Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
It's coherent by the rules of making sense. Your answers make no sense because they come from men not from God. But you are content to accept them because you love the darkness.

These are the questions a discerning, serious believer needs to ask:

Why are the answers given by the wolves incoherent?

Why are the members of the church lukewarm, not serious as they were when they first became believers?
They make no sense to you. That does not mean that they are incoherent. Quit claiming incoherence and actually demonstrate that they are incoherent. Thus far, they have only ever contradicted your personal interpretation of Scripture, not Scripture itself.

As to the reason many people in the Church are lukewarm, that is true in EVERY church. in pretty much every church you will find that 80% of the work is done by 20% of the people. It might be slightly different from one parish to the next, but it is certainly something that holds true over the long haul.

Also, please stop using the word incoherent. You keep using that word. I do not think you it means what you think it means.

Edit: in fact, I know you don't know what it means. Here is the definition:

(of spoken or written language) expressed in an incomprehensible or confusing way; unclear.

It might contradict what you believe, but the Orthodox Faith is the second largest gathering of Christians and it is the third largest religious demographic in the world.

I would say, I find your teaching to actually be incoherent. Meaning it is not expressed in a clear way. The Orthodox faith, on the other hand, has teachers who were so gifted by the Spirit in teaching that they received honorifics like "man of the golden tongue". St. John Chrystostom was so gifted at teaching that his original teacher from before he renounced pagan beliefs and converted to Christianity said if the Church hadn't stolen him, John would have been his star pupil.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Wordkeeper

Oct 1, 2013
✟91,080.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
They make no sense to you. That does not mean that they are incoherent. Quit claiming incoherence and actually demonstrate that they are incoherent. Thus far, they have only ever contradicted your personal interpretation of Scripture, not Scripture itself.

As to the reason many people in the Church are lukewarm, that is true in EVERY church. in pretty much every church you will find that 80% of the work is done by 20% of the people. It might be slightly different from one parish to the next, but it is certainly something that holds true over the long haul.

Also, please stop using the word incoherent. You keep using that word. I do not think you it means what you think it means.

Edit: in fact, I know you don't know what it means. Here is the definition:

(of spoken or written language) expressed in an incomprehensible or confusing way; unclear.

It might contradict what you believe, but the Orthodox Faith is the second largest gathering of Christians and it is the third largest religious demographic in the world.

I would say, I find your teaching to actually be incoherent. Meaning it is not expressed in a clear way. The Orthodox faith, on the other hand, has teachers who were so gifted by the Spirit in teaching that they received honorifics like "man of the golden tongue". St. John Chrystostom was so gifted at teaching that his original teacher from before he renounced pagan beliefs and converted to Christianity said if the Church hadn't stolen him, John would have been his star pupil.

They make no sense to you. That does not mean that they are incoherent. Quit claiming incoherence and actually demonstrate that they are incoherent.

This is where your post is incoherent :

I asked you what resources were required to become a disciple, quoting luke 14:25-30.

You said those verses are metaphors.

They are NOT metaphors. Money for building a tower, soldiers for entering battle are RESOURCES.

When you don't answer the question what resources are required for becoming disciples of Jesus, you are INCOHERENT. You are trying to obfuscate, avoid the obvious answer, that the resource is strength to change from serving the darkness to serving the light. But that was inevitable, because as long as you are serving self, you will be ever hearing, without understanding:

Matthew 6
22“The eye is the lamp of the body; so then if your eye is clear, your whole body will be full of light. 23“But if your eye is bad, your whole body will be full of darkness. If then the light that is in you is darkness, how great is the darkness!

24“No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and wealth.

Upvote 0

sculleywr

Orthodox Colitis Survivor
Jul 23, 2011
Starke, FL
✟22,569.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
They make no sense to you. That does not mean that they are incoherent. Quit claiming incoherence and actually demonstrate that they are incoherent.

This is where your post is incoherent :

I asked you what resources were required to become a disciple, quoting luke 14:25-30.

You said those verses are metaphors.

They are NOT metaphors. Money for building a tower, soldiers for entering battle are RESOURCES.

When you don't answer the question what resources are required for becoming disciples of Jesus, you are INCOHERENT. You are trying to obfuscate, avoid the obvious answer, that the resource is strength to change from serving the darkness to serving the light. But that was inevitable, because as long as you are serving self, you will be ever hearing, without understanding:

Matthew 6
22“The eye is the lamp of the body; so then if your eye is clear, your whole body will be full of light. 23“But if your eye is bad, your whole body will be full of darkness. If then the light that is in you is darkness, how great is the darkness!

24“No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and wealth.
So then the thief on the cross wasn't saved because he certainly didn't have ANY resources whatsoever. That's why your presentation completely and utterly fails. Those were PARABLES, dude. Do you also believe that Jesus is a four headed beast?

The point was to COUNT THE COST, not to have resources. Jesus even very literally says in verse 33 EXACTLY what resources, whereas you have refused to answer the question. The answer is WHATEVER YOU HAVE. The widow with 2 pennies had more resources than the Pharisees pouring in buckets of coin. Why? Because she gave all she had.

Lay up for yourself treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not corrupt and thieves do not break in and steal.

You seriously expect me to believe that God gives a flying leap about your physical resources because of a METAPHOR? Here's an idea from Scripture: it is harder for a rich man to get to heaven than for a camel to go through the eye of a needle.

but wait...The rich have more resources than I do. I guess I can just sit back, relax, and do nothing because God doesn't expect me to do anything. It doesn't matter how lazy I am. That's the logical end of your gospel. Nobody needs to do good works. I don't need to help those in need. God doesn't expect anything of me. I can eat, drink, and be merry. Have sex with as many women as I want. And in the judgment I can just tell God that I didn't have the resources to follow Him.

How about this: You try that and let me know how it works. As for me, I'll go with something that actually makes some kind of sense.

Upvote 0

Wordkeeper

Oct 1, 2013
✟91,080.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So then the thief on the cross wasn't saved because he certainly didn't have ANY resources whatsoever. That's why your presentation completely and utterly fails. Those were PARABLES, dude. Do you also believe that Jesus is a four headed beast?

The point was to COUNT THE COST, not to have resources. Jesus even very literally says in verse 33 EXACTLY what resources, whereas you have refused to answer the question. The answer is WHATEVER YOU HAVE. The widow with 2 pennies had more resources than the Pharisees pouring in buckets of coin. Why? Because she gave all she had.

Lay up for yourself treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not corrupt and thieves do not break in and steal.

You seriously expect me to believe that God gives a flying leap about your physical resources because of a METAPHOR? Here's an idea from Scripture: it is harder for a rich man to get to heaven than for a camel to go through the eye of a needle.

but wait...The rich have more resources than I do. I guess I can just sit back, relax, and do nothing because God doesn't expect me to do anything. It doesn't matter how lazy I am. That's the logical end of your gospel. Nobody needs to do good works. I don't need to help those in need. God doesn't expect anything of me. I can eat, drink, and be merry. Have sex with as many women as I want. And in the judgment I can just tell God that I didn't have the resources to follow Him.

How about this: You try that and let me know how it works. As for me, I'll go with something that actually makes some kind of sense.

Oh so you finally agree that these are resources and not metaphors?

Jesus even very literally says in verse 33 EXACTLY what resources, whereas you have refused to answer the question. The answer is WHATEVER YOU HAVE.

Well that's a start.

Upvote 0

sculleywr

Jul 23, 2011
Starke, FL
✟22,569.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
Oh so you finally agree that these are resources and not metaphors?

Jesus even very literally says in verse 33 EXACTLY what resources, whereas you have refused to answer the question. The answer is WHATEVER YOU HAVE.

Well that's a start.
No I don't. Reread my post. I said very plainly it is a metaphor, because a parable is a type of metaphor. It's part of the meaning of the word.

Upvote 0

Wordkeeper

Oct 1, 2013
✟91,080.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No I don't. Reread my post. I said very plainly it is a metaphor, because a parable is a type of metaphor. It's part of the meaning of the word.

And you also say that there is a resource involved:

Which is it?

Upvote 0

sculleywr

Jul 23, 2011
Starke, FL
✟22,569.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
And you also say that there is a resource involved:

Which is it?
I also said that nobody has the excuse of not having resources. Are you alive? Then you have the resources to accept the gospel

You said lack of resources could be a reason to reject the gospel. It is not. I was saying that physical resources are not necessary to accept the gospel.

Upvote 0

Wordkeeper

Oct 1, 2013
✟91,080.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I also said that nobody has the excuse of not having resources. Are you alive? Then you have the resources to accept the gospel

You said lack of resources could be a reason to reject the gospel. It is not. I was saying that physical resources are not necessary to accept the gospel.

This is what transpired.

I asked you what resources are required for accepting the gospel as described in Luke 14:20-35.

You replied no resources were described, the examples in text were metaphors.

Doh! Of course money and soldiers are metaphors. METAPHORS FOR RESOURCES.

So what are the money and soldiers metaphors for? In other words, as Paul said, in the past God ignored the obligations that men had towards the One who created them, but now they must meta noia, change their mind, stop serving the world for food and shelter, and turn to God for the same.

Acts 17
30“Therefore having overlooked the times of ignorance, God is now declaring to men that all people everywhere should repent, 31because He has fixed a day in which He will judge the world in righteousness through a Man whom He has appointed, having furnished proof to all men by raising Him from the dead.”

This is the challenge, the project to be embarked on, the tower that needs to be built, the opponent that must be met in battle, and every project needs resources. What Luke 14 is saying is that if you do not have the resources, the will power to turn from depending on the world for food and shelter, you should ask for terms of peace. In real life, this plays out by asking God for time. You don't know this because this is what your "teachers" have hidden from you.

James 4
4You adulteresses, do you not know that friendship with the world is hostility toward God? Therefore whoever wishes to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God.

Matthew 6:24
No one can serve two masters: Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money.

1 John 2:15
Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.

Does this mean that a believer can extend the deadline indefinitely? Well he can, but his options are limited by how long his source of living lasts:

James 1
10But the rich person's pride should be in his humiliation, because he will pass away like a wildflower in the meadow.

Elsewhere Jesus compares the wisdom of the sons of light with the wisdom of the sons of darkness, the latter who when faced with loss of livelihood, resort to making friends with useful people by employing earnings from unrighteous mammon (is there any other kind?) so that they will always be safe. The former are advised to do the same.

In summation, those who do not have the will power to turn from serving the world for sustenance to serving God for the same should take on the lighter burden (lesser will power requirement) of using secular wealth to buy friends who are in the kingdom, so that when their worldly source of income fades away, (as it will, when the gospel is properly understood), they can be welcomed into eternal life.

Upvote 0

sculleywr

Jul 23, 2011
Starke, FL
✟22,569.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
This is what transpired.

I asked you what resources are required for accepting the gospel as described in Luke 14:20-35.

You replied no resources were described, the examples in text were metaphors.

Doh! Of course money and soldiers are metaphors. METAPHORS FOR RESOURCES.

So what are the money and soldiers metaphors for? In other words, as Paul said, in the past God ignored the obligations that men had towards the One who created them, but now they must meta noia, change their mind, stop serving the world for food and shelter, and turn to God for the same.

Acts 17
30“Therefore having overlooked the times of ignorance, God is now declaring to men that all people everywhere should repent, 31because He has fixed a day in which He will judge the world in righteousness through a Man whom He has appointed, having furnished proof to all men by raising Him from the dead.”

This is the challenge, the project to be embarked on, the tower that needs to be built, the opponent that must be met in battle, and every project needs resources. What Luke 14 is saying is that if you do not have the resources, the will power to turn from depending on the world for food and shelter, you should ask for terms of peace. In real life, this plays out by asking God for time. You don't know this because this is what your "teachers" have hidden from you.

James 4
4You adulteresses, do you not know that friendship with the world is hostility toward God? Therefore whoever wishes to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God.

Matthew 6:24
No one can serve two masters: Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money.

1 John 2:15
Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.

Does this mean that a believer can extend the deadline indefinitely? Well he can, but his options are limited by how long his source of living lasts:

James 1
10But the rich person's pride should be in his humiliation, because he will pass away like a wildflower in the meadow.

Elsewhere Jesus compares the wisdom of the sons of light with the wisdom of the sons of darkness, the latter who when faced with loss of livelihood, resort to making friends with useful people by employing earnings from unrighteous mammon (is there any other kind?) so that they will always be safe. The former are advised to do the same.

In summation, those who do not have the will power to turn from serving the world for sustenance to serving God for the same should take on the lighter burden (lesser will power requirement) of using secular wealth to buy friends who are in the kingdom, so that when their worldly source of income fades away, (as it will, when the gospel is properly understood), they can be welcomed into eternal life.
I give up. You would argue this with Christ Himself.

NOBODY HAS AN EXCUSE FOR REJECTING THE GOSPEL.

Period. Scripture even says that. But it doesn't matter what Scripture says. You can hang your entire gospel on one passage instead of the whole thing.

Your "proper understanding" of Scripture is about as coherent as my communication when I'm on Ambien, and this is what that looks like:

• If you'rv up send some boys to my house at 820, I'm complet3ely ot of it a==nd won't rmemb4r, I wqnt Gramdmum safe

Upvote 0

Wordkeeper

Oct 1, 2013
✟91,080.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I give up. You would argue this with Christ Himself.

NOBODY HAS AN EXCUSE FOR REJECTING THE GOSPEL.

Period. Scripture even says that. But it doesn't matter what Scripture says. You can hang your entire gospel on one passage instead of the whole thing.

Your "proper understanding" of Scripture is about as coherent as my communication when I'm on Ambien, and this is what that looks like:

• If you'rv up send some boys to my house at 820, I'm complet3ely ot of it a==nd won't rmemb4r, I wqnt Gramdmum safe

So what is the alternative if one does not have the money to complete the tower?

Is it to refuse to start building after counting the cost and realising you don't have the money to complete the project?

Is it to refuse to accept the Gospel after counting the cost and realising you don't have the will power to leave your job your house and your family?

Luke 14
27Whoever does not carry his own cross and come after Me cannot be My disciple. 28“For which one of you, when he wants to build a tower, does not first sit down and calculate the cost to see if he has enough to complete it?29“Otherwise, when he has laid a foundation and is not able to finish, all who observe it begin to ridicule him,30saying, ‘This man began to build and was not able to finish.’ 31“Or what king, when he sets out to meet another king in battle, will not first sit down and consider whether he is strong enough with ten thousand men to encounter the one coming against him with twenty thousand? 32“Or else, while the other is still far away, he sends a delegation and asks for terms of peace. 33“So then, none of you can be My disciple who does not give up all his own possessions.

Acts 5
13No one else dared join them, even though they were highly regarded by the people. 14Nevertheless, more and more men and women believed in the Lord and were added to their number.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

sculleywr

Jul 23, 2011
Starke, FL
✟22,569.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
So what is the alternative if one does not have the money to complete the tower?

Is it to refuse to start building after counting the cost and realising you don't have the money to complete the project?

Is it to refuse to accept the Gospel after counting the cost and realising you don't have the will power to leave your job your house and your family?

Luke 14
27Whoever does not carry his own cross and come after Me cannot be My disciple. 28“For which one of you, when he wants to build a tower, does not first sit down and calculate the cost to see if he has enough to complete it?29“Otherwise, when he has laid a foundation and is not able to finish, all who observe it begin to ridicule him,30saying, ‘This man began to build and was not able to finish.’ 31“Or what king, when he sets out to meet another king in battle, will not first sit down and consider whether he is strong enough with ten thousand men to encounter the one coming against him with twenty thousand? 32“Or else, while the other is still far away, he sends a delegation and asks for terms of peace. 33“So then, none of you can be My disciple who does not give up all his own possessions.

Acts 5
13No one else dared join them, even though they were highly regarded by the people. 14Nevertheless, more and more men and women believed in the Lord and were added to their number.
Faith isn't a tower. God provides all the needs of our lives. God provides everything we need to follow Him. "Seek ye first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be added unto you.

Scripture says no man is justified to refuse the gospel. Right after talking about the gospel, Paul said to the Romans:

For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness; Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them. For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

If you refuse the gospel, you are without excuse. Period.

Upvote 0

Wordkeeper

Oct 1, 2013
✟91,080.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Faith isn't a tower. God provides all the needs of our lives. God provides everything we need to follow Him. "Seek ye first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be added unto you.

Scripture says no man is justified to refuse the gospel. Right after talking about the gospel, Paul said to the Romans:

For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness; Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them. For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

If you refuse the gospel, you are without excuse. Period.

So what issue is Luke 14:20-35 dealing with?

What is the tower?

The battle?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sculleywr

Jul 23, 2011
Starke, FL
✟22,569.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
So what issue is Luke 14:20-35 dealing with?

What is the tower?

The battle?
People who aren't fully committed to following Christ. They didn't want to give up everything, not because they didn't have the imaginary resources, but because they put those treasures in things of the earth, where moth and rust corrupt and thieves break in and steal

Upvote 0

Wordkeeper

Oct 1, 2013
✟91,080.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
People who aren't fully committed to following Christ. They didn't want to give up everything, not because they didn't have the imaginary resources, but because they put those treasures in things of the earth, where moth and rust corrupt and thieves break in and steal

So did you give up everything, the condition to become a disciple of Christ? If not, why not?

Upvote 0

stuart lawrence

Oct 21, 2015
✟70,925.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi! I grew up as atheist, then became Muslim, then became Christian, and am Christian for 24 years.

Why is Christianity so confused? I think that teaching of Jesus is so clear, so simple. Why did people create one million denominations and one million divisions within those denominations??

Why so hard to simply accept what Jesus is teaching, and live by it?

It looks like everyone is trying to create Theology in order to ignore the clear and pure teaching of Jesus Christ.

Do you agree?
Well if there wernt so many different denominations, how could people claim to have the true knowledge they believe others lack?

Its human nature isn't it?

I know the truth, you need to understand as I do

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Yahu_

Nov 16, 2016
Atlanta, Ga
✟18,738.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Hi! I grew up as atheist, then became Muslim, then became Christian, and am Christian for 24 years.

Why is Christianity so confused? I think that teaching of Jesus is so clear, so simple. Why did people create one million denominations and one million divisions within those denominations??

Why so hard to simply accept what Jesus is teaching, and live by it?

It looks like everyone is trying to create Theology in order to ignore the clear and pure teaching of Jesus Christ.

Do you agree?
The problem is from congregation/denominations as well as individuals in differing levels of spiritual maturity, knowledge and understanding while the forces of the enemy try to corrupt and pervert truth via the spread of demonic doctrines within the churches to cause strife and conflict.

Upvote 0

sculleywr

Jul 23, 2011
Starke, FL
✟22,569.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
So did you give up everything, the condition to become a disciple of Christ? If not, why not?
I don't have anything. And everything I have is God's. My body. My room. My blankets. my nonfunctional computer. My job at Liberty Tax Services.

Am I a monk? No. But will I give the shirt off my back to help someone? Done it before. Don't know why I wouldn't do it again.

Upvote 0

Wordkeeper

Oct 1, 2013
✟91,080.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't have anything. And everything I have is God's. My body. My room. My blankets. my nonfunctional computer. My job at Liberty Tax Services.

Am I a monk? No. But will I give the shirt off my back to help someone? Done it before. Don't know why I wouldn't do it again.

You think you don't have anything. When Israel resigned from her job, stopped depending on it for her livelihood, God asked her to give up her need for food and water.

Exodus 15
22Then Moses led Israel from the Red Sea and they went into the Desert of Shur. For three days they traveled in the desert without finding water.23When they came to Marah, they could not drink its water because it was bitter. (That is why the place is called Marah.f) 24So the people grumbled against Moses, saying, “What are we to drink?”

25Then Moses cried out to the Lord, and the Lord showed him a piece of wood. He threw it into the water, and the water became fit to drink. There the Lord issued a ruling and instruction for them and put them to the test. 26He said, “If you listen carefully to the Lord your God and do what is right in his eyes, if you pay attention to his commands and keep all his decrees, I will not bring on you any of the diseases I brought on the Egyptians, for I am theLord, who heals you.”

Did Israel learn to leave the job of feeding her to God? No!

Exodus 17
1The whole Israelite community set out from the Desert of Sin, traveling from place to place as the Lordcommanded. They camped at Rephidim, but there was no water for the people to drink. 2So they quarreled with Moses and said, “Give us water to drink.”

Moses replied, “Why do you quarrel with me? Why do you put the Lord to the test?”

3But the people were thirsty for water there, and they grumbled against Moses. They said, “Why did you bring us up out of Egypt to make us and our children and livestock die of thirst?”

4Then Moses cried out to the Lord, “What am I to do with these people? They are almost ready to stone me.”

5The Lord answered Moses, “Go out in front of the people. Take with you some of the elders of Israel and take in your hand the staff with which you struck the Nile, and go. 6I will stand there before you by the rock at Horeb. Strike the rock, and water will come out of it for the people to drink.” So Moses did this in the sight of the elders of Israel. 7And he called the place Massaha and Meribahb because the Israelites quarreled and because they tested the Lord saying, “Is the Lordamong us or not?”

Deuteronomy 8:3
"He humbled you and let you be hungry, and fed you with manna which you did not know, nor did your fathers know, that He might make you understand that man does not live by bread alone, but man lives by everything that proceeds out of the mouth of the LORD.

Isn't it impossible to trust God that far? Well Someone showed how it could be done:

Matthew 4
1Then Jesus was led up by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil. 2And after He had fasted forty days and forty nights, He then became hungry. 3And the tempter came and said to Him, “If You are the Son of God, command that these stones become bread.” 4But He answered and said, “It is written, ‘MAN SHALL NOT LIVE ON BREAD ALONE, BUT ON EVERY WORD THAT PROCEEDS OUT OF THE MOUTH OF GOD.’”

Upvote 0

sculleywr

Jul 23, 2011
Starke, FL
✟22,569.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
You think you don't have anything. When Israel resigned from her job, stopped depending on it for her livelihood, God asked her to give up her need for food and water.

Exodus 15
22Then Moses led Israel from the Red Sea and they went into the Desert of Shur. For three days they traveled in the desert without finding water.23When they came to Marah, they could not drink its water because it was bitter. (That is why the place is called Marah.f) 24So the people grumbled against Moses, saying, “What are we to drink?”

25Then Moses cried out to the Lord, and the Lord showed him a piece of wood. He threw it into the water, and the water became fit to drink. There the Lord issued a ruling and instruction for them and put them to the test. 26He said, “If you listen carefully to the Lord your God and do what is right in his eyes, if you pay attention to his commands and keep all his decrees, I will not bring on you any of the diseases I brought on the Egyptians, for I am theLord, who heals you.”

Did Israel learn to leave the job of feeding her to God? No!

Exodus 17
1The whole Israelite community set out from the Desert of Sin, traveling from place to place as the Lordcommanded. They camped at Rephidim, but there was no water for the people to drink. 2So they quarreled with Moses and said, “Give us water to drink.”

Moses replied, “Why do you quarrel with me? Why do you put the Lord to the test?”

3But the people were thirsty for water there, and they grumbled against Moses. They said, “Why did you bring us up out of Egypt to make us and our children and livestock die of thirst?”

4Then Moses cried out to the Lord, “What am I to do with these people? They are almost ready to stone me.”

5The Lord answered Moses, “Go out in front of the people. Take with you some of the elders of Israel and take in your hand the staff with which you struck the Nile, and go. 6I will stand there before you by the rock at Horeb. Strike the rock, and water will come out of it for the people to drink.” So Moses did this in the sight of the elders of Israel. 7And he called the place Massaha and Meribahb because the Israelites quarreled and because they tested the Lord saying, “Is the Lordamong us or not?”

Deuteronomy 8:3
"He humbled you and let you be hungry, and fed you with manna which you did not know, nor did your fathers know, that He might make you understand that man does not live by bread alone, but man lives by everything that proceeds out of the mouth of the LORD.

Isn't it impossible to trust God that far? Well Someone showed how it could be done:

Matthew 4
1Then Jesus was led up by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil. 2And after He had fasted forty days and forty nights, He then became hungry. 3And the tempter came and said to Him, “If You are the Son of God, command that these stones become bread.” 4But He answered and said, “It is written, ‘MAN SHALL NOT LIVE ON BREAD ALONE, BUT ON EVERY WORD THAT PROCEEDS OUT OF THE MOUTH OF GOD.’”
And here you went back to Everbank Field. I'm in Wrigley Field. Would you like to return to the discussion? Because this has nothing to do with what I said. It's a bunch of incoherently strung together Scripture.

Upvote 0

Wordkeeper

Oct 1, 2013
✟91,080.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And here you went back to Everbank Field. I'm in Wrigley Field. Would you like to return to the discussion? Because this has nothing to do with what I said. It's a bunch of incoherently strung together Scripture.

The problem arises when we try to discuss the topic using the framework found in scripture.

This is the background followed in scripture:

Jesus tells us that in order to be his disciple we need to give up everything and follow him.

What the writer of the text should have written is: Jesus tells us that if we wanted to be found right, we should stop looking to ourselves to provide for our needs and start looking to God to provide for said needs.

When I asked you if you had given up everything in order to serve Jesus, you said you had nothing, listing out all the things you had given away, or were useless, or were dedicated to God. I should have stopped right there and rephrased the question:

Have you stopped looking to yourself to provide for your needs and turned to God to provide for your needs?

Upvote 0