Will God admit people who are religious but racist into heaven?

LovebirdsFlying

My husband drew this cartoon of me.
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟840,875.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Your church must be a lovely place.

Luke 7:35

New King James Version (NKJV)

35 But wisdom is justified by all her children.”

What's the supposed to mean?

And please - this goes for all people - spare me your righteousness. I'm human and as such I automatically gather first impressions.

Clothing and body language say a lot. I wear Wrangler jeans, tshirts, plad shirts, camo jackets and hats, boots. And guess what? People would assume I'm a country boy, and they'd be 100% correct.

I can't officially issue a Mod Hat here, because I'm involved in the thread. However, in an unofficial capacity, I want to say: Please, let's not start getting personal here. Let's talk about ideas, not each other. Thank you.

Upvote 0

LovebirdsFlying

Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟840,875.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
hahahaaaaaa

And the strongest thing I thought was, "Oh, those poor fish," when the glass shoe broke. LOL at "Maybe it's his dinner."

Upvote 0

Lion King

Veni, vidi, vici
Mar 29, 2011
Heavenly Jerusalem- Mount Zion
✟10,388.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
This is true. I do not disagree with you, sir. What I don't understand is why some people dress for attention, and then complain about the attention they get. No, someone in baggy clothes is not automatically out to rob and rape. But if I am not mistaken, for some reason they want people to think they might, and that's why they choose to wear the baggy clothes.

Really now? Do you believe all people wear baggy clothing because they want people to think they are rapists and thieves?

Similarly, in prison, the inmates are not issued belts and the clothes are sometimes ill-fitting. People who dress in baggy clothes, if I'm not mistaken, are copying that look. They want to make themselves look like they've been in prison, because they think having done time makes a person cool and respectable on the streets.

Well, that's one "theory" out there. Some say the style came about because black folks were too poor to afford even basic necessities and as a result siblings had to share clothes. Over time, baggy clothing became fashionable among the black community.

Who knows.

And if I am mistaken, please tell me the purpose for dressing that way, if "back off, I'm dangerous" is not precisely the message they are trying to send.

Some people feel more comfortable in baggy clothing due to weight problems.
Some like to dress in that way because their friends, relatives, parents etc dress that way (fashion followers).
Some like to wear wear baggy clothing just because they can.
Some like to wear baggy clothing because they want to be seen as thugs.

etc.

There is really no need to paint everyone with the same brush.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Upvote 0

MJohn7

Dec 23, 2013
✟2,647.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I can't officially issue a Mod Hat here, because I'm involved in the thread. However, in an unofficial capacity, I want to say: Please, let's not start getting personal here. Let's talk about ideas, not each other. Thank you.

My idea was to be careful how we represent the Church. I could have said it differently, i agree.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
What does your mod hat look like :)

Upvote 0

LovebirdsFlying

Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟840,875.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Over time, baggy clothing became fashionable among the black community.

Who knows.

Some people feel more comfortable in baggy clothing due to weight problems.
Some like to dress in that way because their friends, relatives, parents etc dress that way (fashion followers).
Some like to wear wear baggy clothing just because they can.
Some like to wear baggy clothing because they want to be seen as thugs.

etc.

There is really no need to paint everyone with the same brush.

Last part understood. First part: Is it only the black community? I'm a peppermint candy (part Native American, part white) but I also grew up poor. Not inner city so much as rural Appalachia. Much of the "make do with nothing" principle is the same. I remember wearing clothes that were too big for me so I could "grow into" them. I was the oldest in the family, but my hand-me-downs came from neighbors or adult relatives.

Upvote 0

LovebirdsFlying

Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟840,875.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What does your mod hat look like :)

It's my daughter when she was two years old. Staff have unofficially declared it the cutest Mod Hat. :)

Elizabethinhatcroppedcloser.jpg

MOD HAT ON

This is not actually a Mod Hat post.

MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0

Lion King

Veni, vidi, vici
Mar 29, 2011
✟10,388.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Where did I say He *will* do anything? If that was understood, it wasn't the message I intended to send. I don't know what God *will* do. But in guessing, I say I think He takes ignorance into consideration.

That is true.

However, even those who do bad things out of ignorance are still punished.

“The servant who knows the master’s will and does not get ready or does not do what the master wants will be beaten with many blows. 48 But the one who does not know and does things deserving punishment will be beaten with few blows. From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked. Luke 12:47-48

Upvote 0

Lion King

Veni, vidi, vici
Mar 29, 2011
✟10,388.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Last part understood. First part: Is it only the black community? I'm a peppermint candy (part Native American, part white) but I also grew up poor. Not inner city so much as rural Appalachia. Much of the "make do with nothing" principle is the same. I remember wearing clothes that were too big for me so I could "grow into" them. I was the oldest in the family, but my hand-me-downs came from neighbors or adult relatives.

I'm not too sure about that one, but I do know poverty was (and still is) more prevalent among black people.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LovebirdsFlying

Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟840,875.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That is true.

However, even those who do bad things out of ignorance are still punished.

“The servant who knows the master’s will and does not get ready or does not do what the master wants will be beaten with many blows. 48 But the one who does not know and does things deserving punishment will be beaten with few blows. From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked. Luke 12:47-48

I think we can agree here. Correction is the important thing, as opposed to revenge.

I'm not too sure about that one, but I do know poverty was (and still is) more prevalent among black people.

In terms of ratio, comparing those in dire poverty to the percentage of the total population, I think that's true. There is also a mindset that goes along with being very poor. I've been discussing that in another thread. It isn't unknown to me at all. I remember things like, my grandmother saw where I threw my umbrella away after it blew to pieces in a strong wind, and she fished it out of the trash can. The next day I found it in my room, patched together with unsightly black electrical tape, like I was really going to carry that thing to school. Why spend money to replace the umbrella when you can make the old one work somehow, even if it is incredibly ugly? Similarly, to her, it doesn't matter if your coat doesn't quite fasten in the front, or your socks don't match. You should be thankful you're not freezing to death, instead of worrying that you look funny. Insisting on buying a coat that fits, or new socks that match, to her was a sinful, prideful, waste of money.

Come to think of it, mismatched socks did become a fashion statement there for a while, in the 1980's. :)

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,198.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Still it would be wise IMO to judge people by their actions and not their outward appearance. Judge by the fruit they produce...

Clothing choice is an action, it is a display of fruit. Why do you think scripture speaks of clothing choice at all?

Now, if a person was poor and had do purchase clothing at Goodwill, it would be wrong to judge him by the fact that his clothing is old. However, even at Goodwill, one can choose to be modest or immodest.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,198.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, that's one "theory" out there. Some say the style came about because black folks were too poor to afford even basic necessities and as a result siblings had to share clothes. Over time, baggy clothing became fashionable among the black community.

Who knows.

We do know, we know precisely. The current baggy, saggy style derives from prison wear, specifically the prohibition against belts, thus trousers sag down the hips.

Older blacks are trying to teach younger blacks that the style does not have respectable roots, but it's difficult to fight the world from the viewpoint of the world. The point is: The black community very well knows what the "gangsta" style simulates and blacks who are Christian are preaching to their young people against it.

It would help if liberal whites got on board that bus.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,198.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Back in the late '60s and '70's, the black pimps had a rather unique dress code.

Thank God that is past!

And in the 70s, black people who did not want to look like pimps did not dress that way, and counseled their kids not to dress that way. You did not see black people going to church, for instance, dressed like pimps.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Lion King

Veni, vidi, vici
Mar 29, 2011
✟10,388.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Clothing choice is an action, it is a display of fruit. Why do you think scripture speaks of clothing choice at all?

Now, if a person was poor and had do purchase clothing at Goodwill, it would be wrong to judge him by the fact that his clothing is old. However, even at Goodwill, one can choose to be modest or immodest.

Stop judging by mere appearances, but instead judge correctly. John 7:24

Stop.

Dressing in baggy clothing is NOT a sin. Period.

Upvote 0

Lion King

Veni, vidi, vici
Mar 29, 2011
✟10,388.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
We do know, we know precisely. The current baggy, saggy style derives from prison wear, specifically the prohibition against belts, thus trousers sag down the hips.

Older blacks are trying to teach younger blacks that the style does not have respectable roots, but it's difficult to fight the world from the viewpoint of the world. The point is: The black community very well knows what the "gangsta" style simulates and blacks who are Christian are preaching to their young people against it.

It would help if liberal whites got on board that bus.

Can you provide reliable sources for this?

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,198.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Stop judging by mere appearances, but instead judge correctly. John 7:24

Stop.

Dressing in baggy clothing is NOT a sin. Period.

I did not say it was a sin. I said it was a choice, and as such, a display of fruit.

Do you imagine that you're doing black people any good? Do you imagine that if you walked up to a poor black Christian and said, "I understand your children have to dress gansta because you're poor" that he'd thank you?

Have you ever been to a predominantly black church service? If you have, was everyone there dressed in baggy clothes?

No, they were not. Stop inventing excuses for black people that black people do not want.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,198.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Can you provide reliable sources for this?

Call a few of your local black pastors and ask them what they think about the style.

Or just check snopes.com:
Origins: Sagging, the fashion of wearing pants with their waistbands around the hips (or lower) rather than snugged to the Kriss Kross midriff, has been and continues to be a controversial style of dress. Although this sartorial fad is overwhelmingly favored by young males, it is not limited to them — young women have at times likewise indulged in the urge to sag.

The practice, which did begin in prisons, worked its way from the hoosegow into hip hop culture. It was adopted by a variety of rap artists, such as Ice-T and Too Short, which enhanced its perceived tough-guy cachet. Sagging can even be taken a step further by wearing the droopy breeches backwards. (Totally Krossed Out, the 1992 debut album of Kriss Kross, shows the pair of 13-year-old rappers doing this.) By 1995 the style had seeped into mainstream teen culture — one no longer needed to be a wannabe "gangsta" to sling 'em low.

Pants worn this way are kept up by constant hitching, an act that becomes an integral part of the walking style of the wearer.
Read more at snopes.com: Sagging Pants

Upvote 0