Charlie7399

Apr 24, 2013
Brazil
✟15,920.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
What does it mean to be a liberal Catholic for you folks? What's the reason behind using this term to describe yourselves? Also, for those of you who have more radical disagreements with Rome: do you have any hope that the Church might change any long-held positions in the future? Just some questions I wanted to ask, really :grin:

Aelred of Rievaulx

Nov 11, 2015
✟12,231.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I'm liberal in a few different ways: I am fundamentally a Catholic interested in ecumenism, I think the Church should open up in terms of traditions, rites and scripture in order to fully see itself in Eastern and Oriental Orthodoxy. I'm liberal and Catholic in that I think a properly Catholic understanding of scripture and tradition cannot be homophobic, sexist or exclusivist. I'm further liberal and Catholic in that I enjoy looking at the history of my church to find expressions of spirituality and religion which may not sit very comfortably within some other traditions.

Upvote 0

Martinius

Catholic disciple of Jesus
Jul 2, 2010
The woods and lakes of the Great North
✟60,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am definitely a "liberal" Catholic, simply because my reading and understanding of what Jesus said and did allows me to be nothing else. I approach my faith as many have done, including some in the hierarchy. Pope John XXIII and Pope Francis come readily to mind, as do people like Archbishop Oscar Romero, Mother Teresa and many, many more bishops, priests, nuns and laity.

I have seen the Church make many positive changes in my lifetime and expect to see more. Some of these have been "earth-shaking", while others not so newsworthy or sudden, but just as important. Some of the latter include the evolution of Church teaching on life issues to encompass more than just abortion, a constantly growing ecumenical movement, a revamping of how the Church thinks of and relates to females (still in progress), and a deeper connection with and focus on "the least among us" rather than with the political and economic powers (some call this "liberation theology", which has not gone away and appears to be having a resurgence). There are more examples, such as what we see happening and being discussed about how the Church relates to divorced and remarried Catholics.

Some things won't change in my lifetime, such as having women priests, but it will happen. I may live long enough to see women ordained as deacons and married men ordained as priests. The Church has changed, will change, must change. As I said in a related thread, my late mother would hardly recognize the Church she grew up with if she could experience the Church of today.

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,113.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
To support the social gospel as taught and acted upon by the Church for more than a century is to be "liberal" on CF. To accept and support the agendas of popes since Vatican II is be considered "liberal" and worse by members of OBOB. To follow our pope and our Council of Bishops in the understanding that there are many, many critical life issues, more than just abortion and gay marriage.

To follow the teachings of this pope and our bishops is to be called "liberal" and worse on OBOB.

We are liberal in that were want any further changes in the Church, such as cleaning up the Curia, the Bank and rethinking the power structure within the Vatican decison-making process.

We are liberals in that most of us want to see married priests being more accepted in the Latin Rite (mor than just Protestant converts). We are liberals in that we want to see re-married families accepted at the LORD's TABLE.

Upvote 0

Martinius

Catholic disciple of Jesus
Jul 2, 2010
The woods and lakes of the Great North
✟60,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Great post, Mark46. The teaching of the Church over the last 50 years, as reflected in the Catechism, scripture commentary, and pronouncements of the popes, has become more decidedly "liberal", which many Catholics are simply not aware of. A great example is Laudato Si, the recent encyclical on the care of our planet. This is not new or different. Pope Francis simply made people aware of what previous popes have also said, as well as what numerous Catholic Bishops' conferences from around the world have preached. Nothing changed except the "publicity" associated with a papal encyclical on a critical topic.

What is happening to an extent is that the "liberal Catholic" positions that were considered on the fringe, and sometimes heretical, are appearing more and more to be "mainstream" teachings or positions. Traditional Catholics prefer to be mired in a Catholicism that reflects thinking and decision models that dominated from the Council of Trent up to Vatican II. The Church and most of its members have advanced beyond that. Perhaps the term "Contemporary Catholic" would be a better description for people on this forum, and have less baggage than the term "liberal".

Upvote 0

Aelred of Rievaulx

Nov 11, 2015
✟12,231.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Perhaps the term "Contemporary Catholic" would be a better description for people on this forum, and have less baggage than the term "liberal".
That's a good point. It would help distinguish those who are generally in the contemporary liberal mainstream from those who are outright liberal, like me. ;-)

Upvote 0