Why is it so difficult to obey God's commands?

Achilles6129

Veteran
Feb 19, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
✟29,682.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
Hello,

This question concerns a number of statements made in the New Testament:

"14 For the gate is small and the way is narrow that leads to life, and there are few who find it." Mt. 7:14 (NASB)

"24 The disciples were amazed at His words. But Jesus *answered again and *said to them, “Children, how hard it is to enter the kingdom of God!" Mk. 10:24 (NASB)

"18 And if it is with difficulty that the righteous is saved, what will become of the godless man and the sinner?" 1 Pet. 4:18 (NASB)

So, why is it so difficult to obey God's commands?

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Hello,

"14 For the gate is small and the way is narrow that leads to life, and there are few who find it." Mt. 7:14 (NASB)

"24 The disciples were amazed at His words. But Jesus *answered again and *said to them, “Children, how hard it is to enter the kingdom of God!" Mk. 10:24 (NASB)

"18 And if it is with difficulty that the righteous is saved, what will become of the godless man and the sinner?" 1 Pet. 4:18 (NASB)

I take it that you aren't saying that this isn't hard or impossible to do...but rather that you are asking why the commands are so hard?

If that's it, I'd say that they are hard because God is perfect. To be perfect would necessarily be a stout challenge, wouldn't it?

Upvote 0

Achilles6129

Veteran
Feb 19, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
✟29,682.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
I take it that you aren't saying that this isn't hard or impossible to do...but rather that you are asking why the commands are so hard?

If that's it, I'd say that they are hard because God is perfect. To be perfect would necessarily be a stout challenge, wouldn't it?
Actually, the passages just quoted illustrate that it is extremely difficult to obey God's commands. I would also suggest looking at the letters to the 7 churches in the book of Revelation.

I do think that there is something to your answer (God is perfect), but couldn't God have made it easier to obey his commands? And if so, why wouldn't he?

Perhaps there is something in the nature of God that makes it difficult for some reason, just like there may be something in the nature of God which would compel him to place the tree of the knowledge of good/evil in the garden of eden.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Actually, the passages just quoted illustrate that it is extremely difficult to obey God's commands. I would also suggest looking at the letters to the 7 churches in the book of Revelation.

I do think that there is something to your answer (God is perfect), but couldn't God have made it easier to obey his commands? And if so, why wouldn't he?

Why should he have done that? If justice is the purpose, what is gained by saying "Here's something that just about anyone can pull off with one hand tied behind his back. That's what I will accept as worthy of me?"

Upvote 0

Tangible

Decision Theology = Ex Opere Operato
May 29, 2009
cruce tectum
Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Because we're not God.
clip-art-bingo-442587.jpg

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,617.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
-"Whoever has my commandments and keeps them, he it is who loves me. And he who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him and manifest myself to him.” (John 14:21)
-"If you love me, you will keep my commandments." (John 14:15)

"So, why is it so difficult to obey God's commands?" The answer includes being stiff-necked (II Chron 36:13, Jer 17:23, Acts 7:51); our flesh (Gal 5:19-21; 26; Rom 8:6); and difficulties of being in the world but not of the world (I John 2:16). But we can, among other things, repent of our sins (I John 1:7-10; II Cor 7:10 ASV, Matt 6:12); be lead by The Spirit (Psa 143:10, Rom 8:14); forgive (Matt 6:14); walk in the fear of The Lord (Psa 111:10; Acts 9:31); and and have the fruit of The Spirit (Gal 5:22-25, Eph 5:9).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bugkiller

May 16, 2015
✟80,400.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Hello,

The argument here in CF is about what commands we're obligated to keep to possess salvation. Love is a tough command.

bugkiller

Upvote 0

bugkiller

May 16, 2015
✟80,400.00
Faith
Non-Denom

Perhaps there is something in the nature of God that makes it difficult for some reason, just like there may be something in the nature of God which would compel him to place the tree of the knowledge of good/evil in the garden of eden.
It has to do with the free will we're all born with.

bugkiller

Upvote 0

bugkiller

May 16, 2015
✟80,400.00
Faith
Non-Denom
-"Whoever has my commandments and keeps them, he it is who loves me. And he who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him and manifest myself to him.” (John 14:21)
-"If you love me, you will keep my commandments." (John 14:15)

"So, why is it so difficult to obey God's commands?" The answer includes being stiff-necked (II Chron 36:13, Jer 17:23, Acts 7:51);l our flesh (Gal 5:19-21; 26; Rom 8:6); and difficulties of being in the world but not of the world (I John 2:16). But we can, among other things, repent of our sins (I John 1:7-10; II Cor 7:10 ASV, Matt 6:12); be lead by The Spirit (Psa 143:10, Rom 8:14); forgive (Matt 6:14); walk in the fear of The Lord (Psa 111:10; Acts 9:31); and and have the fruit of The Spirit (Gal 5:22-25, Eph 5:9).
The issue raised here in CF are what are the commands of Jesus. The verses from John you quote are the favorites of those who contend Jesus issued the 10 Cs. The next chapter is completely ignored by them.

bugkiller

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Achilles6129

Veteran
Feb 19, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
✟29,682.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
The argument here in CF is about what commands we're obligated to keep to possess salvation. Love is a tough command.

bugkiller

I would say that any salvific command that Christ gives would be necessary for salvation. So, for example, Christ indicates in Luke 14:26 that unless you "hate your father/mother/sisters/brothers/children/own life" you cannot be his disciple. Obviously this is a salvific command. However, there are other examples where Christ gives commands that are non-salvific - for instance, the command to "do this in remembrance of me" at the last supper appears to be a non-salvific command.

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟335,689.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I would say that any salvific command that Christ gives would be necessary for salvation. So, for example, Christ indicates in Luke 14:26 that unless you "hate your father/mother/sisters/brothers/children/own life" you cannot be his disciple. Obviously this is a salvific command. However, there are other examples where Christ gives commands that are non-salvific - for instance, the command to "do this in remembrance of me" at the last supper appears to be a non-salvific command.
I think that the hating brothers and sisters, mothers and fathers etc needs to be followed with the next verse
Luke 14:27
"And whoever does not carry their cross and follow me cannot be my disciple."

Picking up the cross is associated with another verse which shows that is what the salvific command is when not taken out of context.
Matthew 16:24-26
24 Then Jesus told his disciples, “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. 25 For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it. 26 For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his soul? Or what shall a man give in return for his soul?"

Look at this
Galatians 2:20
"I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me."

It can't be said that Christ hates brothers and sisters, mothers and fathers etc , just only that love must be based on Christ and His love living thru us, not based on natural love.

Upvote 0

Tangible

May 29, 2009
cruce tectum
Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Lots of confusion between law and gospel here. God's law is certainly good. It makes life on earth possible and beneficial, it shows us our sin and need for salvation, and it teaches us specifics about how to love our neighbor. But the law does not save us nor can it do so. The law always accuses us of our failures since no one is perfect. Ultimately, the law only brings condemnation and death to sinners like us.

The gospel, however, requires nothing of us. It is a gift given us freely by God for the sake of what Christ has done for us and for our salvation. It is God who gives us the faith by which we believe the gospel and are saved.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tangible

May 29, 2009
cruce tectum
Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
The gospel requires our obedience, wouldn't you agree?
If any part of the gospel depends on me it is no longer good news. In fact it becomes the worst news possible.

I can never be obedient enough, sincere enough, intentional enough, or zealous enough to warrant my salvation. If any part of my salvation depends on me I am rightfully and justly doomed.

The gospel is the power of God for salvation, not the power of man to save himself.

Reactions: Steeno7
Upvote 0

Achilles6129

Veteran
Feb 19, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
✟29,682.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
If any part of the gospel depends on me it is no longer good news. In fact it becomes the worst news possible.

I can never be obedient enough, sincere enough, intentional enough, or zealous enough to warrant my salvation. If any part of my salvation depends on me I am rightfully and justly doomed.

The gospel is the power of God for salvation, not the power of man to save himself.
I never said it was the power of man to save himself. Are you saying that the gospel doesn't require obedience?

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟335,689.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think that "cooperation" with Him is what God wants rather than a blind "obedience" to what anyone may believe that He commands. Honestly I don't believe He commands us to DO very much, His commands are more in DON'T's.
The one thing that is essential is prayer tho. The 120 disciples prayed 10 days in cooperation with God before the new church came into being, it takes a lot to reject sin that can only be done in cooperation with God. Even prayer isn't effectual w/o cooperation Ephesians 6:18

Another of His commands are to 'put on' the full armour. That's a reckoning of ourselves into the position and privilege that we are in Christ, as much as reckoning ourselves dead to sin. Coming to the mediator when we mess up is another commandment. 1 Peter 4:19

Revelations, in the messages to the churches, are all about cooperation with the Risen Lord to become over-comers, and those who didn't suffered loss. Revelation 3:5 Even in those messages it wasn't about what they didn't do as it was about what they did to move away from Him.

Upvote 0

Achilles6129

Veteran
Feb 19, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
✟29,682.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
Well, the Sermon on the Mount is full of commands that are obviously salvific, since at the end Christ says that those that obey the commands will be indestructible while those that don't will be destroyed. There are also numerous other commands in the NT that are clearly salvific as it's clearly indicated that those that do these things will inherit the kingdom of heaven and those that don't won't:

" 19 Now the works of the flesh are obvious: fornication, impurity, licentiousness, 20 idolatry, sorcery, enmities, strife, jealousy, anger, quarrels, dissensions, factions, 21 envy, drunkenness, carousing, and things like these. I am warning you, as I warned you before: those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God." Gal. 5:19-21 (NRSV)

"29 They were filled with every kind of wickedness, evil, covetousness, malice. Full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, craftiness, they are gossips, 30 slanderers, God-haters, insolent, haughty, boastful, inventors of evil, rebellious toward parents, 31 foolish, faithless, heartless, ruthless. 32 They know God’s decree, that those who practice such things deserve to die—yet they not only do them but even applaud others who practice them." Rom. 1:29-31 (NRSV)

" 7 to those who by patiently doing good seek for glory and honor and immortality, he will give eternal life; 8 while for those who are self-seeking and who obey not the truth but wickedness, there will be wrath and fury." Rom. 2:7-8 (NRSV)

Etc., etc.

Upvote 0