1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why don't christians celebrate Passover?

Discussion in 'Questions by Non-Christians (Archived)' started by AirPo, Oct 19, 2004.

1. AirPo

AirPo with a Touch of Grey

Faith:
    Atheist
    ssia

2. crossrunner

crossrunner Serving the Lord joyfully since 1981!

Faith:
    Non-Denominational
    I actually do observe the significance of it. My teacher assistant is Jewish and has taught me a great deal about passover. I think its a great holy day. I have never been part of a sedar....although I would love to be.

3. Rafael

Rafael Only time enough for love

Faith:
    Christian
    We do celecbrate passover as communion, as the fullness of the passover is the blood of the lamb applied to our lives. Instead of the blood of the lamb being painted across the posts and lintel of the doorways, the blood covers our sins and God sees the blood of lamb instead of our sins. This is fullness of the Jewish passover in Jesus - the promised Messiah.

Luke 22:15 And he said unto them, With desire I have desired to eat this passover with you before I suffer:
    16 For I say unto you, I will not any more eat thereof, until it be fulfilled in the kingdom of God.
    17 And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and said, Take this, and divide it among yourselves:
    18 For I say unto you, I will not drink of the fruit of the vine, until the kingdom of God shall come.
    19 And he took bread, and gave thanks, and brake it, and gave unto them, saying, This is my body which is given for you: this do in remembrance of me.
    20 Likewise also the cup after supper, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood, which is shed for you.

4. AirPo

Faith:
    Atheist
    Why no sedar?

5. crashedman

crashedman Guest

Because we aren't OT Jews.

Crashedman

6. SPALATIN

SPALATIN Lifetime friend of Dr. Luther

Faith:
    Lutheran
    True Christians will observe the significance of Passover because in it is the Promise of the Messiah.

7. AirPo

Faith:
    Atheist
    Why is Passover only for OT Jews? Is there something about it that is not christain?

8. Asar'el

Asar'el New Member

Faith:
    Christian
    The OT passover was a figure of the sacrifice of Christ, the Lamb of God. Those that observe it in the manner of the OT could be said to diminish from (i.e. miss the significance of) the true Passover secured by the blood of Christ. I can't quite see how the old and new could be held together...

9. rapturegirl

rapturegirl New Member

Faith:
    Pentecostal
    I am Jewish and I do observe the passover...I thank God for his mercy and grace ...His right hand did mightly wonders...He told the Jews never to forget the passover...His precious son Christ Jesus is my is our passover...

10. Tavita

Tavita beside quiet waters He restores my soul..

Faith:
    Christian
    There's nothing wrong with celebrating Passover as long as Jesus and His shed blood is the central focus. Most seders don't emphasise the Messiah, Jesus, enough, even though Messiah is in there, the focus is mostly on the Exodus account. And you'll find the majority of seders are written by Jews who don't believe that Messiah has already come.
    As Raphe pointed out, most christians believe that the passover has been translated or brought into the New Testament as communion.

11. Jinn_Ku

Jinn_Ku Irregular Member

Faith:
    Christian
    Is there a verse to support this? I have never found one.

12. Tavita

Tavita beside quiet waters He restores my soul..

Faith:
    Christian
    The question was asked 'Why don't christians celebrate Passover', if you ask most christians they'll give you the above answer. I don't know where the scripture is for it. I didn't say I believed it.

13. AirPo

Faith:
    Atheist
    Thank you all for your answers. :)