Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The Daytona Beach News
By JANETTE NEUWAHL
December 06, 2005

. . . Pagan thinks the suspect is someone known to the local pagan community ---- perhaps another pagan familiar with Theban script.

Pagans in Volusia and Flagler counties are a loose-knit group with various beliefs. Some believe in multiple deities, while some follow the Wicca, Celtic, Norse, Egyptian, Druid, African and Native American traditions.

"Someone knew damn well that I was a witch and that I would recognize Theban for what it was," Pagan said, angry at what she calls a hate crime on her Belvedere Lane home . . .

http://www.news-journalonline.com/NewsJournalOnline/News/Flagler/03FlaglerFLAG01120605.htm

Reactions: EbonNelumbo

Polycarp1

Born-again Liberal Episcopalian
Sep 4, 2003
USA
✟25,875.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
LittlePinky82 said:
What's TheBan???

From a Wiccan webpage I have no desire to link to:
Theban script was created by Honorius in the 12th century as a way to encode other writing (likely Latin at the time). This alphabet is also sometimes called the Runes of Honorius, or the Witch's Alphabet because it's been adopted by many modern-day witches.

It has absolutely no connection to any of the styles of writing in use in either the Egyptian or the Greek Thebes. Google "Theban Script" for the alphabet and some samples if you're at all interested. (It also has no connection to historical runic alphabets, by the way.)

Upvote 0

Thirst_For_Knowledge

I Am A New Title
Jan 20, 2005
Michigan
Visit site
✟8,524.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Heh, her name is Jill Pagan?

This is the oddest article I have ever read. They just assume that the person who did this was another Pagan, because it was written in Theban, something that supposedly only witches are familiar with? It sounds to me like it would be a non-pagan doing this? Saying "stop what you are doing" in a language that is thought to be a "Pagan language" (which it isn't, BTW).

I wonder what makes people think that it was another Pagan, and not a Christian. There doesn't seem to be proof either way. I guess their mind goes to another Pagan, while mine goes to a Christian. *Shrug*

Upvote 0

CyberPaladin

Veteran
Dec 2, 2005
✟53,287.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
It makes most sense though Christians wouldn't know the langauge unless expagan. Also pagan is a term used to describe a variety of religions and if you look at how much fighting you have within Christianity and how similar we all are and compared to pagans who have different gods but viewed all as the same I can see why the police would make that assumption.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Thirst_For_Knowledge

I Am A New Title
Jan 20, 2005
Michigan
Visit site
✟8,524.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
CyberPaladin said:
It makes most sense though Christians wouldn't know the langauge unless expagan. Also pagan is a term used to describe a variety of religions and if you look at how much fighting you have within Christianity and how similar we all are and compared to pagans who have different gods but viewed all as the same I can see why the police would make that assumption.

It's not like some weird hidden thing. You can go anywhere on the internet, or to your local bookstore to find information on it.

Upvote 0

Voegelin

Reactionary
Aug 18, 2003
Connecticut
✟26,726.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
thirstforknowledge said:
. . .I wonder what makes people think that it was another Pagan, and not a Christian. There doesn't seem to be proof either way. I guess their mind goes to another Pagan, while mine goes to a Christian. *Shrug*

When looking for a perp, cops always look within the victim's circle of associates.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Polycarp1

Born-again Liberal Episcopalian
Sep 4, 2003
USA
✟25,875.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
CyberPaladin said:

Although I've known a few open pagans over the years, until I read this thread and Googled it up, I didn't know "theban script" from Old High Gibberish. It isn't hard to find things out these days.

Upvote 0

CyberPaladin

Veteran
Dec 2, 2005
✟53,287.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I while I will admit you right you probably could easily find out internet I don't know the kind of christian that would throw a rock through your window trying to scare you into leaving the community I don't think would learn a langauge like that. The kind of Christian that use these style of intimidation tactics probably view language as being a devil language.

Upvote 0

PookySmiley

Mobiosity - Only one side
Sep 23, 2005
here
✟8,774.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
thirstforknowledge said:
Heh, her name is Jill Pagan?

This is the oddest article I have ever read. They just assume that the person who did this was another Pagan, because it was written in Theban, something that supposedly only witches are familiar with? It sounds to me like it would be a non-pagan doing this? Saying "stop what you are doing" in a language that is thought to be a "Pagan language" (which it isn't, BTW).

I wonder what makes people think that it was another Pagan, and not a Christian. There doesn't seem to be proof either way. I guess their mind goes to another Pagan, while mine goes to a Christian. *Shrug*
I figure it's a nut case. Faith or lack of it notwithstanding.

Upvote 0

ACougar

U.S. Army Retired
Feb 7, 2003
Arizona
Visit site
✟37,952.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
CyberPaladin said:

Thebian is in dozens of books that you can buy off the self at any local book store. Ozzy Osborn even coded messages in it for his "Diary of a Madman" CD booklet. You can download the font at Fontica.com, it's all over the place and hardly a secret.

Someone realized she was a Witch and/or Wiccan, decided they didn't like that and decided to intimidate her. Could have been Christian, Satanist, Jew, Muslim, Pagan, there is no way of knowing...

Upvote 0