_gunter

Contributor
Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2003
Visit site
✟59,965.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Satan has hardened the hearts of many with his wicked feminist agenda. This twisted lie is a direct assault from the evil one and aims to destroy the family. And it’s working evidenced by an out of control divorce rate, a gender confused society and a staggering obsession with inappropriate contentography. The devil has successfully used this lie as a distorted filter perverting holy words like ‘submission’. Convincing many that God’s call for husbands to 'love their wives as Christ loves the church' and for wives to 'submit to your husbands, the head of the family' is a fault.

Ladies and Gentlemen... obeying these commandments from God is not a sign of weakness as the devil would have you believe. On the contrary it is a sign of obedience, love and strength and is pleasing to God.

“If anyone has ears to hear, let them hear.”
So what explains the fact that the highest divorce rates occur in the Bible Belt? What explains the fact that most inappropriate content, and especially gay inappropriate content is watched the most in the Bible Belt, namely in my own state of Mississippi? Can't blame the "wicked feminist agenda" here in the South for those stats, not where we pass laws to circumvent the federal government regarding gay marriage and by passing "bathroom" bills in an effort to remedy this gender confusion.

That said, I think I agree with you in your previous post where you said, "if we love our wives unconditionally then they will submit as they should..." Most of us women would recognize when we are being sincerely taken care of and loved, and we'd return that favor as much as we could.

Reactions: Fantine
Upvote 0

ScottA

Author: Walking Like Einstein
Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2011
✟33,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Gentlemen...

Every man and every woman of God have a role to play: As Christ is the Bridegroom and we are the bride, both men and women are categorically the same before God...EXCEPT...in the roles we have been given. Men are to emulate God as Christ loved/loves the church, and women are to emulate the church in a loving and grateful relationship with Christ...as His body and help mate.

Likewise, the role of the head of the church, is given to men.

Last edited:
Upvote 0