Will there be a ‘mass exodus’ of religious groups from the Scouts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sayen

Cranky Old Man
Oct 16, 2011
✟8,075.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would expect the same mass exodus from the scouts as we saw in the military after DADT was repealed.....um....right...about that mass exodus...

I have news for everyone not a teenager: The current generation doesn't care. First, there are already gay scouts (and atheists!), and have been from the start, without mass camp rape parties. Second, the current generation of teens already has group mixed sex and mixed orientation sleepovers, parties, and even camping trips...without the wild orgies everyone seems to assume will take place. Most of the teens I know couldn't care less if their friends are gay, and hanging out with gay people doesn't suddenly make the non-gays gay. There's a lot of hyperbole and excitement over something that will cause very little change.

I'm not aware of any troop that actually enforces or could enforce a chastity rule for heterosexuals. I'm sure someone can find some extreme example, but I wouldn't go throwing chastity around as an argument point either. Religious troops will stay religious, and the average gay scout likely won't want to join them anyhow. More secular and tolerant troops will attract gay scouts. And no one will really care in a few years.

Upvote 0

Prayer Circle

Feb 4, 2012
OK, Why am I in this handbasket?
✟1,539.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
NY Times - Op-Ed Contributor

Rainbow Merit Badge

By BROOKE ALLEN

Published: July 19, 2012

[FONT=Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-serif]
Gay & Lesbian Community
Queering the Scouts
By Michael Bronski[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-serif](Sic)"...But these implications (as well as the Court decision) are overshadowed by a basic irony: Lord Robert Baden-Powell, the founder of the Scouts, was a homosexual and a pedophile. Tom Jeal's The Boy-Man, a 1990 biography, details Baden-Powell's attraction to, and likely affairs with, teenage boys, as well as his fondness for nude boy photos and requirements that Scouts in his care should bathe outside naked. Today Baden-Powell would have made the top ten on a Sex Offenders Registry list. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-serif]But Baden-Powell's homosexuality is a superficial irony compared to the fact that despite what the New Jersey Supreme Court declares, the Boy Scouts of America are essentially correct: homosexuality is completely incompatible with the history, meaning, and intent of Scouting as it has been understood until now. How could it be otherwise? As conceived of and organized by Lord Baden-Powell in 1907, Scouting's mission was to make boys moral, patriotic, and healthy. Beneath the more benign rhetoric exhorting Scouts to "help others," "tell the truth," and "be kind to animals," Baden-Powell's Scouting principles focused on obedience to authority, doing your "duty to God and Country," and "being pure in thought, word, and deed." Scouting — which Baden-Powell referred to as a "character factory" — was a regiment to inculcate a deeply conservative, secular Christianity that espoused a defensive nationalism, racial intolerance, and sexual prohibitions. Scouting would turn out real men who would maintain the status-quo, and not challenge prevailing social standards. When World War I erupted Scouting was seen as the breeding ground of good soldiers. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-serif]As World War II began Baden-Powell's repulsive political and racial attitudes, which inform the history of Scouting but are clearly separate from it as well, became even more evident. In 1937 Baden-Powell was eager for the scouting movement to establish official ties with Hitler youth groups. In 1939 he noted in his diary: "Lay up all day. Read Mein Kampf. A wonderful book, with good ideas on education, health, propaganda, organization etc. — and ideals which Hitler does not practice himself." [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-serif]While the Boy Scouts today are certainly not a neo-Nazi group, nor as paramilitary as they were in the past, many of Baden-Powell's original ideas still remain — especially those that inform how "real men" are made in the character factory. The Scout's "duty to God" is defined, even now, by the most narrow of moralities. (Although in California it is determinate to BSA membership.) The injunction to be "pure in thought, word, and deed" reflected its founders repressive views of sexuality (including an obsession with stopping masturbation among Scouts) and allowed only reproductive heterosexual intercourse within marriage. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-serif]Such views are still at the heart of the BSA's stand against homosexuality."

(Sic)"...[/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-serif]Baden-Powell's character factory — with its corrupt notion of what it means to be moral, truthful, and honest — is in the too-slow process of finally shutting down; it is a process that has been going on for years. The BSA's demand to continue to define "real men" is a last ditch effort to hold on to and promote outdated, ugly values. In years to come it will seem — like Baden-Powell's attraction to Hitler Youth and Mein Kampf — simply repulsive."
[/FONT]

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,440,830.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If the scouts can't even teach a 17 year old boy (regardless of orientation) to control himself, then the scouts as a whole are a colossal failure.

That's what this entire situation boils down to.

That criterion would make Christianity a total failure. Are you sure you want to say that?

Upvote 0

Marius27

Feb 16, 2013
✟6,009.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Democrat
Why are Christians getting involved in Scouts to begin with? Scouts were started by Baden Powell who was a homosexual and pedophile. He would get together with his buddies and ogle nude photos of kids. Look at the name "Boy Scouts". Pedophiles giggle over that one. A certain gay music artist dresses up like a scout for his concerts. Go figure.

Not to mention the connection between scouts and freemasonry, but lots of blind CINOs (Christians in name only) are masons too.

The sodomites have always been all around the church and even in it and leaders in it. Christians are blinded by lies and deceit. Their senses for detecting evil are dulled or never developed. Or, as is usually the case, they are not really Christians at all.

Truth bites.
There was no truth in this post. A sodomite is not a gay person, it's a shrine prostitute. Read Deuteronomy in the KJV. I find your post extremely offensive.

Upvote 0

I Eat Pie

Sep 22, 2012
City of Angels.
✟4,228.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
And those 70% also want nothing to do with Christians? That's funny, because it's this majority Christian country that sends them billions a year, and a mandate from a majority Christian country that split Palestine for them.

Upvote 0

Marius27

Feb 16, 2013
✟6,009.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Democrat
And those 70% also want nothing to do with Christians? That's funny, because it's this majority Christian country that sends them billions a year, and a mandate from a majority Christian country that split Palestine for them.
Jews often have a skeptical view of Christians because of their attempts to convert them. The United States is a secular country. I'm not sure Israel views it as money coming from Christians. And incase you aren't aware, the United States has the 2nd largest Jewish population in the world.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

I Eat Pie

Sep 22, 2012
City of Angels.
✟4,228.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
So? You can't know what all those people are thinking without asking them. Just because they live in their own tight neighborhoods(west hollywood over here), doesn't mean they try to segregate themselves from everyone. There's lots of tight groups here that stick with their own, but in the end, we get along. And christians try to convert everyone. It's not exclusive to jews.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
That criterion would make Christianity a total failure. Are you sure you want to say that?

If that is the case -- If you have a set of moral principles, and its own adherents don't... well, adhere to them, what else can you call it but a failure?

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,440,830.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If that is the case -- If you have a set of moral principles, and its own adherents don't... well, adhere to them, what else can you call it but a failure?

So you, who profess to being a Christian, are calling Christianity a failure?

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,440,830.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So? You can't know what all those people are thinking without asking them. Just because they live in their own tight neighborhoods(west hollywood over here), doesn't mean they try to segregate themselves from everyone. There's lots of tight groups here that stick with their own, but in the end, we get along. And christians try to convert everyone. It's not exclusive to jews.

You seem to have suggested that Jews would join the same Scout troops as Christians with their religion as the reason.

That would not happen. Jews might join a scout troop with Christians if the troop maintained a careful non-religious tone. But if the troop practiced any measure of overt Christian "religiosity," no observant Jew is going to join it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Prayer Circle

Feb 4, 2012
✟1,539.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Lots, since Reform Judaism is pro-gay and it's the largest division of Judaism in North America.
Well, if they're sexually active, then their acts are an abomination and they're damned.
Pro-Gay isn't pro-God.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Sorry, I misread your icons.

"Oh, that's very different. Never mind."

Actually, you raise an interesting point: Why should it matter if I was a Christian or not?

If Christianity espouses a set of moral principles which nobody follows, wouldn't it be a failure?

And why would a Christian not acknowledge this, if it were the truth?

Upvote 0

Prayer Circle

Feb 4, 2012
✟1,539.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I would expect the same mass exodus from the scouts as we saw in the military after DADT was repealed.....um....right...about that mass exodus...
It's easier to leave the Scouts than it is the military.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
It's easier to leave the Scouts than it is the military.

Indeed -- your parents can't yank you out of the military against your will, either.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.