South Carolina
✟94,571.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

I personally think that it is so sad that some of the ones who will end up suffering eternally are those who claim to love the Lord, but really don't. I would define someone who loves the Lord as someone who is a repentant believer who obeys the Lord. Now having said that, what are your thoughts on this video?

BrokenWarrior

Just a Messenger
Dec 29, 2014
Where ever my Lord's work is to be done.
✟8,157.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Someone who Loves The Lord is someone who Believes in The Lord.

You don't Love then Obey then Believe.

You Believe then Love then Obey.

Who is he who obeys The Lord? He who Loves Him. Who is he who loves Him? He who Believes.

Be at peace.
-Your Brother In Christ

Upvote 0

Job8

Dec 1, 2014
✟21,583.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The letter to the church at Laodicea says it all (Rev 3:14-22), and describes false Christianity in the last days also. Those church members were doing "good Christian works" but were deemed to be spiritually wretched, miserable, poor, blind, naked. That describes those who are unregenerate (not born again). Jesus said, "Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God" (Jn 3:3). There are millions who are labelled "Christian" but do not have Christ and the Holy Spirit within. Therefore they are naked and advised to buy "white raiment that thou mayest be clothed" (with the righteousness of Christ). That is not only extremely sad but very serious.

Upvote 0

Emmy

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2004
✟50,995.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Dear Lik3. Jesus gives us a chance to prove whether we truly love or not. In Matthew22: 35-40: Jesus tells us:
" The first and great Commandment is: Love God with all thy heart, with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
The second is like it: " love thy neighbour as thyself." In verse 40 we are told: " On these two Commandments
hang all the Law and the Prophets." That tells us quite clearly. God is Love, and God wants loving sons and daughters.
What do we do now? In Matthew 7: 7-10: we are told: " ask and you shall receive," we ask for Love and Joy, then we thank God and share all Love and Joy with our neighbour. We keep asking and thanking, then share all Love and Joy with our neighbour. God will see our loving efforts, and God will approve and bless us.
The Bible tells us: " Repent and be Born Again," we change from being selfish and unloving/uncaring, to love and care and be always friendly and give the occasional hand. People will treat us the same as we treat people, and gradually we change into loving and caring men and women. Love is very catching, and Love will cover a multitude of sins. A Christian`s weapon is Love, with love we will overcome all anger and wrong behaviour. The Holy Spirit will help and guide us, and Jesus our Saviour will lead us all the way: JESUS IS THE WAY.
Jesus tells us: Love thy God with all thy heart, all thy soul and all thy mind, and love thy neighbour as thyself.
( neighbour is: all we know and all we meet, friends and not friends) That is straightforward and easy to remember.
Perhaps a bit strange to start with, but soon we will find we are changing gradually into the men and women which God wants to live eternity with. I say this with love, Lik. Greetings from Emmy, your sister in Christ.

Reactions: Lik3
Upvote 0

th1bill

A Believer/Follower
Jul 5, 2003
Texas
Visit site
✟67,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
In the mid-eighties, just before I converted in 1990, the Barna Group did a survey of the American Church that was for accuracy, given double blind. The questions were only concerning the Basic of Christianity such as, "Do you believe in the Virgin Birth?" "Do you believe Jesus died to pay for your sins?" "Do you believe Jesus is returning to take you to Heaven?"

That is not all the questioned subjects but it is the drift of the survey. The people allowed to take this survey had to qualify as one of the faithful by attending Church at least three times a week. Now this is off the top of my head but the result was, of the faithful, that less than two percent of them, actually, believed.

I, personally, believe some would lie even though the Pastors never saw the papers after they were handed in and there were no names included on the answer sheets but as nearly as I recall the result was that 1.8%, across the nation, cross denominational, actually believed and were in Church for no other reason than to enrich their relationship with Jesus and to worship Him.

Reactions: Lik3
Upvote 0

nonaeroterraqueous

Nonexistent Member
Aug 16, 2014
✟188,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
In the mid-eighties, just before I converted in 1990, the Barna Group did a survey of the American Church...as nearly as I recall the result was that 1.8%, across the nation, cross denominational, actually believed and were in Church for no other reason than to enrich their relationship with Jesus and to worship Him.

I don't know if this it, but the Barna Group talks about a similar survey, here:

https://www.barna.org/barna-update/...hristians-over-the-past-13-years#.VaB06PlVhBc

It's an interesting read. This comes from studies done in 1995, 2000 and 2005, which is later than your 1990 date, so it might be the result of a different metric. Their summary is as follows:

• One-third of all adults (34%) believe that moral truth is absolute and unaffected by the circumstances. Slightly less than half of the born again adults (46%) believe in absolute moral truth.
  • Half of all adults firmly believe that the Bible is accurate in all the principles it teaches. That proportion includes the four-fifths of born again adults (79%) who concur.
  • Just one-quarter of adults (27%) are convinced that Satan is a real force. Even a minority of born again adults (40%) adopt that perspective.
  • Similarly, only one-quarter of adults (28%) believe that it is impossible for someone to earn their way into Heaven through good behavior. Not quite half of all born again Christians (47%) strongly reject the notion of earning salvation through their deeds.
  • A minority of American adults (40%) are persuaded that Jesus Christ lived a sinless life while He was on earth. Slightly less than two-thirds of the born again segment (62%) strongly believes that He was sinless.
  • Seven out of ten adults (70%) say that God is the all-powerful, all-knowing creator of the universe who still rules it today. That includes the 93% of born again adults who hold that conviction.

Upvote 0

th1bill

A Believer/Follower
Jul 5, 2003
Texas
Visit site
✟67,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I don't know if this it, but the Barna Group talks about a similar survey, here:

https://www.barna.org/barna-update/...hristians-over-the-past-13-years#.VaB06PlVhBc

It's an interesting read. This comes from studies done in 1995, 2000 and 2005, which is later than your 1990 date, so it might be the result of a different metric. Their summary is as follows:

• One-third of all adults (34%) believe that moral truth is absolute and unaffected by the circumstances. Slightly less than half of the born again adults (46%) believe in absolute moral truth.
  • Half of all adults firmly believe that the Bible is accurate in all the principles it teaches. That proportion includes the four-fifths of born again adults (79%) who concur.
  • Just one-quarter of adults (27%) are convinced that Satan is a real force. Even a minority of born again adults (40%) adopt that perspective.
  • Similarly, only one-quarter of adults (28%) believe that it is impossible for someone to earn their way into Heaven through good behavior. Not quite half of all born again Christians (47%) strongly reject the notion of earning salvation through their deeds.
  • A minority of American adults (40%) are persuaded that Jesus Christ lived a sinless life while He was on earth. Slightly less than two-thirds of the born again segment (62%) strongly believes that He was sinless.
  • Seven out of ten adults (70%) say that God is the all-powerful, all-knowing creator of the universe who still rules it today. That includes the 93% of born again adults who hold that conviction.
While that is not the same survey and though I still will be forever troubled by the result it does show demonstrate that since the mid-eighties the Church has either been working better or that the World is hungry for the truth. Personally, I belive it is both. Thank you for being Berean-like and checking me by what I say.

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟244,618.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello:)

I would agree there are many in Christian circles who are not born again and do not know the Lord. Many are open about it. The church can be a great place for evangelism, sometimes you can win a soul there by sharing the gospel with someone you meet. God Bless You :)

Upvote 0

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Paul declares, “For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear” (2 Timothy 4:3). Titus 1:9–2:1 proclaims, “He must hold firm to the trustworthy word as taught, so that he may be able to give instruction in sound doctrine and also to rebuke those who contradict it….But as for you, teach what accords with sound doctrine.”

The Christian faith is found in Jesus. His "sound doctrine" is revealed in the Word of God. The sound doctrine (singular) is

1. the deity of Jesus (John 1:1, John 1:14),

2. the substitutionary sacrifice of Jesus (2 Corinthians 5:21),

3. the resurrection of Jesus (1 Corinthians 15:17), and

4. salvation by Grace through Faith alone (Romans 10:8-13; Ephesians 2:8-9).

These four items in combination and consolidated are a whole, constituting sound doctrine. Study those, come to that conclusion through John 3:3, John 14:6, John 5:24, John 3:16-17.

As Christians do we ADD to sound doctrine?

This is not posted to invite debate.

btw........ that was a beautiful song sung by one with an outstanding voice.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

savedbygrace71

Chief of sinners
Aug 1, 2015
✟15,340.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I agree that there are many who are sitting in church every Sunday that will end up in hell. It's sad to think about, but it's true. It would be much easier if they never attended church and didn't profess to be a "Christian." At least then we would be able to know for a fact that they are lost. I like this video, but it seemed to give the impression that someone who sins cannot be born-again. I'm not saying that's what it was saying, because it wasn't, but I see where it could be taken as that way to some people.
Being born-again is knowing that you are a sinner and that there is no hope for you. You deserve eternal punishment in hell. But God loved you so much and gave up His Son, Jesus Christ. Jesus gave up Himself and took your punishment for you so that you might be saved through Him. Confessing your sins before Him and asking for His forgiveness. Repenting of those sins and placing your faith and trust in Christ to save you.
^That is what being born again is. Repentance is turning away from sin, yes. But it does not mean that you aren't going to sin anymore. Repentance is a change of mind. When you repent, you and your mindset have changed. You love the Lord and you want to keep his commands, and you do. But you will fall and you will stumble. When you sin, if you are truly saved, you will feel instant guilt and conviction right after the act of sinning (if not during). That is the Holy Spirit telling us to confess our sin, ask for God's forgiveness, and to repent and focus back on Him.
If you are one of those who is still walking in the darkness and have yet to surrender your life to Christ, I am praying for you. Examine yourselves and don't wait around. "behold, now is the day of salvation."
Well that's my take on the video. God bless!

Lord, Your will be done.

Reactions: Winken
Upvote 0