United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
alexiscurious said:
From Deuteronomy 23: No one who has been emasculated by crushing or cutting may enter the assembly of the Lord. Why does God care about the absence of one's private parts?

The reason for this was that many people would do this as part of pagan practices to prove their devotion to their god. It was expanded by practice to apply only to those who elected to do so after they were converted to Judaism. Those who converted were allowed in practice by certain sects of Judaism regardless of past sins.

Upvote 0

dcalling

Jan 31, 2014
✟107,345.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The reason for this was that many people would do this as part of pagan practices to prove their devotion to their god. It was expanded by practice to apply only to those who elected to do so after they were converted to Judaism. Those who converted were allowed in practice by certain sects of Judaism regardless of past sins.

Just before exit the thread, I notice the very cute baby picture and can't help to come back to look again, and notice the text.

Remind me of a movie I have seen (based on a true story), where a very young boy had a near death experience, and in that he was in heaven, and Jesus showed him a little girl, which is his sister died shortly after birth. Heaven is full of child like souls.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
From Deuteronomy 23:
No one who has been emasculated by crushing or cutting may enter the assembly of the Lord.

Why does God care about the absence of one's private parts?

Imperfection is absolutely not permitted in His Holy Place.
It is OK if the person is outside of it. God still takes care of him.

Upvote 0
H

humbleServant77

From Deuteronomy 23:
No one who has been emasculated by crushing or cutting may enter the assembly of the Lord.

First of all, to examine this one must decide and declare if your perspective is that of a Jew, or as a Christian. Personally, I don't see great value in Judaism now, and I do see great reason(s) to flee it, so obviously I will speak from the Christian perspective. Clearly that is a perspective you do not share, so you limit yourself to one who is looking towards the inside, from the outside.

The entirety of the section of books your passage comes from has great and deep meaning, revealing Christ in more detail than we see Him anywhere else in Scripture. It is also bone-dry, tedious to read, and therefore overlooked by most. It really takes the Holy Spirit to illuminate any buried nugget of Truth in here, and the writings of Paul allude to this frequently.

In short, I would urge you away from your pursuit of Mosaic law while you are an unbeliever; all it will do is harden your heart against the Lord. Notice that same thing also happened to Pharaoh, and see where it got him.

Upvote 0

Bobinator

Jul 30, 2007
✟11,899.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
From Deuteronomy 23:

The Old Testament Law was strict and harsh. But as Paul explained in Galatians 3:24, it was a school master to lead God’s people to eventually being justified through the Law of Faith. It runs along the same reasoning of teaching algebra in school when most of us will never use it in adulthood. It’s a learning process that conditions our minds. The Law made a clear distinction between right and wrong, acceptable and not acceptable. We know now that physical emasculation in truth doesn’t separate us from God. But homosexuality will.

Upvote 0