Discussion Why is it that Spiritually guided Christians don't "know" scripture?

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
To OP:

Every Christian is supposed to be Spirit guided, although i think some receive more guidance than others.
But when it comes to doctrine and getting to know God, Scripture is a necessity, but so would gathering in His Name be.
Also, the type of guidance is specific to each Christian, because we're all rather different individuals, say like organs of an organism.

The question in the topic-title i.m.o. is (as someone said) more about those who claim to be Spirit filled who indeed (i.m.o.) seem to be weak in Scripture knowledge and Scripture implementation in their personal Christianity.

And then there are people like me, who seem not to be Spirit filled and who should read more Bible and not avoid the Old Testament, but are occupied with their feelings within themselves (because they're depressed or frustrated...)

Upvote 0

toLiJC

Jun 18, 2012
✟35,877.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
What is the thought process that leads to this conclusion?

How does one deal with the agitation and loneliness one may feel occasionally upon hearing this frequently but not being understood (I'm being personally transparent here).

This is the evaluation or conclusion reached by many (one in the Title). I want to hear other's answers as well, and not just the one given to me so I might have a better understanding.

I encourage complete transparency to the answers here. I will find them helpful and encouraging. Thanks.

Here is Scripture for further elaboration: 1 Corinthians 2:6-16 regarding the "natural person" and the "spiritual person" in regards to those who lean more on their own understanding and those that lean more on Gods understanding, even though we ALL (all who are saved) have the Holy Spirit.

the more correct translation of 1 Cor 2:15 is "truly spiritual", not just "spiritual", because there are spiritual rules specifically for the people that practice faith - universal principles of practicing faith which are also commandments, namely the Ten Holy Commandments of God: you should not have any other god/christ/spirit besides the true One(Exodus 20:3), you should not create any spiritual theory or practice in conjunction with any thing that is in the heaven or in the earth or in the water under the earth, neither venerate such things, nor serve them (i.e. even if not you but someone else created/professes them), i.e. the worshipers should not have spiritual/religious beliefs or traditions that are not entirely of the true Lord God(Exodus 20:4-6), you should not use the faith for evil/unclean/self-interested purposes(Exodus 20:7), you at least should not defile the creation of God, and mostly the human being(Exodus 20:8-11), you should honor your father and mother, and these are mostly the true Saints(Exodus 20:12), you should not cause harm/suffering to your neighbor by direct impact(Exodus 20:13), you should not cause harm/suffering to your neighbor by rendering or by distressing them(Exodus 20:14), you should not cause harm/suffering to your neighbor by taking(Exodus 20:15), you should not cause harm/suffering to your neighbor by testification(Exodus 20:16), you should not cause harm/suffering to your neighbor by wish(Exodus 20:17) - you also should not harm the property of your neighbor that they have as an inheritance/legacy from the true Lord God(Exodus 20:17)

if any worshiper breaks/violates any of these rules, then the true Lord God is very likely to not trust him/her, and such people often turned out to be victims of angels of satan, false prophets/spiritual teachers and devilish spirits, in other words, deceived/lied

Blessings

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Nah, hardly (i.m.h.o.).
The self of a human is flesh, and love is altruistic.

@Hieronymus - the commandment "love your neighbour as yourself" includes the words "as yourself" if you do not love yourself, the teaching is meaningless.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
@Hieronymus - the commandment "love your neighbour as yourself" includes the words "as yourself" if you do not love yourself, the teaching is meaningless.

Not really, even a person who doesn't love themselves, they also dont want abused by others, and can still apply that law in their heart. Also, a person who don't love themselves can be contrite and humble, and can find the Lords love, which will help them love the Lord, and once that is realized they will not dislike themselves anymore.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Not really, even a person who doesn't love themselves, they also dont want abused by others, and can still apply that law in their heart. Also, a person who don't love themselves can be contrite and humble, and can find the Lords love, which will help them love the Lord, and once that is realized they will not dislike themselves anymore.

So if I love others as I chastize myself ... is that fair? ;)

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So if I love others as I chastize myself ... is that fair? ;)

This is why the Lord taught us many things, so we can love. The lord said judge not others. However, in could be said that in church the elders have the right to judge and discipline.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
This is why the Lord taught us many things, so we can love. The lord said judge not others. However, in could be said that in church the elders have the right to judge and discipline.

@W2L - Okay, what's the application for non-elders?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
@W2L - So how do you love yourself, so you can love others as you love yourself?

It depends on what you mean by loving yourself. Some people don't like themselves, yet they don't want mistreated either, so they can obey the law by not mistreating others. However, if a person is insane and wants to be mistreated, then they can still apply the law by understanding that if they were the other person, and didn't want mistreated, then they themselves should not mistreat that person. Its about treating people the way we want treated, we want to be treated how we want, so we treat others as they want treated, not as we want to treat them.

Upvote 0

Razare

God gave me a throne
Nov 20, 2014
✟10,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Here's the issue to the question in the title...

Early church did not know scripture, but it was led spiritually by the Holy Spirit.

The apostles and Jews knew scripture, but this was a Gentile church abroad.

Today, we have people trying to be teachers who have never been led by the spirit that well. They do this because they have the NT and OT, so they think they know a lot. The spiritual early church didn't have the NT.

The truth is a balance of the two... Holy Spirit + Scriptures => Action/Results

But you see, when you do this, and you balance the two to produce living results, you're forced to leave the most teachings behind because 99% of teachers who "know scripture" don't actually know much.

They quote verses and make teachings, but if it doesn't look like Jesus Christ walking on Earth, it's useless stuff.

Teaching is also one of the main problems with the church today.

All pastors, evangelists, apostles, and prophets... all of them became teachers and hold the office of teacher. The church is choking and dying on teachers, while all the other offices were abandoned.

"Oh, that sure was a good teaching!" "Yes, I agree." - Most church discussions. Never did they consider the guy teaching them is being disobedient, because he was supposed to be out on the street evangelizing to the lost 1 on 1, teaching people who don't know scriptures, and that the rest of the congregation was meant to do the same thing and learn by his example.

But no... we need more teachings and conferences!

If the body of Christ did 2% of what it has been taught, Christianity would be reborn instantly.

Reactions: Victor E.
Upvote 0

Victor E.

Disciple of Christ
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2016
U.S
✟201,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Here's the issue to the question in the title...

Early church did not know scripture, but it was led spiritually by the Holy Spirit.

The apostles and Jews knew scripture, but this was a Gentile church abroad.

Today, we have people trying to be teachers who have never been led by the spirit that well. They do this because they have the NT and OT, so they think they know a lot. The spiritual early church didn't have the NT.

The truth is a balance of the two... Holy Spirit + Scriptures => Action/Results

But you see, when you do this, and you balance the two to produce living results, you're forced to leave the most teachings behind because 99% of teachers who "know scripture" don't actually know much.

They quote verses and make teachings, but if it doesn't look like Jesus Christ walking on Earth, it's useless stuff.

Teaching is also one of the main problems with the church today.

All pastors, evangelists, apostles, and prophets... all of them became teachers and hold the office of teacher. The church is choking and dying on teachers, while all the other offices were abandoned.

"Oh, that sure was a good teaching!" "Yes, I agree." - Most church discussions. Never did they consider the guy teaching them is being disobedient, because he was supposed to be out on the street evangelizing to the lost 1 on 1, teaching people who don't know scriptures, and that the rest of the congregation was meant to do the same thing and learn by his example.

But no... we need more teachings and conferences!

If the body of Christ did 2% of what it has been taught, Christianity would be reborn instantly.

Stop making so much sense. The professionals hate it when you make it far simpler than what they have been "taught".

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Re: Why is it that Spiritually guided Christians don't "know" scripture?

I've never met anyone that knows Scripture. We all have partial understanding.

However, there have been people who are spiritually guided who don't know Scripture. That would be because God chose to guide them.

For most of us, being spiritually guided and knowing scripture are not separate issues. Understanding Scripture is spiritual guidance.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums