Why was the risen Christ unrecognizable to Mary Magdalene and the Disciples?

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟145,384.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Why couldn't Mary Magdalene recognize Jesus outside of the sepulchre, where she was weeping? Why did she think he was the gardener? Why also couldn't the disciples recognize Jesus on the shore when they were fishing, until he had performed the miracle of 153 fish? Did he have a different appearance or were they all simply temporarily blinded by the fact that it was him? Either way, I think that he was unrecognizable to them visually, and left it up to them to recognize him by his words and deeds, before he fully revealed himself to them.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Why couldn't Mary Magdalene recognize Jesus outside of the sepulchre, where she was weeping? Why did she think he was the gardener? Why also couldn't the disciples recognize Jesus on the shore when they were fishing, until he had performed the miracle of 153 fish? Did he have a different appearance or were they all simply temporarily blinded by the fact that it was him? Either way, I think that he was unrecognizable to them visually, and left it up to them to recognize him by his words and deeds, before he fully revealed himself to them.

No one really has the answer for this. And some of the ones I've heard just seem farfetched.

Upvote 0

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟145,384.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
You guys are so silly. I mean come on, it was Easter. He was obviously wearing a giant bunny costume.

Seriously though . . .

From what I've heard, He hadn't yet wanted to be revealed. The veil hadn't been lifted. That's it.

I don't know about that. He appeared clearly to the disciples in the room where they were praying (twice in eight days) after Mary told them she had seen him. Then he was once again masked, for lack of a better word, on the shore.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
As Tom wright puts it, the John 20 story is a creation account; mistaking him as the gardener is the right mistake to make.

More generally it's seems part of something that goes through all the creation accounts, a struggle to put into words but the continuity and the discontinuity, he sameness but the difference. They recognise him but they don't recognise him at the same time.

Upvote 0

Grafted In

Site Supporter
Apr 15, 2012
Upper midwest
✟60,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For one thing He had a glorified body and, as I've posted before on other threads, I believe He was wearing the pure white robe from the Heavenly Tabernacle brought to Him by the 2 angels Scripture tells us were in the cave when they looked in....one at the foot and one at the head where Jesus' s body was lain.
. A very clear picture of the Holy of Holys.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
For one thing He had a glorified body and, as I've posted before on other threads, I believe He was wearing the pure white robe from the Heavenly Tabernacle brought to Him by the 2 angels Scripture tells us were in the cave when they looked in....one at the foot and one at the head where Jesus' s body was lain.
And yet people mistake him for ordinary people.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟145,384.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged

There's no indication at all that he was arrayed like that. Quite opposite, actually. He was seen as ordinary.

Upvote 0

Grafted In

Site Supporter
Apr 15, 2012
Upper midwest
✟60,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I once watched a Bible teacher on TV explain what may have caused Him to not be recognized. He said that gardeners at that time often wore white robes thus Him having been mistaken for the gardener. Also we are not told in Scripture how a man beaten to the point that He no longer looked like Himself and what exactly that would mean with a resurection body.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
perhaps it's more telling to say that He didn't look like they had been used to seeing Him look. That He had to point out His wounds as verification to them before they could believe.

And from personal experience i can tell you that it is not at all unusual for people who have been through such trauma as the disciples and the two Mary's not to recognize someone that they would otherwise know, or even to mistake them for someone else.

Grief and shock do that.

Upvote 0

Grafted In

Site Supporter
Apr 15, 2012
Upper midwest
✟60,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There's no indication at all that he was arrayed like that. Quite opposite, actually. He was seen as ordinary.

But we do know He was not wearing His burial garments and I'm sure most if not all members would agree that He would not have been able to enter The Heavenly Holy of Holys to apply His blood in an earthly garment.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
perhaps it's more telling to say that He didn't look like they had been used to seeing Him look. That He had to point out His wounds as verification to them before they could believe.

And from personal experience i can tell you that it is not at all unusual for people who have been through such trauma as the disciples and the two Mary's not to recognize someone that they would otherwise know, or even to mistake them for someone else.

Grief and shock do that.

...or that the victim had gone through so much that he was not immediately recognizable. I don't know if this is the answer, in part because it took a rather long time for some of those who met him after the Resurrection to know who they were talking to, but the bodies of the dead in open caskets never look to me just exactly like the persons had looked in life...and this case was much worse. In addition, if you knew that a closer friend were dead and you later met someone who bore a good resemblance to him, chances are your first thought would not be that the deceased had come back to life and was now talking with you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
...or that the victim had gone through so much that he was not immediately recognizable. I don't know if this is the answer, in part because it took a rather long time for some of those who met him after the Resurrection to know who they were talking to, but the bodies of the dead in open caskets never look to me just exactly like the persons had looked in life...and this case was much worse. In addition, if you knew that a closer friend were dead and you later met someone who bore a good resemblance to him, chances are your first thought would not be that the deceased had come back to life and was now talking with you.

they must have treated their gardeners shockingly back then. did they expect them to work from inside the rose-bushes or something?

Upvote 0

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟145,384.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged

Well I highly doubt he looked like a brutally beaten, decomposing corpse, and they did have the experience of Lazarus.

Upvote 0

Grafted In

Site Supporter
Apr 15, 2012
Upper midwest
✟60,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
they must have treated their gardeners shockingly back then. did they expect them to work from inside the rose-bushes or something?

Fair enough. So then is it your belief that He ascended to Heaven in the nude, then put on the robe of the priest? If not what are your thoughts on the matter? Jesus told Mary not to touch Him . I think He must have meant not to touch His garment either. He was on his way to Heaven to apply His blood in the Holy of Holys and neither He nor His clothes could be corrupted by the world.
You know, I'm glad someone took issue with my words. As I continued to think on these things suddenly a great Truth was revealed to me. After He returned from Heaven they could touch Him all they wanted. He had completed the job of reconciliation between God and man. The Scripture " come boldly before the Throne of Grace" was brought to mind.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Fair enough. So then is it your belief that He ascended to Heaven in the nude, then put on the robe of the priest? If not what are your thoughts on the matter? Jesus told Mary not to touch Him .
Not to hang on to him, which is quite different.

Upvote 0