Catholic
Dec 26, 2003
Louisiana
✟14,078.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Others
Why is it that homosexuals may not become priests? Everyone sins. If all sinners are to b barred from the priesthood, then there will be no priests, except the Highest Priest, Our Lord Jesus Christ! I used to think about being a priest, but, being bisexual, I don't know if I would even be able to!

Mysterium_Fidei

Romanist
May 15, 2005
The Diocese of Charlotte
✟9,936.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I don't care if you're straight, gay, bi, or anything. You're called to chastity. Everyone is. This isn't directed at you, either, but everyone.

Yeah, people sin. That doesn't mean we're not called be a holy people. No priest, no matter what his inclination, is allowed to live an unchaste life. And no Christian, for that matter.

Upvote 0

CeeBee

Catholic
Dec 26, 2003
Louisiana
✟14,078.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Others
OnTheWay: *sniffsniff* So I wouldn't be a good shepherd? If that is the case, then I mean people that struggle with any mortal sin should be excluded. All people who struggle with substance abuse, or cursing, or smoking, or over-indulgence of food or alcohol, or lying, or anything else, should be excluded, cuz that prevents them from being a shepherd. (and im sorry if all of those arent mortal sins)

Upvote 0

poppinskw

Senior Contributor
Apr 17, 2005
✟20,994.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I may be wrong in this, and I am sure someone will come up with the right answer if I am ;)

But I thought if a man considered himself homosexual, but lived a celibate lifestyle and had been for some years, and was commited to staying celibate then he could be ordained as a priest. But a homosexual man that was unstable in morality then he would not be accepted as a priest.

Upvote 0

FullyMT

Veni Sancte Spiritus
Nov 14, 2003
Boston
Visit site
✟8,053.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
The Church allows people with homosexual orientations to become priests, so long as they act (basically) just like every other priest (chaste, etc). They should probably keep their orientation to themselves and a few close friends, so as not to cause some sort of scandal (I can only imagine how quickly someone would make an accusation :( )

Upvote 0

Psalms91

Jan 18, 2006
✟331.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Republican
I may be wrong in this, and I am sure someone will come up with the right answer if I am ;)

But I thought if a man considered himself homosexual, but lived a celibate lifestyle and had been for some years, and was commited to staying celibate then he could be ordained as a priest. But a homosexual man that was unstable in morality then he would not be accepted as a priest.

that is my understanding as well.

Upvote 0

redMountian

They'll know we are Christian by our love.
Jan 17, 2006
E-town
✟1,775.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
It seems that the Vatican's big issue with gay priests is that they'd condone or even participate in the "gay lifestyle". I think the latest vatican document says that if a man has been celibate and not involved in that way of life for 2 years previous, he may enter seminary and become a priest. So, as long as you abide by Church teachings on homosexuality, you can become a priest.

Upvote 0

fragmentsofdreams

Critical loyalist
Apr 18, 2002
CA
Visit site
✟28,828.00
Faith
Catholic

It depends on how the local bishop interprets the document released last December. Some interpret it as a strict ban on anyone with sexual attraction for men while others interpret it as a ban on those who will have problems with celibacy.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

fragmentsofdreams

Critical loyalist
Apr 18, 2002
CA
Visit site
✟28,828.00
Faith
Catholic
I believe the issue is that when one is in such a disordered state it is difficult to be an effective shepard for a flock.

I don't see why being a pastor would be particularly difficult for a celibate homosexual man other than the possible negative response from some parishioners if they find out.

Upvote 0

fragmentsofdreams

Critical loyalist
Apr 18, 2002
CA
Visit site
✟28,828.00
Faith
Catholic
It seems that the Vatican's big issue with gay priests is that they'd condone or even participate in the "gay lifestyle". I think the latest vatican document says that if a man has been celibate and not involved in that way of life for 2 years previous, he may enter seminary and become a priest. So, as long as you abide by Church teachings on homosexuality, you can become a priest.

I read the recent document a little differently than most here, but it uses some phrases whose meaning is ambiguous.

Upvote 0

CeeBee

Catholic
Dec 26, 2003
Louisiana
✟14,078.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Others
Ohhhh ok. I thought even celibate homosexuals who would stay chaste were banned. Ok, this whole thread shouldn't have been created, it was just a misunderstanding. Now my gay Catholic friend and myself can stop arguing (he's much more liberal and when the Church is brought up he launches this in a negative way of course).

Upvote 0

Miss Shelby

Legend
Feb 10, 2002
✟88,282.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
It depends on how the local bishop interprets the document released last December. Some interpret it as a strict ban on anyone with sexual attraction for men while others interpret it as a ban on those who will have problems with celibacy.

Is there a correct/incorrect way to interpret the document? I am not asking to be antagonizing, it's a sincere question. It shouldn't be open to interpretation should it? Either it means one thing or it doesn't, but it shouldn't say one thing and mean another. How do things like this get clarified? If some of the wording is ambiguous, shouldn't the bishops ask for clarification rather than taking it as license for wiggle room or no wiggle room?

If one bishop says one thing and another bishop says something else, how can they both be right?

Upvote 0

fragmentsofdreams

Critical loyalist
Apr 18, 2002
CA
Visit site
✟28,828.00
Faith
Catholic
Is there a correct/incorrect way to interpret the document? I am not asking to be antagonizing, it's a sincere question. It shouldn't be open to interpretation should it? Either it means one thing or it doesn't, but it shouldn't say one thing and mean another. How do things like this get clarified? If some of the wording is ambiguous, shouldn't the bishops ask for clarification rather than taking it as license for wiggle room or no wiggle room?

If one bishop says one thing and another bishop says something else, how can they both be right?

The Vatican may have intended for there to be some ambiguity. It certainly could have chosen language that was clearer. It would probably have been better for them to not have released it in its current form, considering the amount of confusion it has caused.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

QuantaCura

Rejoice always.
Aug 17, 2005
✟21,762.00
Faith
Catholic
Around the turn of the millenium (1000s) there was a similar problem with sodomizing priests. St. Peter Damian wrote to the pope and wanted all such priests to be banned, but Pope St. Leo IX allowed them to become or remain priests if they had demonstrated for a period of time that they could be chaste and they had properly repented and atoned for their sins. That policy worked then and is basically the same policy that has been adopted again now.

Upvote 0

Cosmic Charlie

The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated
Oct 14, 2003
✟67,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I believe the issue is that when one is in such a disordered state it is difficult to be an effective shepard for a flock.

Unfortunately that describes about half the priests I've met.

Upvote 0

fragmentsofdreams

Critical loyalist
Apr 18, 2002
CA
Visit site
✟28,828.00
Faith
Catholic
Hmmm, so actually some bishops could ban celibate/chaste homosexuals if they interpret it that way? That sux...

Bishops have a lot of freedom in determining who to ordain. Some bishops barred chaste, celibate homosexuals before the document came out.

I wonder wut the bishop of the archdiocese of New Orleans says. Hmmm. I THINK that's my archdiocese. Is Baton Rouge an archdiocese? Cuz I don't know...

Baton Rouge is a dicocese.

I don't think the metropolitan bishop has any control of seminary policies outside his own diocese.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.