Your dreams.
✟30,570.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Why vapid and nuts? Because we prefer our men to be male in a way that few east Asian males are? That doesn't make us nuts, just the product of anglo-celtic/norse heritage, or whatever. We're conditioned for Vikings and African warriors, sorry.

I was veering off topic there.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,162,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I hate to expose my own girlie prejudices, but this is very true. Japanese men are significantly more 'sexy' than other east Asian males. The Japanese eccentricity simmering just under the surface lends them considerable appeal. There's unpredictability and a whiff of danger. There's poetry in the Japanese soul.

Yeah, movies like "Unbroken" should be embraced by Asian Americans.

It's not like other Asian countries haven't been cruel too, lol.

Just make an "Unbroken" movie for us guys too lol, one that features sadistic Japanese women guards.

Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Things won't start to change unless you give people the roles, else Bruce Willis is still doing Moonlighting and Will Smith will be telling us about how he became a prince of a town called Bel-Air. This is one of those chicken/egg scenarios. If you don't hire people for the roles, they can't prove their worth. Nonetheless, the myth that minorities don't bring in box office dollar is slowly becoming history.
People won't be hired if they aren't the people that audiences want to see, directors want to cast, and scripts call for.

Upvote 0

nightflight

Veteran
Mar 13, 2006
Your dreams.
✟30,570.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yeah, movies like "Unbroken" should be embraced by Asian Americans.

Just make an "Unbroken" movie for us guys too lol, one that features sadistic Japanese women guards.

Like a remake of "Nightmare in Badham County", call it "Nightmare in Okayama Prefecture"

Reactions: MehGuy
Upvote 0

Uncle Siggy

Promulgator of Annoying Tidbits of Information
Dec 4, 2015
Ohio
✟61,528.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
If there is a moral obligation to hire Asian people to play Asian roles, then there is a moral obligation to hire Asian people to cook Asian food.

Isn't this about the 3rd/4th thread in the last 6 weeks on the same subject??? Guess the political ideologues think we haven't been persuaded yet that this is a really big issue, when it really isn't (political noise). And the funniest/best part is the people they are complaining about (that run Hollyweird) are of the "SAME" political ideology as them, go figure...

Reactions: Chesterton
Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,205,159.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
But now you're attempting to make this a supply thing, there are now not enough Asian Americans because fewer go into acting.

I'm not shifting the goalposts or "just now started attempting to make this about fewer Asians going into acting", it was one of the original things I mentioned when I jumped into this thread.

What students study for absolutely plays a factor in which vocation they'll end up pursuing and landing a job in... It's no coincidence that 66% of Asian students go to school for Science & Engineering...and that those two career fields have a very high concentration of Asian people working in them.

If you looked at the stats I posted from the census bureau, in terms of what people are majoring in, the White arts students outnumber the Asian arts students by nearly 16:1.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic

Its good to know the whole world isn't as vapid and nuts as is the West.
You're asking the wrong population, the opinions in this video require proper context. Asians in Asia live in a society where they do not have a lack of access and the people on television or in the movies reflect their society. This story is about Asian Americans, it seems people are ignoring this very important point. The questions asked in that video should be posed to Americans of Asian descent. The funny thing is the continual focus on Asia while ignoring the factor that we're talking about Asian Americans. Asian Americans are American, we're talking about America. This is right up there with asking an Asian person, "Where are you from?" And if they were to Oklahoma or North Carolina, the followup question, "But where are you really from?"

Why vapid and nuts? Because we prefer our men to be male in a way that few east Asian males are? That doesn't make us nuts, just the product of anglo-celtic/norse heritage, or whatever. We're conditioned for Vikings and African warriors, sorry.
That's unfortunate, the argument you're advancing is that Asian Americans aren't American because Americans are only of European and African descent? I think African Americans would have a different opinion when it comes to whether there is a preference for them on-screen.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
I'm not shifting the goalposts or "just now started attempting to make this about fewer Asians going into acting", it was one of the original things I mentioned when I jumped into this thread.

What students study for absolutely plays a factor in which vocation they'll end up pursuing and landing a job in... It's no coincidence that 66% of Asian students go to school for Science & Engineering...and that those two career fields have a very high concentration of Asian people working in them.

If you looked at the stats I posted from the census bureau, in terms of what people are majoring in, the White arts students outnumber the Asian arts students by nearly 16:1.
No one is advancing the argument that they are unable to find talent to fill these roles, not even Hollywood. For instance, the argument for casting a non-Asian character as the "Ancient One" in Doctor Strange was not based on availability, it was sociopolitical. The argument for casting Asian characters as non-Asians has also been argues as financial, not based on supply. I understand the argument you're making, but that's not the problem; there is not an issue with finding Asian, Latino or Black actors, they're not casting them. If only Asian actors were underrepresented, you argument might have legs, but the lack of representation is present in other groups.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,205,159.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I understand the argument you're making, but that's not the problem; there is not an issue with finding Asian, Latino or Black actors, they're not casting them.

I'm not claiming they're having an issue finding them if they wanted to use them, I'm claiming that there aren't as many actively pursuing acting roles as there are from other groups.

In terms of Black Actors, I know this conversation came up a couple months ago because of the Oscars, but in terms of acting work, there are plenty of well-paid, well-utilized black actors.

Samuel L Jackson
Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson
Will Smith
Kevin Hart
Denzel
Morgan Freeman
Jamie Foxx
Terrance Howard

...just to name a few

Now, in terms of Black Females, there might be a discussion to be had about being vastly underrepresented...however, that conversation could be had about females in the business in general. (part of which could be attributed to 2 entire genres being better suited for male roles)

In terms of making the choice to use an Asian actor or not, is it a producer/casting director's job to evenly distribute roles based on the demographic make-up of the country?...or to cast people who fit the vision of the person who made the movie?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jimmy D

Dec 11, 2014
✟268,799.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
In terms of making the choice to use an Asian actor or not, is it a producer/casting director's job to evenly distribute roles based on the demographic make-up of the country?...or to cast people who fit the vision of the person who made the movie?

You forgot the most important factor... cast the actor who guarantees the highest box office returns.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,259.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Asians are guilty of the same racist hiring policies. The other day I went to this nice Chinese restaurant, Panda Express. Not a single Asian employee, all Mexicans.

Asians will also prefer to marry whites if given the opportunity, lololol!

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,259.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
There's a lot of Asian talent out there, and once in a while, Hollywood gets it right. Who remembers the (sadly) late Persis Khambatta? The Bollywood actress who played Lt. Ilia in the first Star Trek movie. The hottest bald woman EVER. :bow:

Lovely Bollowood Actresses are VERY Caucasian in looks!

South Asia has strong Caucasian DNA in their region. It's not surprising that their most Caucasian-looking people could fit in perfectly in western white cultures. Some of them I personally knew looked like famous American actors in Hollywood.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟866,112.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Isn't this about the 3rd/4th thread in the last 6 weeks on the same subject??? Guess the political ideologues think we haven't been persuaded yet that this is a really big issue, when it really isn't (political noise). And the funniest/best part is the people they are complaining about (that run Hollyweird) are of the "SAME" political ideology as them, go figure...
Yep same subject. These White Wine Liberals here ridin' around in their limosines with swimming pools in the back worried about Hollyweird actors while me I'm looking out for the working man, the Asian cooks. They don't care. Nobody cares. What's the point of having a federal government anyway? Politicians runnin' around puttin' shrimp on treadmills and studying the effects of lesbian giraffe arthritis or something meanwhile I got my Egg Foo Yung being dished up by Pedro over here. Oh, America's just the worst ever.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Locutus

May 28, 2014
✟22,874.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private

For sure. But there's a uniqueness to Japanese culture, and I don't think even the least worldly westerner could argue with that. Youth are prepared to push boundaries, they're inventive, they're creative, they excel at sport, they're colourful, determined, incredibly artistic, and fierce. They travel, they mix, they don't mind getting their hands dirty, and they're not 'nouveau riche', even when they are. In my many years of backpacking around the globe, the most 'out there' peeps I crossed paths with were almost always Japanese. The second most hardcore travellers were invariably German or Dutch, but they were hard without the element of childlike fun the Japanese seem to retain. Apologies to my German & Dutch friends.

Upvote 0

Locutus

May 28, 2014
✟22,874.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
What does that mean exactly? Do you watch much asian cinema?

I've spent a good portion of my life in Asia. I've seen more Asian cinema than I could ever hope to recall.

And what I mean is that non Asian women simply aren't attracted to east Asian males. It's just nature/culture. We like big, burly Vikings and Warriors. We like men who are tall and strong looking, with chest hair and beards. Yes, that's a generalisation, but you get the idea. It's cave man stuff. The biggest and strongest male is the most able to protect us and drag meat home.

Put another way, when I look at east Asian males, even the good looking ones, I don't actually register them as 'men'. It doesn't mean I register them as female, just that they register more like children, or elderly people. They don't register as 'mates', if that makes sense. They're effectively sexless. I know the vast majority of my female family and friends have the same experience. I would submit that the Hollywood brass is well aware of this phenomenon.

Upvote 0

Locutus

May 28, 2014
✟22,874.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Lovely Bollowood Actresses are VERY Caucasian in looks!

South Asia has strong Caucasian DNA in their region. It's not surprising that their most Caucasian-looking people could fit in perfectly in western white cultures. Some of them I personally knew looked like famous American actors in Hollywood.

Indians are NOT Asians! They are Caucasian.

Upvote 0

Locutus

May 28, 2014
✟22,874.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
We can certainly take care of ourselves, but sadly I think there's an important genetic component to it too. My mother is in her 50 yet has no wrinkles and pretty much clear skin (even without wearing any make up). She's never really done anything to preserve her youth.

Although most people in their 50s (men and women).. well.. they're a different story.. lol.

Maybe. I'm just over 50 and have the same sort of skin. But my sister (who is one year younger) doesn't. She's used expensive skin care products her entire adult life, and visits beauticians regularly etc, while I've done nothing. I don't even use moisturiser. The difference between sis and I is S.U.N. I've stayed out of it, she hasn't.

Upvote 0