Why Must The Flood Be Global And Not Local? Checking The Hebrew!

random person

1 COR. 10:11; HEB. 1:2; HEB. 9:26,28; 1 PET. 1:20
Dec 10, 2013
Riverside California
✟14,087.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
1. adamah (#127)

Definition

ground, land
  1. ground (as general, tilled, yielding sustenance)
  2. piece of ground, a specific plot of land
  3. earth substance (for building or constructing)
  4. ground as earth's visible surface
  5. land, territory, country
  6. whole inhabited earth
  7. city in Naphtali

Genesis passages that use the word adamah (through to the Tower of Babel):

Genesis 1:25; Genesis 2:7; Genesis 2:9; Genesis 2:19; Genesis 3:17; Genesis 3:19; Genesis 3:23; Genesis 4:3; Genesis 4:11-12; Genesis 4:14; Genesis 5:29; Genesis 6:1; Genesis 6:7; Genesis 6:20; Genesis 7:23; Genesis 8:13; Genesis 8:21; Genesis 9:2; Genesis 9:20;

http://www.biblestudytools.com/lexicons/hebrew/kjv/adamah.html#

_____

2. erets (#776)

Definition

land, earth
  1. earth
    1. whole earth (as opposed to a part)
    2. earth (as opposed to heaven)
    3. earth (inhabitants)
  2. land
    1. country, territory
    2. district, region
    3. tribal territory
    4. piece of ground
    5. land of Canaan, Israel
    6. inhabitants of land
    7. Sheol, land without return, (under) world
    8. city (-state)
  3. ground, surface of the earth
    1. ground
    2. soil
  4. (in phrases)
    1. people of the land
    2. space or distance of country (in measurements of distance)
    3. level or plain country
    4. land of the living
    5. end(s) of the earth
  5. (almost wholly late in usage)
    1. lands, countries 1e
  6. often in contrast to Canaan
Genesis passages that use the word erets (through to the Tower of Babel):

Genesis 1:2; Genesis 1:10-12; Genesis 1:15; Genesis 1:20; Genesis 1:24-26; Genesis 1:28-30; Genesis 2:1; Genesis 2:4-6; Genesis 2:11-13; Genesis 4:14; Genesis 4:16; Genesis 6:4-6; Genesis 6:11-13; Genesis 6:17; Genesis 7:4; Genesis 7:12; Genesis 7:14; Genesis 7:17-19; Genesis 7:21; Genesis 7:23-24; Genesis 8:1; Genesis 8:3; Genesis 8:9; Genesis 8:13-14; Genesis 8:17; Genesis 8:19; Genesis 8:22; Genesis 9:2; Genesis 9:7; Genesis 9:10; Genesis 9:14; Genesis 9:19; Genesis 10:5; Genesis 10:10-11; Genesis 10:20; Genesis 10:25; Genesis 10:31-32; Genesis 11:1-2; Genesis 11:8-9;

http://www.biblestudytools.com/lexicons/hebrew/kjv/erets.html

_____

3. tebel (#8398)

Definition

1. world

Genesis passages that use tebel (through to the Tower of Babel):

NONE! NONE! NONE! THE HEBREW WORD "TEBEL" ISN'T FOUND IN A SINGLE VERSE IN THE WHOLE BOOK OF GENESIS!

http://www.biblestudytools.com/lexicons/hebrew/kjv/tebel-2.html

Now I have to ask what are these YEC global flood believers whining and crying about, how about trying to read all of these passages in the original Hebrew and get a clue.

The Mesopotamian Flood Plain:

flood-region.jpg

Mesopotamia.jpg

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,240.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

Great thread and good point!

http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/localflood.html

The "whole earth" usually refers to local geography

Examples of where kol erets refers to a local area include the following verses:
"Is not the whole [kol] land [erets] before you? Please separate from me: if to the left, then I will go to the right; or if to the right, then I will go to the left." (Genesis 13:9) (The "whole land" was only the land of Canaan)
And the people of all [kol] the earth [erets] came to Egypt to buy grain from Joseph, because the famine was severe in all the earth. (Genesis 41:57) (The people from the Americas did not go to Egypt)

Erets revisited

Let's look at the actual Genesis flood passage to determine if it can be interpreted from a local viewpoint. As we determined above, the word erets, often translated "earth" can also refer to the people of the earth. Is it used this way in the actual Genesis flood passage?
Now the earth was corrupt in the sight of God, and the earth was filled with violence. (Genesis 6:11)
And God looked on the earth, and behold, it was corrupt; for all flesh had corrupted their way upon the earth. (Genesis 6:12)
I set My bow in the cloud, and it shall be for a sign of a covenant between Me and the earth. (Genesis 9:13)
Genesis 6, verses 11 and 12 both tells us that the earth was corrupt, although we understand this verse to refer to the people of the earth. Likewise, in Genesis 9:13, the verse tells us that God made a covenant between Himself and the earth. However, later verses clarify that the covenant is between God and the creatures of the earth.10 The Genesis text clearly establishes (along with the New Testament11) that God's judgment of humans was universal (with the exception of Noah and his family).
Outside Genesis one (through Genesis 2:5), the entire Genesis account through the Tower of Babel (Genesis 11) specifically refers to local geography. All the place names mentioned are in the Mesopotamian flood plain. Therefore, all the instances of the word erets can and should be translated "land," instead of "earth," since it all refers to local geography. There is no reason to think that the flood account is any different from the rest of the Genesis account through chapter 11............

There is a Hebrew word that always refers to the entire earth or the entire inhabited earth. The word is tebel (Strong's H8398), which is found 37 times in the Old Testament. Curiously, this word is never used to describe the flood, although it is used extensively to describe the creation of the earth and the judgment of the peoples of the earth..............

Upvote 0

random person

Dec 10, 2013
Riverside California
✟14,087.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Erets

We have been told in the biblical account that the flood would cover the "earth," that everything in the "earth" would die, and other statements about the "earth," all of which would teach the idea of a world-wide flood - EXCEPT for one thing: Hebrew word "erets", especially in the Book of Genesis.

Erets (#776 in Strong's), the Hebrew word that translated "earth" throughout the flood account and it does not require a world-wide meaning. This word translated "country" (140 times) and "land" (1,476 times!) in the Bible. Many of them are often of limited land areas.

We need to keep in mind that the people living at the time of Moses had no concept of a "global" planet ... to them the "earth" would be the extent of the geographical land area known to them. To apply this literal meaning throughout the Bible causes problems. (as does other LITERAL exegesis)

These false interpretations are assumed and encouraged so that we can continue to support "tradition" or orthodoxy - never mind what Scripture is really saying. In so doing, we allow these min-interpretations to contradict other verses where the same word is used! We end up making a mockery of Scripture by trying to get it to fit ill-conceived theology.

If we view the flood as global, then we must (if we are consistent) apply that same usage in other places were the same words and phrases are used.

For example, Cain was cursed by God and driven from the "face of the earth" (Genesis 4:14) We know Cain was not driven off the planet... but out of the land he knew as "home" ...

The word is used concerning Abraham. "Get thee out of thy country [erets]...unto a land [erets] that I will shew thee" (Genesis 12:1). Or another one, "Abraham journeyed from thence toward the south country [erets], and dwelled between Kadesh and Shur" (Genesis 20:1).

Other references in Genesis also show that "erets" was used to show specific lands: "The whole land [erets] of Havilah," "the whole land [erets] of Ethiopia," "the land [erets] of Nod, on the east of Eden," Famine at the time of Joseph affected "all lands [erets]",etc.

Also during the plagues upon Egypt, at one point we read that "the rain was not poured upon the earth [erets]" (Ex. 9:33). Do the word study. Try put the word "land" instead of global "earth" and it may make more sense. I believe some Bible translations are misleading.

Here's a good one too: In Exodus 10:5-15 we read about a plague of locusts that "covered the face of the whole earth." It should be pretty evident that this locust plague covered only a limited LAND of Egypt... it is the same wording in both places. Yet we never assume these locusts covered the entire globe...

Genesis 7:4 "For yet seven days, and I will cause it to rain upon the earth forty days and forty nights; and every living substance that I have made will I destroy from off the face of the earth."

Genesis 7:23 "And every living substance was destroyed which was upon the face of the *ground*, both man, and cattle, and the creeping things, and the fowl of the heaven; and they were destroyed from the earth: and Noah only remained [alive], and they that [were] with him in the ark."

Genesis 8:9 "But the dove found no rest for the sole of her foot, and she returned unto him into the ark, for the waters [were] on the face of the whole earth: then he put forth his hand, and took her, and pulled her in unto him into the ark."

But remember we let the Scriptures interpret the Scriptures about "the face of the earth [erets]":

Genesis 41:56 "And the famine has been over all the face of the land, and Joseph openeth all [places] which have [corn] in them, and selleth to the Egyptians; and the famine is severe in the land of Egypt," There is no evidence of a global famine at that time... the Bible states "all countries (erets) came to Egypt" to buy corn (Genesis 41:57) Surely it means the countries close to Egypt... Certainly not "all" countries -- unless we assume the Australians or the American Indians... were in Egypt buying corn.

If we take "erets" to mean the entire planet, then we also have to interpret that OTHER PLANETS came to Egypt to buy corn. All this, so we can maintain the false teaching of a universal flood.

Num. 11:31 "And a spirit hath journeyed from Jehovah, and cutteth off quails from the sea, and leaveth by the camp, as a day's journey here, and as a day's journey there, round about the camp, and about two cubits, on the face of the land."

1 Sam. 20:15 "but thou dost not cut off thy kindness from my house unto the age, nor in Jehovah's cutting off the enemies of David, each one from off the face of the ground."

2 Sam. 18:8 "and the battle is there scattered over the face of all the land, and the forest multiplieth to devour among the people more than those whom the sword hath devoured in that day."

Isa. 23:17 "And it hath come to pass, At the end of seventy years Jehovah inspecteth Tyre, And she hath repented of her gift, That she committed fornication With all kingdoms of the earth on the face of the ground."

Jer. 47:2 "Thus said Jehovah: Lo, waters are coming up from the north, And have been for an overflowing stream, And they overflow the land and its fulness, The city, and the inhabitants in it, And men have cried out, And howled hath every inhabitant of the land."

After the Israelites were delivered from Egypt and settled in Canaan, the scripture says they "covered the face of the earth" (Numbers 22:5,11) Not even fundamentalists would say that Israelites covered every square foot of the planet...This is simply a way of stating that they occupied the land in which they were dwelling.

Jeremiah said he was "...a man of contention to the whole earth!" (Jeremiah 15:10). Obviously, the whole planet did not know about Jeremiah.

Zechariah 5:3, "Then said he unto me, This is the curse that goeth forth over the face of the whole earth: for every one that stealeth shall be cut off as on this side according to it; and every one that sweareth shall be cut off as on that side according to it." Only Israel knew of God's covenant. The Heathen nations did not know the details of God's Law.

There are many instances in the Bible where it speaks of "the earth" or the face of the earth... which clearly refers to a limited land, area, or country. We read about "all" the hills being covered... or "all" flesh destroyed. When God spoke of destroying "all flesh", He said he "will destroy them with the earth" (Genesis 6:13) The planet earth was not destroyed (of course not) neither was all the flesh on the planet -- only that flesh and land where Noah lived was destroyed.

Why, then, should any insist that the flood covering "the face of the whole earth [erets]" must mean a universal flood?

We know that after Joshua had led the Israelites into the promised land, we read: "So Joshua took the whole land [erets]...and the land [erets] rested from war" (Joshua 11:23). No one would think of reading "earth" into this passage! We know that the conquest of Canaan didn't include America, China, and Australia! So, I think the "land" in a limited area is more correct than the "earth" or global flood.

The following are all limited land areas that were destroyed:

Isaiah 13:5, "...to destroy the whole land [erets]" (speaking of Babylon).

Jeremiah 4:27, "...The whole land [erets] shall be desolate..." (speaking of Jerusalem).

Jeremiah 12:11, "...the whole land [erets] is made desolate..."

Jeremiah 25:11, "And this whole land [erets] shall be a desolation..."

Zephaniah 1:18, "...but the whole land [erets] shall be devoured by the fire..."

As I said before, the Hebrew word "erets" can be translated "land" or "country" which is more consistent than the word "earth". Also the "mountains" can be translated "hills" We must not forget that the waters were dried from the "earth."

http://www.ecclesia.org/truth/flood.html

There is another word which is also translated "earth" in these same passages concerning Noah's flood... That word is : #127 'adamah (ad-aw-maw'); from 119; soil (from its general redness): KJV translates this -- country, earth, ground, husband [-man] (-ry), land.

This word relates to Strongs #120 ADAM

So the scripture reads:

Genesis 6:20, "Of fowls after their kind, and of cattle after their kind, of every creeping thing of the earth [#127 Adam's earth) after his kind, two of every sort shall come unto thee, to keep them alive."

Here is a case where the TWO Hebrew words are used in the same passage!

Genesis 7:4, " For yet seven days, and I will cause it to rain upon the earth (erets #776] forty days and forty nights; and every living substance that I have made will I destroy from off the face of the earth (Adam's earth #127]."

Would we be assuming too much to say that the usage of #127 "adamah" interdispersed with #776 "erets" would qualify that word? Would we be assuming too much to say that land affected was "Adam's" land, field, ground etc? (Opposed to Cain's or other tribes or nation's ground)

Other examples:

And now art thou cursed from the earth (adamah #127), which hath opened her mouth to receive thy brother's blood from thy hand; - Genesis 4:11

Behold, thou hast driven me out this day from the face of the earth (adamah #127); and from thy face shall I be hid ; and I shall be a fugitive and a vagabond in the earth; and it shall come to pass , that every one that findeth me shall slay me .- Genesis 4:14

And it came to pass, when men began to multiply on the face of the earth (adamah #127), and daughters were born unto them, - Genesis 6:1

And the LORD said , I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth (adamah #127); both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them. - Genesis 6:7

Last edited:
Reactions: roasthawg
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,905,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Bruce Lee, in one of his movies, once pointed his finger at the sky and said, "Don't concentrate on the finger, or you'll miss all that Heavenly glory."

Rather than concentrate on one word, read the whole story and ask yourself some tough questions:
  1. Why was Noah aboard the Ark for a year and ten days?
  2. Why did animals from thousands of miles away board the Ark?
  3. Why not just warn everyone to vacate the area?
You have to take the whole story into consideration -- not just one word.

Reactions: SkyWriting
Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Bruce Lee, in one of his movies, once pointed his finger at the sky and said, "Don't concentrate on the finger, or you'll miss all that Heavenly glory."

Rather than concentrate on one word, read the whole story and ask yourself some tough questions:

I agree.

Next, you should look at the actual evidence to see if it is consistent with the story.

Then you should draw a conclusion based on the evidence.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,905,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I agree.

Next, you should look at the actual evidence to see if it is consistent with the story.

Then you should draw a conclusion based on the evidence.
You can be sure if I did, and I changed my mind based on the evidence, I would be using that evidence as reason why I believe.

Not some bologna about a single Hebrew word.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

random person

Dec 10, 2013
Riverside California
✟14,087.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat

1. & 2. Oh I see, so God calls forth every species of two by two animals from all over the global from every ecosystem on the earth into the ark, floods the whole earth in record time -- that is 40 days -- puts their habitats under water for a whole year and then sends them off two by two back to the wastelands they once called home?

In the aftermath, there would have been a global famine.

3. It was a large regional flood and many of the animals were no doubt Noah's personal livestock.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

random person

Dec 10, 2013
Riverside California
✟14,087.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
You can be sure if I did, and I changed my mind based on the evidence, I would be using that evidence as reason why I believe.

I am sorry you feel that way about Hebrew lexicons. They can be enlightening and insightful on the message of the original author was attempting to convey.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,905,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
1. & 2. Oh I see, so God calls forth every species of two by two animals from all over the global from every ecosystem on the earth into the ark, floods the whole earth in record time -- that is 40 days -- puts their habitats under water for a whole year and then sends them off two by two back to the wastelands they once called home?

In the aftermath, there would have been a global famine.
Either that, or God re-floraled the earth.

Remember: He created the flora on the earth in just one day; and that included planting a garden to put Adam & Eve in.

It would be nothing to re-floral it.

How do you think a dove was able to bring back an olive leaf in just a week's time?[VERSE=Genesis 8:11,KJV]And the dove came in to him in the evening; and, lo, in her mouth was an olive leaf pluckt off: so Noah knew that the waters were abated from off the earth.[/VERSE]

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,240.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

The Jews might take exception to that.....IMHO
I am sorry you feel that way about Hebrew lexicons. They can be enlightening and insightful on the message of the original author was attempting to convey.
I highly recommend this Concordance and Lexicon......I keep this open 24/7:

http://www.eliyah.com/lexicon.html

http://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?Strongs=H08398&t=KJV
Strong's Number H8398 matches the Hebrew תֵּבֵל (tebel ), which occurs 36 times in 36 verses in the Hebrew concordance

תֵּבֵל têbêl, tay-bale'; from H2986; the earth (as moist and therefore inhabited); by extension, the globe; by implication, its inhabitants; specifically, a particular land, as Babylonia, Palestine:—habitable part, world.

1st time used in OT:

1Sa 2:8
He raiseth up the poor out of the dust, and lifteth up the beggar from the dunghill, to set them among princes, and to make them inherit the throne of glory:
for the pillars of the earth are the LORD'S, and he hath set the world H8398 upon them.

http://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?Strongs=G2889&t=KJV
Strong's Number G2889 matches the Greek κόσμος (kosmos), which occurs 187 times in 152 verses in the Greek concordance

κόσμος kósmos, kos'-mos; probably from the base of G2865; orderly arrangement, i.e. decoration; by implication, the world (in a wide or narrow sense, including its inhabitants, literally or figuratively (morally)):—adorning, world.

1st time used in NT:

Mat 4:8

Again, the devil taketh Him up into an exceeding high mountain,
and sheweth Him all the kingdoms of the world, G2889 and the glory of them;

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,905,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Assuming these lexicons are even using the right Hebrew word in the first place.

Isn't it funny that you don't see a THE TORAH, AS MOSES WROTE IT for sale on the bookshelves?

Upvote 0

random person

Dec 10, 2013
Riverside California
✟14,087.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Either that, or God re-floraled the earth.

Remember: He created the flora on the earth in just one day; and that included planting a garden to put Adam & Eve in.

It would be nothing to re-floral it.

How do you think a dove was able to bring back an olive leaf in just a week's time?[VERSE=Genesis 8:11,KJV]And the dove came in to him in the evening; and, lo, in her mouth was an olive leaf pluckt off: so Noah knew that the waters were abated from off the earth.[/VERSE]

The dove bringing back the olive leaf is evidence of a local flood. Lets not forget the Bible speaks nothing of God re-floraling the earth.

The different soils different vegetation require would have been destroyed in one fell swoop anyways.

Upvote 0

random person

Dec 10, 2013
Riverside California
✟14,087.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Assuming these lexicons are even using the right Hebrew word in the first place.

Isn't it funny that you don't see a THE TORAH, AS MOSES WROTE IT for sale on the bookshelves?

Are you serious? Do you think the Bible was written in English?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,905,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The Jews might take exception to that.....IMHO
Every Jew has a Strong's Concordance on his bookshelf, does he?

Would the Jews object to the Tabernacle in the Wilderness being made of sea cow skins, instead of badgers' skins?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,905,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status