1. Saying Goodbye to a Great Staffer: Edial
    Please help me wish Edial a wonderful blessed journey as he steps down from CF staff.
    His footprint on our ministry will always remain but his presence will be greatly missed. I'm sure he will come around as a member to all his favorite forums but for now please join me at his profile page to wish him many thanks for the years of service he has brought to us all.
    All of us on CF staff will miss him dearly!!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
  • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
  • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting after you have posted 20 posts and have received 5 likes.
  • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why I love the 2nd Amendment......

Discussion in 'American Politics' started by OldWiseGuy, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Panzerkamfwagen

Panzerkamfwagen Es braust unser Panzer im Sturmwind dahin.

Marital Status:
    Single
    Politics:
    US-Libertarian
    Faith:
    Christian
    And you can't do that without registration.

And criminals are not required to register there guns. So, what's the point of making a group of people unlikely to commit crimes register their guns?

2. SharonL

SharonL Senior Veteran

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Christian
    Another thing to look at is in their planning, they put in the bill that you cannot pass your weapons down to the next generation - you would have to turn them in if the owner dies.

I have a friend whos grandfather or great grandfather fought in the battle of the Alamo with his own gun. He has this gun now and is looking forward to passing it down to the next generation. I don't think that is in the bill now before Congress - but I haven't seen the bill. But it is on their planning agenda.

3. A2SG

A2SG Senior Member

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Other-Religion
    Um...Kevin McAllistair?

Hopefully, better than that.

So? I have no idea what point you think you're making here.

I don't need to know. The 1994 federal ban defined the term, I have no problem sticking to that.

Again, the term has been defined.

I don't have to. All I need to do is make the obvious observation that assault weapons are deadlier than regular arms.

If you want to suggest banning all deadly weapons, take it up with your elected representative. Personally, I never advocated any such thing.

True. But some things more than others. It doesn't take an expert on firearms to say an assault weapon is deadlier than a clump of dirt.

More than if he had to reload after every shot.

Then perhaps it would have been better had Lanza been born a century earlier. It sure as hell would have been better for those kids.

IT WAS A FREAKIN' ELEMENTARY SCHOOL!!!!!

Are you saying the world would be a better place if kindergarten teachers were armed?

Man, we do not live on the same planet.

No, I didn't. Check again.

Again, I never said any such thing.

-- A2SG, dunno who's saying the things you're arguing against, 'cuz it wasn't me....

4. A2SG

A2SG Senior Member

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Other-Religion
    The latter three are examples of killing, the first is practicing to kill more accurately.

My statement stands.

It is a fact that assault weapons are deadlier than handguns. It is also a fact that handguns are used more often, especially in the commission of a crime, than assault weapons.

The second fact does not negate the first one.

No, I'm talking about the fact that someone with a gun is deadlier than someone without a gun. The gun doesn't kill alone, that's true; but it's also true that someone can kill easier and more effectively with a gun than the could without one.

Sure. What do you suggest?

Not at all.

-- A2SG, I don't know whose reasoning you were using there, but it wasn't mine....

5. Blackguard_

Blackguard_ Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.

Faith:
    Lutheran
    That's not "obvious" at all.

How does a flash hider or collapsible stock or McCarthy's infamous "barrel shroud" make a weapon "deadlier"?

6. A2SG

A2SG Senior Member

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Other-Religion
    So instead of banning assault weapons, we should charge more for them. Say add a federal tax of two million dollars for every one.

That might work! Good idea!

-- A2SG, and it might help with the deficit, too! Win, win!

7. A2SG

A2SG Senior Member

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Other-Religion
    So? Unless responsible gun owners are going out and stopping crimes like Batman, that has nothing to do with the statistics on crime.

Once again, not responsible gun owners. The problem is when those guns fall into the hands of people who shouldn't have them.

I know you think you're helping your case, but you're not.

-- A2SG, unless you want to ban all weapons of any sort, because that seems to be what you're selling....

8. A2SG

A2SG Senior Member

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Other-Religion
    Maybe they should be.

-- A2SG, it is a huge loophole...one that Obama is trying to close, and I say good for him!

9. A2SG

A2SG Senior Member

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Other-Religion
    I've addressed this point several times in this thread. But hey, what's one more time!

Screwdrivers, McMansions, fast cars, just about anything else you can name have functions beyond killing.

Assault weapons do not.

The deadlier something is, the more we need to regulate it and make it harder to obtain.

-- A2SG, this is the basic principle behind the fact that anyone can buy a screwdriver at Wal-mart, but you can't buy a nuclear weapon.....

10. A2SG

A2SG Senior Member

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Other-Religion
    But your need, or lack of it, isn't what the law is based on. It's based on the fact that assault weapons are a threat to public safety, and unlike other things, there is no overriding need to balance against that danger.

Same logic as to why you can't buy a nuclear weapon.

Um, how are you comparing them? Because they are not the same thing.

-- A2SG, to start with, one is a good where the other is a service....

11. A2SG

A2SG Senior Member

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Other-Religion
    Those aren't the only criteria that defined an assault weapon according to the 1994 federal law.

-- A2SG, the criteria was put forth in the bill, if you are interested...

12. Blackguard_

Faith:
    Lutheran
    I know those were just examples, but surely you could tell me how the banned features would make a weapon "deadlier" if indeed "assault weapons" are deadlier than "normal" guns?

13. A2SG

A2SG Senior Member

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Other-Religion
    Why do you assume I can tell you? I never claimed to be an expert on firearms.

If you want to debate the definition of assault weapons in the 1994 bill, or any new one proposed, speak to your elected representatives.

-- A2SG, me, I'm content with the definition as written, but if you want to further define the term, that's between you and your elected representative....

14. Blackguard_

Faith:
    Lutheran
    Because you should have actual reasons for banning the things you want banned.

If you can't tell me, how the heck can you support it?

I'm not arguing the definition of "assault weapon", as that terms exists only in gun control propaganda and law, I'm arguing "assault weapons" aren't anymore deadly than "normal" guns.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  15. A2SG

A2SG Senior Member

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Other-Religion
    I do. I've stated them several times, in fact.

The potential for danger to public safety that comes from assault weapons outweighs the need of private citizens to own them.

Same principle as applies to nuclear weapons, in fact.

Because I don't need to be an expert on firearms to know that assault weapons are deadlier than regular arms, and as such, need to be regulated more.

As I understand the law, it banned semi-automatic and automatic weapons. Semi-Automatic and automatic weapons can fire more bullets in less time than other guns, and that, by definition, makes them deadlier.

-- A2SG, that's about as specific as I can get. If you want to argue the specifics of the ban beyond that, you'll have to speak to your elected representatives....

16. Panzerkamfwagen

Marital Status:
    Single
    Politics:
    US-Libertarian
    Faith:
    Christian
    Let's try this again, and this time with pictures. Here are two pictures of rifles. Which one is deadlier and should be banned as an assault weapon?

Picture 1:
    [​IMG]

Picture 2:
    [​IMG]

Please everyone, just let A2SG answer.

17. Loudmouth

Loudmouth Contributor

Faith:
    Agnostic
    Which one do they arm soldiers with because those weapons are more deadly?

18. Panzerkamfwagen

Marital Status:
    Single
    Politics:
    US-Libertarian
    Faith:
    Christian
    Probably the one with a detachable bayonet lug. Now with twice the evil as a regular bayonet lug, because it can hide!

19. mzungu

mzungu INVICTUS

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Atheist
    Define "DEADLY"! I bet a musket is deadly too but try to mow down a bunch of school kids with it:doh:

What is the magazine capacity of the rifle in picture 2 (3 ?). It look like a self loading rifle and not a bolt action.

An assault rifle is one designed to combat more than one person. Hunting game does not require a gun with 30 odd round magazines that is self loading.

You take a 3 round magazined bolt action and I take any 30 round semi auto rifle and we go shoot people in some office or school. Then we compare the kill count and injury count before we are overwhelmed by the police or the people we are shooting manage to run away to safety.

Basically it all comes down to magazine capacity and loading time. The faster you can shoot more rounds the more you will kill when it comes to shooting civilians.

20. A2SG

A2SG Senior Member

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Other-Religion
    No idea.

Man, you've just proven that I'm not an expert on firearms! What a coup, I've only been saying that all along!

-- A2SG, care to explain what point you think you're making?