Grumpy Old Man

Aug 30, 2011
UK
✟1,001.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
If you are so concerned about the integrity of any of the translations that we have today then I suggest you learn ancient Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic. Then study the manuscripts that were used for the translations and compare them to the final products. After all, this is where your line of thinking will ultimately get you.

See you in a few years.

One of my regrets in life is not studying Theology at Uni. I took Computer Systems instead.

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,056,135.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
One of my regrets in life is not studying Theology at Uni.

Now some of your reactions make more sense. 2 things:

Seminary is widely known as cemetary, for some good reasons.

The Lord knew what He was doing, when He called simple fishermen.

IOW, don't over-complicate things. K.I.S.S.

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,056,135.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Now some of your reactions make more sense. 2 things:

Seminary is widely known as cemetary, for some good reasons.

The Lord knew what He was doing, when He called simple fishermen.

IOW, don't over-complicate things. K.I.S.S.

...but to this man will I look, even to him that is poor and of a contrite spirit, and trembleth at my word. - Isaiah 66:2

Upvote 0

John1983

Mar 6, 2012
✟15,118.00
Faith
Christian
During the time I was a Christian, I heard several reasons for Jesus tarrying.

1. Paul mentions somewhere about the time of the Gentiles needing to be fulfilled (in Romans I think).
  2. Jesus said the Gospel must be preached all over the world.
  3. The church must be unified.
  4. Some stuff about Israel reforming as a nation and being attacked by everyone.
Regarding the first point, hasn't there been enough time for the Gentiles? Points 1 & 4 are usually related and Christians ascribe Jesus' little parable about the fig tree to indicate Israel. But seeing as Israel is now quite well established it's odd that Jesus hasn't returned by now.

Regarding point 2, Christianity expanded rapidly during its early years, and in the Middle Ages almost everyone was a Catholic. So why didn't Jesus come back then?

Most Christians I knew at church, and heard on TV, believed the church would one day be united before the rapture (something to do with something Paul said in Ephesians I think). However, the Church was united, for a long time, under Catholicism. Why did Jesus not come back them?

As for point 4, Jesus' parable about the fig tree does not really point to Israel. There are bits of scripture in the OT that suggest the Jews will one day return to their land, but that was speaking about the return from exile. As a matter of fact, Jews have had communities in other nations for over 2000 years, so the "prophecy" of all Jews needing to be returned to Israel before the second coming seems invalid. So again, why hasn't Jesus returned yet? What's he waiting for?

I can empathize. I too have wrestled with the issue of why Jesus has yet to return. I appreciate your direct approach and search for an answer. I don't think that any person can give you a truly satisfying, conclusive answer. You are obviously very well read and have many stable opinions of your own. You also seem a bit frustated. This question frustrates me as well.

If there is any way you can come into a belief in God, no matter how small, I would just say to pray to him as much as possible for wisdom. I know this sounds like a cheesy, pat answer, but it is the only thing I can suggest. You may not feel like praying today, or tomorrow, or next week, but perhaps events will transpire that will lead you to cry out to God.

I believe that God would be very pleased with your search. The God I believe in does not want "drone" followers. As Christians, we need to be sure of what is true and what is false. We need to realize that there is some things that we cannot understand and, while not easy, faith has to bridge the gap (even when logic screams that it is idiotic to do so). We cannot blindly follow as we will then only begin to deceive others.

For some time, and especially about a month ago, I wrestled a great deal with whether or not God is even real. Every logical thought I have tells me that there is no God, but everything inside me cannot shake the feeling that there is. And therein lies something that is frustrating: a "feeling." It is a strong feeling though. In thinking about God, I have to let go of my supposed intellect and realize that he is beyond logic and that I simply cannot comprehend. Again, I have faith.

In this search, I have learned to just pray and ask for wisdom and understanding. Christianity is faith based, after all. Certainly science provides many great answers, but I have instead tried to view scientific discoveries as the language of God. I know that I do not have all of the answers to the mysteries of the universe, nor will I ever acquire such knowledge.

I have found that the more I give to God (time, prayer, thoughts), the more I feel he has met me halfway by providing peace. I hope that you do not give up in your search. However, try to not let Jesus's seemingly delayed return get you down. It seems that more we study God, the more mysterious he becomes. I just have to conclude that his thoughts are truly higher than mine. Some days this brings me comfort; some days this makes me frustrated; but I do feel like great things are in store for the future. I do feel as though God has lifted me up and is using me as I am now allowing him to do so.

I am sorry that there is negativity in this forum. I believe that people mean well, even if they come off as very abrasive. You are struggling with such weighty issues and you deserve a listening ear. It is my sincere prayer that you will find a point of comfort in your beliefs and, hopefully, you will come to believe in God himself.

Upvote 0