Why group marriage is the next horizon of social liberalism.

bfdd6988

Supporter
Jan 19, 2015
✟8,116.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
http://www.politico.com/magazine/st...ision-polygamy-119469_Page2.html#.VY4vQ_mqqkp

I credit this author for admitting to the very real slippery slope consequence now created because of the SCOTUS decision yesterday. It's incumbent upon the person who supports ssm but not polygamy to show how he's not being a hypocrite when supposedly marriage is "all about love" and nothing else. Why do I say "all about love"? I say this because for years, one very popular mantra of ssm supporters was "don't tell me who I can love"--as if anyone were! Since SCOTUS decision, an equally popular mantra is "love wins". Therefore, love, and only love, appears to be the only criteria for ssm supporters and ought to be for supporters of polygamy.

Last edited:
Reactions: patricius79

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟551,813.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
http://www.politico.com/magazine/st...ision-polygamy-119469_Page2.html#.VY4vQ_mqqkp

I credit this author for admitting to the very real slippery slope consequence now created because of the SCOTUS decision yesterday. It's incumbent upon the person who supports ssm but not polygamy to show how he's not being a hypocrite when supposedly marriage is "all about love" and nothing else.
I support polygamy.

I really don't care who marries who or even what. Seriously.

Upvote 0

Matthias Rose

1 Cor 10:23
Jun 21, 2015
Seattle
✟8,410.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I credit this author for admitting to the very real slippery slope consequence now created because of the SCOTUS decision yesterday. It's incumbent upon the person who supports ssm but not polygamy to show how he's not being a hypocrite when supposedly marriage is "all about love" and nothing else.

Although, to be honest, polygamy is considerably more biblical than SSM..

Upvote 0

dgiharris

Old Crusty Vet
Jan 9, 2013
✟131,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Although, to be honest, polygamy is considerably more biblical than SSM..

Yeah, I've never quite understood the Christian logic that uses SSM as a slippery slope to polygamy. I mean, the same argument would apply to heterosexual marriages... I mean, why don't hetero marriages result in polygamy?

Also, never understood Christian problem with polygamy when polygamy is rampant and approved of in the bible...

As long as there are no overt tax benefits to polygamy, I really don't care if a group of people decide to marry.

All I care about is stable, loving, and caring homes in which the children are raised mentally and physically healthy and given opportunities to reach their full potential yada yada yada....

I don't care if it is a SS couple, a hetero couple, a group of 4, whatever. As long as they are law abiding tax paying citizens and consenting adults, I just don't care how they live their lives.

Upvote 0

pakicetus

Apr 11, 2015
✟89,007.00
Country
Faroe Islands
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Yeah, I've never quite understood the Christian logic that uses SSM as a slippery slope to polygamy. I mean, the same argument would apply to heterosexual marriages... I mean, why don't hetero marriages result in polygamy?

That's genuinely clever. Never seen that argument before.

Upvote 0

TheBarrd

Teller of tales, writer of poems, singer of songs
Mar 1, 2015
Following a Jewish Carpenter
✟14,094.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status

Also, never understood Christian problem with polygamy when polygamy is rampant and approved of in the bible...

As long as there are no overt tax benefits to polygamy, I really don't care if a group of people decide to marry.

All I care about is stable, loving, and caring homes in which the children are raised mentally and physically healthy and given opportunities to reach their full potential yada yada yada....

I don't care if it is a SS couple, a hetero couple, a group of 4, whatever. As long as they are law abiding tax paying citizens and consenting adults, I just don't care how they live their lives.
Wait...why shouldn't group marriages have tax benefits?

Upvote 0

TheBarrd

Mar 1, 2015
✟14,094.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status

Oh, and btw...polygamy in the Bible was never God's idea.
Did you know the first named polygamist in the Bible was a murderer?

Genesis 4:23 And Lamech said unto his wives, Adah and Zillah, Hear my voice; ye wives of Lamech, hearken unto my speech: for I have slain a man to my wounding, and a young man to my hurt.

Upvote 0

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker

1. I don´t think marriage is all about love and nothing else.
2. The problems I see with introducing group marriages are indeed "logistic" (as the author calls them. Not saying they are unsolvable, though.

Reactions: muichimotsu
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Moral Orel

Proud Citizen of Moralton
Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
He said "overt" tax benefits. You know how you get a standard deduction for being married? He's probably worrying that a polygamist relationship might multiply that deduction by the number of wives. My guess is that he is saying one union of how ever many people gets the same deduction as a married couple of just two.

Upvote 0

dgiharris

Old Crusty Vet
Jan 9, 2013
✟131,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
He said "overt" tax benefits. You know how you get a standard deduction for being married? He's probably worrying that a polygamist relationship might multiply that deduction by the number of wives. My guess is that he is saying one union of how ever many people gets the same deduction as a married couple of just two.

You got it.

Basically, you want to make sure there is no loop-hole incentive for group marriage that deprives the state of revenue and/or puts undo burden on the State and businesses. Take for instance, health insurance.

There are a lot of policies out there that automatically extend health insurance coverage to a spouse. However, lets say that applied to multiple spouses. What would stop someone from "marrying" 15 people each with serious health issues just so that their insurance has to cover each spouse.

The counter to this would be for health insurance coverage to be fixed at a certain amount that does not increase as you add spouses. This way, you can't game the system...

that is the sort of protection I have in mind, basically, make it to where you can't game the system with group marriage with tax benefits or other benefits that a married couple enjoy. Essentially you normalize the benefits setting your benefit equation to two people. Whether it be tax deductions or whatever, you make it to where group marriage isn't a means to game the system...

That's genuinely clever. Never seen that argument before.

I have my moments :p

Upvote 0

TheBarrd

Mar 1, 2015
✟14,094.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Why?
Five wives are much more expensive than one.
If they get the deduction for one, why not the other four?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟551,813.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Bah...see, if we'd left marriage as it was...one man, one woman...we wouldn't have to worry with such foolishness as tax benefits for multiple wives.
You're right, though I would say we should just do away with marriage altogether. It's just too complicated to let others in on the fun.

Reactions: Ana the Ist
Upvote 0

Moral Orel

Proud Citizen of Moralton
Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Why?
Five wives are much more expensive than one.
If they get the deduction for one, why not the other four?
Because each wife can work, so you don't need more tax breaks for more income earners.

But we increase the benefit per number of children....
Because children can't work.

Upvote 0

TheBarrd

Mar 1, 2015
✟14,094.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
If you allow the tax deduction for one wife, you must allow it for all of them.
Fair is fair.

However, it is out of our hands. SCOTUS will overrule whatever the various states decide anyway, so why bother yourself about it?

Upvote 0

OldFashionGal

May 17, 2015
✟9,197.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
It does make me wonder why there was ever a uproar over Mormons (I am not a Mormon) having more than one wife? If it's about love then they are just as much entitled to express their love having more than one wife as those wanting ssm because of their love for each other. As for me, I will stick to a husband that only wants one wife :)

Upvote 0

TheBarrd

Mar 1, 2015
✟14,094.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
It does make me wonder why there was ever a uproar over Mormons (I am not a Mormon) having more than one wife? If it's about love then they are just as much entitled to express their love having more than one wife as those wanting ssm because of their love for each other. As for me, I will stick to a husband that only wants one wife :)

Yes...and now that SCOTUS has redefined marriage, we can expect to hear many more such questions.
And, of course, having set the precedent, SCOTUS will have to decide to allow polygamy...polyandry too, why not?
And who-knows-what may be lurking still in that closet?

Upvote 0