Why is a Dirt Origin More Aesthetically Pleasing than Evolution?

Status
Not open for further replies.

depthdeception

Jun 8, 2005
✟4,804.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
I have often heard people scoff at the idea that humans evolved from other forms of life. Many of these have concluded that this is so because to evolve from another form of life would somehow be "ignoble" for the "crowning work" of God's creation.

However, my question is simple: Why is being formed from dirt more noble than evolving from another biological organism? Why is the former aesthetically acceptable and not the latter?

Reactions: jereth

jereth

Apr 13, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
✟8,426.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Very good question! In fact, it makes me realise how hypocritical AiG-style creationists are. On the one hand they go on and on in their magazine about how beautiful animals are: "such beauty and wonder cannot have evolved!"

Then they turn around and say: "Man evolved from animals? How disgusting!"

Upvote 0

Chief117

Conservative Soldier for Christ
Jan 21, 2005
Indiana
Visit site
✟8,383.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Being made perfect from nothing by an all-loving, powerful, intelligent God is infinitely more noble than being made by chance mutations after millions of years of death, suffering, and misfits.

A god that would use evolution is not the God of the Bible--loving, just, and omnipotent.

Upvote 0

rmwilliamsll

avid reader
Mar 19, 2004
✟7,946.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
Chief117 said:
Being made perfect from nothing by an all-loving, powerful, intelligent God is infinitely more noble than being made by chance mutations after millions of years of death, suffering, and misfits.

A god that would use evolution is not the God of the Bible--loving, just, and omnipotent.

where in the Bible does it say that mankind is made perfect?

Upvote 0

rmwilliamsll

avid reader
Mar 19, 2004
✟7,946.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
where in the Bible does it say that mankind is made perfect?

Chief117 said:
Far be it from an omnipotent, omniscient God to call a flawed creation good...

Genesis 1:27, 31

it amazes me how people who claim to take things literally and at face value, don't went it is inconvenient to do so.

Gen 1 says tov, which is good, mature, complete, suitable for the task at hand. it is not perfect. especially in the light of God alone is perfect.

Mat 5:48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

perfect here is the word teleios. which is the origin of the idea of design in intelligent design or teleological argument for God.

it means complete, lacking nothing required to fulfill your purpose. Adam's teleios was not perfection in the way the word is applied to God, for God has all His attributes set to max. Humanity does not even have the communicable attributes set to max, no one but Jesus ever has or ever will.

the Creation was declared GOOD, that means that matter is subservient to God's will, that it does not have a mind of it's own and therefore can resist God's commands. So that Creation is just as God intended it to be, without the peskiness associated with a dualistic system which posits matter or a demiurge of some power to foil God's plans.

But it was not declared perfect, for God alone is perfect.

I'm surprised how often this very badly mistaken idea is presented here.

Upvote 0
S

Silent Bob

Chief117 said:

Actually I disagree. Firstly God's creation as imagined by creationists was never perfect, after all Adam, Eve and the snake where all flawed. After the faaaaaallllll we see a God who is no longer loving in a tree hugging sense and is much more violent than eons of evolution has been. E.g. the Flood, raining fire in Sodom and Gomorrah, killing the firstborns of Egypt just to name a few atrocities attributed to our loving God.

As for just there is nothing more balanced than evolution. You either live and work with your environment, or you become a fossil. No warnings, no probations if the gazelle can't run it becomes lunch (like the US economy). Evolution is completely blind and fair, it doesn't care about anything other than the continuation of genes everybody else is expendable including the almighty humans.

The omnipotent card is a double edged sword. God could have done everything that Genesis says BUT He also went into a considerable amount of trouble to conceal His tracks.

If we accept a young earth then we have light from distant galaxies being created en-route, plate tectonics moving fast enough to boil the oceans. Also He creates a very large number of animal species and kills them all with unknown methods since the flood couldn't have killed the trilobites, He makes too many creatures sharing the same genetic material (ok re-inventing the wheel is bad for programmers but where are the tripods?), He makes all of our dating methods lie to us, He creates false records in ice cores, tree rings and on top of all that He summons forth a HUGE mass of water to drown everybody and then He makes it disappear (David Copperfield style).

Then we have genetic mapping and comparative anatomy which shows that as a designer God is lazy. Instead of redesigning our backs for upright walking He altered the spine He used in apes, for no reason whatsoever He broke the vitamin C producing gene in both humans and apes, He makes our jaws smaller than the number of teeth they are supposed to carry.

The other side of the blade is that God used the laws of physics to shape His creation according to His will. No need to drawn everyone, no snakes and apples, no magical floods. Sure it makes God appear as if He doesn't care much but then again if His creation is perfect why would He need to tinker with it in the extend that creationists want to believe?

I agree with Guy Consolmagno who says that believing in a literal 6-day creation is a form of paganism. It reminds me too much of the mythology I was read to go to sleep when I was young which told of Zeus who brought forth the flood, of earthquakes caused by a giant buried under Olympus and waves created by Poseidon's wrath. In fact if you take all the Greek gods and combine them into one the story reads a lot like the OT (with less sex, no women and no [FONT=&quot]illegitimate[/FONT] semi-gods). Although I must say that when it comes to mythology the Greek one is much better than the Hebrew, at least as far as the plot goes.

Upvote 0
T

The Lady Kate

Chief117 said:
Far be it from an omnipotent, omniscient God to call a flawed creation good...

Genesis 1:27, 31

Says who? God can call anything whatever He wants to call it.

And it occurs to me that if mankind were perfect, God would have called it "perfect." But He didn't say it was "perfect," He said it was "good."

If I was taking a test, a 93 would be a "good" grade, but only 100 is a "perfect" one.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Robert the Pilegrim

Senior Veteran
Nov 21, 2004
✟17,687.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
The Lady Kate said:
Says who? God can call anything whatever He wants to call it.

And it occurs to me that if mankind were perfect, God would have called it "perfect." But He didn't say it was "perfect," He said it was "good."

If I was taking a test, a 93 would be a "good" grade, but only 100 is a "perfect" one.
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to The Lady Kate again.​
Oh Bother!

Upvote 0

depthdeception

Jun 8, 2005
✟4,804.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Chief117 said:

This is a false dichotomy--the Scriptures do not suggest that humans were created ex nihilo; rather, they relate that humans were "formed" (which indicates the arrangement of previously existing matter) from the dust of the ground.

You are making a false representation.

Upvote 0

Chief117

Conservative Soldier for Christ
Jan 21, 2005
Indiana
Visit site
✟8,383.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Silent Bob said:
Actually I disagree. Firstly God's creation as imagined by creationists was never perfect, after all Adam, Eve and the snake where all flawed.

I see no reason to accept this point of view. This is your interpretation. God made an environment where He and man had fellowship--why would God make man flawed after declaring He would make him in God's image? Doesn't make sense.

Even if you can't buy that, you have no more evidence that they were flawed than I do that they were perfect. Except of course, that I don't think our God is an idiot. If He made it, I would imagine this is sufficient to assume perfection.

After the faaaaaallllll we see a God who is no longer loving in a tree hugging sense and is much more violent than eons of evolution has been. E.g. the Flood, raining fire in Sodom and Gomorrah, killing the firstborns of Egypt just to name a few atrocities attributed to our loving God.

A far cry from the truth. God is and always has been loving--you see it from Genesis to Revelation. All you see is love. If you miss the point of the love--you miss the point of Scripture. The Bible repeatedly reinforces the idea that love is all that matters--between us and likewise between us and our Creator.

All of the atrocities you listed were far from surprise judgments that took mankind by surprise. In each of those cases, man stood defiantly before God and refused to repent. They deserved the judgment and brought it on themselves.

All in all, your fallible interpretation of morals and ethics do not apply to God--who IS the moral and ethical standard. He alone is King, Judge, Redeemer. Not man.

As for just there is nothing more balanced than evolution. You either live and work with your environment, or you become a fossil. No warnings, no probations if the gazelle can't run it becomes lunch (like the US economy). Evolution is completely blind and fair, it doesn't care about anything other than the continuation of genes everybody else is expendable including the almighty humans.

God IS justice--He alone is judge. I'm quite sure he is more balanced than any man could ever be. Evolution--and actually I'm assuming you mean natural selection, which is not really evolution--may be "blind" but it is far from just. Natural selection and evolution did not bring forth justice for the Jews during world war II--but it did bring death to them. Evolution can never be "just".

God can be though. You should put faith in Him.

The omnipotent card is a double edged sword. God could have done everything that Genesis says BUT He also went into a considerable amount of trouble to conceal His tracks.

We'll see where you're going here...God most definitely did not "conceal his tracks." Far from it--all of creation testifies to his existence. It is your interpretation of facts that is at odds with God's Creation, not the facts themselves.

If we accept a young earth then we have light from distant galaxies being created en-route, plate tectonics moving fast enough to boil the oceans. Also He creates a very large number of animal species and kills them all with unknown methods since the flood couldn't have killed the trilobites, He makes too many creatures sharing the same genetic material (ok re-inventing the wheel is bad for programmers but where are the tripods?), He makes all of our dating methods lie to us, He creates false records in ice cores, tree rings and on top of all that He summons forth a HUGE mass of water to drown everybody and then He makes it disappear (David Copperfield style).

Like I said. All your interpretations. Not the facts.

We have light from distant stars because the stars were used for navigation, marking the seasons, etc. (As stated in Scripture). Although, I would admit that the distant star light is the single greatest problem YECs have to deal with.

Problems with killing species, boiling the oceans, etc. don't even make sense. These are not problems at all.

God did not create several species--he created kinds and the multiplied, diversified, etc. to get the many "species" we have today.

I don't know why the flood would not have killed trilobites. I've never heard this. I would think the great heated waters that burst forth when the ground opened up would have killed pretty much anything. Currents and cataclysmic tectonic activity during the flood would have likewise been deadly to all life.

I've never heard anyon complain about "too many things made with the same genetic material." Its kind of stupid. Evolution would have predicted easily if multiple life systems were present--but there aren't, there is only one. This testifies to a Creator. All life has the same genetic material so that the human can eat the cow who eats the green grass. If we all had different genetic materials, we couldn't eat anything.

Oh, and finally--he doesn't make your dating methods lie to you. Your dating methods are faulty and fallible. They are built on assumptions. Your own dating methods lie to you. Not God--there's not a lie in Him.

Then we have genetic mapping and comparative anatomy which shows that as a designer God is lazy. Instead of redesigning our backs for upright walking He altered the spine He used in apes, for no reason whatsoever He broke the vitamin C producing gene in both humans and apes, He makes our jaws smaller than the number of teeth they are supposed to carry.

Any problems you do perceive--and I doubt most of them are design problems as opposed to understanding problems--are probably the result of genetic mutations and lost information.

The other side of the blade is that God used the laws of physics to shape His creation according to His will. No need to drawn everyone, no snakes and apples, no magical floods. Sure it makes God appear as if He doesn't care much but then again if His creation is perfect why would He need to tinker with it in the extend that creationists want to believe?

Well, if God could do that then why come and save us? Why did Jesus need to come? Why do you call yourself a Christian?

First of all, I believe that God could have just as easily created all life in 5 milliseconds or less at the mere thought. The truth of the matter is that He CHOSE to create it in six days and rest on a seventh in order to set the pattern for man--who was the only creation made in God's image. This is exactly what Scripture says. Exodus 20.

Secondly--why in the world would you exchange a loving God who could create the entire universe intelligently for an idiot god who doesn't care? Who merely set up the physics and let chance processes create the whole universe and the life therein?

I agree with Guy Consolmagno who says that believing in a literal 6-day creation is a form of paganism. It reminds me too much of the mythology I was read to go to sleep when I was young which told of Zeus who brought forth the flood, of earthquakes caused by a giant buried under Olympus and waves created by Poseidon's wrath. In fact if you take all the Greek gods and combine them into one the story reads a lot like the OT (with less sex, no women and no [FONT=&quot]illegitimate[/FONT] semi-gods). Although I must say that when it comes to mythology the Greek one is much better than the Hebrew, at least as far as the plot goes.

[sarcasm dripping as droul] Yes that makes sense...

OK, I take the Bible literally when supposed to, you INTERPRET it non-literally at your whim. I do not compromise scientific interpretation and Scripture, but see how all science supports Scripture. I do not believe in things contradictory to scripture, you do.

Yes I see exactly why I believe in paganism.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rmwilliamsll

avid reader
Mar 19, 2004
✟7,946.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
I've never heard anyon complain about "too many things made with the same genetic material." Its kind of stupid. Evolution would have predicted easily if multiple life systems were present--but there aren't, there is only one. This testifies to a Creator. All life has the same genetic material so that the human can eat the cow who eats the green grass. If we all had different genetic materials, we couldn't eat anything.

God could have signed life by making each kind with a different genetic code, we could eat plants and animals just fine with this. But God did not do this, it would however made evolution impossible and common descent falsified. One code, is not evidence of a Creator,but it is consistent with TofE and would have falsified the TofE if it were as i described.

We had this discussion before and gluadys summed it up with:

A condition which is simply compatible with one's thesis, but need not be present does not constitute evidence for one's thesis. Only a condition which must exist in order for one's thesis to be true constitutes scientific evidence for the thesis. The lack of a necessary condition falsifies the thesis. The lack of an optional condition shows nothing one way or the other; it is not a test of its truth and hence not evidence of its truth.

from glaudys at: http://www.christianforums.com/showpost.php?p=24246296&postcount=183

Upvote 0
S

Silent Bob

Chief117 said:
I see no reason to accept this point of view. This is your interpretation. God made an environment where He and man had fellowship--why would God make man flawed after declaring He would make him in God's image? Doesn't make sense.

Are/Were we perfect images? If yes, then how was it possible to be both perfect and sin?

Omitting some parts as I do not want to go into philosophy too deeply.

We'll see where you're going here...God most definitely did not "conceal his tracks." Far from it--all of creation testifies to his existence. It is your interpretation of facts that is at odds with God's Creation, not the facts themselves.

My interpretation? Go ahead open a new thread and present the facts and your interpretation of them.

Problems with killing species, boiling the oceans, etc. don't even make sense. These are not problems at all.

The crushing majority of all forms of life are now extinct. Did God create all these poor critters to have them killed? Oh wait I know He created “kinds” and then they evolved, through death, suffering and loss of information… (for extra points there is another thread here can you define information?)

The boiling oceans come from your (YEC) idea of the history of Earth. In order for Noah to have gathered all “kinds” in one place you need one continent (Pangaea) in order for all of Earth be covered under water without a magical source of water all mountains must have been VERY low indeed. In this case we have a true [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] of mountain creation and plate movement right after or during the flood. Given the masses and weights we are talking about without even considering where the force could have come from the heat generated from friction would boil the oceans and make the face of the Earth a flaming wasteland. In the end of the day I don’t know how you can avoid using Goddidit accompanied by folding your hands when trying to explain the “facts” of the flood.

God did not create several species--he created kinds and the multiplied, diversified, etc. to get the many "species" we have today.

Define kind.

I would think the great heated waters that burst forth when the ground opened up would have killed pretty much anything. Currents and cataclysmic tectonic activity during the flood would have likewise been deadly to all life.

Whoa there, this is a first. Do you mean that fish actually died out as well during the flood? Did Noah take a fish tank with him or did they evolve from frogs? Verse?

This testifies to a Creator.

Scientifically the data are inconclusive at best. I am not saying that there was no Creator but arguing from a scientific standpoint science doesn't comment on supernatural entities. If you want philosophy the recurrence of phi in nature testifies much better to the existence of a Creator in my view.

All life has the same genetic material so that the human can eat the cow who eats the green grass. If we all had different genetic materials, we couldn't eat anything.

You miss the point. It is not a matter of being able to eat each other. I am not saying that He should have used rocks to make trees but He could surely make a spider use microwaves to communicate over long distances. What we see is a repeat of a small number of designs, hardly what I would expect from the most creative power in existence. (I say again where are the tripods? LOL)

Oh, and finally--he doesn't make your dating methods lie to you. Your dating methods are faulty and fallible. They are built on assumptions. Your own dating methods lie to you. Not God--there's not a lie in Him.

In your next thread state these assumptions and explain how they fail, if you want.

For all it's shortcomings it is the most efficient way to allow a universe to produce intelligent life without constant tinkering. The designer of evolution and nature is truly perfect.

Well, if God could do that then why come and save us? Why did Jesus need to come? Why do you call yourself a Christian?

Do you think it was because of an apple?

First of all, I believe that God could have just as easily created all life in 5 milliseconds or less at the mere thought. The truth of the matter is that He CHOSE to create it in six days and rest on a seventh in order to set the pattern for man--who was the only creation made in God's image. This is exactly what Scripture says. Exodus 20.

Scripture can say that insects have four legs, that doesn’t make it so. God is not equal to the Bible and the Bible is not our God. Would you rather believe a book inspired by Him but written by man or His creation?

Secondly--why in the world would you exchange a loving God who could create the entire universe intelligently for an idiot god who doesn't care?

He does care. Why would He poof it all into existence when He could just as easily design a system that needed no changes at all? What good is a clock if you need to adjust it every five minutes? The need to meddle comes from us becoming too self involved and causing a lot of suffering by ourselves to each other rather than a sacrifice of Himself to Himself to appease Himself for something two of us did a long time ago convinced by a snake He created with the ability to talk (call it Satan if you want, it is the same thing, He created him and He allowed him to walk in the garden).

OK, I take the Bible literally when supposed to, you INTERPRET it non-literally at your whim. I do not compromise scientific interpretation and Scripture, but see how all science supports Scripture. I do not believe in things contradictory to scripture, you do.

No my friend you interpret the Bible too, sometimes literally sometimes less literally. If you took it as it is then you would be looking for the corners of the Earth or its foundations. There are things that you cannot deny and therefore you take steps and interpret the words you read in light of what you know is true, this is exactly what I do. It is only a matter of how much you know and how much you allow yourself to ignore.

Upvote 0

jereth

Apr 13, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
✟8,426.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Chief117 said:
Although, I would admit that the distant star light is the single greatest problem YECs have to deal with.

That's because it's the easiest "dating method" for laypeople to understand. Age of Universe = Size of Universe / Speed of light

No amount of AiG/ICR trickery can change the inevitable outcome of this equation.

OTOH, if people took the time to understand the other myriads of dating methods, I suspect you'd have more than one "single greatest problem".

I don't know why the flood would not have killed trilobites. I've never heard this. I would think the great heated waters that burst forth when the ground opened up would have killed pretty much anything. Currents and cataclysmic tectonic activity during the flood would have likewise been deadly to all life.

1. Yes, deadly to all life including life inside the floating wooden box
2. Also would have totally pulverised any fossil that had the chance to form, so there should be no fossils today

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.