Why exactly is rock music Satanic?

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟910,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I'm mostly curious as to the reasons why. Is it the lyrics? Well, can't a person avoid songs with lyrics about suicide, anti religion, drugs, or lyrics that people/God might find offensive? Why label ALL rock music?

I mean, why are Christian rock bands bad? Because they still use that sign that apparently means "Hail Satan?" Where does it say that the sign means hail Satan? Because it apparently looks like a couple of horns? I can think of many other hand gestures that exist that look like a pair of horns, are they all evil? And if it did, why does that matter? Because it mostly means "rock on" now.

I heard the saying that everything we do should be to glorify God but, I don't get how that can possibly work in this sinful world. Sin is literally all around us, isn't what we're supposed to do is try NOT to sin? Because, humans aren't perfect. We're always going to go sin again, isn't what's important that we confess and repent for our sins and try not to sin? I mean, if we lived in a world without sin we'd just be sitting on our beds doing nothing in the day and sleeping at night but, sleep can turn to sin too. So, It's just not POSSIBLE to 100% only do things that aren't sinful and glorify God. I'm not saying glorifying God isn't important... it just can't possibly be every second of our lives. Plus, isn't that why Jesus died? Because God realized everything that I'm saying and gave us a savior?

I just... can't possibly imagine a world in which this works, sorry. And, that's kind of the point heaven is supposed to be unbelievable. Maybe people can finally explain this to me?

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This was being argued LOUDLY 50+ years ago. They said the bent "blues notes" incited lust, that the beat was from the jungles of Africa and used to summon demons, the low bass notes opened up one's soul to those demons and the high notes whipped people into an emotional frenzy. That was pretty much the crux of their argument. My dad said that when someone comes to Christ He changes everything including their taste in music.

Then I saw a video of a preacher from the mid 1940s saying the EXACT SAME THINGS condemning big band jazz.

So I did a little digging on my own. I went back to first century Judea. The music (voices and instruments) was all in unison, (no harmony) and in simple minor key modes. Rock music is much closer to that than are classical symphonies or hymns.

Upvote 0

TastyWallet

Jan 19, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟15,515.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I honestly don't know anyone who is arguing this in 2016. As Dave pointed out, this was an argument from several decades ago, and has since subsided. Rock and roll music is not inherently sinful. What we choose to do with it can make it sinful or not. if we do it for the glory of God, then I do not see how anyone can make an argument that it's sinful to engage in this genre of music.

Regarding the "rock horns": It is extremely important to take modern day context into consideration. In logic, there is a fallacy called the "genetic fallacy," which occurs when someone says that something is bad simply because of where it originated. It is like saying the Volkswagen Beetle is bad because it was invented in Germany, during the Nazi regime. We need to look at the motivations and modern day context behind the hand symbol.

Reactions: Cearbhall
Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟910,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
People still speak against rock music today so, I was just wondering.

I luckily haven't had parents like that but, I've known kids who came from Christian homes like that where they say, "absolutely no rock music".

Then again, I was born 30 years ago so that makes sense why I grew up like that and why their parents would still be against rock music.

I've listened to rock music a majority of my life, and yeah probably some bad rock music. I mean, I can see people's defense of lyrics take for example Ozzy Osbourne's song "Suicide Solution." remember all the controversy around that? I don't because I wasn't alive :p. But, I've read about it and I feel like Christians had a right to talk against the song due to the lyrics. I liked Ozzy as a kid but, I don't know if I'd listen to his music anymore.

But, there is rock music out there that glorifies God. And there is rock music that doesn't talk about sex, or drugs, or suicide, or devil worship or anything like that. So, it made me wonder what's the problem with music like that?

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am going to turn 61 in just over a month. I have been a christian rock musician for close to 50 years.

I love this anthem:

Or if you want one of mine: (actually my wife wrote this)

Upvote 0

BookofMatt

Jesus is Lord
Nov 7, 2012
California
✟30,424.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've listened to rock music a majority of my life, and yeah probably some bad rock music. I mean, I can see people's defense of lyrics take for example Ozzy Osbourne's song "Suicide Solution." remember all the controversy around that? I don't because I wasn't alive :p. But, I've read about it and I feel like Christians had a right to talk against the song due to the lyrics. I liked Ozzy as a kid but, I don't know if I'd listen to his music anymore.

"Suicide Solution" is a song about the danger of alcoholism. The word "solution" is intended to be used in the same way you'd describe a chemical solution. It was written about AC/DC singer Bon Scott, who drank himself to death several months before the song was recorded: "Now you live inside a bottle/The reaper's traveling at full throttle/It's catching you but you don't see/The reaper is you and the reaper is me".

It's funny that I was just talking about this exact sort of thing in another thread right before this, how hypocrites love to stir up protest over things in the media they either mistakenly or deliberately misconstrue to fit upon their own moral high horse. True, the lyrics are a little cryptic, but "Suicide Solution" is in no way a pro-suicide song, just as The Rolling Stones' "Sympathy for the Devil" (about the wartime atrocities of man) or AC/DC's "Highway to Hell" (about the stress of touring) and "Hell Ain't a Bad Place to Be" (about a bad relationship) are in no way about worshipping Satan, even though they were certainly accused of such and are still inexplicably used to illustrate the "Satanic" nature of rock and roll.

There's nothing wrong with metaphor, and there's nothing wrong with tackling dark subject matter. "Suicide Solution" is a good song because it's cautioning against the recklessness of alcoholism which claims so many lives. Music is a powerful tool which can help us deal with our emotions, and sometimes dark or sad songs can be extremely beneficial for a multitude of reasons. Having struggled with suicidal depression, I've listened to a lot of songs about suicide which have helped me cope with my problems or view them in a different light or just make me feel better that I can relate with someone else. I've never heard a pro-suicide song in my life, which is why it's just patently ridiculous that people would protest against a song's subject matter without even taking its context into consideration.

But, there is rock music out there that glorifies God. And there is rock music that doesn't talk about sex, or drugs, or suicide, or devil worship or anything like that. So, it made me wonder what's the problem with music like that?

Like DaveW-Ohev said, there were times when jazz and ragtime were considered gateways to Hell and sinfulness. There's such a wide spectrum of beliefs over the supposed "sinfulness" of music, let alone rock music. True, it's mostly dwindled over the last several decades, but there are still some people go as far as to say that only hymns are acceptable, and using electric instruments for worship music is heretical. You're never going to find a definitive, unifying answer on the subject: it's not like you can open up your Bible and find a quote from Jesus saying "Blessed be Metallica pre-'Black Album', for Cliff Burton's killer bass riffs were truly the will of my Father".

It all comes down to what YOU feel comfortable listening to. If you feel like a song's subject matter is making you uncomfortable or is in conflict with your faith, don't listen to it. Personally, my faith is strong enough that it's not remotely threatened by rock songs. Being both a fan and musician within the punk and metal scenes, I hear the occasional anti-religion song, but a 2-4 minute song isn't going to immediately change my years of devotion to Christ.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟910,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I am going to turn 61 in just over a month. I have been a christian rock musician for close to 50 years.

I love this anthem:

Or if you want one of mine: (actually my wife wrote this)

I will listen to both later today.

"Suicide Solution" is a song about the danger of alcoholism. The word "solution" is intended to be used in the same way you'd describe a chemical solution. It was written about AC/DC singer Bon Scott, who drank himself to death several months before the song was recorded: "Now you live inside a bottle/The reaper's traveling at full throttle/It's catching you but you don't see/The reaper is you and the reaper is me".

It's funny that I was just talking about this exact sort of thing in another thread right before this, how hypocrites love to stir up protest over things in the media they either mistakenly or deliberately misconstrue to fit upon their own moral high horse. True, the lyrics are a little cryptic, but "Suicide Solution" is in no way a pro-suicide song, just as The Rolling Stones' "Sympathy for the Devil" (about the wartime atrocities of man) or AC/DC's "Highway to Hell" (about the stress of touring) and "Hell Ain't a Bad Place to Be" (about a bad relationship) are in no way about worshipping Satan, even though they were certainly accused of such and are still inexplicably used to illustrate the "Satanic" nature of rock and roll.

There's nothing wrong with metaphor, and there's nothing wrong with tackling dark subject matter. "Suicide Solution" is a good song because it's cautioning against the recklessness of alcoholism which claims so many lives. Music is a powerful tool which can help us deal with our emotions, and sometimes dark or sad songs can be extremely beneficial for a multitude of reasons. Having struggled with suicidal depression, I've listened to a lot of songs about suicide which have helped me cope with my problems or view them in a different light or just make me feel better that I can relate with someone else. I've never heard a pro-suicide song in my life, which is why it's just patently ridiculous that people would protest against a song's subject matter without even taking its context into consideration.

Like DaveW-Ohev said, there were times when jazz and ragtime were considered gateways to Hell and sinfulness. There's such a wide spectrum of beliefs over the supposed "sinfulness" of music, let alone rock music. True, it's mostly dwindled over the last several decades, but there are still some people go as far as to say that only hymns are acceptable, and using electric instruments for worship music is heretical. You're never going to find a definitive, unifying answer on the subject: it's not like you can open up your Bible and find a quote from Jesus saying "Blessed be Metallica pre-'Black Album', for Cliff Burton's killer bass riffs were truly the will of my Father".

It all comes down to what YOU feel comfortable listening to. If you feel like a song's subject matter is making you uncomfortable or is in conflict with your faith, don't listen to it. Personally, my faith is strong enough that it's not remotely threatened by rock songs. Being both a fan and musician within the punk and metal scenes, I hear the occasional anti-religion song, but a 2-4 minute song isn't going to immediately change my years of devotion to Christ.

Thank you for explaining the entire song of Suicide Solution. Like I said, I wasn't alive and just read a bunch of stuff about the issues that surrounded Ozzy Osbourne because he used to be one of my favorite singers. I was kind of obsessed with 50's-70's rock bands when I first got into music. I did read about Bon Scott dying from Alcoholism, I don't think there is a single person who hasn't, the man was a rock legend. It was indeed a shame.

Actually, I never really questioned ACDC before and used to listen to "Highway to hell" all of the time. ACDC was another one of my favorite bands. It didn't strike me personally as a bad song either. Haven't heard "Sympathy for the devil." or "Hell aint a bad place to be".

What you say about the majority of rock music, I have to say sounds true. Music can be beneficial. I currently listen to the Christian Rock band "Skillet" a lot. In fact, I'll be going to one of their rock concerts on my Anniversary.

They have many songs that tackle dark issues like, their song "Lucy". Which, deals with the issue of abortion and how much a father who decided to abort his child, massively regretted doing so and wanted to repent for his sin. "Not going to die." Which, is yet another song about suicide but, deals with a wife saving her husband from suicide.

You're right, I shouldn't have qualms about listening to rock music anymore. I was concerned for nothing, thank you.

Reactions: Te're'sa
Upvote 0
Feb 3, 2016
Northern Idaho
✟6,941.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I've always believed that there is the spirit of God, the spirit of the devil and the spirit of man in music. Obviously, anything that promotes sinful thoughts and actions is of the devil. The devil is subtle in how he makes those sort of thoughts creep into your mind. It doesn't have to be some chug, screamo metal with the obvious title like Highway to hell, or Running with the Devil. No, it can be a subtle country or hip-hop song with slow music and suggestive lyrics that get you thinking about doing something wrong or lead you into temptation. If that kind of music makes you start fantasizing about such things, do you think you should be listening to it?

However, there is a lot of music that comes from the spirit of man...just beautiful, sometimes funny and upbeat lyrics about everyday life that I don't find harmful to listen to in my opinion. Louis Armstrong's What a Wonderful Life is one of my favorite songs. Some church leaders would have a conniption about that, but I ask why? The man is just singing about how wonderful life is. Some people won't even acknowledge that the spirit of man is even a category. It's black and white, God or the devil. I don't agree with that. As long as the secular music doesn't promote sinful thoughts or actions, I see no harm in it. Maybe I'm wrong.

I heard the saying that everything we do should be to glorify God but, I don't get how that can possibly work in this sinful world.
The Bible does tell us to make a JOYFUL noise unto the Lord. The problem lies in that some people interpret that as the ONLY noise we're supposed to make. Personally, I interpret that as the TYPE of noise we're supposed to make when praising GOD....not the inspirational music or music we listen to around the house or in the car. Because I believe you have two different types of worship: vertical worship and horizontal worship. There are songs that glorify God which go up. And then there are songs that encourage, uplift or inspire a congregation or audience. That is horizontal worship. According to the Bible, when we're sending praise up to God, it should be in a joyful form. That's what I get from that verse. Whatever format that comes in shouldn't be hastily condemned just because it has some drums or an electric guitar chugging away in there.

Keep in mind too...people will and always have condemned anything that they don't particularly like with no basis for doing so. Not just Christianity, but everything! My own father hated anything with drums in it. He just didn't like drums (because of exactly what DaveW posted!), so anything that was too loud or made you excited was banned in our house growing up. Boy, Dad wouldn't like the kind of music I listen to today. J Moss, Tamala Mann, Tasha Cobbs, Marvin Sapp, Mercy Me, Jason Gray, to name a few. Even ol' Dottie Rambo, the Hoppers and the Gaithers got accused of playing devil music! LOL!!

Thing is, we shouldn't condemn something because one or a few people lose control over it! But, like with all things in government, religion and big business...to keep control and to ensure people aren't straying, we've created laws/traditions against possibilities that might inconvenience leaders/pastors/supervisors into doing their job of counseling individuals. Where Sally doesn't have a problem with dancing, Chuck might, so let's just ban dancing altogether! Let's ban drinking, going to movies, women wearing pants & makeup, anyone being rich, etc...see where I'm going with that? Instead of teaching people to rely on God to guide them if something is right or wrong, we just create a blanket, safety policy. Honestly, that type of mentality is where I think the whole rock n roll issue comes from. People fail to fully understand something that scares them...so the knee-jerk reaction is to ban it! Ban it all!

Lastly, try not to resent the older crowd for having those traditions. That sort of change is very hard for some people to grasp or understand. When people have been programmed for centuries to follow a certain set of standards (that were added) they have a hard time accepting anything but what ol pastor so-n-so or grandpa, or sister sally has said about it for years. Forget researching anything for themselves or educating themselves. Kind of like politics, huh! lol

That's just my two cents from 40+ years of growing up as a PK and having attended many different churches who go on and on about this issue.

Upvote 0

SilverBlade

May 12, 2013
✟16,008.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I think that people look far too deep into the music or how the band is dressed up. If they don't see pure white robes and harmonized singing, they automatically think "[bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse], SATAN!".. or they hear of the conspiracies surrounding backmasking (which I fail to see how hearing something in reverse can make you suddenly be susceptible to a hidden message without you knowing..complete bull to me).

Most bands dress weirdly (like K.I.S.S) because it's simply a show, it's a costume, it's Halloween. No different than people dressing up as Star Trek or Star Wars characters at Comic Con. After their show or during intermissions, they act like normal people discussing their next album or set or what their weekend plans are. People may think they sit in a weird inverted star saying a weird chant filled to skulls and what ever, but they only 'imagine' that, based on what they see on stage.

Many 'rock' singers and musicians are devout Christians, even if they do dress up heavy metal clowns.

Upvote 0

BookofMatt

Jesus is Lord
Nov 7, 2012
California
✟30,424.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Most bands dress weirdly (like K.I.S.S) because it's simply a show, it's a costume, it's Halloween. No different than people dressing up as Star Trek or Star Wars characters at Comic Con. After their show or during intermissions, they act like normal people discussing their next album or set or what their weekend plans are. People may think they sit in a weird inverted star saying a weird chant filled to skulls and what ever, but they only 'imagine' that, based on what they see on stage.

This is brutally accurate, and I say that as someone who's not only a big fan of bands with wacky props and costumes, but has worked with and performed with many.

The vast majority of the time, bands who utilize "evil" imagery or theatrics do it with an underlying sense of camp and comedy. GWAR is my favorite example: they formed during the moral panic against heavy metal and were intentionally designed to be as shocking and offensive as possible with demonic costumes and gory stage shows, though it was all on top of ridiculously goofy and satirical lyrics, and I can personally attest that the guys under the costumes were bigger fans of the Washington Redskins than of Satan. Even for smaller part-time bands like the ones I've worked with, it's all just a show. I know a band who goes all out with "Satanic" imagery like goat horns and pentagrams, but their songs are less devil worship and more jokey songs about pizza and horror movies. Same with KISS: they tried to look scary with their fire-breathing and blood spitting, but they still wrote songs called "Love Her All I Can" and "I Was Made for Lovin' You".

I know there are a few bands who promote Satanism (in various forms) in earnest, but they're far, far from the mainstream, more likely to be found in the underground circles of Scandinavian black metal, where I doubt many - if any - Christians are likely to tread in the first place. And I'd bet good money most of them "practice" Satanism in the sense of an atheistic philosophy which outright rejects the supernatural, so I doubt even they chant spells in inverted stars.

Personally, I feel making accusations of Satanism in music is a worthless endeavor. After all, Sammy Davis Jr. and Liberace were both one-time members of the Church of Satan. If Christians are going to target pop culture for protest instead of actual worldly problems, at least go after more pressing issues in mainstream music like racism, misogyny or the exploitation of women and minors. Those seem like far more important things to address than some band using spooky images on their album covers.

or they hear of the conspiracies surrounding backmasking (which I fail to see how hearing something in reverse can make you suddenly be susceptible to a hidden message without you knowing..complete bull to me).

There's no merit whatsoever to any claims of backmasking. In fact, the actual practice of adding reverse messages didn't even take off until the Trinity Broadcasting Network made the first accusations of Satanic backmasking in 1982, about Led Zeppelin's "Stairway to Heaven".

My favorite example is one which I think sums up the panic about backmasking perfectly, when you play the end of "Weird Al" Yankovic's "I Remember Larry" in reverse: "Wow, you must have an awful lot of free time on your hands".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟281,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
I'm mostly curious as to the reasons why. Is it the lyrics? Well, can't a person avoid songs with lyrics about suicide, anti religion, drugs, or lyrics that people/God might find offensive? Why label ALL rock music?

I mean, why are Christian rock bands bad? Because they still use that sign that apparently means "Hail Satan?" Where does it say that the sign means hail Satan? Because it apparently looks like a couple of horns? I can think of many other hand gestures that exist that look like a pair of horns, are they all evil? And if it did, why does that matter? Because it mostly means "rock on" now.

I heard the saying that everything we do should be to glorify God but, I don't get how that can possibly work in this sinful world. Sin is literally all around us, isn't what we're supposed to do is try NOT to sin? Because, humans aren't perfect. We're always going to go sin again, isn't what's important that we confess and repent for our sins and try not to sin? I mean, if we lived in a world without sin we'd just be sitting on our beds doing nothing in the day and sleeping at night but, sleep can turn to sin too. So, It's just not POSSIBLE to 100% only do things that aren't sinful and glorify God. I'm not saying glorifying God isn't important... it just can't possibly be every second of our lives. Plus, isn't that why Jesus died? Because God realized everything that I'm saying and gave us a savior?

I just... can't possibly imagine a world in which this works, sorry. And, that's kind of the point heaven is supposed to be unbelievable. Maybe people can finally explain this to me?

Amos 5:23 Take away from me the noise of your songs; to the melody of your harps I will not listen.

All kinds of instruments were used in the Bible and the only time that God rejected music was when it didn't come from to heart:

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,865.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Well much of it is anti christian in its message so thats probably why it got associated with devils music.

In terms of the music itself, without lyrics, some of it is occult based, because in occult circles they have drummers that drum up spirits, you might have heard some hippy or new age ppl talk about their 'drum circle' Basically harmonic music, is heavenly music and music that has downbeats is not.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,865.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I think just be discerning of the music you listen to and if anything is a bit off, like it wouldnt please God, dont listen.

You can ask Him, as we are in relationship and He'll let you know what He likes and doesnt like to hear.

Upvote 0

SilverBlade

May 12, 2013
✟16,008.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Well much of it is anti christian in its message so thats probably why it got associated with devils music.

In terms of the music itself, without lyrics, some of it is occult based, because in occult circles they have drummers that drum up spirits, you might have heard some hippy or new age ppl talk about their 'drum circle' Basically harmonic music, is heavenly music and music that has downbeats is not.

So all of the music with drums in the background is somehow doing magic and summoning demons?

Then I guess all of the marching bands for collage sports MUST be all satanic in nature!!

Upvote 0

Spiritlight

✰•.¸¸★•*´¨`*•.¸.✰
Apr 1, 2011
manitoba
✟23,118.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Something from the church of Satan or satanists in satanic. Instrumental music itself is just a noise much like any other and has no meaning outside the one you give it. Now, as for the lyrics they may be used to tempt a person which is what the devils job is to tempt believers into sin so use your discretion regarding that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BookofMatt

Jesus is Lord
Nov 7, 2012
California
✟30,424.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Something from the church of Satan or satanists in satanic. Instrumental music itself is just a noise much like any other and has no meaning outside the one you give it. Now, as for the lyrics they may be used to tempt a person which is what the devils job is to tempt believers into sin so use your discretion regarding that.

Name some. If you're going to make claims that "most" rock music is anti-Christian or that there's such a prevalent influence from "The Church of Satan" (which, as mentioned, even Liberace was a member of and is ultimately a meaningless title), then back it up with some hard evidence. What are these "anti-Christian" songs? Which rock stars are Satanists? Which song lyrics seemingly exist to "tempt a person"?

There's this 'great' fundamentalist propaganda film from 1982 called 'Rock: It's Your Decision' which is theoretically supposed to be about a teenager becoming wise to rock and roll's Satanic nature but is instead a really depressing story about how religious zealotry erodes your sanity. All throughout the film he makes claims that rock music is Satanic and some of rock's most well-known musicians are all practicing Satanists, but he doesn't name a single band or musician; at the end, he delivers a sermon and names a laundry list of supposedly Satanic songs, and not a single one has anything to do with Satanism or the occult (e.g. AC/DC's "Highway to Hell" (about touring), Santana's "Evil Ways" (about a neglectful girlfriend, i.e. "you've got to change your evil ways"), Jefferson Starship's "Dance with the Dragon" (referencing the Chinese year of the dragon), etc., etc., etc.). That's what all claims of Satanism in rock music sound like in a nutshell: a lot of hot air and very few facts.

Of course there are some bands who earnestly promote Satanism (though most typically in the sense of an atheistic philosophy removed from the supernatural) or have strong anti-Christian messages (though the vast majority I've heard are more anti-organized religion, anti-hypocrisy, anti-fundamentalism, etc. than specifically anti-Christian or anti-faith), but those are almost always found in decidedly un-mainstream circles of extreme metal, and I'm seriously doubting either of you were about to specifically name bands like Deicide, Dark Funeral or Brujeria as illustrations. If you're going to make these claims about rock music in general, though, it's going to require a lot more evidence than just hearsay, assumptions, conspiracy theories or me naming obscure death metal bands.

I'm not trying to pick on either of you, but to me there's just a patent ridiculousness to these types of claims, but if they were at least backed up with acceptable examples instead of almost always just being empty accusations, I would at least have the respect to agree to disagree.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,865.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
No its just the association, depends on the drummers intent.
A lot of rock bands actually do have occult links and the bible says to avoid appearance of evil.

I find that people that find it hard to give up are the most hooked on the sound.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,865.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
There is spritual components to music. In heaven the angels are continually worshipping God and they have heavenly music and choirs singing praises. The music is unlike anything on earth, its far more beautiful than anything we can conceive.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,865.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
You wll need to ask God Almighty Himself and not the god of this world. There are lots of rock stars emulating their favourite gods, it can be a form of idolatry.

Another thing about rock music is it is agressive and angry a lot of the time, and depressing. Doesnt sound spiritually uplifting to me, or worthy of praise. Also theres a lot of focus on self, but thats also can be said of pop music in general. Pop music mostly has automatic drumming beats, they use a drum machine. Its use to excite people, esp trance music, to raise the heartbeat.

The reason why rock beats appeal to our sensual nature is because 4/4 time is close to what our heartbeat rate is.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,865.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Phil spector invented the 'wall of sound' studio technique which pretty much blocked out anyones thinking and you just heard wall to wall music on one track. He had a sad history and was killed or something or other. Also, many rock bands become hooked on a lifestyle of sex and drugs, with their groupies.

For a christian, thats not clean. Why would you want to subject yourself to that influence.

Upvote 0