Feb 18, 2007
✟9,953.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That God was once tempted with Evil?

Is it because we have this scripture:

Jas 1:13 Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man: ?
But, what if there was a time long before the foundation of the world, that this could be said, and He overcame it?

And if we are to see The Father when we look at Jesus, then there is no doubt He was tempted by evil. Yet without sin. So why not The Father?

Think about it please, before you post.

Reactions: anonymouswho

Steeno7

Not I...but Christ
Jan 22, 2014
ONUG
✟22,549.00
Faith
Christian

Jas 1:13 Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man: ?
But, what if there was a time long before the foundation of the world, that this could be said, and He overcame it?

And if we are to see The Father when we look at Jesus, then there is no doubt He was tempted by evil. Yet without sin. So why not The Father?

It was as a man, not God, that Jesus was tempted.

Upvote 0

2KnowHim

Dying to Live
Feb 18, 2007
✟9,953.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Joh 5:19 Then answered Jesus and said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, The Son can do nothing of himself, but what he seeth the Father do: for what things soever he doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise.
Joh 5:20 For the Father loveth the Son, and sheweth him all things that himself doeth: and he will shew him greater works than these, that ye may marvel.

Joh 8:38 I speak that which I have seen with my Father: and ye do that which ye have seen with your father.

Reactions: Noxot
Upvote 0

2KnowHim

Dying to Live
Feb 18, 2007
✟9,953.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, that only proves that He can't be tempted today, It doesn't prove that He never had to overcome it first.
There are plenty of times in the Old test. where He was provoked to do evil against the children of Isreal and other nations, but He didn't, He repented of it instead, I call that overcoming.

But in Jesus we see it Finished and put to death, or at least some do.

Upvote 0

Steeno7

Not I...but Christ
Jan 22, 2014
ONUG
✟22,549.00
Faith
Christian
No, that only proves that He can't be tempted today, It doesn't prove that He never had to overcome it first.
There are plenty of times in the Old test. where He was provoked to do evil against the children of Isreal and other nations, but He didn't, He repented of it instead, I call that overcoming.

God had to overcome? Really?

Reactions: Messy
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

James Is Back

CF's Official Locksmith
Aug 21, 2014
Oklahoma
✟32,480.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

God is the same yesterday,today and in the future.

Upvote 0

2KnowHim

Dying to Live
Feb 18, 2007
✟9,953.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, Really....Do you think that God would expect us to overcome something that He Himself did not face and overcome first.
Or have you never read?

Exo 32:14 And the LORD repented of the evil which he thought to do unto his people.

Deu_32:21 They have moved me to jealousy with that which is not God; they have provoked me to anger with their vanities: and I will move them to jealousy with those which are not a people; I will provoke them to anger with a foolish nation.

2Sa_24:16 And when the angel stretched out his hand upon Jerusalem to destroy it, the LORD repented him of the evil, and said to the angel that destroyed the people, It is enough: stay now thine hand. And the angel of the LORD was by the threshingplace of Araunah the Jebusite.

2Ki_21:15 Because they have done that which was evil in my sight, and have provoked me to anger, since the day their fathers came forth out of Egypt, even unto this day.

Upvote 0

Steeno7

Not I...but Christ
Jan 22, 2014
ONUG
✟22,549.00
Faith
Christian
Yes, Really....Do you think that God would expect us to overcome something that He Himself did not face and overcome first.
Or have you never read?

Exo 32:14 And the LORD repented of the evil which he thought to do unto his people.

Deu_32:21 They have moved me to jealousy with that which is not God; they have provoked me to anger with their vanities: and I will move them to jealousy with those which are not a people; I will provoke them to anger with a foolish nation.

2Sa_24:16 And when the angel stretched out his hand upon Jerusalem to destroy it, the LORD repented him of the evil, and said to the angel that destroyed the people, It is enough: stay now thine hand. And the angel of the LORD was by the threshingplace of Araunah the Jebusite.

2Ki_21:15 Because they have done that which was evil in my sight, and have provoked me to anger, since the day their fathers came forth out of Egypt, even unto this day.

Your conclusions are pure ridiculousness.

Upvote 0

ob77

Jun 1, 2014
✟470.00
Faith
Christian

The "foundation" you speak of is "Kebow", in the Hebrew which means "overthrow" and has to do with Satan losing the war in heaven and thus being overthrown in his attempt to take over God's throne. God has laid out what is evil and what is not and though He at times wishes He never made man to begin with, He allows things to proceed according to plan. God's own household, the elohim, were with the Father when the world was framed, way , way , back in time. The trouble started with Satan, when he chose to try to gain the love of God's own begotten, so that he, Satan, could share in the administration himself, without continuing to be the guardian of the throne as his only purpose. Satan was created having free will, and he crossed the line when he became jealous of the children of God, for they held a higher rank and status than he did. So, he put his foot down, so to speak and formulated a plan which would sway at least a third of the children of God to his way of thinking. Satan has no ability to create, only to mimic or repeat failed ideas until they work in his favor, Satan also uses mutation to bring about his will to deceive, manipulate and guide things along his way. Even from afar, he does this with the help of his own offspring who are born in the flesh here, but have steadfast allegiance to satan, having been swayed from an earlier time when they dwelled in heaven. God will not be tempted and cannot be, for He knows how everything will play out in advance. In the fullness of time, He will lose nothing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

2KnowHim

Dying to Live
Feb 18, 2007
✟9,953.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God was not tempted by evil in Heaven because evil is an earthly thing that was not allowed to be near God. Once Lucifer became evil it caused his fall from grace.

Lucifer is not referring to The Devil or an Angel that is a man made doctrine. The Devil was a murderer from the beginning, and did not abide in Truth, so how could he have ever been ..Perfect once, full of wisdom, beautiful etc. etc.??

Joh 8:44 Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.

Upvote 0

2KnowHim

Dying to Live
Feb 18, 2007
✟9,953.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God was not tempted by evil in Heaven because evil is an earthly thing that was not allowed to be near God. Once Lucifer became evil it caused his fall from grace.

If evil is an earthly thing as you say, ...then how could it first be in heaven as you say? I mean after all isn't this where the "so called rebellion" first took place... in the heavens? It doesn't sound like an earthly thing to me.

And if it was Satan or the devil that first sinned, then why is it written, that by one man, sin entered the world? Why doesn't it say by one angel sin entered the world?

Upvote 0

Wgw

Pray For Brussels!
May 24, 2015
✟15,107.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
For God to be tempted would require that evil have an independent existence and be co-eternal with God, thus, dualism. And furthermore, since God and evil are apart from each other in this cosmology, you actually require an additional coeternal void to separate God from evil. And then you have to explain how that void came to be, which usually requires adding another super-deity that created God, the void, and evil, but is itself none of the above and is impassable. This proved to be the philosophical undoing of the strongly dualistic Manichean religion.

Zoroastrianism, which along with Christianity was a major influence on the syncretic Manichaean religion, in the distant past was for a time dualistoc, with the good God Ahura Mazda and the evil devil Angra Mainyu regarded as coeternal enemies. However this caused a number of problems, as it caused some Zoroastrians to doubt the prophesized victory of Good over Evil, if both were co-eternal and of equal strength. Also the question of how both came to be resulted in a major schismatic movement, Yurvanism, which was the state religion of the Sassanian Empire but is now extinct. This religion posited that Ahura Mazda and Angra Mainyu were siblings, creations of the impassable deity Yurvan, or Ormuzd, who created time, and contained both good and evil but only as potentialities, being entirely neutral itself. That sect died out when the Sassanian Empire was conquered by the Muslim Caliphate.

The surviving Zoroastrians of today now almost universally reject dualism and have adopted a more or less Christian view that Angra Mainyu is a creation of Ahura Mazda that, granted copious free will, decided to become evil. This provides theological assurance as to the ultimate triumph of Ahura Mazda. However traces of dualism remain; the Zoroastrians still believe that unpleasant creatures like serpents, insects and so forth, and also cats, which they foolishly hate, were created by Angra Mainyu in order to frustrate the good creations of Ahura Mazda like humans, gardens, trees, the haoma plant, flowers, and of course dogs; killing a sheep dog even accidentally was historically punishable by 500 lashes in their faith.

Christianity, and its predeccessors Judaism, Yahwism, and the religion of Adam, Noah, Shem and Melchizidek, being the true religion from antiquity, sidestep this obvious theological error by correctly positing that God has no equal; God is impassable and is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow. He grants His creatures free will, and one sins by consciously moving in opposition to His uncreated energies of infinite love, grace and mercy, and thus experiences these energies as scorn, chastisement and wrath; God becomes to those who hate him a consuming fire. To save humanity from our sins, the Word of God, the second person of the triune Godhead, took flesh pf the Virgin Mary by the Holy Spirit and thus became incarnate, uniting humanity with divinity in His person and tramplimg down death by death through his sacrifice on the cross; then, just as He rose after three days, we shall be raised, to face His judgement, but by grace through faith, a living faith that is made apparent through good works of charity, as opposed to the dead intellectual faith advocated by some Protestants, we ahall be saved, and become sons of God through adoption.

Thus Christ was in his humanity alone tempted, being fully human. However, at no time was the divine essence of the Holy Trinity tempted; this is impassable, and thus while the Word of God, as a man, was tempted, God was not, and is indeed incapable of beimg tempted by definition, and by definition incapable of sinning.

Upvote 0