Wine and beer

bill5

Jul 30, 2011
✟63,199.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
How can any upstanding Catholic forum not have a thread on this ;)

For those who like either, what are you prefs? I'm all over the map.....

And while not a snob for either (ugh that pretentiousness makes me ill), I don't drink utter swill either.

Wine I like all kinds, but tend to go reds in winter, whites in summer.

Beer similar...darker, heavier stuff in winter, lighter in the summer.

You?

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
For wines I'm not picky, dry and red and I'm happy.

I concur with MDoC's Zombie Dust recommendation. Heady Topper out of Vermont in likely my favorite beer, but I can often be found drinking a Dale's Pale Ale or any of a half dozen Tyranea or New Glarus brews.

Upvote 0

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟144,884.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
For wines I'm not picky, dry and red and I'm happy.

I concur with MDoC's Zombie Dust recommendation. Heady Topper out of Vermont in likely my favorite beer, but I can often be found drinking a Dale's Pale Ale or any of a half dozen Tyranea or New Glarus brews.

I'm surprised you get it there. They've stopped distributing to central IL. Now I have to go to Munster once in awhile, but it's been a long while this time around.

Upvote 0

bill5

Jul 30, 2011
✟63,199.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Red wine, Cabernet preferably. Craft beer, 3 Floyds is my favorite, especially Zombie Dust APA.
Never heard of, sounds local/regional?

I like the bolder reds from Spain and Italy
Yknow one thing about Spanish wine: few rank among my favs, but I've yet to have a bad one. They're so........what's the word........steady?

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
sauvignon blanc from Marlborough New Zealand can be very good, citrusy and crisp

there is a pink wine I like sometimes, it is called Vin Gris De Cigar from Bonny Dune vineyards, it is a Californian wine but it has a very old world taste to it, dry and mineral flavors

I have started to drink wines with a bit more body
old vine Zinfandel can be nice

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

look4hope

Love.Fellowship.Joy
Angels Team
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Dec 6, 2012
Somewhere in Jersey
✟382,922.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
sauvignon blanc from Marlborough New Zealand can be very good, citrusy and crisp

there is a pink wine I like sometimes, it is called Vin Gris De Cigar from Bonny Dune vineyards, it is a Californian wine but it has a very old world taste to it, dry and mineral flavors

I have started to drink wines with a bit more body
old vine Zinfandel can be nice

Pink wine :) it sounds lovely. I shall try that.
Mineral flavors? Very interesting

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟825,375.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I have a locally brewed porter on tap in my basement right now. Good winter beer.:)
images

Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'm surprised you get it there. They've stopped distributing to central IL. Now I have to go to Munster once in awhile, but it's been a long while this time around.

We don't, can't get Heady here either, I rely on VT friends to ship it. I get to Chicago periodically though, and from there it's just an extra little jaunt.

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
For wines: Carlo Rossi Sangria & Paisano. Barefoot Cabernet. Several varieties of local wine.

Beer: Sam Adams Ocktoberfest and Boston Lager. Lindenkugel Hefeweizen. Homebrew beer.

Stronger stuff: Jack Daniels. Svedka.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

sylverpiano

unworthy
Oct 14, 2010
✟53,702.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
For wines: Carlo Rossi Sangria & Paisano. Barefoot Cabernet. Several varieties of local wine.

Beer: Sam Adams Ocktoberfest and Boston Lager. Lindenkugel Hefeweizen. Homebrew beer.

Stronger stuff: Jack Daniels. Svedka.

For the stronger stuff, I am a Jameson's Girl. Mostly neat, but occasionally over an ice cube.

Upvote 0

billvelek

Sep 16, 2014
Arkansas
✟8,154.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
edit: sorry I thought you just said "lager." I like Yuengling's Black n Tan sometimes - good bang/buck kinda thing. I bounce around a lot on brands though. Lately into Blue Moon.....(Bold emphasis mine.)

How do they manage that?? A kit with two different bottles??

As for Yuengling, that's a favorite of my son Mike, and anytime we'd go up to visit my family in Philadelphia, we'd always bring some Yuengling home for him.

As for me, I like most beers, with Sam Adam's Boston Lager probably the one I get most often. But I'm more fond of ales than lagers, and I particularly like IPAs (Indian Pale Ale), ESBs (Extra Strong Bitters), Porters and Stouts, although pale ales and a few others are good. Not particularly fond of Scottish Ales (never brewed one, so it was probably just the brands I tried), and I don't care for wheats either (probably for the same reason, although I have used baking flour a few times in some batches (insanely active fermentations). Started homebrewing about 20+ years ago which included a couple of years of bulk-extract brewing (using separate hops with unhopped extract from 5-gallon buckets, instead of 'kits'); but most of my time had been all-grain, usually doing two different successive batches (partygyle). I actually did a triple partigyle ONCE with a single kettle, and never again; it was extremely exhausting. I bottled most of those years but finally started kegging, and also growing some of my own hops. I slowed down and temporarily quit about two-three years ago until my son Mike convinced me to start back up to teach him the tricks of the trade. We brewed a nice Christmas seasonal, and then he moved up to North Dakota. Not sure I want to resume by myself; I have all the time in the world since I'm retired, but it's hard work and I'm not getting any younger. Maybe I'll give it a go. I'd like to try a peanut butter beer; Mike and I bought some from the liquor store a few months ago and it was pretty good. Never crossed a pizza beer off my list either. My old standby is my oatmeal stout, but I've also brewed some 'different' beers: a chocolate-cherry stout (had a real choc-cherry flavor in the background), a jalapeno ale (bottled with a tincture I made and added for the perfect heat), a honey-basil (didn't care for that one), and my pumpkin ales which were always Mike's favorites.

Your brother in Christ,

Bill Velek

Upvote 0

epiclesis

Legend
Sep 29, 2003
Oregon
✟52,647.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I only like sweet wines, so usually drink a Moscato.

I typically hate beer. With the right food, I have a desire to drink a beer. We usually keep Blue Moon around, since the husband much prefers unfiltered and would drink a Blue Moon over a Hefeweizen.

The best beer I've ever had was a Konig Ludwig Dunkel in Germany. Apparently it can't be imported in, but it was GOOOOOOOOOOD. I hate the bitter aftertaste of beer, and this was the first beer that didn't leave that taste.

Upvote 0