Mrs. Luther073082

Commit to the LORD whatever you do - Proverbs 16:3
Jan 18, 2006
✟41,836.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Get used to writing papers. I'm in my senior year and I have been writing AT LEAST 4 papers PER WEEK (usually many more).

This week, for example, I've got 5 papers due -- 2 papers for advanced child psychology, 2 papers related to my internship, and 1 paper for my intro to counseling class. I also have two smaller writing assignments due. AND I'm also in the process of preparing for a presentation, studying for 2 exams, getting ready administer psychological tests for my psych testing class, and doing my internship hours.

For future reference, this site is awesome:

Son of Citation Machine

^Seriously. :thumbsup:

There's also this thing called Refworks -- your university library might have it to use with some of their databases. When I am doing research in some of my library's databases, I can export the information of research I'm looking at to Refworks and it will make citations automatically for me (which is even better than citation machine because I don't even have to type anything in). :)

I KNOW! What the heck is APA style anyway? I still have no idea. Oh well the teacher I have now doesn't seem to care.

This is how I got through high school English. I would write about the topic that we were assigned and get an A or B because supposedly I'm a really good writer! We would turn in a rough draft, then turn in the final draft. I just WROTE the paper.

Now I get to college. We have to write 5 papers (2 in the class I'm taking now yay!) in one quarter. They have to be different styles. Never had to do that in HS. Not to mention you have to go through this big long writing process which I never did in HS. I'm the kind of person that just thinks of stuff and writes it down, so I had no clue how to do this pre-writing crap.
Oh and we always have to have a thesis statement and my thesis statement is never profound enough for my teacher. Oh well it's a new experience but hopefully I'll get through it somehow.

APA stands for the American Psychological Association. That style is used to cite sources used in the social sciences. People who publish their research in scientific journals use it.

The reason things are different now as opposed to in high school is because they are trying to train you how to write for the rest of your college years, for grad school if you're going, and most importantly for a future career. Just being creative isn't going to cut it for the writing involved in most careers. You have to be able to get your point across clearly and in an organized manner as well as be able to back up your points with legit sources and research.

I hated my first college English class, too, but I understand why they are so tough about papers now. They are just trying to prepare you, and by being tough they are preparing you well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Kiwicee

Senior Veteran
Nov 8, 2004
Way down south in Mississippi!
✟10,211.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have definitely had my share of writing papers...

I have written one 20 page paper and one 33 page paper.

My Comp I class consisted or two papers a week for a summer class (4 weeks)
My Comp II class had a paper a week.
Lit I&II had papers every few weeks.

I had a class a year ago (the 33 pager) the whole class focused on that one paper. It was our final grade. After you write a 33 page paper...a five pager is nothin! I can pop one of those out in about an hour.

This semester I am taking a Gifted class and we have three papers a week.

They like writing in college.

Upvote 0

littlelamb411

Little Lamb of Christ!
Dec 31, 2007
Nova Scotia
✟15,132.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Others
I don't find college English hard so far. I am taking that for a mandatory writing credit...I am currently in my second semester-long credit to total 1 full credit, and I have enjoyed both. For the class I am in now, Intro to Prose and Fiction, we have to write a total of 3 essays, plus the exam. We have to read four novels in 3 months, but I don't find that difficult as I love to read, and I do not work after school or anything. Hope things are going better for you now! God bless!

Upvote 0

Historicus

Follower of Jesus Christ
Apr 20, 2005
Ohio
✟55,435.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
My first English class was awesome. I had the best professor I could imagine. She didn't require us to write very many papers, mostly shorter assignments and then other writing projects. I'm taking a upper-division English this coming quarter, and I hope it goes just as well.

I do agree...there are more writing assignments (and longer assignments!) in other classes than it English, at least from my experience thus far.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums