Why so much negativity towards the Jehovah Witnesses?

Kcame30

Aug 13, 2015
✟7,615.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
My sister in law is a Jehovah Witness (she had a recent baptism) and my brother is so furious that she decided to take that spiritual path. He’s a non-denomination Christian who has no positive feelings towards Jehovah Witnesses. It’s a strong negative division in their home. My Sister in law, nephew and niece attend the kingdom hall while my brother and other niece attend a local church. My family on my brother side is taking “sides” with my brother. I’ve heard stories of how my family has been disrespectful and rude to my family that attend the Kingdom Hall.
I will never convert but I attended a few Kingdom Hall congregations to see what all the fuss was about. I know they have different beliefs but I happened to enjoy going to the Kingdom Hall. I learned more about the bible there then I did my whole life in the church. There are other things that they teach that I never learned in a church.
I feel my brother has something against me since I feel much closer to my sister in law. His negative energy has really turned me off. What is the big deal? Why so much hate?

Gentle Lamb

"Let there be sheep!"
Supporter
Jul 18, 2009
✟267,705.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Part of my family is JW and they don't speak to us. This is because of their belief system. It's on the part of JW that as they indoctrinate believers, they alienate them from their families. I think your brother's negative energy mainly stems from his knowledge of this and fear of what will happen to his family. Please look much deeper into JW, they are not what they seem. No true branch of Christianity that is rooted in Jesus Christ, who alone is the way, the truth, and the life and the only way to get to heaven or to our Heavenly Father, will ever tell anyone to shun their family members for non-belief. A JW believer may also be shunned from the community if their leaders are not happy with their actions. JW are all over where I live, passing out tracts and inviting people to meetings - however, these people are paid to do this. This is wrong. It's basically a way for people to make some money, and this is not how we should distribute the gospel. The gospel is spread through the way Christians live, speak, act, etc. which is what should draw others to Christ. Not through knocking on doors and distributing tracts that they are being paid to give out. Please please do research on both sides of JW - people who have been affected by it and have gotten away from it as well as what their actual belief system is. Again, only Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life, and the minute you ask Jesus to come live in your heart then you have begun a relationship with your Heavenly Father, that is all you need. There are many sects of "Christianity" out there that need to be avoided and JW is just one. But it is affecting your family and deserves a closer look from you so that you have a deeper understanding of the issues involved with it.

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
The immaturity can go both ways. But as to the JWs, be careful. They have Bible knowledge, but it's twisted. They make enough sense to be very attractive, and much of their criticisms of the church have some validity. But it's ironic that in what they criticize they are even worse, particularly in terms of authoritarianism and doctrinalism. I say this having come up through the JWs. I never joined, but I studied for quite a while and was friends with one, a very nice guy. I left finally after I had gotten tired of the canned question/answer studies, and the dead block-chord music. I'm a musician, and I knew that the God of life is in living, not dead, music, that touches the soul.

The last interaction I had with them was with two who came to my door. One was an accomplished speaker at their conventions, and I had him tied in knots. The other was a newbie learning the ropes. When it was over the leader stomped off, but the trainee smiled and shook my hand before leaving. He knew that what I said was said in the right spirit, whether he was sure of the actual doctrine or not.

No one should be hated for their doctrine. Depending on what they do with it, that can be difficult at times. It took me a long time to shake off the residue of their teachings, especially concerning the lordship of Christ, but eventually I did with God's help.

Reactions: Gentle Lamb
Upvote 0

Odetta

Thankful for grace
Jan 24, 2014
Georgia
✟32,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Their New World Translation bible has a critical change from traditional versions (NASB, KJV, NKJV, ESV, NAS, RSV, HCSB, etc.) in John 1:1 that negates the divinity of Jesus. Traditional versions say "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God," Word meaning Jesus and "Word was God" being the critical phrase. Their version says "..and the Word was a god." Big difference which ultimately puts the whole concept of salvation through Jesus Christ in question. False doctrine should not inspire hatred, but neither should it be believed or accepted as truth. I understand why your BIL is so upset, actually. No one wants the people they love to believe false teaching.

Upvote 0

Dialogist

Jul 22, 2015
✟8,545.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
My sister in law is a Jehovah Witness (she had a recent baptism) and my brother is so furious that she decided to take that spiritual path. He’s a non-denomination Christian who has no positive feelings towards Jehovah Witnesses. It’s a strong negative division in their home. My Sister in law, nephew and niece attend the kingdom hall while my brother and other niece attend a local church. My family on my brother side is taking “sides” with my brother. I’ve heard stories of how my family has been disrespectful and rude to my family that attend the Kingdom Hall.
I will never convert but I attended a few Kingdom Hall congregations to see what all the fuss was about. I know they have different beliefs but I happened to enjoy going to the Kingdom Hall. I learned more about the bible there then I did my whole life in the church. There are other things that they teach that I never learned in a church.
I feel my brother has something against me since I feel much closer to my sister in law. His negative energy has really turned me off. What is the big deal? Why so much hate?

Jehovah's Witness are essentially neo-Arians who do not accept the Divinity of Christ. That having been said, there is no reason to be angry with them or anyone else that does not conform to our beliefs, in my opinion. How could someone be attracted to the religion of anyone who shows them anger rather than love?

Upvote 0
Jun 14, 2009
✟14,916.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
My sister in law, is also a Jehovah Witness. The main thing to remember, is that their Bible, was printed and created about the 1960. Our Bible has been here for about at least 3000 years. Their Bible has different passages from ours. Our Bible is confirmed by history itself, but their Bible, is confirmed only by the one who established that cult of Jehovah Witness.

Reactions: Gentle Lamb
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums