Home
✟21,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Genesis 3:6 "So when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was a delight to the eyes, and that the tree was to be desired to make one wise, she took of its fruit and ate; and she also gave some to her husband, and he ate."

What if Eve was drawn to fruit because of her own lusts? She was lusting after the fruit before the so-called devil appeared on the scene. What if she got Adam lusting for it by telling him how good it was? What if the evil in her was warring with the good and the evil won? That happens with us sometimes.

1 John 2:16 "For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh and the lust of the eyes and the pride of life, is not of the Father but is of the world. 17 And the world passes away, and the lust of it; but he who does the will of God abides for ever."

What is the difference in what Eve was feeling hanging around the tree and what the early disciples experienced and what we experience today when we hang around things that are forbidden? We have the same human nature that Adam and Eve had.

If we take the story of the garden literally, the serpent was the cause of their disobedience. If we take it figuratively to represent the evil, rebellious nature of man or our own voice of temptation. When we take it figuratively, the separate 'deceiver' is removed.

It is our choice to make.
If we take it figuratively we say that God cursed a figurative being, or cursed a serpent because humans sinned. I don't believe either.

If you decide to interpret every reference to the devil as an entity as figurative then no amount of scripture will change your mind.

The Revelation is essentially symbolic but there are physical referents that are contained in the symbols. It was written that way for a reason. God's people were protected from their evil adversaries. The early disciples understood the veiled warnings and heeded them, their enemies did not understand.

Does anyone take this literally? "I saw a woman sitting on a scarlet beast which was full of blasphemous names, and it had seven heads and ten horns. 4 The woman was arrayed in purple and scarlet, and bedecked with gold and jewels and pearls, holding in her hand a golden cup full of abominations and the impurities of her fornication; 5 and on her forehead was written a name of mystery: "Babylon the great, mother of harlots and of earth's abominations." 6 And I saw the woman, drunk with the blood of the saints and the blood of the martyrs of Jesus. When I saw her I marveled greatly." Revelation 17

Revelation has some parts that are purely figurative and some parts that describe real entities and places. Context is often important for interpretation.

The image of the woman is explained by the angel (in somewhat cryptic terms) to be the great city that rules over the kings of the earth. The dragon is explained to be Satan (on more than one occasion, almost as if John is trying to get a point across).

The dragon (Satan) is also cast into the pit of fire, along with the beast and the false prophet, and all who worshipped the beast and the dragon (Satan). And there the devil (Satan) will be tormented day and night forever and ever.

I get the concept of metaphorical speaking, but I find it hard to believe that John would find any value in saying that people's evil desires are going to be tormented forever in the lake of fire.

Upvote 0

MerriestHouse

Site Supporter
Feb 3, 2016
Kentucky
✟45,452.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
If we take it figuratively we say that God cursed a figurative being, or cursed a serpent because humans sinned. I don't believe either.

I understand that. They had a relationship with God in the beginning. They were separated from God and cast from the garden. They had to work the land and provide their own food. Separation from God is hell for humans, so that would be a curse.

Jesus removed the curse when he reconciled mankind back to God.

If you decide to interpret every reference to the devil as an entity as figurative then no amount of scripture will change your mind.

I guess the same goes for you if you take him literally. It is obvious to me that Scripture has been changed to fit preconceived ideas.

Revelation has some parts that are purely figurative and some parts that describe real entities and places. Context is often important for interpretation.

The image of the woman is explained by the angel (in somewhat cryptic terms) to be the great city that rules over the kings of the earth. The dragon is explained to be Satan (on more than one occasion, almost as if John is trying to get a point across).

The dragon (Satan) is also cast into the pit of fire, along with the beast and the false prophet, and all who worshipped the beast and the dragon (Satan). And there the devil (Satan) will be tormented day and night forever and ever.

I get the concept of metaphorical speaking, but I find it hard to believe that John would find any value in saying that people's evil desires are going to be tormented forever in the lake of fire.

Death and hell was thrown into the lake of fire. That took care of two enemies/adversaries of men. I believe that is figurative of Jesus' victory for us over death and the grave. Believers will never die. John 11:26

Upvote 0

Wgw

Pray For Brussels!
May 24, 2015
✟15,107.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
No. I believed the mainstream 'doctrine of devils' before I did an in-depth study. I want to know the truth, that's why I study. Do you just believe whatever you have been taught without checking to see if it is correct? I want to know what God through the Holy Spirit really said. I don't think you are afraid of the truth.

No, in fact, I left the Methodists and joined the Orthodox owing to the fruits of my own studies.

The problem is, your position is unscriptural. It is contrary to the book of Job and indeed contrary to the very words of our Lord; the Gospels describe our Lord being tempted by a personal, personified devil.

The Christian devil is not a coequal or semiequal force akin to the Zoroastrian Angra Mainyu. Rather, the devil is the accuser, the adversary, a fallen angel, restricted in power, that exists that our faith may be tested and purified in the fire.

Upvote 0

MerriestHouse

Site Supporter
Feb 3, 2016
Kentucky
✟45,452.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
No, in fact, I left the Methodists and joined the Orthodox owing to the fruits of my own studies.

The problem is, your position is unscriptural. It is contrary to the book of Job and indeed contrary to the very words of our Lord; the Gospels describe our Lord being tempted by a personal, personified devil.

The Christian devil is not a coequal or semiequal force akin to the Zoroastrian Angra Mainyu. Rather, the devil is the accuser, the adversary, a fallen angel, restricted in power, that exists that our faith may be tested and purified in the fire.

Where in Scripture is the devil a fallen angel?

Upvote 0

nomadictheist

Alive in Christ
Feb 8, 2014
Home
✟21,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I understand that. They had a relationship with God in the beginning. They were separated from God and cast from the garden. They had to work the land and provide their own food. Separation from God is hell for humans, so that would be a curse.

Jesus removed the curse when he reconciled mankind back to God.
If Jesus removed the curse, there would be no more pain in childbirth and we would no longer bring forth food from the ground by the sweat of our brows (ask any farmer and they'll tell you it's a lot of work to grow food). Additionally, if the curse were gone, the current heavens and earth would not be destined for destruction, and the creation of a new heaven and earth would not be necessary.

Jesus freed those who believe in Him from the final power of the curse (death), so there is now no condemnation for us who are in Christ Jesus. However, the world is still under the curse until the great judgment, and the new heaven and the new earth (once the current heaven and earth is destroyed).

I guess the same goes for you if you take him literally. It is obvious to me that Scripture has been changed to fit preconceived ideas.
If scripture has been altered, then it is no longer scripture. Anything besides the pure, unadulterated inspiration of God is not scripture.

Death and hell was thrown into the lake of fire. That took care of two enemies/adversaries of men. I believe that is figurative of Jesus' victory for us over death and the grave. Believers will never die. John 11:26
I see. So you also see death and hades as figurative entities and not real places/entities where the dead are. I suppose you also don't believe that the followers of the devil, the beast, and the false prophet are real either? Or are they the exception in this great big metaphor?

Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟611,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I gave the reasons in detail why I believe they were translated incorrectly. What proof do you have that they were translated correctly?
Sorry, I must have missed it. Can you point me to the post #?

Reactions: Wgw
Upvote 0

Goatee

Jesus, please forgive me, a sinner.
Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
Well, you can go ahead and continue sinning, and blame the weakness of your flesh. I, on the other hand, actually want to get saved and not live a lie, and I also don't want to be found at fault in anything I do, so I will continue abstaining from sin. We'll see who has the better outcome, the one who stopped sinning according to the teaching of Jesus and the apostles, or the one who continued sinning and blamed it on being "weak", etc.

Matthew 6:1-6
6 “Beware of practicing your piety before men in order to be seen by them; for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven.

You know buddy, it seems to me and probably 99% of people on here that you seem to 'think' that you are the 'perfect' 'Christian' and are completely sin free!

You continuously brag about how you are so 'pious' and 'sinless' but yet still come out with sinful words and actions!

You fail to give 'proper' evidence of your claims but point to your 'own' website!

Please buddy, look at what you say and do. Dont tell people they are doomed etc. You have no right to judge others. Look at the plank in your own eye before pointing out the splinter in your brothers eye!

We all believe in God here and you know, it has been said many times "Jesus came to save sinners". I am a massive sinner! I have repented. I have sought absolution. I 'KNOW' that Jesus does not lie! He keeps his word. If he said he will save sinners then i believe him! Yes, i have to keep my side of the deal and believe you me, i aim to do just that.

Now, i suggest you get off of your very high horse and humble yourself. Dont go preaching from the highest points to gain attention. Dont go throwing about false interpretations of scripture. Dont go accusing your fellow Christian. If you believe you are sinless you would be very humble indeed.

God bless you buddy

Upvote 0

stevenfrancis

Disciple
Dec 28, 2012
United States
Visit site
✟40,142.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
St. John Chrysostum - from "Homilies on the Gospel of John" - Chapter 4
2. Tell me, then, does the radiance of the sun proceed from thesubstance itself of the sun, or from some other source? Any one not deprived of his very senses needs must confess, that it proceeds from the substance itself. Yet, although the radiance proceeds from the sun itself, we cannot say that it is later in point of time than thesubstance of that body, since the sun has never appeared without its rays. Now if in the case of these visible and sensible bodies there has been shown to be something which proceeds from something else, and yet is not after that from whence it proceeds; why are you incredulous in the case of the invisible and ineffable Nature? This same thing there takes place, but in a manner suitable to ThatSubstance. For it is for this reason that Paul too calls HimBrightness Hebrews 1:3; setting forth thereby His being from Him and His Co-eternity. Again, tell me, were not all the ages, and every interval created by Him? Any man not deprived of his senses mustnecessarily confess this. There is no interval therefore between the Son and the Father; and if there be none, then He is not after, butCo-eternal with Him. For before and after are notions implyingtime, since, without age or time, no man could possibly imaginethese words; but God is above times and ages.

But if in any case you say that you have found a beginning to theSon, see whether by the same reason and argument you are not compelled to reduce the Father also to a beginning, earlier indeed, but still a beginning. For when you have assigned to the Son a limit and beginning of existence, do you not proceed upwards from that point, and say, that the Father was before it? Clearly you do. Tell me then, what is the extent of the Father's prior subsistence? For whether you say that the interval is little, or whether you say it is great, you equally have brought the Father to a beginning. For it is clear, that it is by measuring the space that you say whether it is little or great; yet it would not be possible to measure it, unless there were a beginning on either side; so that as far as you are concerned you have given the Father a beginning, and henceforth, according to your argument, not even the Father will be without beginning. See you that the word spoken by the Saviour is true, and the saying everywhere discovers its force? And what is that word? It is He that honors not the Son, honors not the Father.John 5:23

And I know indeed that what now has been said cannot by many be comprehended, and therefore it is that in many places we avoidagitating questions of human reasonings, because the rest of the people cannot follow such arguments, and if they could, still they have nothing firm or sure in them. For the thoughts of mortal menare miserable, and our devices are but uncertain. Wisdom 9:14 Still I should like to ask our objectors, what means that which is said by the Prophet, Before Me there was no God formed, nor is there any after Me? Isaiah 43:10 For if the Son is younger than the Father, how, says He, Nor is there any after me? Will you take away the being of the Only-Begotten Himself? You either must dare this, or admit one Godhead with distinct Persons of the Father and Son.

Finally, how could the expression, All things were made by Him,be true? For if there is an age older than He, how can that which was before Him have been made by Him? Do you see to what daring the argument has carried them, when once the truth has been unsettled? Why did not the Evangelist say, that He was made from things that were not, as Paul declares of all things, when he says, Who calls those things which be not as though they were; but says, Was in the beginning? Romans 4:17 This is contrary to that; and with good reason. For God neither is made, nor has anything older; these are words of the Greeks. Tell me this too: Would you not say, that the Creator beyond all comparison excels His works? Yet since that which is from things that were not is similar to them, where is the superiority not admitting of comparison? And what mean the expressions, I am the first and I am the last Isaiah 44:6; and, before Me was no other God formed?Isaiah 43:10 For if the Son be not of the same Essence, there is another God; and if He be not Co-eternal, He is after Him; and if He did not proceed from His Essence, clear it is that He was made. But if they assert, that these things were said to distinguish Him fromidols, why do they not allow that it is to distinguish Him from idolsthat he says, the Only True God? John 17:3 Besides, if this was said to distinguish Him from idols, how would you interpret the whole sentence? After Me, He says, is no other God. In saying this, He does not exclude the Son, but that After Me there is no idol God,not that there is no Son. Allowed, says he; what then? And the expression, Before Me was no other God formed, will you so understand, as that no idol God indeed was formed before Him, but yet a Son was formed before Him? What evil spirit would assert this? I do not suppose that even Satan himself would do so.

Moreover, if He be not Co-eternal with the Father, how can you say that His Life is infinite? For if it have a beginning from before,although it be endless, yet it is not infinite; for the infinite must beinfinite in both directions. As Paul also declared, when he said,Having neither beginning of days, nor end of life Hebrews 7:3; by this expression showing that He is both without beginning and without end. For as the one has no limit, so neither has the other. In one direction there is no end, in the other no beginning.

3. And how again, since He is Life, was there ever when He was not? For all must allow, that Life both is always, and is without beginning and without end, if It be indeed Life, as indeed It is. For if there be when It is not, how can It be the life of others, when It even Itself is not?

How then, says one, does John lay down a beginning by saying, 'In the beginning was'? Tell me, have you attended to the In the beginning, and to the was, and do you not understand the expression, the Word was? What! When the Prophet says, From everlasting and to everlasting You are Psalm 90:2, does he say this to assign Him limits? No, but to declare His Eternity. Consider now that the case is the same in this place. He did not use the expression as assigning limits, since he did not say, had a beginning, but was in the beginning; by the word was carrying you forward to the idea that the Son is without beginning. Yet observe, says he, the Father is named with the addition of the article, but the Son without it. What then, when the Apostle says,The Great God, and our Saviour Jesus Christ Titus 2:13; and again,Who is above all, God? Romans 9:5 It is true that here he has mentioned the Son, without the article; but he does the same with the Father also, at least in his Epistle to the Philippians Philippians 2:6, he says, Who being in the form of God, thought it not robberyto be equal with God; and again to the Romans, Grace to you, and peace, from God our Father, and the Lord Jesus Christ. Romans 1:7 Besides, it was superfluous for it to be attached in that place, when close above it was continually attached to the Word. For as in speaking concerning the Father, he says, God is a Spirit John 4:24, and we do not, because the article is not joined to Spirit, yet deny the Spiritual Nature of God; so here, although the article is not annexed to the Son, the Son is not on that account a less God. Why so? Because in saying God, and again God, he does notreveal to us any difference in this Godhead, but the contrary; for having before said, and the Word was God; that no one might suppose the Godhead of the Son to be inferior, he immediately adds the characteristics of genuine Godhead, including Eternity, (for He was, says he, in the beginning with God,) and attributing to Him the office of Creator. For by Him were all things made, and without Him was not anything made that was made; which His Father also everywhere by the Prophets declares to be especially characteristic of His own Essence. And the Prophets are continually busy on this kind of demonstration, not only of itself, but when they contend against the honor shown to idols; Let the gods perish, says onewho have not made heaven and earth Jeremiah 10:11: and again, I have stretched out the heaven with My hand Isaiah 44:24; and it is as declaring it to be indicative of Divinity, that He everywhere puts it. And the Evangelist himself was not satisfied with these words, but calls Him Life too and Light. If now He was ever with theFather, if He Himself created all things, if He brought all things intoexistence, and keeps together all things, (for, this he meant byLife,) if He enlightens all things, who so senseless as to say, that the Evangelist desired to teach an inferiority of Divinity by those very expressions, by which, rather than by any others, it is possible to express its equality and not differing? Let us not then confound the creation with the Creator, lest we too hear it said of us, thatthey served the creature rather than the Creator Romans 1:25; for although it be asserted that this is said of the heavens, still in speaking of the heavens he positively says, that we must not servethe creature, for it is a heathenish thing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

nomadictheist

Alive in Christ
Feb 8, 2014
Home
✟21,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I find it interesting that the many "alternative" viewpoints to the trinity that are offered are components of early gnostic heresies, which are refuted by St. Irenaeus very early in church history. I think many here would do well to read "against heresies," as this helps to give us a picture of what the early church believed on these matters.

Specifically, St. Irenaeus refuted the gnostic ideas that:

(1) Jesus was the first created entity (Against Heresies, Book I, Chapter IX)
(2) Jesus was not the Word (Against Heresies, Book I, Chapter IX)
(3) Jesus is another God (Against Heresies, Book I)
(4) Jesus is either God or Man, not both (Against Heresies, Book III, Chapter XVI-XIX)

Perhaps it should also be noted that the Gnostic sect leaders, against whose doctrine much of this is written, claimed to have received special knowledge and understanding from Jesus, by which they alone truly understood the scriptures.

Upvote 0

Goatee

Jesus, please forgive me, a sinner.
Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
Always a dangerous game to try and teach something new. I would be very concerned where those teachings were coming from. It could be very genuine for the person teaching new things but there might always be some evil underlying it that the teacher is unaware of. This is why it is always a good idea to seek spiritual director help.

Upvote 0

Wgw

Pray For Brussels!
May 24, 2015
✟15,107.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
I find it interesting that the many "alternative" viewpoints to the trinity that are offered are components of early gnostic heresies, which are refuted by St. Irenaeus very early in church history. I think many here would do well to read "against heresies," as this helps to give us a picture of what the early church believed on these matters.

(4) Jesus is either God or Man, not both (Against Heresies, Book III, Chapter XVI-XIX)

Perhaps it should also be noted that the Gnostic sect leaders, against whose doctrine much of this is written, claimed to have received special knowledge and understanding from Jesus, by which they alone truly understood the scriptures.

Indeed. Thank you also for this index of St. Irenaeus; I tend myself to simply refer to the Panarion of St. Epiphanius of Salamis, but this is helpful for refuting people who claim that Ss. Constantine or Athanasius unilaterally decreed the deity of our Lord.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

nomadictheist

Alive in Christ
Feb 8, 2014
Home
✟21,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Indeed. Thank you also for this index of St. Irenaeus; I tend myself to simply refer to the Panarion of St. Epiphanius of Salamis, but this is helpful for refuting people who claim that Ss. Constantine or Athanasius unilaterally decreed the deity of our Lord.
I like to go back as far as I can in most cases for precisely this reason...

Upvote 0

7xlightray

Jun 30, 2013
✟15,256.00
Faith
Christian

But don't you hear St. Irenaeus, for he teaches that there is one God the Father, and the only-begotten, who is also the Word of the Father. He doesn't just say Jesus is the Word, but that he is the Word of the Father Against Heresies Book III, Chapter 17.4; Book III, Chapter 18.6; Book III, Chapter 19.3. Is this not what I have been saying to you?

And he also tells us, His thought is Logos, and Logos is His mind, and is God the Father Himself. Is this not what I have been trying to declare to you...?

But God being all Mind, and all Logos, both speaks exactly what He thinks, and thinks exactly what He speaks. For His thought is Logos, and Logos is Mind, and Mind comprehending all things is the Father Himself. He, therefore, who speaks of the mind of God, and ascribes to it a special origin of its own, declares Him a compound Being, as if God were one thing, and the original Mind another” - Against Heresies Book II, Chapter 28.5 – should be read with Chapter 28.4.

And also goes on to say...

“But, beyond reason inflated [with your own wisdom], you presumptuously maintain that you are acquainted with the unspeakable mysteries of God; while even the Lord, the very Son of God, allowed that the Father alone knows the very day and hour of judgment, when He plainly declares, "But of that day and that hour knows no man, neither the Son, but the Father only." If, then, the Son was not ashamed to ascribe the knowledge of that day to the Father only, but declared what was true regarding the matter” - Against Heresies (Book II, Chapter 28.6).

And says...

I may succeed in persuading them to abandon such error, and to cease from blaspheming their Creator, who is both God alone, and the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. Amen. - Against Heresies (Book III, Chapter 25.7)

There are many others, but I'll just add these two...

Since, therefore, this is sure and steadfast, that no other God or Lord was announced by the Spirit, except Him who, as God, rules over all, together with His Word, and those who receive the Spirit of adoption, that is, those who believe in the one and true God, and in Jesus Christ the Son of God; and likewise that the apostles did of themselves term no one else as God, or name [no other] as Lord; and, what is much more important, [since it is true] that our Lord [acted likewise], who did also command us to confess no one as Father, except Him who is in the heavens, who is the one God and the one Father - Against Heresies (Book IV, Chapter 1.1)

This, therefore, having been clearly demonstrated here (and it shall yet be so still more clearly), that neither the prophets, nor the apostles, nor the Lord Christin His own person, did acknowledge any other Lord or God, but the God and Lord supreme: the prophets and the apostles confessing the Father and the Son; but naming no other as God, and confessing no other as Lord: and the Lord Himself handing down to His disciples, that He, the Father, is the only God and Lord, who alone is God and ruler of all. - Against Heresies (Book III, Chapter 9.1)

And putting it all together Against Heresies (Book II, Chapter 30.9), God the Father created all things through His Word and Wisdom. “He is the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ: through His Word, who is His Son, through Him He is revealed and manifested to all to whom He is revealed” Jesus is who and what he is, through the Word of God the Father. The Father is revealed through Jesus.

When you get this, at least somewhat straight, you'll know it's the truth.

Upvote 0

nomadictheist

Alive in Christ
Feb 8, 2014
Home
✟21,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
But don't you hear St. Irenaeus, for he teaches that there is one God the Father, and the only-begotten, who is also the Word of the Father. He doesn't just say Jesus is the Word, but that he is the Word of the Father Against Heresies Book III, Chapter 17.4; Book III, Chapter 18.6; Book III, Chapter 19.3. Is this not what I have been saying to you?

And he also tells us, His thought is Logos, and Logos is His mind, and is God the Father Himself. Is this not what I have been trying to declare to you...?

But God being all Mind, and all Logos, both speaks exactly what He thinks, and thinks exactly what He speaks. For His thought is Logos, and Logos is Mind, and Mind comprehending all things is the Father Himself. He, therefore, who speaks of the mind of God, and ascribes to it a special origin of its own, declares Him a compound Being, as if God were one thing, and the original Mind another” - Against Heresies Book II, Chapter 28.5 – should be read with Chapter 28.4.

“But, beyond reason inflated [with your own wisdom], you presumptuously maintain that you are acquainted with the unspeakable mysteries of God; while even the Lord, the very Son of God, allowed that the Father alone knows the very day and hour of judgment, when He plainly declares, "But of that day and that hour knows no man, neither the Son, but the Father only." If, then, the Son was not ashamed to ascribe the knowledge of that day to the Father only, but declared what was true regarding the matter” - Against Heresies (Book II, Chapter 28.6).

And says...

I may succeed in persuading them to abandon such error, and to cease from blaspheming their Creator, who is both God alone, and the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. Amen. - Against Heresies (Book III, Chapter 25.7)

Since, therefore, this is sure and steadfast, that no other God or Lord was announced by the Spirit, except Him who, as God, rules over all, together with His Word, and those who receive the Spirit of adoption, that is, those who believe in the one and true God, and in Jesus Christ the Son of God; and likewise that the apostles did of themselves term no one else as God, or name [no other] as Lord; and, what is much more important, [since it is true] that our Lord [acted likewise], who did also command us to confess no one as Father, except Him who is in the heavens, who is the one God and the one Father - Against Heresies (Book IV, Chapter 1.1)
This, therefore, having been clearly demonstrated here (and it shall yet be so still more clearly), that neither the prophets, nor the apostles, nor the Lord Christin His own person, did acknowledge any other Lord or God, but the God and Lord supreme: the prophets and the apostles confessing the Father and the Son; but naming no other as God, and confessing no other as Lord: and the Lord Himself handing down to His disciples, that He, the Father, is the only God and Lord, who alone is God and ruler of all. - Against Heresies (Book III, Chapter 9.1)

And putting it all together Against Heresies (Book II, Chapter 30.9), God the Father created all things through His Word and Wisdom. “He is the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ: through His Word, who is His Son, through Him He is revealed and manifested to all to whom He is revealed” Jesus is who and what he is, through the Word of God the Father. The Father is revealed through Jesus.

You quote it, and yet you still ignore it. Through His Word, who (not which) is His Son. Not which became His Son. Which is His son.

So this same Word through which the heavens and the earth were made is Jesus Christ, the Son.

And you have repeatedly said that Jesus Christ did not exist in any real sense until He was created. This is not what Irenaeus, John, or any of the apostles spoke.

Also, I can't help noticing that you ignore where St. Irenaeus says that God "being all mind, and all logos."

And once and for all you cannot take any of the Bible or the writings of the church fathers and pit it against the rest. The Bible says we have only one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom all things were created. That Jesus Christ was the Word (Irenaeus terms it the Word of the Father, but his understanding of this can be properly understood by his capitalization of the Word whenever he speaks in the context of the son). In book I, he demonstrates that Jesus is fully man and fully the Divine Word, that is God according to the gospel of John. The other books build on this. They don't contradict it.

But sadly, it seems you will not admit this.

To believe that Jesus is a created being is to disavow the word of God and the testimony of Jesus Himself, the church fathers (although you still do your best to take them out of context to say that somehow Jesus, who they declare to be the Word, who is declared to be God, is not God), and the apostles.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

nomadictheist

Alive in Christ
Feb 8, 2014
Home
✟21,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

And says...

But, as further evidence so that everyone can see that Irenaeus specifically says he believed Jesus to be God:

Book III, Chapter XXI.1
God, then, was made man, and the Lord did Himself save us, giving us the token of the Virgin...

And further, in "Proof of Apostolic Preaching," he writes:
Therefore the Father is Lord, and the Son is Lord, and the Father is God and the Son is God; for He who is born of God is God. And thus God is shown to be one according to the essence of His being in power; but at the same time, as the administrator of the economy of our redemption, He is both Father and Son: since the Father of all is invisible and inaccessible to creatures, it is through the Son that those who are to approach God must have access to the Father

But even earlier than this we have the testimony of Justin Martyr and of Ignatius of Antioch, both of whom testified to the deity of Jesus.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

“But God being all Mind, and all Logos, both speaks exactly what He thinks, and thinks exactly what He speaks. For His thought is Logos, and Logos is Mind, and Mind comprehending all things is the Father Himself. He, therefore, who speaks of the mind of God, and ascribes to it a special origin of its own, declares Him a compound Being, as if God were one thing, and the original Mind another” - Against Heresies Book II, Chapter 28.5 – should be read with Chapter 28.4.

And says...

I think it is you who needs to get this at least somewhat straight.

Irenaeus [A.D. 120-202.] Against Heresies.Book I.Chap. VIII
5 For “the beginning” is in the Father, and of the Father, while “the Word” is in the beginning, and of the beginning. Very properly, then, did he say, “In the beginning was the Word,” for He was in the Son; “and the Word was with God,” for He was the beginning; “and the Word was God,” of course, for that which is begotten of God is God.

Irenaeus Against Heresies. Book III. Chap. XXI.
4 Carefully, then, has the Holy Ghost pointed out, by what has been said, His birth from a virgin, and His essence, that He is God (for the name Emmanuel indicates this). And He shows that He is a man, when He says, “Butter and honey shall He eat;” and in that He terms Him a child also, [in saying,] “before He knows good and evil;” for these are all the tokens of a human infant. But that He “will not consent to evil, that He may choose that which is good,” — this is proper to God; that by the fact, that He shall eat butter and honey, we should not understand that He is a mere man only, nor, on the other hand, from the name Emmanuel, should suspect Him to be God without flesh.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.