Why We Should not Pray to the Saints

How important is venerating (and praying to) the saints?

• It's essential to our faith!

• Quite important, but understandable if some disagree.

• It couldn't hurt.

• I'm undecided, or don't really care.

• Faith is personal, no point arguing about it.

• The bible doesn't actually support it, so not very.

• It's tantamount to idolatry!

Results are only viewable after voting.

JediMobius

The Guy with the Face
Jan 12, 2006
Beer City, Michigan
✟10,618.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Whether currently here on earth or not, all the members of the Christian faith are parts of one body, the head of which is Christ. If prayer is most readily understood as communication, then prayer is the nervous system, and Christ is the mind. (Indeed, in 1Corinthians 2, we are told we have the mind of Christ through the Holy Spirit.) We are also told that we are different parts of this same body; some eyes, some ears, some feet, some hands. So, if the hand wants to know what it's supposed to be doing, does it ask the other hand, the eyes, or ears? No, the hand gets its direction from the mind alone, and this is the function and purpose of prayer.

The bride of Christ is incomplete, some are alive today, some are alive in Christ, but many are not alive yet, or not alive again until the resurrection. Even if there are saints in heaven right now, not one of them is in charge of the body. The hands and feet and other parts do not communicate with each other, that is not the way God made the body. God made the body to communicate directly with the head.

My right hand does not tell my left when it is in pain, it only tells my mind. Neither do my ears tell my mind what my eyes see. Instead, my ears tell my mind what they hear, my eyes what they see, and my mind does the work of putting the senses together.

Christ is the mind, and He is the only one to whom we should pray. This is how God chose to make the body. This is why we should not pray to the saints, it is not their function in the body.

Now, if we ask our brothers and sisters who are still with us for intercession, it is inherently different. Communication here on earth is not the same as communication in the holy body, which is through the Holy Spirit. Everything we do on earth is toward spiritual maturity. Faith, hope, love, and unity are grown in us here on earth, but in the Kingdom will be complete. For now, we are incomplete. It should be a given that we would only seek our completeness in Christ. Not in the saints, not in anyone or anything other than God.

We can take this concept further. In order to ask the departed saints for intercession, they must be with God in heaven, outside of the bounds of time and space. Otherwise, they would not have the capacity to be at several times and places simultaneously, which would be necessary to hear our prayers. But if this is where the saints go, there is nothing to preclude the existence in heaven of saints who are not canonized, including any of us still here on earth whose names are written in the book of life. It defies order and reason entirely for a Christian today to be able to ask oneself for intercession. Why would God have established such an institution?

If these premises and conclusions don't make sense, I will often edit the above content for clarity. If there are verses in support of prayer to the saints, please post them here.

Last edited:

packermann

Nov 30, 2003
Northwest Suburbs of Chicago, IL
✟45,845.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Republican
Whether currently here on earth or not, all the members of the Christian faith are parts of one body, the head of which is Christ. If prayer is most readily understood as communication, then prayer is the nervous system, and Christ is the mind. (Indeed, in 1Corinthians 2, we are told we have the mind of Christ through the Holy Spirit.) We are also told that we are different parts of this same body; some eyes, some ears, some feet, some hands. So, if the hand wants to know what it's supposed to be doing, does it ask the other hand, the eyes, or ears? No, the hand gets its direction from the mind alone, and this is the function and purpose of prayer.
Although the Bible talks about the body of Christ, this is merely a metaphore. But you are applying it in ways that it was never intended. In its context, Paul did not use this metaphor to intend at all that we should not pray to saints. At another place, you comment that the Hebrews 12:1 only referred to the cloud of witnesses in passing so it should be ignored. But when Paul wrote about the body of Christ, he did not even mention that what are saying at all! He does not even write in passing that because of the body of Christ we should not talk to the saints in heaven! This is nothing but an inference you personally take from Paul’s metaphore.

The bride of Christ is incomplete, some are alive today, some are alive in Christ, but many are not alive yet, or not alive again until the resurrection.
Many are not alive yet??? Until a person is born, is he not part of the “many” at all. You make it sound as if we exist before we are born.
Even if there are saints in heaven right now, not one of them is in charge of the body. The hands and feet and other parts do not communicate with each other, that is not the way God made the body. God made the body to communicate directly with the head.

My right hand does not tell my left when it is in pain, it only tells my mind. Neither do my ears tell my mind what my eyes see. Instead, my ears tell my mind what they hear, my eyes what they see, and my mind does the work of putting the senses together.
Again, you talking a little too New Agey for me. So then, instead of us talking to each other, lets us just meditate onto the Eternal Mind. The foot does not communicate directly to the hand. So, according to you, why are we communicating on this forum? Let’s just all get connected to Christ and He will mystically communicate our thoughts to others in heaven and on earth.

Christ is the mind, and He is the only one to whom we should pray. This is how God chose to make the body. This is why we should not pray to the saints, it is not their function in the body.

Actually the Bible says that Jesus is the head of the body, not the mind of the body. Christ is the head in that He is the ultimate authrity. HE is not the mind, in that we only communicate to Christ and not to each other.

One things that many Protestants do is misunderstand what we mean when we say we pray to saints. In the Bible and in old English, to “pray” means nothing more than to ask someone for something. Sarah actually prayed to Abraham, that is, she asked Abraham for something. In old English, you can say "I pray thee, please pass the salt".

Now, if we ask our brothers and sisters who are still with us for intercession, it is inherently different. Communication here on earth is not the same as communication in the holy body, which is through the Holy Spirit. Everything we do on earth is toward spiritual maturity. Faith, hope, love, and unity are grown in us here on earth, but in the Kingdom will be complete. For now, we are incomplete.
So only those who are incomplete pray to God? Once we are complete, in heaven, we no longer pray to God? And if we do not pray in heaven, then how do we have a relationship with God?

It should be a given that we would only seek our completeness in Christ. Not in the saints, not in anyone or anything other than God.

So it’s just Jesus and me and to heck with everyone else? The whole idea of Paul’s imagery on the body of Christ is that we do need each other. The hand cannot say to the foot “I have no need of you”. We do need each other. I especially need you to pray for me. And I especially need the prayers of those in heaven. I do not understand it. Do you think that that those in heaven are all apathetic to our plight? Are they having such a great time in heaven that they do not want to bother in helping us with their prayers?

This is not what I read in the Bible. The one thing that lasts is love (1 Cor 13). Those who are with God in heaven are not just content that there they are alone with God, and are complete. They are filled with compassion for us. They would do whatever they can to bring us to heaven. I know that once I am heaven, my love for those I left behind would compel me to pray to God to take care of them. I would ask any angel that I meet in heaven to look in on my family and friends when they go down to minister to those still on earth. If I could not see their plight, I would God to give me the eyes to see. I would not give up on my family and friends once I am in heaven.

Your view is too cold for me. Your view is “I am in heaven. I am complete in Christ. I do not concern myself with how others on earth are doing. That is between them and Christ”

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JediMobius

The Guy with the Face
Jan 12, 2006
Beer City, Michigan
✟10,618.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
how is intercession from those on earth any different or more effective ... than intercession from the members of the one Body in heaven?

Well, we can't have a conversation with someone who is asleep, or who isn't in proximity. Telephones and computers supplement the latter on earth, but we don't have spiritual devices for communication with each other. Such a device or mechanism would be necessary to communicate with those who aren't even necessarily in heaven. (Another point of this doctrine which lacks sufficient scriptural support.)

Praying to the saints is predisposed toward idolatry in that individuals may, and often do, begin to honor and ask favors of those who are not God to the exclusion of God himself.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JediMobius

The Guy with the Face
Jan 12, 2006
Beer City, Michigan
✟10,618.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Normally, I avoid this method at all costs. But because the response lacks cohesion to the initial argument and certain points are misconstrued between points, I find it necessary to isolate these errors. So, please, try not to let the ensuing discussion become unnecessarily convoluted.

As it stands, my position has been entirely misunderstood and taken to conclusions that were never intended. When speaking of the body of Christ, it is concerning the everlasting body, the bride given to Christ, and our existence with God in the New Jerusalem during and after the thousand years following Christ's return to take us all home.

Although the Bible talks about the body of Christ, this is merely a metaphore.

Please support the argument that a metaphor found in scripture is 'mere' and insufficient in establishing sound doctrine.

But you are applying it in ways that it was never intended.

Then, please provide grounds for what meanings and applications were intended, and how the application is thus refuted.

In its context, Paul did not use this metaphor to intend at all that we should not pray to saints.

That wasn't the point. That we are a single spiritual body is important to many aspects of Christianity, and tells us something about how the body should act and behave on earth as well as how it will manifest in the age to come. To assert that I intended the metaphor itself as proof against prayer to saints is to misconstrue entirely the use of the metaphor as detailed within the argument.

At another place, you comment that the Hebrews 12:1 only referred to the cloud of witnesses in passing so it should be ignored.

No. My comment was essentially this: as with any other example throughout scripture, a phrase of a few words within a single verse is not enough on its own to support any doctrine, especially when the meaning of the Greek word in question was more commonly used for a different sense than has been interpreted. This was the case with the word translated "cloud."

Many are not alive yet??? Until a person is born, is he not part of the “many” at all. You make it sound as if we exist before we are born.

God is timeless. He has seen to the end of the world, and knows intimately everyone dead, alive, or yet to be born. The body of Christ, as a whole spiritual being and not a physical one, exists fully only in eternity. So yes, from God's point of view, we do exist before we are born, because it's by God's will that each soul is sown in flesh.

Again, you talking a little too New Agey for me. So then, instead of us talking to each other, lets us just meditate onto the Eternal Mind. The foot does not communicate directly to the hand. So, according to you, why are we communicating on this forum? Let’s just all get connected to Christ and He will mystically communicate our thoughts to others in heaven and on earth.

The point pertains to spiritual communication i.e. prayer, not physical communication. The two are inherently separate.

Actually the Bible says that Jesus is the head of the body, not the mind of the body. Christ is the head in that He is the ultimate authrity. HE is not the mind, in that we only communicate to Christ and not to each other.

2Corinthians 2
11 For who among men knows the thoughts of a man except the man's spirit within him? In the same way no one knows the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God.
12 We have not received the spirit of the world but the Spirit who is from God, that we may understand what God has freely given us.
13 This is what we speak, not in words taught us by human wisdom but in words taught by the Spirit, expressing spiritual truths in spiritual words. [fn]
14 The man without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned.
15 The spiritual man makes judgments about all things, but he himself is not subject to any man's judgment:
16 "For who has known the mind of the Lord that he may instruct him?" But we have the mind of Christ.

One things that many Protestants do is misunderstand what we mean when we say we pray to saints. In the Bible and in old English, to “pray” means nothing more than to ask someone for something. Sarah actually prayed to Abraham, that is, she asked Abraham for something. In old English, you can say "I pray thee, please pass the salt".

Conceptually, prayer is by definition the whole of verbal, non-written communication with God. Practically, to ask a favor of someone physically removed from life on earth predicates powers only God has. (Omnipresence, for one.)

So only those who are incomplete pray to God? Once we are complete, in heaven, we no longer pray to God? And if we do not pray in heaven, then how do we have a relationship with God?

How was this conclusion reached?

So it’s just Jesus and me and to heck with everyone else? The whole idea of Paul’s imagery on the body of Christ is that we do need each other. The hand cannot say to the foot “I have no need of you”. We do need each other. I especially need you to pray for me. And I especially need the prayers of those in heaven. I do not understand it. Do you think that that those in heaven are all apathetic to our plight? Are they having such a great time in heaven that they do not want to bother in helping us with their prayers?

Presumably inadvertently, the argument has become a straw man. The parts of the body as they relate to each other, and especially charity, are beyond the scope of the argument. We absolutely need each other, but this need is secondary to our need for God.

Scripture does not tell us our departed brothers and sisters are in heaven, but that they (and we) will be raised from the dead at the second coming. That the departed saints go to what is called paradise, or the place prepared for us, does not equate to what is called heaven. For that matter, scripture does not demonstrate that the departed are even able to observe what is happening in their absence.

Your view is too cold for me. Your view is “I am in heaven. I am complete in Christ. I do not concern myself with how others on earth are doing. That is between them and Christ”

Direct reply to what I've written here would become convoluted, and the 'cold' nature of my view is what you have inferred according to your own preconceptions and presuppositions rather than what was intended. I would prefer, in response to what I've addressed, that you would re-read the initial argument and respond accordingly. Otherwise, our arguments will only polarize more at each iteration.

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The choices didn't really work for me. I think it's important, but not mandatory in personal prayer to do so. I think it's beneficial, though, and makes my spiritual life fuller.

I also think it's a practice within the life of the Church, and it isn't automatic or totally understandable outside of the Church, and even in it as new members of the Church. It was 12 years later that I started to ask the Saints to pray for me.

Upvote 0

DrBubbaLove

Roman Catholic convert from Southern Baptist
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2004
Left coast
✟77,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Do the prayers of the righteous avail much?

Who among us could be more righteous than those already present with our Lord and Savior?

Are all members of the One Body called to pray for one another or just those still walking this earth?

Is there any scripture support for those who have passed on having some level of awareness?

Being "aware" what could be more fitting for those Christians with our Lord to continue doing what they excelled at when they walked this earth (pray for us)?

Why would the 'elders" in John's revelation be depicted offering up our prayers to God if the belief of the early Christians was that asking those to "elders" pray for us was wrong?
If we are to "only pray to God" how could those "elders" be depicted offering something to God that did not involve their participation in any way?

Adding that I agree with Dorothea - poll is biased toward those who do not practice - so I did not vote. Anyone practicing who votes must choose the least disagreeable option rather than one we could fully endorse - so the results of the poll are skewed to refuting the practice.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MrPolo

Woe those who call evil good + good evil. Is 5:20
Jul 29, 2007
Visit site
✟17,196.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Well, we can't have a conversation with someone who is asleep, or who isn't in proximity.
But you believe Jesus was human and can pray to him, right, even though you do not see him in a physical, proximate way?
Also, the Bible tells us angels watch over us. On what basis would you then reject asking angels for intercession any different than asking your fellow earth-living Christian? Or do you believe praying to angels is ok?

Upvote 0

MrPolo

Woe those who call evil good + good evil. Is 5:20
Jul 29, 2007
Visit site
✟17,196.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
The hands and feet and other parts do not communicate with each other, that is not the way God made the body. God made the body to communicate directly with the head.

This understanding that one member should never ask another member for intercession contradicts Paul's numerous requests to other members for intercession (e.g. Rom. 15:30; Col 4:3, 1 Thes 5:25; 2 Thes 3:1, etc...)

Upvote 0

packermann

Nov 30, 2003
✟45,845.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Republican
Well, we can't have a conversation with someone who is asleep, or who isn't in proximity.
Most Christians do not believe in soul-sleep. The only church that teaches soul-sleep that I know of is the Seventh-Adventist Church.
Proximity? Heaven is not a physical place way out there in outer space. It is another dimension. It could even overlap with our dimension. If that is the case, those in heaven could be closer to us than we are to each other.
Telephones and computers supplement the latter on earth, but we don't have spiritual devices for communication with each other. Such a device or mechanism would be necessary to communicate with those who aren't even necessarily in heaven.

That mechanism does exist. That mechanism is God. With God all things are possible.

(Another point of this doctrine which lacks sufficient scriptural support.)
This is the old Everything-we-believe-must-be-found-in-the-Bible argument. But the problem is that the presupposition that Everything-we-believe-must-be-found-in-the-Bible is not found in the Bible. Please do not misunderstand me here. Whatever the Bible says I believe wholeheartedly. That is why I believe in Hebrew 12:1 which it says that we are surrounded by the Old Testament saints in the clouds, being spectators of our race to the finish. It matters not to me that this is the focus of the whole chapter. Jesus said not one jot or tittle can be taken away. Also, later on in chapter 12, it says that we not only have a relationship with Jesus in heaven but with “the spirits who have been perfect”. I do not recall you dealing with this verse at all. You dealt with the firstborn but not with the that phrase that we are approach the spirits made perfect.
Praying to the saints is predisposed toward idolatry in that individuals may, and often do, begin to honor and ask favors of those who are not God to the exclusion of God himself.
This is why many of my fellow Catholics choose to stay in the Catholic-section. They get tired of being insulted, that they do not have a genuine relationship with Christ. It’s as if you can look in your hearts and know that we are placing Mary and the other saints above God.
I think we need to start taking the Lord Jesus seriously about not judging others lest we will be judged. I do not know anybody’s heart. For all I know, you could be far more spiritual than I am. I try not to compare myself to others. The only one I compare myself to is myself – the way I used to be before I came back to the Catholic Church. I was a Protestant for 12 years – three years as a Protestant minister. I went to a Protestant seminary. I was a lousy Christian back then. I admit it. I spent most of my time either watching television or on the forum like this one. Very rarely did I pray.

Now that I am Catholic, I spend much time talking to my fellow Christians in heaven and on earth. But I am also talking directly with God far more than ever before (far more than I talk to the saints). You think it is a zero-sum game – that the more I pray to saints the less I pray to God. But that is not what happened at all! The more I prayed to the saints, especially to Mary, the more I prayed to God. The saints did not detract me from God, but from the world and the things of this world. I found myself spending less time with television and forums. I frankly enjoy much more talking to God about you than you about God (ala St. Ambrose).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

packermann

Nov 30, 2003
✟45,845.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Republican
Normally, I avoid this method at all costs. But because the response lacks cohesion to the initial argument and certain points are misconstrued between points, I find it necessary to isolate these errors. So, please, try not to let the ensuing discussion become unnecessarily convoluted.
OK. I appreciate you showing me the error of my ways.

As it stands, my position has been entirely misunderstood and taken to conclusions that were never intended. When speaking of the body of Christ, it is concerning the everlasting body, the bride given to Christ, and our existence with God in the New Jerusalem during and after the thousand years following Christ's return to take us all home.
But Paul was talking about the body of Christ, at the eschaton.

Please support the argument that a metaphor found in scripture is 'mere' and insufficient in establishing sound doctrine.
I did not say that a metaphor is insufficient for establishing. A metaphor is limited to only the point of comparison. For if a main goes out on a blind date and then next day to says to his friend that the woman was “a real dog”. Chances he is only saying that she was not that pretty. Now, there are other things about a dog. A dog barks, a dos runs fast, a dog loves to play fetch, etc. But these other attributes are incidental to how this man used this phrase.
I feel you were over-analyzing a simple metaphor that Paul used to only show how we are all united in one body and Christ is head to show that we cannot talk to those in heaven – something that Paul never even tended to convey. But if you are right, and are not limited to the metaphor just at the point of comparison, then let me show how this metaphor can be used to validate the Catholic view of the church. One obvious attribute concerning a body is that it is visible, as opposed to a soul. So I could argue that this proves that the body of Christ is a visible institution.

Then, please provide grounds for what meanings and applications were intended, and how the application is thus refuted.

12 Just as a body, though one, has many parts, but all its many parts form one body, so it is with Christ. 13 For we were all baptized by[c] one Spirit so as to form one body—whether Jews or Gentiles, slave or free—and we were all given the one Spirit to drink. 14 Even so the body is not made up of one part but of many.
Paul’s intention is that there is unity and yet diversity among Christians. We are all part of one body. Nothing here is discussed about how we relate to saints in heaven, but how we relate to each other on earth.

1 Cor 2
But we have the mind of Christ.
Chapter 2 does not even mention the body. That is done in chapter 12. Here, Paul says that we have the mind of Christ. But that is far different than saying that Christ is our mind, which you asserted.
1 Cor 12
15 Now if the foot should say, “Because I am not a hand, I do not belong to the body,” it would not for that reason stop being part of the body. 16 And if the ear should say, “Because I am not an eye, I do not belong to the body,” it would not for that reason stop being part of the body. 17 If the whole body were an eye, where would the sense of hearing be? If the whole body were an ear, where would the sense of smell be? 18 But in fact God has placed the parts in the body, every one of them, just as he wanted them to be. 19 If they were all one part, where would the body be? 20 As it is, there are many parts, but one body.
Paul expounds on his central idea that we each have a different function in the body of Christ. Again, Paul did not say anything about saint in heaven and whether or not we can relate to them
21 The eye cannot say to the hand, “I don’t need you!” And the head cannot say to the feet, “I don’t need you!” 22 On the contrary, those parts of the body that seem to be weaker are indispensable, 23 and the parts that we think are less honorable we treat with special honor. And the parts that are unpresentable are treated with special modesty, 24 while our presentable parts need no special treatment. But God has put the body together, giving greater honor to the parts that lacked it, 25 so that there should be no division in the body, but that its parts should have equal concern for each other. 26 If one part suffers, every part suffers with it; if one part is honored, every part rejoices with it.
Paul is saying that we all need each other. Nothing here about saints in heaven.
27 Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it. 28 And God has placed in the church first of all apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healing, of helping, of guidance, and of different kinds of tongues. 29 Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Do all work miracles? 30 Do all have gifts of healing? Do all speak in tongues[d]? Do all interpret? 31 Now eagerly desire the greater gifts
We each have a gift to contribute to the body of Christ. There is here about the end times, the new Jerusalem, etc. Paul is talking on how we relate to each other, not non how we relate to saints heaven This passage does not support or forbid our praying to saints in heaven. That was not the issue with the Corinthian church. Here, Paul was dealing with the schisms and the abuses of the gifts among the Corinthians.

That wasn't the point. That we are a single spiritual body is important to many aspects of Christianity, and tells us something about how the body should act and behave on earth as well as how it will manifest in the age to come. To assert that I intended the metaphor itself as proof against prayer to saints is to misconstrue entirely the use of the metaphor as detailed within the argument.

The heading of you thread is “A Case Against Prayers for Intercession from the Saints”.
Then you refer to 1 Cor 2 and the body of Christ as proof for you case. Are you now backpedaling?
No. My comment was essentially this: as with any other example throughout scripture, a phrase of a few words within a single verse is not enough on its own to support any doctrine, especially when the meaning of the Greek word in question was more commonly used for a different sense than has been interpreted. This was the case with the word translated "cloud."
Different sense? All of our English translations of the Bible translated this word to be “cloud”. But we are supposed to believe that you are right they are all wrong!

God is timeless. He has seen to the end of the world, and knows intimately everyone dead, alive, or yet to be born. The body of Christ, as a whole spiritual being and not a physical one, exists fully only in eternity. So yes, from God's point of view, we do exist before we are born, because it's by God's will that each soul is sown in flesh.

I agree that God is timeless, and God foreknew us before we were born. But that does not mean that we existed before we born. You might as well say that we existed before we existed!

The point pertains to spiritual communication i.e. prayer, not physical communication. The two are inherently separate.

2Corinthians 2
11 For who among men knows the thoughts of a man except the man's spirit within him? In the same way no one knows the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God.
12 We have not received the spirit of the world but the Spirit who is from God, that we may understand what God has freely given us.
13 This is what we speak, not in words taught us by human wisdom but in words taught by the Spirit, expressing spiritual truths in spiritual words. [fn]
14 The man without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned.
15 The spiritual man makes judgments about all things, but he himself is not subject to any man's judgment:
16 "For who has known the mind of the Lord that he may instruct him?" But we have the mind of Christ.
This passage says nothing about the body of Christ, which is not stated until chapter 12. Your argument is that Christ is the mind of the body of Christ, so we should we not communicate to anybody but Christ. But you have to take the metaphor in chapter and reach it all the way back to chapter 2. Also, Paul wrote that we have the mind of Christ, not that Christ is our mind.

Conceptually, prayer is by definition the whole of verbal, non-written communication with God. Practically, to ask a favor of someone physically removed from life on earth predicates powers only God has. (Omnipresence, for one.)

That is not how we Catholics use it when we refer to talking to saint6s and asking them to pray for us. Ask any Catholic if he thinks that the saints are gods, and he would emphatically say ‘no’.
A saint does not need to be omnipresent or omniscient to hear our prayers. The created universe, in spite of how vast it is, is still finite. Compared to God, the universe is not even a spec. The only thing infinite is God. Since the universe is infinite, it is possible for a finite creature to know everything there is the universe. So if a creature knew everything in the universe, that would not make this creature God. The one thing a finite creature would never know. No finite creature would fully know God. Only the infinite God can fully understand the infinite God. Since the universe is not even a spec compared to God, to say that that a creature knows everything in the universe would not make him even close to being God. That is how immense God is! Knowing the whole universe is like knowing a spec of dust compared to knowing God.

How was this conclusion reached?

Good. You then admit that the saints in heaven pray to God. But if you admit that they pray to Go0d, why do you object that they pray for us?

Presumably inadvertently, the argument has become a straw man. The parts of the body as they relate to each other, and especially charity, are beyond the scope of the argument. We absolutely need each other, but this need is secondary to our need for God.
I totally agree. Our relationship with God is primary. Our relationship with others, even those in heaven, is secondary. I have never met a Catholic who felt otherwise.
Scripture does not tell us our departed brothers and sisters are in heaven, but that they (and we) will be raised from the dead at the second coming.
That the departed saints go to what is called paradise, or the place prepared for us, does not equate to what is called heaven.
Most Protestant Christians believe that when they die they will go immediately to heaven. The Catholic position is that unless the person who in grace dies in relative perfection, he goes to purgatory. There are different level in purgatory, the highest one is Paradise. Paradise is a wonderful place, but not quite heaven.
So your position is closer to the Catholic position. However, it is still not quite right. Paul wrote that he desired to die and to be with Christ. So Paul, a saint, went immediately to be with Christ. And where Christ is, there is heaven.
For that matter, scripture does not demonstrate that the departed are even able to observe what is happening in their absence.

Direct reply to what I've written here would become convoluted, and the 'cold' nature of my view is what you have inferred according to your own preconceptions and presuppositions rather than what was intended. I would prefer, in response to what I've addressed, that you would re-read the initial argument and respond accordingly. Otherwise, our arguments will only polarize more at each iteration.
I did it.
And I ask you to go and spend time with some devout Catholics, such as members of Opus Dei. See how much they love Jesus Christ. You will see how rash it was to judge Catholics of tending towards idolizing anyone or anything over Christ. Until you do, I feel that the polarization will increase.

Upvote 0

Lion King

Veni, vidi, vici
Mar 29, 2011
Heavenly Jerusalem- Mount Zion
✟10,388.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
When men tell you to consult mediums and spiritists, who whisper and mutter, should not a people inquire of their God? Why consult the dead on behalf of the living? Isaiah 8:19

When you enter the land the LORD your God is giving you, do not learn to imitate the detestable ways of the nations there. Let no one be found among you who sacrifices their son or daughter in the fire, who practices divination or sorcery, interprets omens, engages in witchcraft, or casts spells, or who is a medium or spiritist or who consults the dead. Anyone who does these things is detestable to the LORD; because of these same detestable practices the LORD your God will drive out those nations before you. Deuteronomy 18:9-12

:preach:

Upvote 0

DrBubbaLove

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2004
Left coast
✟77,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"Hail Mary, full of Grace, the Lord is with thee, blessed art thou among women and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus."

Am not sure how that sounds like "consulting the dead" and not certain why it should make one fell better to claim Catholics do that in an attempt to refute what is not understood.

Upvote 0

packermann

Nov 30, 2003
✟45,845.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Republican
When men tell you to consult mediums and spiritists, who whisper and mutter, should not a people inquire of their God? Why consult the dead on behalf of the living? Isaiah 8:19ber

I do not believe I ever consulted the dead for advice. I ask the saints in heaven to pray for me not to give me advice.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Whisper of Hope

Oct 4, 2011
✟12,000.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
When men tell you to consult mediums and spiritists, who whisper and mutter, should not a people inquire of their God? Why consult the dead on behalf of the living? Isaiah 8:19

When you enter the land the LORD your God is giving you, do not learn to imitate the detestable ways of the nations there. Let no one be found among you who sacrifices their son or daughter in the fire, who practices divination or sorcery, interprets omens, engages in witchcraft, or casts spells, or who is a medium or spiritist or who consults the dead. Anyone who does these things is detestable to the LORD; because of these same detestable practices the LORD your God will drive out those nations before you. Deuteronomy 18:9-12

:preach:

Amen, brother. There are no Scriptures which instruct believers in Christ to pray to anyone other than God. And there are no Scriptures which encourage, or even mentions, believers in Christ asking individuals in heaven for their prayers. However, Scripture does tell us that Jesus Christ Himself is interceding for us before the Father: "Therefore He is able to save completely those who come to God through Him, because He always lives to intercede for them" (Hebrews 7:25). Scripture also describes the Holy Spirit interceding for us: "In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us through wordless groans. And He who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for God’s people in accordance with the will of God" (Romans 8:26-27; 1 John 5:14-15). Scripture also tells us that as believers in Christ, we can approach God's throne ourselves: "Let us then approach God’s throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need" (Hebrews 4:16).

Therefore, if we have the Son of God and the Spirit of God interceding for us before God the Father and we can boldly approach the throne of God with confidence, than why would we need Mary or the saints to intercede for us before God? The only time Scripture mentions praying to or speaking with the dead, it is in the context of sorcery, witchcraft, necromancy, and divination. The Scriptures clearly condemns such practices. We do not need to pray to Mary or to the saints, because we can approach God ourselves with confidence. The truth of this matter is this: There are no Scriptures instructing believers in Christ on earth to pray to Mary or to the saints in heaven. Praying to Mary or to the saints in heaven is clearly unbiblical and should be avoided.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DrBubbaLove

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2004
Left coast
✟77,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I would rather stand with the Fathers in their belief that we are to pray for one another and that duty does not end with our death. The same men spoke against pagan practices of communicating with the dead. Obviously they did not see scriptures against those practices as forbidding prayer.

"These are the spiritual defences and divine weapons which defend us. Let us remember one another in concord and unanimity. Let us on both sides always pray for one another. Let us relieve burdens and afflictions by mutual love, that if any one of us, by the swiftness of divine condescension, shall go hence the first, our love may continue in the presence of the Lord, and our prayers for our brethren and sisters not cease in the presence of the Father's mercy. I bid you, dearest brother, ever heartly farewell."

Cyprian of Carthage
CHURCH FATHERS: Epistle 56 (Cyprian of Carthage)

Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
quote=DrBubbaLove; I would rather stand with the Fathers in their belief that we are to pray for one another and that duty does not end with our death.
Praying for isn't what this is about, is it? I thought it was about praying to, & not just "one another", but to deceased persons. Forgive me if I'm wrong. Maybe I'm not paying attention. I'll double check.

"These are the spiritual defences and divine weapons which defend us. Let us remember one another in concord and unanimity. Let us on both sides always pray for one another."

Upvote 0

DrBubbaLove

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2004
Left coast
✟77,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
While at it and as long as we are splitting hairs, maybe we should double check meaning of pray - and as long as we treat asking each other to pray for us as no different than "praying to" a Saint - then when can proceed.

Upvote 0