Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,865.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
well, rcc have a thing where they think you only saved in the rcc church...so actually it is similar to calvinist thinking, that they are the 'elect.' Although they dont say this, it has become their attitude toward anyone who isnt catholic.

Baptists will say it is not the church that saves you only Jesus can save you.

Upvote 0

The Portuguese Baptist

Centre-right conservative Christian-Democrat
Oct 17, 2015
Lisbon, Portugal
✟18,877.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I would say calvinism contradicts scripture too and people whove fallen for a man made doctrine need to not only search all of scripture to see if things are so, but to pray and ask God for wisdom.

I disagree. I find Calvinism to be abundantly supported by the Bible, with no contradiction.

We are not to cling to any 'isms'. That is a man made philosophy. The bible,calls this vain philosophy, the arguments of men. We are to seek the FULL counsel of God, which means read the Bible, all of it, not just the bits john calvin or whoever picked out.

I have read the entire Bible, and I still believe in Calvinism.

I am neither Calvinist nor Arminian. But take a middle ground position, I believe in election and predestination, as well as the free will of man and the sovereignty of God. I believe both are clearly taught in the scriptures.

I agree that both are clearly taught in Scripture, but I am still a Calvinist. Calvinism does not deny free will (at least my form of Calvinism does not); it just has a reduced view of it, favouring God's sovereignty as the primordial cause of all things.

BTW. Infant Baptism is definitely a sin. God hates manmade tradition that contradicts his word, in fact Jesus often confronted the Pharisees on it.

I would not go so far as to call it a sin, but I utterly reject it as unbiblical, and I would never accept to date a girl who believes in it.

Acts chapter 8 is clear that belief is required for baptism. It's a false teaching damning souls to hell, and it's really a false gospel.

Actually, Acts of the Apostles 8 is only ‘clear’ in the King James Version. If you read modern versions, you will see that verse 37 is not included in some of the most ancient and reliable manuscripts, therefore casting doubt on its authenticity. However, we still have Matthew 28:19, which is also clear enough.

I have had multiple protestants tell me about their infant baptism when trying to ask them if they will go to heaven when they die. Infant Baptism is a form of idolatry, it's giving the qualities of Jesus Christ to water, It's extremely wicked and evil.

o_O Idolatry? Giving the qualities of Christ to water? :scratch: Huh?

Well, infant baptism is practised by presybeterians who are all calvinists, and catholics especially. […]

Really? Huh. Then, I'm not dating Presbyterians. :)

Reactions: Wgw
Upvote 0

baptist4life

Jul 21, 2012
✟32,493.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Calvinism is just wrong............

Let's see.....according to Calvinists.....

"whosoever will" really means "whosoever is elect"

"all" really means "all the elect"

"not willing that ANY should perish" really means "not willing that ANY of the elect should perish"

"God so loved the world" really means "God so loved the elect"

Christ died ONLY for the elect

God predestined some people to hell, without any chance of salvation

God sends people to hell for eternity for not accepting something (Him) that He gave them no power to accept
......that's like creating a blind child then severely punishing him because he can't see

Since nothing happens that God doesn't preordain, God must be the author of sin

^^^^^^ so much WRONG there it's unbelievable. Totally un-Biblical, and not the God of Scripture at all.
Now, let's see how long it takes for someone to come along and say "you really don't understand Calvinism".

Last edited:
Upvote 0

royal priest

debtor to grace
Nov 1, 2015
Northeast, USA
✟181,424.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married

"not willing that ANY should perish" really means "not willing that ANY of the elect should perish"

God sends people to hell for eternity for not accepting something (Him) that He gave them no power to accept
......that's like creating a blind child then severely punishing him because he can't see

^^^^^^ so much WRONG there it's unbelievable. Totally un-Biblical, and not the God of Scripture at all.
Now, let's see how long it takes for someone to come along and say "you really don't understand Calvinism".
actually, until the blind child analogy, I was thinking, this person gets it.

Upvote 0

royal priest

debtor to grace
Nov 1, 2015
Northeast, USA
✟181,424.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Really? When one reads the entire Bible and say they believe in a congregation, rather than Jesus.... that in itself is wrong.
Which post are you responding to?

Upvote 0

The Portuguese Baptist

Centre-right conservative Christian-Democrat
Oct 17, 2015
Lisbon, Portugal
✟18,877.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single

I will kindly disagree.

What are you talking about? I need specific examples for that.

Er... No, that would not make so much sense. However, I have seen a reasonable explanation for those verses, which I will post here (quoted from http://www.gotquestions.org/unconditional-election.html, eighth paragraph):

‘Those who argue against unconditional election often use verses like 1 Timothy 2:4 and John 3:16. How can we reconcile election with a verse like 1 Timothy 2:4, that says that God “desires all men to be saved”, or John 3:16, that says God “so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son that whoever believes in him should not perish but have everlasting life”? The answer lies in correctly understanding the will of God and the love of God. God's passive will needs to be understood in contrast to his decreed will (those things he foreordains to happen). The passive will of God includes the things he might desire in a sense but does not foreordain or bring to pass. Certainly, if God is sovereign and all-powerful, as the Bible declares him to be, then he could bring about the salvation of all men, if that were his decreed or predetermined will. Reconciling this verse and others with the many that teach election is an unconditional choice of God is no more difficult that recognising that there are things God might desire but does not decree to happen. It could be said that God does not desire men to sin, but, as part of his predetermined plan, he allows them to sin. So, while there is a real sense in which God does not take pleasure in the destruction of the wicked and desires that all be saved, his predetermined plan allows for the fact that some will go to Hell.’

Not all Calvinists believe in that (which is called Limited Atonement). But, yes, I believe that it is true.

Yes, that's essentially it.

No, not really. We do not go to Hell because we have not accepted Jesus; we go to Hell because we have sinned.

No, not really. It is more like a normal child deliberately blinding himself and then punishing him. Remember that we all have wilfully chosen to sin and to reject God. The Lord simply provides some with a chance to be saved, leaving others to pay the just price for their sin.

No. Man is the author of sin. God did not foreordain us to sin; he foreordained us (specifically, Adam) to have free will, and we used it to sin.

I understand. It sounds pretty unfair, does it not? I mean, God forgives some and punishes others! Sounds nonsensical, right?

That is what I thought, until I properly realised that God does not have the obligation to save anyone; we should all go to Hell. He could have chosen to save everyone, he could have chosen to save no-one, and he could have chosen to save only some. He chose to save only some.

And the only thing that is unfair in the whole story is our sin.

Perhaps you do not sufficiently understand Calvinism. I do not blame you, because: 1) this is a minor issue of our faith, useful for interesting, secondary discussions, but little more than that; 2) it is extremely counter-intuitive, and it really provides such a radically different understanding of salvation, that it sounds unbelievable; and 3) even I, in the past, have believed in the same as you, because it seemed to make sense.

Without judging, I kindly ask you that you explore the issue with an open mind, and that you ask God to show you the unbiased truth. Perhaps you will change your mind.

God bless you! :)

Upvote 0

Swan7

Made in the image of His Grace
Supporter
Aug 3, 2014
Forever Summer
✟435,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Which post are you responding to?

I was at work when I made that response, the quote wasn't working. But it was to whom liked your quoted post to mine. Plus, also making a general point. Have to be careful with what we say, after all.

Reactions: royal priest
Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,865.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I think jesus showed that he coul heal the blind and make them see...the blind man, wasnt blind from birth because he sinned it was because of the fallen world and also, when he got healed he believed and gave God the glory.

Ten lepers got healed but only one thanked Jesus. Where theres sickness and disease, Jesus can heal, whether we believe or not is up to us.

Reactions: Swan7
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,865.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Well he could tell by his fruit...i think Jesus does give everyone mercy and waits to see if they repent he doesnt force people to love him. Jesus knew early on but he probably didnt know Judas right from when he was born....being limited in his human body on earth..

Our Father in heaven knows though. He knows where we are born when we die, the day and hour. Jesus didnt know when he was a man. And God has the power i.e. Grace to harden or soften a heart. He can wait a thousand years if need be.

Upvote 0