Will this ever happen to the Swiss Guard too?

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cairaiii

The identity of the Tower of London's first female Beefeater has been revealed.
Moira Cameron, 38, is said to be "ecstatic" about becoming the first female Yeoman Warder to join the ranks in the guard's 522-year history at the royal fortress.
A friend told Britain's The Sun newspaper: "She loves all the royal history and the culture that the tower represents. But her primary motive in applying for the job was that she wanted to make history. That's the kind of girl she is."
To become a Warder you must have served 22 years in the Armed Forces, and Moira - who beat five male candidates to land the £24,000-a-year job - joined the Army at 16 before going on to become a NCO (non-commissioned officer) with the Adjutant General's Corps in Aldershot, Hampshire.
However, Moira's appointment has reportedly not been well received by some of the 35 male Beefeaters that she will be joining in September.
One member of staff said: "They take the view we should maintain tradition and not make history.
"She sounds a great girl but it is going to feel distinctly off having a woman amongst us."
Warders - nicknamed Beefeaters because of the rations of meat they received - were set up as a group of bodyguards by King Henry VIII in 1485, when the fortress also served as a prison, but now their main role is to act as guides for the many tourists.

from http://people.monstersandcritics.com/royalwatch/news/article_1239662.php/Beefeater_named

They have been guarding the Tower for even longer than the Swiss Guard has been guarding the Pope.

I'm not a sexist, but I hate to see traditions like this die to modernism. I doubt the Pope's famous guards will ever be female though.

DedicatedLittleFaith

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2006
Quebec,Canada
Visit site
✟28,906.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I have no problem with a female beefeater, there is nothing in their requirements that prevents it. Until recently there just were no women who had served that long...

Excellent point.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.