Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Since marriage is not a sin, why were Catholic priests forced into such a precarious situation? Doesn't common sense tell us that most men who feel forced to accept such a situation will have trouble?

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
There are many reasons for this policy that dates back about a thousand years, but it's not really controversial theology. It's just a church policy that would pose no particular doctrinal problems if the RCC dropped it tomorrow. To be sure, she does have some married priests, even while that's not the case for most parishes.

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
There are many reasons for this policy that dates back about a thousand years, but it's not really controversial theology. It's just a church policy that would pose no particular doctrinal problems if the RCC dropped it tomorrow. To be sure, she does have some married priests, even while that's not the case for most parishes.

It's not controversial theology? That is news to me.

THE EVILS OF FORBIDDING MARRIAGE
“It is not good that the man should be alone. I will make a helpmeet for him.” (Gen. 2:18)
http://www.olanhicks.com/?page_id=940

Just recently a well-known Latino priest who had officiated at a famous Cuban singer's funeral was filmed by a paparazzi at the beach with a woman who was obviously his mistress and a very serious scandal broke out. He ultimately chose to leave the priesthood and join a denomination which allows its priests to marry.
http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/06/17/father.cutie.married/index.html

Unmarried priests also aren't officially severely condemned if they secretly have a mistress. They are only condemned if they marry. That goes completely contrary to what the Bible teaches about the avoidance of fornication.

So it is definitely a doctrinal issue whether the Catholic Church wants to admit it or not.

BTW
There was a British film called the Thornbirds about a priest who fell in love with a girl and it finally resulted in a child out of wedlock which he never knew about until the son grew into adulthood and subsequent the son's tragic death.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It's not controversial theology? That is news to me.
It's not a doctrine that anyone must be celibate. It's just a policy of the church that their priests be celibate.

Just recently a well-known Latino priest who had officiated at a famous Cuban singer's funeral was filmed by a paparazzi at the beach with a woman who was obviously his mistress and a very serious scandal broke out. He ultimately chose to leave the priesthood and join a denomination which allows its priests to marry.
http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/06/17/father.cutie.married/index.html

Unmarried priests also aren't officially severely condemned if they secretly have a mistress.
This kind of thing is not about being celibate; it's about sex outside of marriage which isn't authorized simply because a person chooses to remain unmarried.

Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
It's not a doctrine that anyone must be celibate. It's just a policy of the church that their priests be celibate.

This kind of thing is not about being celibate; it's about sex outside of marriage which isn't authorized simply because a person chooses to remain unmarried.

Policy, tradition, custom, it's all the same. If it goes contrary to the Word of God then it is wrong. The scripture states that in later times some would forbid to marry and classifies that idea as demon-inspired, a departing from the faith, associates it with a seared conscience, etc

1 Timothy 4:1-3 One of the strongest condemnations found anywhere in scripture is here in what this passage says about the doctrine of forbidding marriage. Please note that it comes from God. This is not a personal opinion on my part. The inspired apostle Paul says here that the Spirit ( Spirit of God) expressly predicted that in latter times some brethren would do five things. 1. depart from the faith, 2. give heed to deceiving spirits and doctrines of demons, 3. speak lies in hypocrisy, 4. have a seared conscience, and 5. forbid people to marry and command to abstain from foods.

This is strong language. Yet most people have never realized how evil this particular doctrine is. Consider now the evil deeds this text says are done by people who forbid marriage.

http://www.olanhicks.com/?page_id=940

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Policy, tradition, custom, it's all the same.
Those might be the same, but the issue concerned doctrine. If celibacy is one's free decision and the church is not saying that the married state is less than the unmarried state, there's no doctrinal issue at stake.

If it goes contrary to the Word of God then it is wrong.
There's nothing in this that goes contrary to the Word of God, but you are determined not to listen to that, I see now.

The scripture states that in later times some would forbid to marry and classifies that idea as demon-inspired, a departing from the faith, associates it with a seared conscience, etc
No church member is being forbidden to marry. However, the church made it an administrative policy for some of its priests. If you don't want to be celibate, you don't seek ordination in those particular Catholic churches.

Last edited:
Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

Thursday

Jan 12, 2016
Texas
✟49,429.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Since marriage is not a sin, why were Catholic priests forced into such a precarious situation? Doesn't common sense tell us that most men who feel forced to accept such a situation will have trouble?

Paul explains it here. Catholic celibacy is the norm, but there are exceptions.

This seems consistent with the bible:

1 Cor 7
32I would like you to be free from concern. An unmarried man is concerned about the Lord’s affairs—how he can please the Lord. 33But a married man is concerned about the affairs of this world—how he can please his wife— 34and his interests are divided. An unmarried woman or virgin is concerned about the Lord’s affairs: Her aim is to be devoted to the Lord in both body and spirit. But a married woman is concerned about the affairs of this world—how she can please her husband. 35I am saying this for your own good, not to restrict you, but that you may live in a right way in undivided devotion to the Lord.

36If anyone is worried that he might not be acting honorably toward the virgin he is engaged to, and if his passions are too strongb and he feels he ought to marry, he should do as he wants. He is not sinning. They should get married. 37But the man who has settled the matter in his own mind, who is under no compulsion but has control over his own will, and who has made up his mind not to marry the virgin—this man also does the right thing. 38So then, he who marries the virgin does right, but he who does not marry her does better.c

Upvote 0

AvilaSurfer

Supporter
May 14, 2015
NO
✟928,396.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Nobody's forcing anyone. It's a stipulation and a vow they take. They know this going in. It's not like it's a surprise.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟583,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I was taught that God is able to make a man able to stay single, if God has chosen him to be a Catholic priest. If you are not able, then don't become a Catholic priest.

In Christ, we do have the gift of celibacy, and it is not forced on someone, nor is it hard. Paul says he wishes that all men were like him > 1 Corinthians 7:7 < to me, this verse means that celibacy and holy matrimony are gifts of God. And Paul was so deeply fulfilled as a celibate, that he wished that all men were like him.

I would say I have sampled that God's love is perfectly satisfying with almighty power to make it easy to stay single and moral, including in my mind. The fruit of the Holy Spirit, ones understand, includes self-control; and if this is in the fruit of the Holy Spirit, it is sweet and gentle and humble, not a struggle of self-imposed trying.

And I will offer that God does not give anyone a drive to want sex with someone the person does not belong with; because God's drives are in His love with His honest perception and guiding. But we all were born in sin, with lusts for pleasure; and these lusts can drive men and women crazy for sexual sensation which is a very nice-feeling and intense treasure for ones who are not being deeply fulfilled in God's love.

But God's love is better, including nicer-feeling . . . in Heaven's own goodness > Psalm 63:3, Psalm 16:11, 1 Timothy 6:17. Paul says that in God's grace he takes "pleasure" . . . during "infirmities", "reproaches", "needs", "persecutions", and "distresses". I see he means how God's grace is the effect of God's own Heaven-quality love in us, perfectly satisfying us even during hard things of circumstance.

So, in God's love it is easy to do without toys for boys stuff. Every Christian needs to grow up, married or single. We, if married, need to mature so we are ready for real loving when our bodies might not be able to do sexual things. And if we do things in God's grace, "you will find rest for your souls." (in Matthew 11:28-30)

But a number of Catholic men possibly have become priests without first maturing in God's grace of celibacy. If they have not learned how to walk with Jesus so they have "rest for your souls", you should not judge celibacy by their failure.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟583,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Nobody's forcing anyone. It's a stipulation and a vow they take. They know this going in. It's not like it's a surprise.
And yet ones have come out and claimed they have been so abused by not being able to marry. So, it would be interesting to go through a re-run of what has really been going on in each of these men's minds . . . starting from when they were clearly told what is the Catholic celibacy thing, to what they were thinking during their at least six years of seminary when they were hearing about this, and to what ever they now are really thinking while claiming they should be allowed to marry.
Each person is unique, though; so I would say each one's mind would reveal some unique things :idea:

Reactions: tatteredsoul
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Thursday

Jan 12, 2016
Texas
✟49,429.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
And yet ones have come out and claimed they have been so abused by not being able to marry. So, it would be interesting to go through a re-run of what has really been going on in each of these men's minds . . . starting from when they were clearly told what is the Catholic celibacy thing, to what they were thinking during their at least six years of seminary when they were hearing about this, and to what ever they now are really thinking while claiming they should be allowed to marry.
Each person is unique, though; so I would say each one's mind would reveal some unique things :idea:

You could say the same thing about adultery.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

These are usually men who thought the priesthood was their destiny and that they'd be fine doing without marriage. Then the pastorate turned out to be a little more routine than they had pictured it before ordination and they began to think twice about doing without sex, having a life partner, etc. etc. I can understand that; talking like someone "done you wrong" just because you had a change of heart is harder for me to sympathize with.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟583,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
@Albion Paul says,

"Test all things; hold fast what is good." (1 Thessalonians 5:21)

I think God means for us to test, as we go along . . . certainly not to stake our whole future on how we are able to make a decision while we are still immature.

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I was taught that God is able to make a man able to stay single, if God has chosen him to be a Catholic priest. If you are not able, then don't become a Catholic priest.

In Christ, we do have the gift of celibacy, and it is not forced on someone, nor is it hard. Paul says he wishes that all men were like him > 1 Corinthians 7:7 < to me, this verse means that celibacy and holy matrimony are gifts of God. And Paul was so deeply fulfilled as a celibate, that he wished that all men were like him.

I would say I have sampled that God's love is perfectly satisfying with almighty power to make it easy to stay single and moral, including in my mind. The fruit of the Holy Spirit, ones understand, includes self-control; and if this is in the fruit of the Holy Spirit, it is sweet and gentle and humble, not a struggle of self-imposed trying.

And I will offer that God does not give anyone a drive to want sex with someone the person does not belong with; because God's drives are in His love with His honest perception and guiding. But we all were born in sin, with lusts for pleasure; and these lusts can drive men and women crazy for sexual sensation which is a very nice-feeling and intense treasure for ones who are not being deeply fulfilled in God's love.

But God's love is better, including nicer-feeling . . . in Heaven's own goodness > Psalm 63:3, Psalm 16:11, 1 Timothy 6:17. Paul says that in God's grace he takes "pleasure" . . . during "infirmities", "reproaches", "needs", "persecutions", and "distresses". I see he means how God's grace is the effect of God's own Heaven-quality love in us, perfectly satisfying us even during hard things of circumstance.

So, in God's love it is easy to do without toys for boys stuff. Every Christian needs to grow up, married or single. We, if married, need to mature so we are ready for real loving when our bodies might not be able to do sexual things. And if we do things in God's grace, "you will find rest for your souls." (in Matthew 11:28-30)

But a number of Catholic men possibly have become priests without first maturing in God's grace of celibacy. If they have not learned how to walk with Jesus so they have "rest for your souls", you should not judge celibacy by their failure.

Thanks for the explanation!

Yes, I am aware of Paul's words concerning his chosen celibate lifestyle and that he wished that all were like him-able to concentrate all attention on the ministry. He also said that marriage can distract from the ministry by making the married ones more concerned with pleasing one another than pleasing the Lord. The Bible also speaks of those who make themselves eunuchs in order to serve the Lord. So this isn't what is being condemned when the scripture mentions the forbidding to marry and neither is it what I am criticizing.

What is being criticized is the DEMAND that in order to be a spiritual shepherd of God's flock in charge of a church in the CC one must be celibate. Nowhere in the NT do we find that as a requirement. Either you be celibate or never qualify for a position as a pastor of the church.

That priest who was caught and fomented a scandal finally was a forced to become a Presbyterians minister in order to be a pastor in church. This of course required that he abandon all that he had cherished as spiritually precious for decades and leave the church he had considered the true church. Why the pressure to do so when there is no scriptural basis for it?

Reactions: fat wee robin
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
@Albion Paul says,

"Test all things; hold fast what is good." (1 Thessalonians 5:21)

I think God means for us to test, as we go along . . . certainly not to stake our whole future on how we are able to make a decision while we are still immature.
Well, there's nothing to prevent anyone from leaving the priesthood. The issue in that last post was about those who make the decision to enter it under the stipulated conditions and promise to abide by them--then want them changed and blame the church for having done something to them wrongly.

This celibacy thing may be a bad or outdated policy, but it's not a violation of anything scriptural.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟583,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
pleasing the Lord
One thing I might keep seeing is how people are mainly concerned about what they can and can't do . . . not first being about pleasing God. And while I am at it, I consider >

"rather let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the incorruptible beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is very precious in the sight of God." (1 Peter 3:4)

By being gentle and quiet in God's love, we can be pleasing to our Heavenly Father the way Jesus is. And do what He has us doing in sharing with Him in His love.

What is being criticized is the DEMAND that in order to be a spiritual shepherd of God's flock in charge of a church in the CC one must be celibate. Nowhere in the NT do we find that as a requirement. Either you be celibate or never qualify for a position as a pastor of the church.
This celibacy thing may be a bad or outdated policy, but it's not a violation of anything scriptural.
I think our Apostle Paul is very clear about who qualifies to be just considered for ordination to "take care of the church of God" > 1 Timothy 3:1-10. So, if any individual takes it on oneself to refuse to accept a man whom God has qualified to pastor . . . that individual is refusing a pastor whom God has chosen. And Paul is clear that God wants married men who have been proven at home, first, in their own marriages with their own children. So, if God has prepared and approved such a family man, but certain individuals take it on themselves to reject a pastor whom Jesus has chosen, then they have refused Jesus Himself. And in the darkness of such rebellion these individuals can have very darkened perception when evaluating candidates for ministry; they can even suppose that predators and con artists are qualified to be pastors! In their darkness of disobedience, they can do this!

There are individuals in various groups, who are rushing people through seminary and they are not evaluating candidates by God's standards. And so, we see many problems in various denominational and independent churches, because of their not making sure with God.

That priest who was caught and fomented a scandal finally was a forced to become a Presbyterians minister in order to be a pastor in church. This of course required that he abandon all that he had cherished as spiritually precious for decades and leave the church he had considered the true church. Why the pressure to do so when there is no scriptural basis for it?
Well, possibly he did not consider being moral to be "spiritually precious". If he considered the Roman Catholic church to be the true church, then I would think he would consider her moral standards to be desirable and legitimate.

Like I say . . . it might be interesting to have a replay of what really was going on in his mind before and during seminary and then while ones thought he was a pastor. I have been told how certain candidates were kind of pushed onto the seminaries, with hopes that the priesthood would straighten them out.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟583,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Does it not make sense that an unmarried man is less expensive,if they were married they would need to be paid more to care for their family.....follow the money.
I think I read that in earlier Roman Catholic history they had married priests. And the priest in a poor area might have a dozen children and the poor parishioners would be burdened with supporting them. So, they changed to celibate priests.

But Paul says to ordain family men who have been proven in their own home first > 1 Timothy 3:1-10. To me, this means a man who has learned how to support himself and live as a family man; he would know how to care for God's people in a family way, not in a distant and authoritarian way, but by feeding his good example >

"nor as being lords over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock." (1 Peter 5:3)

I see how before he is ordained, he and his wife would mature in how to relate in their marriage and care for their family; and as they mature in this, their cup runs over to help other married people, showing that he and his wife can help other people in real life. Being ordained, then, could mainly mean he is recognized as a person who represents Christianity. His example would minister; he would not be spending a lot of time in personal counseling and trying to control things, but people can learn from his example and simply listen to whatever he says during a sermon and do what he says. And he would be working, like anyone else.

By the way . . . Paul a celibate worked enough to support those who were with him . . . Acts 20:32-35 < Paul did all his ministering while also working enough to support others who were with him. I see how in God's grace Paul was strong enough and led in detail by God so he could fit it all together. God could creatively guide Paul so Paul did work and prayer and ministering, without burning out > "you will find rest for your souls" > in Matthew 11:28-30.

In all that Paul went through and was doing, Paul had time for being with God in prayer time; because Paul was obeying how God took care of him in grace. But ones do not obey how our Father would take care of us; and so we, in trying to control and manage our own selves, just can't do it.

Colossians 3:15

But if someone is not mature in grace and its example . . . well, I would say we all need to deal with however we our own selves are lacking in this, instead of only pointing at how some group of people we don't even know might be wrong.

I can see how a number of pastors now are very involved in politics, meetings, building management, and other items not actually involved in caring for God's people. A number can be administrators, and not really pastors. Ones have been taught a lot of seminary theory about people; it can be hard to practically counsel people to fit with their humanly taught ideas, worthy just tell people they are ok the way they are, or that their deep problems have nothing to do with sin and therefore God is not concerned with correcting their personality troubles. And certain ones might have to work pretty hard to get together a message. And it can be a major disruption of their schedule to have a midweek service with Bible study and prayer. But they can be well trained in pointing out how others are mistaken.

1 Peter 4:17

Last edited:
Reactions: victorinus
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I think I read that in earlier Roman Catholic history they had married priests. And the priest in a poor area might have a dozen children and the poor parishioners would be burdened with supporting them. So, they changed to celibate priests.

The change occurred about a thousand years ago and seems to relate to several different factors. For one, a monastic reform movement that had much influence over the rest of the church had called for priestly commitment and discipline more like monks were supposed to experience. Also, the matter of inheritances, property rights, and so on for families of priests was an issue. And then too, the image of women was not very high at that point in history, with them being seen more like today's Muslims see women, rather than as helpmates or as a man's "better half." (A couple of hundred years later, this had completely reversed and they were seen as pure beings and objects of devotion a la the code of chivalry, courtly love, and all of that.)

Reactions: fat wee robin
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟583,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
@Albion Thank you :) And yet, Mary the mother of Jesus was regarded pretty highly.

I think part of the problem is how we might not be able to know a real woman when we see one; and so - - since we are down, we try to bring women down. But David did better than this, when Abigail intercepted him and straightened him out > 1 Samuel 25. But there are men who are afraid of being shown up. Ones might hide in monasteries. Others might make Mary so high that Jesus answers to her, but they dare not deal directly with and themselves answer to real women, and they might try to keep women under their control . . . though Peter does say >

"nor as being lords over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock." (1 Peter 5:3)

I think of how Paul and Silvanus and Timothy say they related with the Thessalonians >

"But we were gentle among you, just as a nursing mother cherishes her own children." (1 Thessalonians 2:7)

Now how would they know they were relating with the Thessalonians the way "a nursing mother cherishes her own children"? I would say because they had spent time with nursing Christian mothers, and they were inspired by those ladies, about how they themselves needed to relate personally and tenderly with the people of God . . . not with distant and mainly or only public gestures of love. So, those nursing mothers were role models for Paul who was not married. He could get the main thing a wife could give to him, then, of helping him to learn how to love, though he was not married.

Upvote 0