May 24, 2015
✟15,107.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
Given the recent spate of anti-intellectual posts in GT refarding theologians and theology, I thought it would be a good idea to join with my honourable friend @Aelred of Rievaulx and regale the members of this forum with some of the sublime statements made by ancient theologians.

For purposes of thread management, we are limiting this discussion to ancient theologians, from the second century, until the fall of Constantinople in 1453. For practical purposes, this means we befin roughly with the second century St. Irenaeus of Lyons, continue through Origen, St. Athanasius, the Capadocians, et al, and conclude with the likes of Thomas Aquinas in the West, and St. Gregory Palamas in the East.

Wgw

Pray For Brussels!
May 24, 2015
✟15,107.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
From the Philokalia, One Hundred Texts on the Practice of Virtues by Nikitas Stithatos:

If you aspire to the spuriousness of human praise as though it were something authentic, wallow in self- indulgence because of your soul's insatiability, and through your greed entwine yourself with avarice, you will either make yourself demonic through self-conceit and arrogance, or degenerate into inappropriate behavior with animals through the gratification of belly and genitals, or become savage to others because of your gross inhuman avarice. In this way your faith in God will lapse, as Christ said it would when you accept human praise (cf. John 5:44.); you will abandon self-restraint and purity because your lower organs are unsatedly kindled and succumb to unbridled appetence; and you will be shut out from love because you minister solely to yourself and do not succor your fellow beings when they are in need. Like some polymorphic monster compounded thus out of multifarious self-antagonistic parts, you will be the implacable enemy of God, man and the animals.​

Upvote 0

Wgw

Pray For Brussels!
May 24, 2015
✟15,107.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
St. Athanasius, in a letter, wrote:

These things then happened, and no one doubted, as the Arians now venture to doubt, whether one is to believe the incarnate Word; but even from beholding the man, they recognised that He was their maker, and when they heard a human voice, they did not, because it was human, say that the Word was a creature. On the contrary, they trembled, and recognised nothing less than that it was being uttered from a holy Temple. How then can the impious fail to fear lest 'as they refused to have God in their knowledge, they may be given up to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not fitting' (Rom. 1:28)? For Creation does not worship a creature. Nor again did she on account of His Flesh refuse to worship her Lord. But she beheld her maker in the Body, and 'in the Name of Jesus every knee' bowed, yea and 'shall bow, of things in heaven and things on earth and things under the earth, and every tongue shall confess,' whether the Arians approve or no, 'that Jesus is Lord, to the Glory of God the Father.' (Phil. 2:10-11)​

For the Flesh did not diminish the glory of the Word; far be the thought: on the contrary, it was glorified by Him. Nor, because the Son that was in the form of God took upon Him the form of a servant was He deprived of His Godhead. (Phil. 2:6-7) On the contrary, He is thus become the Deliverer of all flesh and of all creation. And if God sent His Son brought forth from a woman, the fact causes us no shame but contrariwise glory and great grace. For He has become Man, that He might deify us in Himself, and He has been born of a woman, and begotten of a Virgin, in order to transfer to Himself our erring generation, and that we may become henceforth a holy race, and 'partakers of the Divine Nature,' as blessed Peter wrote (2 Pet. 1:4). And 'what the law could not do in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh' (Rom. 8:3).​

Seeing then that Flesh was taken by the Word to deliver all men, raise all from the dead, and make redemption for sins, must not they appear ungrateful, and be worthy of all hatred, who make light of the Flesh, as well as those who on account of it charge the Son of God with being a thing created or made? For they as good as cry to God and say: 'Send not Thine Only-begotten Son in the Flesh, cause Him not to take flesh of a virgin, lest He redeem us from death and sin. We do not wish Him to come in the body, lest He should undergo death on our behalf: we do not desire the Word to be made flesh, lest in it He should become our Mediator to gain access to thee, and we so inhabit the heavenly mansions. Let the gates of the heavens be shut lest Thy Word consecrate for us the road thither through the veil, namely His Flesh' (cf Heb. 10:20) These are their utterances, vented with diabolical daring, by the error they have devised. For they who do not wish to worship the Word made flesh, are ungrateful for His becoming man. And they who divide the Word from the Flesh do not hold that one redemption from sin has taken place, or one destruction of death.​

Upvote 0

Aelred of Rievaulx

Nov 11, 2015
✟12,231.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
The Lord spoke to Aaron: 'Wine and intoxicating liquor you shall not drink, you and your sons with you, when you draw near the tent of the covenant or approach the alter' . . . Now our Lord and Saviour is called by Paul 'the high-priest of the blessings to come'. He himself is thus 'Aaron' and his 'sons' are the apostles . . . Let us see how we can apply this to our Lord Jesus Christ . . . and to his priests and sons, our apostles. We must first note that this true high-priest, pontifex, with his assistant priests, sacerdotes, before they 'approach the altar', do drink wine. However, when he begins to 'approach the altar' and enter the tent of the covenant, he abstains from wine . . . Before he sacrificed, during his time of the earthly econmoy, inter dispansationum moras, he drank wine. But when the moment of the cross drew nigh, and he was about to 'approach the altar' where he would offer the sacrifice of his flesh, 'he took', we read, 'the cup', blessed it, and gave it to his disciples, saying, 'Take this, all of you, and drink from it'. You, he says, may still drink, you who will not in a little while 'approach the altar'. But he, as one who now does 'approach the altar', said, 'Amen, I say to you, I will not drink from the fruit of this vine until I drink it with you in the Kingdom of my Father'.

If someone there is among you who draws near with purified hearing, let him understand an unspeakable mystery. What does it mean when he says, 'I will not drink . . .?' My savour grieves even now about my sins. My Saviour cannot rejoice as long as I remain in perversion. Why cannot he do this? Because he himself is 'an intercessor for our sins with the Father' . . . How can he, who is an intercessor for my sins, drink the 'wine' of joy, when I grieve him with my sins? How can he, who 'approaches the altar' in order to atone for me a sinner, be joyful when the sadness of sin rises up to him ceaselessly? 'With you', he says, 'I will drink in the Kingdom of my Father'. As long as we do not act in such a way that we can mount up to the Kingdom, he cannot drink alone that wine which he promised to drink with us . . . He who 'took our wounds upon himself' and suffered for our sakes as a healer of souls and bodies: should he regard no longer the festering of wounds? Thus it is that he waits until we should be converted, in order that we may follow in his footsteps and he rejoice 'with us' and 'drink wine with us in the Kingdom of his Father' . . . We are the ones who delay his joy by our negligence towards our own lives . . .

But let us not ignore the fact that it is said not only of Aaron that 'he drank no wine', but also of his sons when they approached the sanctuary. For the apostles too have not yet received their joy: they likewise are waiting for me to participate in their joy. So it is that the saints who depart from here do not immediately receive the full reward of their merits, but wait for us, even if we delay, even if we remain sluggish. They cannot know perfect joy as long as they grieve over our transgressions and weep for our sins. Perhaps you will not believe me on this point . . . but I will bring a witness whom you cannot doubt, the 'teacher of the nations' . . . the apostle Paul. In writing to the Hebrews, after enumerating all the holy fathers who were justified by faith, he adds, 'These, all of whom received the testimony of faith, did not attain the promise, because God had provided for something better for us, so that they should not be made perfect without us'. Do you see then? Abraham is still waiting to attain perfection. Isaac and Jacob and all the prophets are waiting for us in order to attain the perfect blessedness together with us. This is the reason why judgement is kept a secret, being postponed until the Last Day. It is 'one body' which is waiting for justification, 'one body' which rises for judgement. 'Though there are many members, yet there is only one body. The eye cannot say to the hand, I do not need you'. Even if the eye is sound and fit for seeing, if the other members were lacking, what would the joy of the eye be?

You will have joy when you depart from this life if you are a saint. But your joy will be complete only when no member of your body is lacking to you. or you too will wait, just as you are awaited. But if you, who are a member, do not have perfect joy as long as a member is missing, how much more must our Lord and Saviour, who is the head and origin of this body, consider it an incomplete joy if he is still lacking certain of his members? . . . Thus he does not want to receive his perfect glory without you: that means, not without his people which is 'his body' and 'his members'

Origen of Alexandria In Leviticum homiliae VII, 1-2.

Reactions: Wgw
Upvote 0

Aelred of Rievaulx

Nov 11, 2015
✟12,231.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
The word of Holy Scripture may well be limited and circumscribed as far as the letter is concerned and may come to an end with the times whose history it tells; yet as far as the spirit and the meaning found within it are concerned, it remains forever unlimited, uncircumscribed . . . For if the one who speaks [in it] is truly God, and God is in his essence uncircumscribable, the word that is spoken by him must also necessarily by beyond circumscription.

Maximus the Confessor Quaestiones ad Thalassium 50

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
One of my all-time favorites, one that I've posted in numerous threads, by Basil of Cesarea:

If we turn away from evil out of fear of punishment, we are in the position of slaves. If we pursue the enticement of wages, . . . we resemble mercenaries. Finally if we obey for the sake of the good itself and out of love for him who commands . . . we are in the position of children.

Upvote 0

Wordkeeper

Oct 1, 2013
✟91,080.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No; Theosis was well established by the fourth century.

Of course the West has a problem with deification, seeing partaking of the divine nature as not ontological, but rather as sharing God's moral qualities...

I've had many discussion with Arsenios on another forum on this and on "chrismation" and formed some views on why the doctrine surfaced. Pretty interesting...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Of course the West has a problem with deification, seeing partaking of the divine nature as not ontological, but rather as sharing God's moral qualities...

I've had many discussion with Arsenios on another forum on this and on "chrismation" and formed some views on why the doctrine surfaced. Pretty interesting...
The west? As with many other doctrines Roman Catholicism shares the teaching on deification with the east. Neither believes that man becomes God in essence, only that we share in or partake of His divinity by union with Him.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
If we do the will of Christ, we shall find rest; but if otherwise, then nothing shall deliver us from eternal punishment, if we should disobey his commandments... with what confidence shall we, if we keep not our baptism pure and undefiled, enter into the kingdom of God? Or who shall be our advocate, unless we be found having holy and righteous works?
-- St. Clement (Second Clement, A.D. 150)

Yes, tell me more about Sola Fide...

Upvote 0

Wgw

Pray For Brussels!
May 24, 2015
✟15,107.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
From Oration 38 of St. Gregory the Theologian:

God always was and is and will be, or rather always “is,” for “was” and “will be” belong to our divided time and transitory nature; but he is always “he who is,” and he gave himself this name when he consulted with Moses on the mountain. For holding everything together in himself, he possesses being, neither beginning nor ending. He is like a kind of boundless and limitless sea of being, surpassing all thought and time and nature. He is only sketched by the mind, and this in a very indistinct and mediocre way, not from things pertaining to himself but from things around him. Impressions are gathered from here and there into one particular representation of the truth, which flees before it is grasped and escapes before it is understood. It illumines the directive faculty in us, when indeed we have been purified, and its appearance is like a swift bolt of lightning that does not remain. It seems to me that insofar as it is graspable, the divine draws [us] toward itself, for what is completely ungraspable is unhoped for and unsought. Yet one wonders at the ungraspable, and one desires more intensely the object of wonder, and being desired it purifies, and purifying it makes deiform, and with those who have become such he converses as with those close to him,—I speak with vehement boldness—God is united with gods, and he is thus known, perhaps as much as he already knows those who are known to him. (38.7)​

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Be pleasing to him whose soldiers you are, and whose pay you receive. May none of you be found to be a deserter. Let your baptism be your armament, your faith your helmet, your love your spear, your endurance your full suit of armor. Let your works be as your deposited withholdings, so that you may receive the back-pay which has accrued to you.
- St. Ignatius AD 110

Here, perhaps, someone may ask: 'If the canon of the scriptures be perfect and in itself more than suffices for everything, why is it necessary that the authority of ecclesiastical interpretation be joined to it?' Because, quite plainly, sacred Scripture, by reason of its own depth, is not accepted by everyone as having one and the same meaning...

Thus, because of so many distortions of such various errors, it is highly necessary that the line of prophetic and apostolic interpretation be directed in accord with the norm of the ecclesiastical and Catholic meaning.
- Vincent of Lerins AD 434

Reactions: Root of Jesse
Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If we do the will of Christ, we shall find rest; but if otherwise, then nothing shall deliver us from eternal punishment, if we should disobey his commandments... with what confidence shall we, if we keep not our baptism pure and undefiled, enter into the kingdom of God? Or who shall be our advocate, unless we be found having holy and righteous works?
-- St. Clement (Second Clement, A.D. 150)

Yes, tell me more about Sola Fide...
OK.
Only faith produces holy and righteous works.

Reactions: Wordkeeper
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟312,889.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Be pleasing to him whose soldiers you are, and whose pay you receive. May none of you be found to be a deserter. Let your baptism be your armament, your faith your helmet, your love your spear, your endurance your full suit of armor. Let your works be as your deposited withholdings, so that you may receive the back-pay which has accrued to you.
- St. Ignatius AD 110

Here, perhaps, someone may ask: 'If the canon of the scriptures be perfect and in itself more than suffices for everything, why is it necessary that the authority of ecclesiastical interpretation be joined to it?' Because, quite plainly, sacred Scripture, by reason of its own depth, is not accepted by everyone as having one and the same meaning...

Thus, because of so many distortions of such various errors, it is highly necessary that the line of prophetic and apostolic interpretation be directed in accord with the norm of the ecclesiastical and Catholic meaning.
- Vincent of Lerins AD 434
That could only be true if the scripture itself was not clear on the subject, which is more than clear on God's thoughts toward this topic. I find those writings to be offtopic and misleading, as well as an interpretation of human wisdom not God's thoughts at all.
Ephesians 6:10-18
10 A final word: Be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. 11 Put on all of God’s armor so that you will be able to stand firm against all strategies of the devil. 12 For we[a] are not fighting against flesh-and-blood enemies, but against evil rulers and authorities of the unseen world, against mighty powers in this dark world, and against evil spirits in the heavenly places.

13 Therefore, put on every piece of God’s armor so you will be able to resist the enemy in the time of evil. Then after the battle you will still be standing firm. 14 Stand your ground, putting on the belt of truth and the body armor of God’s righteousness. 15 For shoes, put on the peace that comes from the Good News so that you will be fully prepared. 16 In addition to all of these, hold up the shield of faith to stop the fiery arrows of the devil. 17 Put on salvation as your helmet, and take the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.

18 Pray in the Spirit at all times and on every occasion. Stay alert and be persistent in your prayers for all believers everywhere.

2 Timothy 2:3
Endure suffering along with me, as a good soldier of Christ Jesus. 4 Soldiers don’t get tied up in the affairs of civilian life, for then they cannot please the officer who enlisted them. 5 And athletes cannot win the prize unless they follow the rules. 6 And hardworking farmers should be the first to enjoy the fruit of their labor. 7 Think about what I am saying. The Lord will help you understand all these things.

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
That could only be true if the scripture itself was not clear on the subject, which is more than clear on God's thoughts toward this topic. I find those writings to be offtopic and misleading, as well as an interpretation of human wisdom not God's thoughts at all.
Which topic??? Vincent's comments were general in nature; he didn't address specifics.

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟312,889.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The topic of the armour of God which your post erroneously quoted. Christians are given the sword of the word of God as their offensive weapon against the wiles of the devil. Why do you as a professing christian use a different sword to combat other professing Christians and attempt to disarm those Christians who are using the God-given sword of the word of God?

Reactions: Fireinfolding
Upvote 0

Fireinfolding

Dec 17, 2006
The South
✟121,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
2Cr 10:4 For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds)

Ephes 6:14 Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;

1Thes 1:58 But let us, who are of the day, be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love;

Ephes 6:17 And take the helmet of salvation,

1Thes 1:58... and for an helmet, the hope of salvation.

Ephes 6:17...and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:

Ephes 6:15 And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace;

Ephes 6:16 Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.

Upvote 0