Why teach creationism in public school science classes?

Pete Harcoff

PeteAce - In memory of WinAce
Jun 30, 2002
✟9,874.00
Faith
Other Religion
Northern Christian said:
FACT: Each cell must come from another cell. How is evolution possible, since there were no cells on the earth originally? IE, where did the first cell come from if God did not put it there?

What you are talking about it the origin of life, which the Theory of Evolution does not cover. All is that is required for evolution is that life exists and makes imperfect copies of itself.

Upvote 0

Northern Christian

Saved by the Grace of God
Jun 28, 2003
Visit site
✟1,211.00
Faith
Baptist
Pete Harcoff said:
What you are talking about is (sic) the origin of life, which the Theory of Evolution does not cover. All is that is required for evolution is that life exists and makes imperfect copies of itself.
I asked how evolution was possible without a first cell, and you obviously were not able to answer.

Upvote 0

Pete Harcoff

Jun 30, 2002
✟9,874.00
Faith
Other Religion
Northern Christian said:
I asked how evolution was possible without a first cell, and you obviously were not able to answer.

The Theory of Evolution requires life. Without life, evolution is not possible. However, the Theory of Evolution does not govern where the first life came from. Whether it forms from natural processes here on Earth, was poofed into existence by a divine being or placed here by E.T.'s, it does not matter.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mechanical Bliss

Secrecy and accountability cannot co-exist.
Nov 3, 2002
A^2
Visit site
✟21,365.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Democrat
Northern Christian said:
Of course Creationism should be taught in schools!

Maybe a day should be taken out so it should be taught as it is: bad science. It would give students insight into what is science and how claims are falsified. It might be a good exercise that would give students valuable critical thinking skills.

It's the only theory on the origins of reality that has evidence to support it.

Then present that evidence.

We could teach evolution in public schools, but it would take forever to teach all of the facts that refute it. ;)

There are none. Unless of course you can substantiate your claim, you might as well retract it.

Upvote 0

Mechanical Bliss

Secrecy and accountability cannot co-exist.
Nov 3, 2002
A^2
Visit site
✟21,365.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Democrat
Northern Christian said:
But how did life originate on its own, without a God to start it?

This does not substantiate a positive claim that your specific god concept exists much less any god concept at all. Similarly Greeks, Romans, and Egyptians, for example, all had conceptualizations of gods that could be inserted into the gaps of their knowledge. That we don't know all the details of abiogenesis (it is a hypothesis, not a scientific theory as evolution is) does not necessitate the existence of any deity.

Furthermore, nothing you have said has any bearing on the veracity of the theory of evolution.

Upvote 0
Ello Ello dearies! My first post! YAY :D hehe. well anyway- these days it seems like science is a religion to some- so why not teach creationism. Also in my biology class what they taught was blinding. I was so confused in learning the things that when i looked it up or read up on many of the things that they taught it was like a completly different perspective. Then they told us its to show the other way to think- but why not show all the ways?

Upvote 0

Pete Harcoff

Jun 30, 2002
✟9,874.00
Faith
Other Religion
Candy Bar said:
Ello Ello dearies! My first post! YAY :D hehe. well anyway- these days it seems like science is a religion to some- so why not teach creationism. Also in my biology class what they taught was blinding. I was so confused in learning the things that when i looked it up or read up on many of the things that they taught it was like a completly different perspective. Then they told us its to show the other way to think- but why not show all the ways?

Because creationism, as science, was falsified a couple hundred years ago. You might as well teach the Sun orbits around the Earth or that the Earth is flat.

Upvote 0

euphoric

He hates these cans!!
Jun 22, 2002
Visit site
✟8,271.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Northern Christian said:

He did answer. The answer is "it's not." Evolution requires that life exist and be able to reproduce itself. The origin of life on earth is abiogenesis. An entirely different discussion. Now tell us all about your great piles of evidence for a young earth. It is after all the only model with any evidence to support it. Wow us with how wrong the entire scientific community has been for two centuries.

-brett

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Cantuar

Forever England
Jul 15, 2002
Visit site
✟8,889.00
Faith
Agnostic
FACT: Each cell must come from another cell. How is evolution possible, since there were no cells on the earth originally? IE, where did the first cell come from if God did not put it there?

OK, so for the sake of argument, say God DID put it there. Exactly how does that refute evolution?

Upvote 0

Kyubi-no-Youko

Jun 25, 2003
✟202.00
I agree. CreationISM should not be taught in a SCIENCE class. An English class, sure, but not science.

Why? Creationism isn't science. I have no problem with it being in schools...along with all the other Creation stories. But we should put it where it belongs. Science deals with facts, evidence, and logic. Not miracles.

Upvote 0

LaserCool

Homo Sapiens Invictus
Jun 25, 2003
Miami, FL
Visit site
✟15,780.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I'd like to open another front on this discussion, and not get bogged down in the devil of the details.

The question I have isn't if creationism should be taught, by why would Christians want it done.

I believe that the fundmentalists want a forum for conversion, and they want it on the public dime. Clearly, they agree that science, as repulsive as they find it, has clout, because it works. People generally listen to scientists, they see the results, and they follow the logic and it makes sense.

Science has given humanity far more than religion ever has: the power to make thier own lives more fruitful, comfortable, productive and happier than any time in history. We can fly, go to the moon, cure diseases that ravaged civilizations and save lives that would have been lost before.

In short, science makes us more like Gods.

So obvioulsy, fundamentalists want a place on the platform. They want the legitimacy of science to rub off and make thier own hogwash seemingly as legitimate. No surprise, they did the same thing in the past with kings and princes, converting a ruler to convert the masses.

They want in on the action.

Having thier own tax-free churches isn't enough, because people are free to come or go as they wish. Church attendance is declining, and they can't fill the pews. People seem to have this idea that they can decide for themselves if the religion of thier fathers is worth practicing. They need something to make people believe. They need something compulsory. Something like compulsory public education.

So it comes as no surprise that they try to marginalize science into a "religion", a "belief system", to make it seem more like an opinion to people, so they might then claim a "rightful" place on the dais with science. It would be a coup equivalent to the legitamacy Constantine gave them, that somehow they could use the "magic" of science to make people believe. Especially those too young to deicide for themselves, and forced by government to be indoctrinated.

So I oppose the public schooling in creationism, even as example. They have thier churches, let them preach there. I'm not willing to give them time and space on the public dime, to encourage the further propagation of nonsense.

Upvote 0