Why us "lust" so Bad?

Spike_Speigel

Jul 7, 2009
✟7,639.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've been pndering this question for a while You see, one of my biggest struggles in life is that of sexual temptation. I love sex. I View sex as one of God's greatest gifts. It is really a beautiful thing that two people can share themselves with one another. Sex is a very normal part of human life. while I hold this positive view of sex in my mind, I often find myself giving into the world's perversions of sex on a regular basis. I love looking at sexy women. I check women out all the time. Even my Girlfriend is aware of this, but she doesn't seem to mind unless it's disrespectful. Hell I even think some inappropriate content is hot.... but I know many things in the Bible object to this. But I guess my confusion is why sex and desire is viewed so negatively. Why do people think having sexual urges is bad? Obviously it can lead to many perversions and misuse of God's gift, but if people didn't "Lust" after one another, then people wouldn't have sex, people wouldn't marry, and people wouldn't have children. Did not God says that we are "sexual" beings? I know that doesn't mean screwing everyone, but that does mean that sexuality is a very core part of our being. Why do people seek to hide themselves sexually?

Revived

Fighting the good fight of faith.
Mar 25, 2009
Planted by the water
Visit site
✟30,494.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I realize you're not speaking of adultery but bear with me. First, look at I Sam. 16:7:

But the LORD said to Samuel, "Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The LORD does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart."

And then Matthew 5:27-28:

"You have heard that it was said, 'Do not commit adultery.' But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

Jesus is saying essentially that the crime is in not only the act, but the intent is enough to make one guilty of breaking God's law. To say adultery is taken very lightly in our society is an understatement. For the most part, modern society does not treat the sin of adultery with proper gravity. There are societies in which adultery is not even a crime. Many people of the world consider the sin of adultery a private matter between the husband and wife affected by it. In addition, there are those that believe adultery is not a sin as long as the husband and wife allow the adultery. This attitude is not a godly view of adultery or marriage. In God's law, marriage is a sacred institution, a vow before God. Genesis 2:24 says "For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife and the two will become one flesh." Adultery rips apart the "one flesh" that has been joined together through the sanctity of marriage.

Given the seriousness of adultery, we can also understand the seriousness of the sin of lust. Lust is the gateway to adultery. Can you think of one instance of adultery where there was not first the sin of lust? In Matthew 5:28, Jesus says "But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart." As a Godly man is invariably expected to resist adultery, then why should he not also resist lust? Lust is centered on self-gratification. Lust is about possession and greed. The Christian faith is about selflessness, repentance and living a fruitful life. This means putting off the old way of life of which sin was in control, and conforming one's thoughts and actions to the standard put forth in Scripture.

Blessings,
Derrick

Upvote 0
F

followingJesus1

The Bible says that to even look at a woman with lustful thoughts is the same as committing adultery. So, it is just as bad to have lust as it is to actually commit adultery. My pastor always says it this way: We may think that just thinking about it is not a problem because we are not actually sinning. But, it is a like a little seed that is planted and if left alone it will grow into a problem. It takes just one thought that is not dealt with to cause us to sin. We have to watch the things that are just thoughts and we are to make every thought captive to God. You may think lust is not bad, but left not dealt with it may cause you to commit adultery.

Reactions: Revived
Upvote 0
Oct 7, 2005
✟2,829.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
As I have mentioned to another forum member's thread about lust besides being immoral, it is also from my experience the body's warning sign concerning sexual disease such as prostate cancer for men and breast cancer for women. Private self-examination ie masturbation using lust images on the internet to examine the health of bodily fluids such as male sperm or female breastmilk, can tell you if there is any discoloration caused by the disease. A variety of fruit and vegetables containing anti-cancerous antioxidant chemicals taken daily can prevent these dangerous sexual diseases if you not aware of these plant cure foods. Old age is an incurable curse from God because of Adam and Eve sinned stealing the fruit, we must accept Jesus to renew our lives in life after death. Rather than argue about the existence of God, athiests should accept Jesus so that they can peacefully argue with God in heaven. Accept Jesus, argue later.
:liturgy:
:cool:

Upvote 0
N

nhisname

I've been pndering this question for a while You see, one of my biggest struggles in life is that of sexual temptation. I love sex. I View sex as one of God's greatest gifts. It is really a beautiful thing that two people can share themselves with one another. Sex is a very normal part of human life. while I hold this positive view of sex in my mind, I often find myself giving into the world's perversions of sex on a regular basis. I love looking at sexy women. I check women out all the time. Even my Girlfriend is aware of this, but she doesn't seem to mind unless it's disrespectful. Hell I even think some inappropriate content is hot.... but I know many things in the Bible object to this. But I guess my confusion is why sex and desire is viewed so negatively. Why do people think having sexual urges is bad? Obviously it can lead to many perversions and misuse of God's gift, but if people didn't "Lust" after one another, then people wouldn't have sex, people wouldn't marry, and people wouldn't have children. Did not God says that we are "sexual" beings? I know that doesn't mean screwing everyone, but that does mean that sexuality is a very core part of our being. Why do people seek to hide themselves sexually?

One of the fruits of the spirit is self control. God wants us to be in full control of our emotions and bodies as well as our thoughts. Lust is a sin that can and will control you if you don't get rid of it. Sex was not intended for practices outside of marriage. Its intent is for procreation. One of man's greatest tradegedies is the abuse of one of God's greatest gifts. Sex is to be shared and respectfully honored between a husband and wife. Anything outside of that is fornication and a sin.

Upvote 0

praisehimalleluia

Amazing Grace
Aug 18, 2009
✟8,167.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Satan knows mankind's weakness. Lust is his precious weapon against human beings. Refer to James 1:14-15, NAS
14 But each one is tempted when he is carried away and enticed by his own lust. 15 Then when lust has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and when sin is accomplished, it brings forth death
. He knows we can fall with this weakness. The lion continues to devour men and women today, and he won't stop till he tricks them that it is "normal" to lust and adultery. The heart is what the Lord looks at. The intentions within us. If we look a woman and are enticed by her, the same heart the Lord did notice. Satan will cause you to lust after that woman.

I won't say that women don't have that feeling. There are many women who admires men secretly but they never express it out. I have been with a muslim woman who uses the veil but she lusts after men and the veil hides her from being "noticed" of her eyes that are roaming around. So it does happen to women as well.

Some short verses pertaining Satan's deception:

1. Satan is called the prince of this world [John 14.30; 16.11], god of this world [2 Corinthians 4.4]. In-other-words the nations and peoples of earth are under his influence [Ephesians 2.2; John 12.31]. he, that is satan, is a liar [John 8.44], the sponsor of all falsehood and deceits [Acts 13.10]. he also attempts to disguise himself as the savior of the world [John 3.14-15].

2. Man was created and designed for intimacy with God [Psalms 8.5], but he/she are caught in satan’s sins of deceptive and seductive pleasures [Galatians 5.19-21; James 1.14-15].

3. Jesus is the part of God that took on the form of man [Philippians 2-5-11], Who chose to die [Matthew 26.37-39; Mark 14.33-36] the holocaust death on the Cross (a long and torturous execution of the day Matthew 27; Mark 15; Luke 23) to defeat evil and free mankind from the shackles [chains, constraints] of sin.

Upvote 0

andre30000

Oct 24, 2009
✟15,118.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Lust is self destructive,it tires you.

I think lust is one of the extremes.Normal sexual attraction is healthy and good.

But lust is something that leads to a deep desire of using people.
I think that's what this is.I've notice that the more you have sex the more you want it.And you seek higher and better thrills because you're bored with what you've just done.

I think that's why some people get "bored" of they're wives sexually and emotionally.It is human nature that once we've gotten our fill we throw it away and we seek better stuff.That's what lust does to people.
It uses them and it uses you,emotionally and physically.

Upvote 0
F

freeport

It shouldn't be a focus. When you are checking out women, you need to think of how rude and invasive that can be. Also, your wife doesn't deserve that... unless you think it is cool that she checks out guys and reads inappropriate content on other guys.

What if you filled your heart with love of money instead? Or anything material? It is getting lost in a metaphor instead of seeing what the metaphor actually means: missing the forest for the trees.

Like idol worship of Christian icons.

We are way more then such things and should not be chained to meaningless nonsense.

Also, we should be able to have completely pure, 'no agenda' friendship relationships with the opposite sex.

If your heart is focused on something else, or even has that there, how can you pretend it isn't.

That is, therefore, making yourself impure and numb to real communication... and real religion -- what is in the heart.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

wanga

Jul 6, 2011
✟15,111.00
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Married
"Covet" and "Lust" are Neutral Words
The adversary has deceived men into believing that sex, lust, coveting, pleasure, sensuality, and feeling good is evil; yet, when God created all things he said "it was very good" (Genesis 1:31 ). Who are you going to believe? Christians desire, lust for, and covet after the Knowledge and Wisdom of God, which is good. Sensuality, like lust, is purely neutral. What you do with it determines whether you sin or not. Sex with strangers is not good, but sex with your spouse is. There is nothing wrong with lusting. Do you lust for your wife, or do you lust for somebody else’s wife? This is the point. The Law does not say, "Do not covet", it says do not covet anything that belongs to somebody else (Exodus 20:17).

Upvote 0