Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I posted this somewhere else but I realized I would get alot more responses if it was in here. I posted it in somewhere else I found first.

Hello. I am talking to a guy who smokes weed etc. I told him that it was a sin. He shrugged and said um why. I said that God does not like it when people get high and smoke weed. He said how you know. I said the bible. He said the Bible never actually speaks about Marijuana itself. But I explained there was bible verses that said stuff that made you realize it was indeed a sin. He said he tell me a example then. I thought and thought and searched my mind, then I said, "Though shalt not be drunk with whine." he said he doesnt drink whine and thats not marijuanna.

So why is it a sin? What are the reasons and what are the bible verses. He is still awaiting my awnser and still smoking weed etc. I am having trouble trying to explain to him so I need help, and posts in here i can read and then repeat them to him.

Kelly

Dungeon Master
Mar 20, 2003
USA
Visit site
✟24,334.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The Bible calls out drunkeness as a sin, not drinking, right?

Romans 13:13
1 Corinthians 6:9-11
Ephesians 5:18

So what is drunkeness? I'd say, when you've had enough alcohol to say and do things that you normally wouldn't. When it impares your motor skills, your speech, reduces your inhabitions.

I'm not an expert on pot, but it seems like anyone I knew who smoked it smoked to get high or 'wasted'. I think the same thing applies, it's a form of drunkeness.

Secondly, the bible says you should follow the laws of your land, and in the US at least, pot is illegal.

Romans 13

Finally, tell this guy you care about him and it has some really nasty side effects.

http://teens.drugabuse.gov/facts/facts_mj2.asp

Upvote 0

Svt4Him

Legend
Site Supporter
Oct 23, 2003
Visit site
✟53,618.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Obey the laws of the land. But there is a bit more than that, we are told to be good stewards of our money, and in Canada, when you buy drugs, it's illegal, and going to support an organization that does more harm than good.

But if this person is not a Christian, then no worries, drugs is the least of his problems. If he is, then there are some things God has to show him. Problem is we don't usually ask God.

Upvote 0

holo

former Christian
Dec 24, 2003
✟77,794.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I posted this somewhere else but I realized I would get alot more responses if it was in here. I posted it in somewhere else I found first.

Hello. I am talking to a guy who smokes weed etc. I told him that it was a sin. He shrugged and said um why. I said that God does not like it when people get high and smoke weed. He said how you know. I said the bible. He said the Bible never actually speaks about Marijuana itself. But I explained there was bible verses that said stuff that made you realize it was indeed a sin. He said he tell me a example then. I thought and thought and searched my mind, then I said, "Though shalt not be drunk with whine." he said he doesnt drink whine and thats not marijuanna.

So why is it a sin? What are the reasons and what are the bible verses. He is still awaiting my awnser and still smoking weed etc. I am having trouble trying to explain to him so I need help, and posts in here i can read and then repeat them to him.
Why do you think it's a sin?

Not saying that it is, or that it's not, just asking.

Upvote 0
R

RockingJesusChicken

Somewhere in the Bible, so I am told, you are not supposed to do drugs cause it hrms your body. We are supposed to be the temple of God. We are supposed to keep our bodies pure. Also the Bible does say we are to live by the laws of the land. I don't know where these scriptures are found. All I know is that my mom hs told me these things. And they are true. ANyway I have go get ready for work. BYE!:wave::kiss::hug:

Upvote 0

Cris413

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 20, 2007
Texas
✟56,828.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
I think this is the Scripture you're looking for:

1Co 6:19 Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own?
1Co 6:20 For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God's.

Upvote 0

Da Bomb

May 12, 2008
✟15,167.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have personally written THE WHITE-HOUSE drug CZAR, NIDIA, AND THE DEA, asking a simple question, if Marijuana is a drug, why isn't tobacco and Alcohol illigal? NO ANSWER!! EVER,NOT ONCE, OVER A YEAR I HAVE WRITEN AND ASKED, NOTHING, Cause They dont really care about drugs, its CONFORMITY. MORE IMPORTANTLY, if Marijuana is such a big deal, why is it the #1 cash crop IN THE US!? Anti Marijuana mentality is the minority, and The silent Majority is taking aim at Hypocrisy in Washington, Hemp and Marijuana will be AMericas answer for our Gas and economic needs, If you really think George Washington was wrong on the Issue then by all means, Agree with the 30 percent of Americans who feel Marijuana "IS A DRUG"While the rest enjoy the fact that Marijuana is so common it can be found in 1 in 10 homes. Thats a Scary white house fact aint it?

Upvote 0

IamRedeemed

Blessed are the pure in Heart, they shall see God.
May 18, 2007
Visit site
✟24,764.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
While tobacco is damaging to the body, it is not a mind altering drug
such as Marijuana is. Although neither is beneficial for ongoing use.
Marijuana kills brain cells that will not grow back, in addition to 7 times
worse affects of a cigarette on the body, smoke wise. One marijuana cigarette
is equivalent to 7 tobacco cigarettes in damaging tars and smoke etc.
Alcohol used to be illegal, but the world pressed for it to become legal and
eventually it was. Many people have died unnecessarily as well because the law
cannot make people ethical. An ethical person will not drive drunk, and doesn't
need the law to tell them that.

I agree with you on the hypocrisy. The world is full of it.
It is not okay to murder they say, but that only depends on whether
or not the person is being brutally dismembered by a doctor in its mother's
womb or not.
:doh:

I have personally written THE WHITE-HOUSE drug CZAR, NIDIA, AND THE DEA, asking a simple question, if Marijuana is a drug, why isn't tobacco and Alcohol illigal? NO ANSWER!! EVER,NOT ONCE, OVER A YEAR I HAVE WRITEN AND ASKED, NOTHING, Cause They dont really care about drugs, its CONFORMITY. MORE IMPORTANTLY, if Marijuana is such a big deal, why is it the #1 cash crop IN THE US!? Anti Marijuana mentality is the minority, and The silent Majority is taking aim at Hypocrisy in Washington, Hemp and Marijuana will be AMericas answer for our Gas and economic needs, If you really think George Washington was wrong on the Issue then by all means, Agree with the 30 percent of Americans who feel Marijuana "IS A DRUG"While the rest enjoy the fact that Marijuana is so common it can be found in 1 in 10 homes. Thats a Scary white house fact aint it?

Upvote 0

Psalms34

◄♫♪♫ תהלים ♫♪♫►
Nov 20, 2004
Southern Calif
✟22,982.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Constitution
Pharmakeia (from where we get the word Pharmacy), from Textus Receptus Greek text, meaning ‘drug use/drug dealing’ of which it and derivatives translated into the English as sorcery or witchcraft. Rev 9:21; Rev 18:23; Rev 22:15; Gal 5:20.

Examples in OT which would be ‘Ksp’ (Hebrew root of the word) are: Ex 7:11; Isa 47:9; Deut 18:10; II Kings 9:22, etc… many passages containing this root word referring to various usage for drugs be it dealing/trafficking or usage for any means.

Of course this does not apply to all drugs, such as aspirin for example, but more specifically what we distinguish as illegal recreational drugs, though not based upon what governments call legal or illegal, for some legalize them but they are still of objection by scripture. Generally such drugs are specifically used for altering consciousness into specific state of mind, to seemingly make one more aware or perceptive of the spiritual realm by general practice, but for a host of reasons they are used and thus still categorized as a means to enter a specific state of mind be it for recreational or ritualistic usage.

Common usage over the eons have been for ritual use in that Pagan/Occult practices may be performed. These are used to open up the user to a conscious state of awareness to spiritual influences. This observably not being the effect of alcohol usage which puts the user into a state of ‘fleshly awareness‘ (or unawareness), but more specifically a spiritual awareness conductive of their affects.

There has been medical usage associated with cannabis, but the correct usage is by way of an extraction process which removes the ’high’ effect that causes the altered state of mind. I consider this beneficial, being processed into pill form with the ‘high‘ effects removed, but using (e.g. smoking or eating) it in a way that causes the altered state would be considered the same that the scriptures warns against.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

IisJustMe

He rescued me because He delighted in me (Ps18:19)
Jun 23, 2006
Blue Springs, Missouri
✟23,494.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Pharmakeia: The use or the administering of drugs; poisoning; sorcery, magical arts, often found in connection with idolatry and fostered by it; metaph. the deceptions and seductions of idolatry.

The only drug preparation of the 1st century were herbs and poisons, as they did allow euthenasia in the Roman culture. Drug abuse or use was otherwise unknown, so the English translation of "witchcraft" or "sorcery" is not incorrect. It is what the word pharmakeia means, except in the very limited context I listed above.

Upvote 0

Psalms34

◄♫♪♫ תהלים ♫♪♫►
Nov 20, 2004
Southern Calif
✟22,982.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Constitution
Drug abuse or use was otherwise unknown,
Eh, source? Sounds more like opinion. The translation is correct as I presented it, and many notable scholars agree.

Euthanasia? I’m not speaking of poison that kills instantly on usage, but those used even today for Occult practices and for recreational usage by the masses. There is nothing new under the sun, and was used two and four thousand years ago as well. Though, the signs of the end of the age present the usage to be more common than in days of old, it is simply part of the birth pangs of the end of this age which is this generation according to Eze 36 and Mat 24 (fig tree being Israel as is common). Rev 9 It’s not so much that they did not repent of their sorceries, but that they did not repent of their drug usage which is well linked to such Occult practices. You can use the word sorceries or drug usage as well as a few other words, they are well related, but the proper meaning is drug usage by translation and usage. Using such a drug is sorcery and witchcraft and magic arts and etc.., as mentioned it is a mind altering substance to attune one to spiritual influences, it is a tool of the Occult and has been for ages.

There is a spiritual element to everything, life is more than what we perceive with the eye in this realm. There is a great war in progress, we are in the thick of it, a spiritual war. Drug usage is used to influence people into the camp of the enemy, either to join them or to be slain by them, yet in either case it is their master.

Upvote 0

IisJustMe

Jun 23, 2006
Blue Springs, Missouri
✟23,494.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

Psalms34

◄♫♪♫ תהלים ♫♪♫►
Nov 20, 2004
Southern Calif
✟22,982.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Constitution
Dr. J. Vernon McGee, Chuck Smith, Dr. Chuck Missler, Hal Lindsey, all say it’s drugs or drug use. Look at the Strong’s reference you used, it even says drugs. Does that not fit with the common clinical psychology view of it? After all, those psychology teachings were brewed up by sinful man and some on drugs even, so goes to figure. In fact I’m listening to McGee on this at the moment (Rev 9:20-21 Thru the Bible), wanted to verify his name belonged on the list, and he has quite a bit to say on that word and it’s usage being drug usage. Lets not set our anchor upon the ‘norms of society’ to gage our behavioral standards, but upon the never-changing bible to give us counsel into the will of God by His Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0

IisJustMe

Jun 23, 2006
Blue Springs, Missouri
✟23,494.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Dr. J. Vernon McGee, Chuck Smith, Dr. Chuck Missler, Hal Lindsey, all say it’s drugs or drug use/
Though I respect those gentlemen, I find their position untenable. There was no drug culture of the type we see today, and no evidence of drug abuse as one views it today.
Look at the Strong’s reference you used, it even says drugs.
Acknowledged. But as the link I provided earlier today states, "drug use" in the Greek and Roman empires from the 3rd century BC to the 1st century AD was limited to herbs, potions of the type prepared by those who claimed to be witches (hence the preferred translation of pharmakeia as "sorcery" or "witchcraft") or poisons as used in the accepted practice of euthanasia, and in the administration of capitol punishment among the elite and privileged (e.g., Socrates). I respect the men you named, but I respectfully disagree and am certain they would have a difficult time supporting that view historically.
Does that not fit with the common clinical psychology view of it?
From a modern perspective, absolutely. But the Greek and Roman societies did not know such drug use or abuse as we now know. There was no equivalent of "getting high" in those eras.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Psalms34

◄♫♪♫ תהלים ♫♪♫►
Nov 20, 2004
Southern Calif
✟22,982.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Constitution
I included OT verses, so drug use was in existence then as well. We agree that it was not as wide spread back then, that has always been my position regarding the birth pangs of the end of the age as I mentioned, and in fact I believe it will increase more so as the day approaches, so we can’t simply go and ‘throw the baby out with the bath water’ and call it something completely other than what it is. It’s drug use, as has been practiced through the eons for pagan/Occult rituals as well now even more so for recreational usage in our drug culture. As McGee says, it will even increase more during the GT since people will turn to them for relief from God's wrath, that it will be also part of the religious system at the time. We are just seeing a shadow of that now, much in regards to it's acceptance in worldly cultures... and even among the church.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

IisJustMe

Jun 23, 2006
Blue Springs, Missouri
✟23,494.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I included OT verses, so drug use was in existence then as well. We agree that it was not as wide spread back then, that has always my position regarding the birth pangs of the end of the age as I mentioned, and in fact I believe it will increase more so as the day approaches, so we can’t simply go and ‘throw the baby out with the bath water’ and call it something completely other than what it is.
Sorry, AI, I just don't see it. There was no drug abuse then. There was nothing the could abuse. Wine was a problem, not drugs. Dr. Magee is brilliant, but here he's dead wrong.

Upvote 0

Cris413

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 20, 2007
Texas
✟56,828.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Sorry, AI, I just don't see it. There was no drug abuse then. There was nothing the could abuse. Wine was a problem, not drugs. Dr. Magee is brilliant, but here he's dead wrong.

how cool is it that you know absolutely everything about absolutely everything...and pretty much everyone else on the planet knows absolutely nothing...thank goodness we have you set us straight...

Upvote 0

IisJustMe

Jun 23, 2006
Blue Springs, Missouri
✟23,494.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
how cool is it that you know absolutely everything about absolutely everything...and pretty much everyone else on the planet knows absolutely nothing...thank goodness we have you set us straight...
Thank you. Being a mod must be tough.

Upvote 0

Psalms34

◄♫♪♫ תהלים ♫♪♫►
Nov 20, 2004
Southern Calif
✟22,982.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Constitution

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabis_(drug)

Evidence of the inhalation of cannabis smoke can be found as far back as the Neolithic age, as indicated by charred cannabis seeds found in a ritual brazier at an ancient burial site in present day Romania.[4] The most famous users of cannabis were the ancient Hindus of India and Nepal. The herb was called ganjika in Sanskrit ( ganja in modern Indic languages).[6][7] The ancient drug soma, mentioned in the Vedas as a sacred intoxicating hallucinogen, was sometimes associated with cannabis.[8]

Cannabis was also known to the Assyrians, who discovered its psychoactive properties through the Aryans.[9] Using it in some religious ceremonies, they called it qunubu (meaning "way to produce smoke"), a probable origin of the modern word 'Cannabis'.[10] Cannabis was also introduced by the Aryans to the Scythians and Thracians/Dacians, whose shamans (the kapnobatai—“those who walk on smoke/clouds”) burned cannabis flowers to induce a state of trance.[11] Members of the cult of Dionysus, believed to have originated in Thrace, are also thought to have inhaled cannabis smoke. In 2003, a leather basket filled with cannabis leaf fragments and seeds was found next to a 2,500- to 2,800-year-old mummified shaman in the northwestern Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region of China.[12][13]
-------------------

Just a small snippet from the link, more there to read. Notice how and what for it was used for. It's a ceremonial drug which was used for state of trance and hallucination. This undoubtedly is for contacting demons, to open one up to their instruction and or control (unwittingly). To say drugs were not used, well that is just in major error. Unfortunately the current state is from bad to worse, where more people use such substances now, opening themselves up to the same influences. And I'm sure that during the GT it will be common for those that have the mark of the beast to frequently use these drugs as part of their daily ritual under Satin's control. These drugs bring the user under strong delusion, even something supposedly as "harmless" as pot. Needs to be repented of, period. You just can't smoke pot and be a Christian, just as one cannot serve two masters, for it surely does become ones master, and ones tormentor to the delusion it brings.

Upvote 0