Why is weed a sin

samjazz

Apr 3, 2014
✟15,157.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
As Christian, we do not live under the law, but under grace. Whether it is a sin or not (for me) is not really all that relevant. If my use of marijuana were to cause someone else to stumble or to cause some other harm to someone (terrorist/criminal organizations make much of their cash from black market trafficking for example), than I AM sinning. That one reason is enough for me to eschew its use. I have personally witnessed several negative effects of marijuana in people's lives and because I care about them, I won't use it. There are other reasons I don't use it including (but not limited to): it separates me from the Holy Spirit of God; it makes me lazy; sometimes I can get paranoid, and it makes me fat (munchies, see also lazy).

In general, if one has to ask if something is a sin, than its probable that the answer is yes and that that one is looking for an excuse or a "loophole" in the law to allow them to do that sin and a serious soul searching is in order. I have used this concept on myself and I find it effective.

Pray about the use of marijuana in your life. Ask Him if it is within His will for you and if it supports your witness. The matter is between you and God, so earnestly seek His counsel.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,361.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
It is not unlike alcohol, if you are doing it in moderation and it is for medical reasons, and not just for the feeling of getting high, then it may not be a sin for you, I personally don't use it/do it, although I have tried it done it in the past, but I believe it is and was a sin for me personally...

But for some others it may not be, I talked with someone (who smokes weed, but has a medical Marijuana card and uses it for a medical condition) who showed me an article on the many, many numerous medical conditions marijuana can be used to treat, everything from AIDS to P.T.S.D, and a whole extensive list of other medical problems, I believe it should be approved for medical use only, not recreational use, (like in Colorado)

But the problem is most all medical doctors are very, very prejudiced against it, and the very, very few amount of doctors who might see it as being of some use for certain medical conditions are oftentimes attacked and even drove out of city, or pushed out of the medical community, due to their only being open to the fact that Marijuana is no different than prescribing a narcotic or any other pill or drug that has the potential to become addictive and/or get you high, yet they are open to prescribing them under certain conditions, medical marijuana should be treated as being no different, but may doctor's are so darn prejudiced solidly against it, that they won't even medically prescribe it to say an AIDS patient, who has trouble putting on weight and eating so as to maintain muscle mass, and is so sick off all the other poisonous drugs they're having to take and has such bad nausea, that smoking or injesting THC, could really, really, greatly help and benefit them, another example is cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy, why aren't more doctors open to the medical only use of marijuana under these circumstances?

As I said it is a sin for me, but for others, with good, solid, valid purely medical reasons, it might not be for them, It should be treated by all doctors as no different than any other drug they might prescribe that could be potentially addictive or get you high...

Well, those are my thoughts, in Jesus name, God Bless!

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,361.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I dont do it but if it were legal I might as I see it as a whole lot less dangerous than alcohol and it should have been legalized many years ago

That brings up another question: Is it more or less dangerous than alcohol? What about "driving under the influence, is driving "high" as dangerous as driving "drunk", and should we be against either one? Back in the day, when I first tried weed, I got really high and then drove afterwards, and it was most definetly not the wisest decision for me, I was so high (the first time I did it) that my vision was severely affected and my friend in the passenger seat had to remind that I blew two red lights, without even realizing it, but that was the first time I ever got high (I was seventeen) and when your that high, it is not a wise decision to drive afterward...

Now, I became a regular user, between the ages of eighteen till about the age of twenty five, then I quit and turned my back on it for good, there were several reasons for this, but the one I want to concentrate on, is that I realized it wasn't even getting me high anymore, I was just smoking it out of habit, and it wasn't making me high anymore, (and unlike alcohol you can't just drink/smoke more, and expect to get that original feeling, with weed once it's not making you high anymore, it doesn't matter how much you smoke, you don't get that original high as a habitual daily smoker that you did when you first started smoking it or if you only do it every once in a great while, and I was also now only doing to prevent with-drawl symptoms... So it didn't affect my driving at all, when I was a habitual, daily smoker...

My point is once I became a habitual smoker of it, the high would only last (if I got any high at all) only about five to ten minutes, and I got no where nearly as high as say, the very first time I smoked it, so I saw no point to it anymore, and as one popular Star Trek episode I like put it about addictive chemicals/drugs in general it was said:

Wesley asked Data: "Data, I can understand how this could happen to Onararans... What I can't understand is why anyone would voluntarily become dependent on a chemical? Data replies: "Voluntary addiction to drugs is a recurrent theme in many cultures." Then Tasha jumps in and says "Wesley, no one wants to become dependent... That happens later." And Wesley said "But it does happen, so why do people start?"

Tasha replies "On my home planet, there was so much poverty and violence, that for some, the only escape was through drugs." Then Wesley says "How can a chemical substance provide an escape?" Tasha says "It doesn't... but it makes you think it does... You have to understand, drugs can make you feel good... they make you feel on top of the world, your happy, sure of yourself, in control." Then Wesley says "But it artificial." To which Tasha says "It doesn't feel artificial until the drug wears off... Then you pay the price... Before you know it (and this was my experience) you're taking the drug, not to feel good, but to keep from feeling bad." To which Wesley replies "And that's the trap." And Tasha goes on to say further (and this was my experience as well): "All you care about is getting your next dosage, Nothing else matters." To which Wesley replies "I guess I just don't understand." To which Tasha says "Wesley, I hope you never do."

But my point is that I quit smoking pot for these and spiritual reasons/concerns around ten years ago, and while I have been around it since, I won't touch it anymore, but I have no right to judge those that still do, or/and especially for medical reasons...

What's your opinion about driving or operating equipment "under the influence"?

God Bless!

Upvote 0

psalms 91

Legend
Dec 27, 2004
✟127,276.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Pot should be treated like alcohol. If you drive high you get arrested for it. But for the pot itself it should be legal just like alcohol or cigarettes which are much more harmful in my opinion and if it was legal think about how much less prison space would be needed saving untold millions and or course it would be taxed like alcohol

Upvote 0

dragongunner

Jul 30, 2012
Indiana
✟9,578.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
1 Peter 5:8

Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:

"sober"

If Pot was legal would Jesus and the Apostles hang out and smoke it......if you think so then my opinion is that something is wrong with you.

Upvote 0

OGM

Mar 22, 2010
✟11,065.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
psalms 91 said:
Pot should be treated like alcohol. If you drive high you get arrested for it. But for the pot itself it should be legal just like alcohol or cigarettes which are much more harmful in my opinion and if it was legal think about how much less prison space would be needed saving untold millions and or course it would be taxed like alcohol
Yeah...I don't smoke or drink but even I can see the double standard that exists.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ForJesusChrist

Follower of Christ
Feb 26, 2014
✟18,543.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What the Lord revealed to me is that marijuana opens doors for demonic activity. He also showed me that the high you think you're getting is actually a low from where you could be with the Lord.

Thats a good way of putting it.

God Bless

Upvote 0

hopeinGod

A voice crying in the wilderness
Jul 26, 2004
Florida
Visit site
✟2,700.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I value THC for its medical potential. Many testimonies have come from people who neither smoked or ate it, but drank the juice in its most potent form. Healings from cancer and better overall functioning have been experienced. So, I have no problem with its use, none whatsoever. For those with pain, it is said to alleviate some degree of the suffering, if not all, for at least a few hours or so. "Better lives through pot," I'd say.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I posted this somewhere else but I realized I would get alot more responses if it was in here. I posted it in somewhere else I found first.

Hello. I am talking to a guy who smokes weed etc. I told him that it was a sin. He shrugged and said um why. I said that God does not like it when people get high and smoke weed. He said how you know. I said the bible. He said the Bible never actually speaks about Marijuana itself. But I explained there was bible verses that said stuff that made you realize it was indeed a sin. He said he tell me a example then. I thought and thought and searched my mind, then I said, "Though shalt not be drunk with whine." he said he doesnt drink whine and thats not marijuanna.

So why is it a sin? What are the reasons and what are the bible verses. He is still awaiting my awnser and still smoking weed etc. I am having trouble trying to explain to him so I need help, and posts in here i can read and then repeat them to him.
he has distracted you...misdirected you,got you on a side road topic off the topic of that straight and narrow way that few find...

while you quibble over that sideline topic you are not talking about the need to
believe in Jesus
admit the true sinful state of our heart.
repent
turn from our own ways ,our own thoughts.
follow Jesus
lay down our self life in exchange for Gods
eternal life. etc.

dont quibble over sideline topics....preach the sound truth of the gospel,let God do the conviction.

Reactions: psalms 91
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
I dont do it but if it were legal I might as I see it as a whole lot less dangerous than alcohol and it should have been legalized many years ago

it was. most doctors used it in the united states for about half their patients before it was made illegal by bogus legislation of corrupt men in power for money.

after that, when a crop or refined product was found the authorities often sprayed it with a chemical that caused brain damage, and let it be distributed again. on purpose.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
he has distracted you...misdirected you,got you on a side road topic off the topic of that straight and narrow way that few find...

while you quibble over that sideline topic you are not talking about the need to

believe in Jesus

admit the true sinful state of our heart.
repent

turn from our own ways ,our own thoughts.
follow Jesus
lay down our self life in exchange for Gods
eternal life. etc.

dont quibble over sideline topics....preach the sound truth of the gospel,let God do the conviction.

this is true too.
very very true.
yet what can you do here? for every moment and source of TRUTH, there are 1000 distractions in life. that's one reason sin is so rampant, society is completely wicked, and the world is under judgment.

Jesus will return to set things straight, exactly as it is written.
So seek Yhwh(God), and do what He says. That is all that is important.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I value THC for its medical potential. Many testimonies have come from people who neither smoked or ate it, but drank the juice in its most potent form. Healings from cancer and better overall functioning have been experienced. So, I have no problem with its use, none whatsoever. For those with pain, it is said to alleviate some degree of the suffering, if not all, for at least a few hours or so. "Better lives through pot," I'd say.
yeh ummm ok,after all,god cannot heal ...
i will be harsh here ,that is idolatry when one puts more faith in the created then the creator.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

this is true too.
very very true.
yet what can you do here? for every moment and source of TRUTH, there are 1000 distractions in life. that's one reason sin is so rampant, society is completely wicked, and the world is under judgment.

Jesus will return to set things straight, exactly as it is written.
So seek Yhwh(God), and do what He says. That is all that is important.
our responsibility is to preach the gospel...and of course pray and demonstrate it.

it is the responsibility of the hearer to respond accordingly.

Upvote 0

Omena

Brother
Oct 17, 2012
Holetown
✟15,863.00
Faith
Christian
I used to smoke weed a lot...I mean a lot, a lot. I was high all the time. It was clear that I was not using it for medicincal purposes, or to relax. I was just abusing it. So I stopped smoking weed after I became a Christian, but NOT because I think that Christians should not smoke, or that smoking in itself is a sin.

Jesus told us that it's not what goes into our body that defiles us, but what comes out of our hearts. So I don't want to make a religious rule that smoking is a sin. However, for me it was sort of a sin, because it distracted me from doing anything else, and in a way I "needed" it, which wasn't good for my relationship with God.

Upvote 0