Why not have a sub heading for different Baptist Denominations?

farout

Standing firm for Christ
Nov 23, 2015
Mid West of the good USA
✟14,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
There a few Baptist denominations that are large enough to have sub headings under Baptists, there are Southern, American, General, Conservative, and Independent, yet all of these are grouped under "Baptist" and there are huge differences among them. Would it be possible to make some divisions?

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,534.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
There a few Baptist denominations that are large enough to have sub headings under Baptists, there are Southern, American, General, Conservative, and Independent, yet all of these are grouped under "Baptist" and there are huge differences among them. Would it be possible to make some divisions?
If they did that who would I have to argue with? ;)

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Romans 12:2…be transformed…
Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,264,086.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
This is true within pretty much every denominational heading. What can be done is write the particular sub-heading in your 'custom title' expression that appears under your username.

Upvote 0

farout

Standing firm for Christ
Nov 23, 2015
Mid West of the good USA
✟14,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This is true within pretty much every denominational heading. What can be done is write the particular sub-heading in your 'custom title' expression that appears under your username.

I have no idea what you means. Could you explain a little more?

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Romans 12:2…be transformed…
Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,264,086.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I have no idea what you means. Could you explain a little more?
Under your username farout you have written 'This world is not my home.' You can change that to your sub-heading.

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον
Jul 19, 2005
Gastonia N.C. (Piedmont of N.C.)
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
When I was on staff, this came up a number of times.

Fact is, if we were to do that, the Baptist area may have up to some 20 different "sub-areas".

As it is, there are only two "basic" Baptist areas, Anabaptist, and Baptist.

And as it has been suggested, if you want to ask a question and only want answers from a certain group of Baptists, then add to your subject line: i.e.: Independent Baptists Only.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

Jul 19, 2005
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I dont really see that division I only see some major difference between free will and reformed baptists.
Baptists are not just american you know.

Have you ever heard of Bapticostals?

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

Jul 19, 2005
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
No, Baptists and Pentecostals do not "share" the same church.

Bapticostals are a legitmate group who practice the same beliefs as Baptists and Pentecostals.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DeaconDean

Jul 19, 2005
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The Bapticostal movement is a movement in some Baptist churches towards adopting certain elements of the charismatic movement. The word Bapticostal is a combination of Baptist and Pentecostal. The term has been used in a limited manner to describe a worship style of high-tempo Contemporary Christian music accompanied with spontaneous shouts, clapping and hand raising. But it also describes those churches where members profess to have and exhibit the charismatic gifts that are practiced in Pentecostalism such as speaking in tongues, being slain in the Spirit, or being granted a word of knowledge.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bapticostal_movement

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,865.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
The charismatic movement has been going on since the 70s so its not new.

To me most baptists arent unfamiliar with the gifts of the spirit, so, its not really an issue and no need to separate themselves. There's plenty of baptist churches operating in the gifts, some are more open than others.

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

Jul 19, 2005
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I've been a Baptist since the late 1960's, and I have never been to a Bapticostal Church.

In fact, it wasn't until I was in seminary school that I learned there was such a thing.

And the fact is, according to Baptist beliefs in America since the 1740's, speaking in tongues, or being slain in the spirit has not been recognized as a Baptist belief.

Read the statement of Faith for this area.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DeaconDean

Jul 19, 2005
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I just told you I never heard of a bapticostal church and then you go on arguing there is one. Sorry, if you just arguing for the sake of it, let it go.

You said:

baptists plus pentecostals sharing the same church maybe.

I was merely showing you they don't.

I'm trying to make you see that according to the OP's original post, that if we granted separate "sub-areas" for the various "Baptists" then there would a long list of areas.

In fact, when I first joined the forums, the Anabaptists and Baptists were the only two here and they shared the same but separate area until they created a separate area just for them.

In fact, if we created separate areas for the various Baptist groups, you would have to include, Independents, Free-Will, Landmarkers, etc, just to name a few.

My "Gift" is that I am a teacher. You said you have never heard of them, I was just teaching.

If that offended, then I apologize.

Oh well, nuff said.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Last edited:
Upvote 0