Discussion Why is it that Spiritually guided Christians don't "know" scripture?

Victor E.

Disciple of Christ
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2016
U.S
✟201,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What is the thought process that leads to this conclusion?

How does one deal with the agitation and loneliness one may feel occasionally upon hearing this frequently but not being understood (I'm being personally transparent here).

This is the evaluation or conclusion reached by many (one in the Title). I want to hear other's answers as well, and not just the one given to me so I might have a better understanding.

I encourage complete transparency to the answers here. I will find them helpful and encouraging. Thanks.

Here is Scripture for further elaboration: 1 Corinthians 2:6-16 regarding the "natural person" and the "spiritual person" in regards to those who lean more on their own understanding and those that lean more on Gods understanding, even though we ALL (all who are saved) have the Holy Spirit.

Last edited:

jiminpa

Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2004
✟283,407.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm not sure I'm following you. It sounds like you have a second question in the middle of the question in the subject.

As to having a problem with the terms spiritual man or spiritual woman, I'm sorry that it's a problem for you.

My observation is that claiming that the the more spiritually minded don't know scripture is almost always a false accusation by those who have rejected scripture but want theological superiority. They want to seen by men as the keepers of sound doctrine, even as they reject the bible, and so they must claim those adhering to scripture are scripturally weak to keep their own followers from seeing and turning from the unbelief that these "keepers of sound doctrine" are selling. Many of these unbiblical teachers are themselves blind.

Reactions: Kenny'sID
Upvote 0

Farine

Jun 30, 2016
Santa Clarita, CA
✟28,882.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What is the thought process that leads to this conclusion ?

God does not contradict Himself. Revelation must.. MUST agree with God's Written Word. That's one of the reasons Scriptures exist. 2 Timothy 3:14-17

But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have become convinced of, because you know those from whom you learned it, 15 and how from infancy you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.

How can one teach or train without an appeal to this resource? And how could one sit under a person who would not use this? That's a failsafe for the student. If a teacher is not using the Bible (correctly--i might add), then the student should not agree to be taught by that person.

So to come back to the thought process that one can teach solely from Revelation unrestrained by conformity to the Bible, one has to remember what revelation does. Revelation is a temptation to exalt oneself.

1 Corinthians 8:1-3

Now about food sacrificed to idols: We know that “We all possess knowledge.” But knowledge puffs up while love builds up. 2 Those who think they know something do not yet know as they ought to know. 3 But whoever loves God is known by God.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist

How does one deal with the agitation and loneliness one may feel occasionally (I'm being personally transparent here).

This is the judgement typically meted to the "Spiritual man" or "Spiritual woman" I find those terms..less than desirable. I have my answers, but I want to hear other's answers as well.

I encourage complete transparency to the answers here. I will find them helpful and encouraging. Thanks.
It's difficult to answer because of the section you placed this in.
Realize if this thread gets moved where we can answer,
and someone(anyone) posts the Truth but it is not comfortable ,
you might not like it.

Upvote 0

Farine

Jun 30, 2016
Santa Clarita, CA
✟28,882.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Oh, a second observation about the loneliness that one has being attuned to the Spirit of God.

Come to a place like this where there are other people who are also awake and alert in their spirituality. Be aware of the gifts of God in other people. FINALLY, there is someone who understands what you are saying!!! We can pour into the lives of other people who are functioning as mere people-- who cannot feed our spirits. They don't even know what we are talking about. Kingdom dialogues are very different from the water cooler conversations you hear.

My take? Don't get so comfortable being a solo act that you miss the opportunity to greet and enjoy fellow Believers.

Upvote 0

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟163,485.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

How does one deal with the agitation and loneliness one may feel occasionally (I'm being personally transparent here).

This is the judgement typically meted to the "Spiritual man" or "Spiritual woman" I find those terms..less than desirable. I have my answers, but I want to hear other's answers as well.

How about giving some examples, or being more specific on your question? I personally see spiritual mindedness as a positive attribute of a Christian. 1 Cor. 2. I also have met many "spirit-filled" people (among others) who don't know scripture very well. But what do you mean by "spiritually guided" Christians? The Bible says that "those who are led by the Spirit are the sons of God," which means obversely that anyone not Spirit-guided is not of God.

Can you explain, or reword your question?
TD:)

Upvote 0

Victor E.

Disciple of Christ
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2016
U.S
✟201,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure I'm following you. It sounds like you have a second question in the middle of the question in the subject.

As to having a problem with the terms spiritual man or spiritual woman, I'm sorry that it's a problem for you.

My observation is that claiming that the the more spiritually minded don't know scripture is almost always a false accusation by those who have rejected scripture but want theological superiority. They want to seen by men as the keepers of sound doctrine, even as they reject the bible, and so they must claim those adhering to scripture are scripturally weak to keep their own followers from seeing and turning from the unbelief that these "keepers of sound doctrine" are selling. Many of these unbiblical teachers are themselves blind.

Those terms are not a problem for me. They seem to be a problem for others, although I find them so obvious to some that they become painfully complicated through a different understanding than was intended. I do find them humorous for this reason and a bit agitating at the same time. Thanks for the feedback.

Upvote 0

Victor E.

Disciple of Christ
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2016
U.S
✟201,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It's difficult to answer because of the section you placed this in.
Realize if this thread gets moved where we can answer,
and someone(anyone) posts the Truth but it is not comfortable ,
you might not like it.

It doesn't matter if I like the "Truth" or not I wanted feedback and stimulating input. Discussion does not mean we all end up agreeing. That would be slightly agitating.

Upvote 0

Victor E.

Disciple of Christ
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2016
U.S
✟201,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I disagree. I think this is the best place for this question.

Why ask the false accusers for truth? If they were truthful they wouldn't make false accusations.

Thank you. I posted here to prevent answers founded solely on a "confirmation bias". I believe most all here would have a better understanding than their own.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Victor E.

Disciple of Christ
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2016
U.S
✟201,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
How about giving some examples, or being more specific on your question? I personally see spiritual mindedness as a positive attribute of a Christian. 1 Cor. 2. I also have met many "spirit-filled" people (among others) who don't know scripture very well. But what do you mean by "spiritually guided" Christians? The Bible says that "those who are led by the Spirit are the sons of God," which means obversely that anyone not Spirit-guided is not of God.

Can you explain, or reword your question?
TD:)

Apologies I will re-word for elaboration. It may be misleading for some.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
"Therefore it's not scripturally based?" hehehe :)

I recall the days I would endlessly study scripture, apply scripture, and feed the seed into my inner being. One day, I learned why it was said there was a good seed and a bad seed ... my theology drastically changed.

When the seed took bloom.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
It may be common for Holy Spirit guided christians to see "the seed" in a teaching and therefore know the fruit it will bear. Depending on how rude their awakening was to this reality and dimension of scriptural/God truth ... they may seem entirely uninterested in theology because no one is talking about anything good in their general surroundings.

Reactions: Victor E.
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Mar 14, 2012
over here in Texas
✟63,321.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
God does not contradict Himself. Revelation must.. MUST agree with God's Written Word. That's one of the reasons Scriptures exist. 2 Timothy 3:14-17

But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have become convinced of, because you know those from whom you learned it, 15 and how from infancy you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.

How can one teach or train without an appeal to this resource? And how could one sit under a person who would not use this? That's a failsafe for the student. If a teacher is not using the Bible (correctly--i might add), then the student should not agree to be taught by that person.

So to come back to the thought process that one can teach solely from Revelation unrestrained by conformity to the Bible, one has to remember what revelation does. Revelation is a temptation to exalt oneself.

1 Corinthians 8:1-3

Now about food sacrificed to idols: We know that “We all possess knowledge.” But knowledge puffs up while love builds up. 2 Those who think they know something do not yet know as they ought to know. 3 But whoever loves God is known by God.
Amen

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

How does one deal with the agitation and loneliness one may feel occasionally upon hearing this frequently but not being understood (I'm being personally transparent here).

This is the evaluation or conclusion reached by many (one in the Title). I want to hear other's answers as well, and not just the one given to me so I might have a better understanding.

Here is Scripture for further elaboration: 1 Corinthians 2:6-16 regarding the "natural person" and the "spiritual person" in regards to those who lean more on their own understanding and those that lean more on Gods understanding, even though we ALL (all who are saved) have the Holy Spirit.
I get the feeling that a lot of what is being said is a possible contiuation of a conflicting discussion elswhere ??..maybe.
So i will just address the thread title question.
-Why is it that Spiritually guided Christians don't "know" scripture?-

First sub question-which spirit are they being guided by? Assume nothing.
2nd sub question - there is no prerequisite ,knowing the scripture is not a condition one must fulfilbefore recieving the holy spirit.so the question ,why are so many who "claim" to be filled with the holy spirit unfamiliar with the scriptures After they have had the holy Spirit for some time,when acess to those scriptures is presently so readily available to them?
Answer..- they dont love God enough to care to read them all that much.
They are happy to accept bottle fed popular versus which are repeated so often they have lost context and has meaning blurred into an ambiguous wash of self justifying luke warmness.

Upvote 0

Bob Carabbio

Old guy -
Dec 22, 2010
Glenn Hts. TX
✟35,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Reactions: Hieronymus
Upvote 0

jiminpa

Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2004
✟283,407.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Because a good percentage of 'em have never read it, and have limited interest in it.

Simple as that.
...and yet Spirit-filled Christians are far more knowledgeable and in accordance with scripture than most of the rest of those claiming to be Christians.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
@jiminpa - the basis of scripture is to Love God, Love yourself, Love your neighbour as yourself and don't hurt anybody. When one is walking in the Spirit, it's easier to just keep it simple.

Upvote 0